Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best hippy bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-23, 12:33 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
...I was a hippie, from about 1970 when Zumwalt let us grow beards and longer hair in the Navy, until about the end of that decade, when I left the organic farm in Forest Lake to get a real job. The only bikes I ever recall having in that ten year span were all old Raleigh three speeds, not always branded Raleigh. But if you got far enough out in the country, in your pursuit of a return to the land, it was mostly motorized travel.

I'm not trying to pass myself off as some sort of authority on hippieness, but if you are stoned enough, you will stop worrying about which bike is appropriate.
Old 01-13-23, 06:16 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 943 Posts
Don't VW's and hippies kind of go together ? It'd be better if it was a microbus

Old 01-13-23, 06:33 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
Whatever Sheldon Brown rode......
In the end, Sheldon rode a recumbent trike. My idea of a hippy bike would be an old beat-up department store single-speed bike with loosely-spoked wheels and ape-hanger bars added.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 01-14-23, 12:41 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
you might want one of these for your new lifestyle

Old 01-14-23, 08:27 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 486 Posts
No self-respecting flower child would ever mount bicycles that nice. Find a Schwinn Suburban and paint it something unusual, like "over-ripe banana" scheme.
Old 01-14-23, 09:03 AM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts

[size=13px]Check out a James Garner movie called "Marlowe 1969". Tons of hippy stuff inside.There's even a poster on a wall I had on my bedroom wall at the time. I had a Stingray, but was going the mini bike route.[/size]

Old 01-14-23, 09:16 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
One of these will become a hippy bike. I’m leaning towards the one speed with flat pedals great with a pair of Chuck Taylors. Since I no longer train on bikes because I’m burned out. The focus of the a bike now is utility like cruising around the campground or cruising to get a 6 pack or a spin to a swimming hole. Maintaining 6 bikes is too expensive and too much of a PITA. Since I’m into walking and hiking now the bike is more for fun. Install the hippy bike with a bag frame and gas tank style bag with the standard seat post bag. Water bottle cages and a nite rider light mount. The stuff I already have no no expenses. A cruiser so to speak. Simplifying activities to where they are actually fun and not a chore. Recharge everything I guess you can say. Focus on one bike the rest are going into storage for my questionable sanity before I go insane . Going back to the KISS concept, Keep It Simple Stupid. Suggestions
The back bike with the drop bars.
Loosen the bar clamp and rotate the bars back until the horns are pointing at 230. There you go. it's a hippy bike.
Old 01-16-23, 01:07 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Likes For mtnbud:
Old 01-16-23, 05:45 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Kids these days have zero idea what a hippie was. It cannot be relived or borrowed by today's youth. They really need to come up with a different term that defines their "way of life" rather than using the term "hippie" as they insult the people that lived the hippie lifestyle.
I can tell you that those of us that really were hippies were messed up inside and out, didn't have mom or dad's basement to return to, or parents to beg for money. That was not the hippie movement, man. It was life on the road, communes that worked the land, independence at a great price. Most of us grew up and out of it, those that didn't got more lost.

Oh yeah, if we had a bike it was likely a Murray, Huffy, or an old English three speed.
Old 01-17-23, 01:31 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
For the first time I used an AI image generator and plugged in ‘bike decorated by a hippie’ or it more looks like a children’s parade bike.

Old 01-17-23, 10:15 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Hondo
Your off-roading needs to make you smile.
Maybe get a mountain in your future?

edit: What is Foo content? Foo-lish? Foo-like? Foo-lhardy? Foo-Foo?

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-17-23 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-17-23, 01:21 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
These 2 get my vote:

WOW... They look so familiar...
Old 01-18-23, 09:35 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Hippies were young adults living back in the 1960s and early 1970s, and buy far the most popular bicycle for young adults in that time period was the ten-speed racer, that is why there are so many old ten-speeds laying around everywhere today. The chopper bikes were what kids rode back then before puberty. Cruisers were for nerds and old people, or people with no money. So given a choice the hippy would go for the ten-speed, but if they were poor they would settle for any old adult-sized used bike they could get their hands on.
Likes For beng1:
Old 01-19-23, 08:23 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Get your nomenclature straight.

Hippie =

Hippy =
Likes For thumpism:
Old 01-20-23, 11:33 PM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
You need a recumbent for a hippy machine. String some Christmas lights, add a sound system, get 26 tail lights all blinking randomly, full rain fairing, tow a trailer with your old lady in it and have a lb of rag weed hidden in the frame and a jug of red mountain between your lips.
Old 01-21-23, 02:59 AM
6door74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Get your nomenclature straight.

