Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Right hooked her. Ran over her. She's dead.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Right hooked her. Ran over her. She's dead.

Old 08-31-22, 09:59 PM
Esos1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
That's what we wish. Because the driver remained at the scene, he'd most likely be released without charges.
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have seen cyclists ride right into the danger zone of vehicles that were signaling their turn and in the process of a turn. I suspect an alert cyclist would have been able to avoid this if it were truly a right hook as opposed to more of a sideswipe. Physics just don't support a large truck making a rapid hook into that parking lot. Visually and audibly there were likely indicators of a slowing truck, and that is supposed to serve as a warning. I drive in areas with a fragmented bike lane system. It can be hard to remain constantly aware of when there is a marked lane beside me. I will never overtake a cyclist and turn right in front of them. I have had cyclists ride into my danger zone as I am turning.
This is why I always take the lane to cross intersections or watch my mirror like a hawk on streets with lots of entrances to businesses/parking lots etc. Also why I pretty much never ever pass cars too.
Old 08-31-22, 10:35 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I've had a trucker come up beside me from behind at a red light, honk twice as warning, and start turning right. I sprinted out of that scenario. Just a simple bullying move on his part. If I'd been squished, people would be saying all the things I did wrong.

A recent behavior I've seen among bike-hating motorists is passing then turning on their right-turn signal, with no intention of turning right. Another intimidation move, a feigned right hook.
Old 09-01-22, 04:58 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3743 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...different person, different incident, different location. Foggy Bottom is all the way down in town, Bethesda is north, up in the MD 'burbs.
You're right, I stand corrected. The first two videos in the link is concerning the person in the subject of this thread, the last (third) video is a totally separate incident in DC
Old 09-01-22, 09:48 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I've had a trucker come up beside me from behind at a red light, honk twice as warning, and start turning right. I sprinted out of that scenario. Just a simple bullying move on his part. If I'd been squished, people would be saying all the things I did wrong.

A recent behavior I've seen among bike-hating motorists is passing then turning on their right-turn signal, with no intention of turning right. Another intimidation move, a feigned right hook.
In spring of 2018 on a Wednesday morning 10 or 11am, I had a tractor trailor honk at me while I was riding in the diamond lane of a four lane street. All the other lanes to my left were empty. The trucker honked again then changed lanes, passed me and got back into my lane with probably two feet to spare to my front.

When I caught up with him at the traffic light, I told him that this was a diamond lane and bicycles were supposed to be here. He swore back at me. That was the moment I was convinced to get an action camera.
Old 09-01-22, 08:37 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
The most likely scenario is the truck slowed to make a wide turn, then cyclist caught up and entered the **** zone.
My technique to avoid getting hooked was to keep a speed as close to 20 mph as i could, given the circumstances. It is almost impossible for a normal car or truck to make a sharp 90° turn at 20mph. Also, 20 mph is roughly the speed where I look like TRAFFIC and not a stationary object - so motorists are more than happy to FOLLOW me to their turn. I always use a helmet mounted rear-view mirror. And I pay attention to traffic, not clouds, birds, or daydreaming. Awareness is KEY. I see so many "cyclists" rolling along without a care in the world as if they were the only person on Earth.

I have a folding bike with 14" wheels, single speed. I can only get about 13-14 mph pace out of that thing. Every time I ride it someone tries to right-hook me. At 18-20 mph (different bike) I get ZERO hook attempts. The saying "Speed Kills" does not apply to bicycling in traffic.

So if she was a daydreaming slowpoke her odds of getting hooked was nearly 100%.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 09-01-22 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-02-22, 06:25 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
And sometimes, you just meet one of these drivers:
Old 09-02-22, 09:59 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
If the police sees that, the driver's record should be examined and if true investigate why such a dangerous driver is still on the road.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 09-03-22, 04:59 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Daniel4
If the police sees that, the driver's record should be examined and if true investigate why such a dangerous driver is still on the road.
The club member (yes, it was from around here) that took the picture also wrote down the tag number and gave it to the local authorities. Nothing can be done, as no crime has been committed, but a note and copy of the picture was attached to the operators license file. Should they ever be involved in a car-bicycle collision, they are going to have a hard time with the "I didn't see them" excuse.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 09-03-22, 09:19 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
The club member (yes, it was from around here) that took the picture also wrote down the tag number and gave it to the local authorities. Nothing can be done, as no crime has been committed, but a note and copy of the picture was attached to the operators license file. Should they ever be involved in a car-bicycle collision, they are going to have a hard time with the "I didn't see them" excuse.
1. What is an "operators license file"? Does it include anything other than a database of traffic violations/citations, and license applications, renewals and points for violations. Who maintains it other than the state. I'm surprised there is a place for interesting photos of non violations.

2. The "I didn't see them" excuse is always an invalid defense for drivers trying to lessen the blame, liability or assignment of responsibility for collisions that could have been avoided if the excuse makers had been looking where they should have been paying attention. The offensive rear window decal would be irrelevant to the "excuse" unless it was blocking the driver's vision.
Old 09-09-22, 08:33 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
2 wheels never never never should operate as if they had the ROW
Old 09-09-22, 01:05 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

That's pretty awesome! I have a good sense of humor tho.
Old 09-09-22, 02:38 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
That's pretty awesome! I have a good sense of humor tho.
I'm certain you'll be chuckling should you become #8 on the Hit List.
Old 09-09-22, 08:04 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

I'm certain you'll be chuckling should you become #8 on the Hit List.
And I'm certain that sticker is a joke.
Old 09-10-22, 05:55 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
And I'm certain that sticker is a joke.
About as funny as one depicting someone drowning kittens.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 09-11-22, 12:13 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
The truck ran her over. Of course its his fault/responsibility even if she was being negligent. Its like if a pedestrian is doing something moronic its still your if you hit them on your bicycle.
This simply is not true. Not at all. In fact, your incorrect understanding of the law and vehicle code is a problem. It's YOUR thinking that endangers cyclists. I've had many, many pedestrians step into my path ILLEGALLY and almost cause a collision. The California Vehicle Code makes it clear that pedestrians must first obey the law. They can't simply walk against a red light in a busy intersection without fault if they're hit. Hit by a car or a bicycle, it doesn't matter: the pedestrian crossing against the red is at fault.