Hippie =

Hippy =
+1 for hippy
Likes For 6door74:
Old 01-23-23, 07:53 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Go find a free bicycle and make it rideable. Done.
All that other stuff bugging you might benefit from therapy.
Likes For LeeG:
Old 01-26-23, 12:23 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
The hippies never really rode bikes, cycling really became a thing with that generation in the post-hippie zeitgeist of the 1970s, when the ideas of the hippies were becoming mainstream so that people were being active and the oil crisis was hitting home. A certain bunch of ex-hippies in Marin country took old balloon tire cruisers and invented a little thing called mountin biking at about that time. The Steves were busy inventing the PC in a garage not too far away and there was generally an extraordinary amount of creativity being unleashed in the Bay Area. Kinda makes you wonder if the machines we're using to communicate about and the machines we are using to do it are at least partially a result of the creativity unleashed by the psychedelics they'd been ingesting in the years previously. Also, in 1976, the year a small PDKL45 was being born half a world away, the Bikecentennial tours were underway, and the organization established to organize them was to live on and become the Adventure Cycing Association. The hippies weren't crazy about bikes, but the adults they became were in many ways.

Still, look to the orange beast. Maybe find a front porteur rack, use P-clamps if there are no mounts, or go the bag route. Single speed is versatile, but the orange bike is not really hippie. What you're thinking is a utility/urgan/bikepacker, so you could also throw a Surly KM fork on one of the hardtail 29ers. Bikepacking, to my mind isn't a hippie thing, but it does fit with the post-hippie ethos of the 1970s. Oh, and whoever said Surly, it's more of a punk thing. No hippie ever came up with the Surly font, it's amphetamine psychosis-schitzophrenia-punk, rather than Filmore Theatre band poster and I would argue that the modern hippie bike is the Rivendell, the whole brand ethos fits perfectly with that of the hippie generation as they are in the present day in many ways.

Last edited by PDKL45; 01-26-23 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-26-23, 03:07 AM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by rsbob
you might want one of these for your new lifestyle
Did anyone ever see one of these in person? They were not uncommon in certain circles at a certain time in the 90s.
Old 01-26-23, 04:49 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Circle

Originally Posted by mtnbud
groovey man...
Likes For rossiny:
Old 01-26-23, 05:27 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
I’m old enough to remember hippy “culture,” and to have spent a little time in my youth in a New Mexico commune. Hippies didn’t ride bicycles. Their numerous longhaired, barefoot, seldom-washed kids rode bikes like crazy, hippies themselves slept all day, partied all night, and drove into town to swap food stamps for beer and cigarettes. Needless to say, hippy children didn’t suffer from obesity. To this day the smell of patchouli oil makes me sick.

A hippy car was anything which was at least as old as the hippy, ran on bald tires, seldom had more than a quarter tank of gas, and reeked of stale tobacco smoke. The bicycles laying around the commune were mostly kids Schwinns, with lots of patches on the tubes.
Old 01-26-23, 10:58 PM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I’m old enough to remember hippy “culture,” and to have spent a little time in my youth in a New Mexico commune. Hippies didn’t ride bicycles. Their numerous longhaired, barefoot, seldom-washed kids rode bikes like crazy, hippies themselves slept all day, partied all night, and drove into town to swap food stamps for beer and cigarettes. Needless to say, hippy children didn’t suffer from obesity. To this day the smell of patchouli oil makes me sick.

A hippy car was anything which was at least as old as the hippy, ran on bald tires, seldom had more than a quarter tank of gas, and reeked of stale tobacco smoke. The bicycles laying around the commune were mostly kids Schwinns, with lots of patches on the tubes.
Fellow Gen-Xer? This is so accurate to my own childhood, half a world away, it's almost scary. Incense does it for me, though.
Old 01-27-23, 08:45 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
The bicycles laying around the commune were mostly kids Schwinns, with lots of patches on the tubes.
Originally Posted by PDKL45
Fellow Gen-Xer? This is so accurate to my own childhood, half a world away, it's almost scary. Incense does it for me, though.
I'm also a fellow Gen-Xer. Fun fact, I was once kidnapped from a commune.
Old 01-27-23, 09:42 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
There is not a way for someone to mention being institutionalized without me just wanting a Pepsi.

I digress.

Burnout is a real thing. Sometimes it requires a break. Sometimes it takes a change of scenery/trails. For me, having a wide range of things I’m not very good at works.

I may ride my bike for the first time in 2023 today. I may go skiing again though. I’ll decide soon.

Fun fact. I went from 40+ starts a year (March-September season and nearly every weekend + weekday crits) to zero, and basically went rock climbing for a little over a decade.

Came back to cycling for long rides, weird objectives, and it’s still fun to nerd out on gear.

We’re all doing this for fun, make it what you want it to be.

As for the beer bike, how about a gas powered cruiser? Cause **** the hippies. https://www.bikeberry.com/products/2...ch-cruiser-diy
Old 01-27-23, 09:55 PM
PDKL45

The porteur rack works well for beer and various other stuff, like tents etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.