Additionally, the VC understands that there's common sense involved too. A pedestrian, even while crossing legally in a marked crosswalk, must make his intentions known and clear to oncoming drivers. So in other words, if a pedestrian suddenly darts into a marked crosswalk without warning and you run him over in your car or on your bike, the pedestrian is at fault. It's quite simple.

Perpetuating your misinformation only makes conditions worse for cyclists. One of my college team members was taken out by a pedestrian illegally crossing against a red light. Pedestrian was unharmed, cyclist suffered broken bones. Idiots who don't cross legally are a danger to all cyclists.
Likes For LV2TNDM:
Old 09-11-22, 08:52 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I assume they cannot see me. When I drive I assume they are going to dart in front of me. When I walk I assume they are not going to stop. I call it the difference between having a right and surviving.
Old 11-06-22, 11:31 AM
northernlights

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The typical unprotected bike lanes on America streets are dangerous because they give you a false sense of security.

The people who designed them are likely not cyclists themselves and have no clue how make them safer.
Old 11-08-22, 08:34 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
It comes down to a question of does the cyclist have right of way on a marked bike lane and does the driver of the truck have a responsibility to yield to cycling traffic in that lane. There is no stop sign for cyclists as far as I can tell, so there is no expectation for cyclists to be stopping and yielding to turning traffic. I can I would suspect the answer is going to be yes, the truck driver has a responsibility to yield, which he did not do. Question is will the police cite him for failure to yield, which I suspect they won't do.
we simply don’t have enough information to reach a conclusion.

Assume the truck was well in front of the cyclist; Truck signals its turn, and slows. Cyclist rides into the truck’s blind spot. Despite checking mirrors and signaling truck driver doesn’t see the cyclist, and cyclist obliviously continues forward as truck turns.

Not saying it happened that way, but from the available information it is one plausible scenario.

and if it did happen that way, highly unlikely any jury would convict the driver of a crime, nor a civil jury not assign the majority of fault to the driver.

in other words we don’t know.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 11-08-22, 11:19 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
we simply don’t have enough information to reach a conclusion.

Assume the truck was well in front of the cyclist; Truck signals its turn, and slows. Cyclist rides into the truck’s blind spot. Despite checking mirrors and signaling truck driver doesn’t see the cyclist, and cyclist obliviously continues forward as truck turns.

Not saying it happened that way, but from the available information it is one plausible scenario.

and if it did happen that way, highly unlikely any jury would convict the driver of a crime, nor a civil jury not assign the majority of fault to the driver.

in other words we don’t know.
Completely plausible scenario and is what I think happened as well. I have seen a few news reports of similar bike-truck accidents in NYC over the past 2 years or so, somewhat similar scenario, truck turning, doesn't or cannot see cyclist that is alongside, turns and kills the cyclist. With no evidence as to how these accidents occurred I have pondered if it was just a bad choice for the cyclist to ride alongside a truck that would eventually turn, using signals or not. When you are right alongside a truck, you may not be in position to see a turn signal. Ultimately a bad place to be and I guess the solution is don't ride alongside a truck.
Old 11-11-22, 02:20 AM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Should be rear facing wide angle cameras on side of cab or front edge of trailer if tractor/trailer unit and a 17" screen dead center of console to negate blind spot for driver.

All wage structuring/policies/issues causing time sensitive driving should be legislated out of existence for commercial vehicle operators.
Old 11-11-22, 07:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
About as funny as one depicting someone drowning kittens.
Thanks for reminding me why I have had him on my iggy list for a long time. Somewhat sociopathic is how he portrays himself.
Old 11-11-22, 07:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
The truck ran her over. Of course its his fault/responsibility even if she was being negligent. Its like if a pedestrian is doing something moronic its still your if you hit them on your bicycle.
Someone clearly did not make law review.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-11-22, 11:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Thanks for reminding me why I have had him on my iggy list for a long time. Somewhat sociopathic is how he portrays himself.

So you missed the post where he cracked up laughing at videos of a pickup truck driver rolling coal on a bunch of cyclists?

He really needs to be banned.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-14-22, 08:21 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by tungsten
Should be rear facing wide angle cameras on side of cab or front edge of trailer if tractor/trailer unit and a 17" screen dead center of console to negate blind spot for driver.

All wage structuring/policies/issues causing time sensitive driving should be legislated out of existence for commercial vehicle operators.
you do realize that literally everything you have came on a truck, and increasing the cost of truck transportation increases the cost of those things.

So impose rules on trucks, and it increases the price of the things they deliver, like bikes, and thus means fewer bikes.

net, net, it’s not so simple, everything has costs and benefits. The trade offs are why economics is called the dismal science

Easy to say we should mandate this or that, but when you weigh all the costs and benefits, it becomes way more complicated
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 11-16-22, 03:48 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
When her case comes up in court, the judge should throw the book at the truck driver, as a warning to all.
Yeah? and just what exactly is your idea of throwing the book?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.