Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 07:26 PM
Davespix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GrizzledBastard
Oh...btw....anyone pulled the "reflector ad sticker on the top tube?

It's a solid sticker but it looks stupid. I haven't ponied up the courage to start it but figured I'd add a bit of heat to it with a special tiny iron and a protective sock on it to loosen up the adhesive.

Last thing. If you take your front brake lever off and rotate it 360 it torques the hose out away from the head tube. That should have been done during assembly but the 15 year old kids don't care. It will destroy the finish and burn through any tape you put on the headtube in short order. I've seen it many times.
I need to try that, my front tube is suffering lots of rubbing.
Old 10-25-20, 07:54 PM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

Bikes: '17 Custom Stumpjumper Expert 6FiddyFatty / 2021 Sirrus X 5.0

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Davespix
I need to try that, my front tube is suffering lots of rubbing.
A bit of heat from the iron and the sticker came off easy. One could do it with a hair dryer. Not too hot, you'll jack the carbon!

Here's a picture of that and also how my brake hose is now situated.

Brake line twisted to prevent head tube finish damage.

A little Isopropyl Alcohol cleaned the residual and then I hit it with New Finish polish and she's BEAUTIFUL!

Edit: I think I'll try pulling the brake lever and running it inside if the other cables to captivate it. As it is, from this angle it looks like it sticks out but in reality, it's oriented just fine and doesn't look out of place. Most importantly, none of the cables are near any carbon finish.

Last edited by GrizzledBastard; 10-25-20 at 07:58 PM.
Likes For GrizzledBastard:
Old 10-25-20, 09:12 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
A bit of heat from the iron and the sticker came off easy. One could do it with a hair dryer. Not too hot, you'll jack the carbon!

Here's a picture of that and also how my brake hose is now situated.

Brake line twisted to prevent head tube finish damage.

A little Isopropyl Alcohol cleaned the residual and then I hit it with New Finish polish and she's BEAUTIFUL!

Edit: I think I'll try pulling the brake lever and running it inside if the other cables to captivate it. As it is, from this angle it looks like it sticks out but in reality, it's oriented just fine and doesn't look out of place. Most importantly, none of the cables are near any carbon finish.
Lovely bike, but then I would say that! Mine is the '19 Sirrus X Comp (now the X5). LBS took that awful t/t sticker off before I took delivery, thank goodness. Anyway, love the colour of yours, and like that '20 Sage Green as well.

On the (our) bikes: yes, the crankset is a piece of non-branded junk -- boat anchor. Wheels are heavy, and the brakes are 'just ok'.

I've suffered through two seasons now, and this winter will be my re-make off-season. Depending on parts availability, current plan is: XT brakes (xc), and 1x12 drivetrain, with Praxis or Shimano GRX crank (38 or 40 ring for me; I'm old and weak). Wheelset: aluminum, around 15/1600 grams -- Roval, Hunt, or similar.

I love the frame/geometry/fit, and the FS works extremely well. I was fortunate: the FS 1.0 on mine was defective from the get-go; my LBS scored a current FS 2.0 (the fully-adjustable hydraulically-damped one) as a warranty replacement. So the heart of the bike is, for me, a keeper.

Old 10-25-20, 10:04 PM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

LOL! I wish you hadn't mentioned FS 2.0! I'll be adding that to the list. I'll spare no expense to dial this baby in and make it mine. I'm down to just 2 bikes now...from 5. All custom builds but the Roubaix had to go recently due to my back and neck fusion and not being able to go there with drop bars any longer...not comfortably, anyway. I sold my 2 custom build Surly Karate Monkey's before my big surgery last November as I knew my hard core dirt riding wouldn't be wise on single-speed or a rigid plus bike for quite a while. Now it's just my custom build Stumpjumper Expert 6FiddyFatty and the Sirrus so the Sirrus needs the cool bling to get it up to snuff!

I'm just torn on what direction to go on that crankset and I agree on the BR8000 series XT's...best brakes around! I'm peeved because we were buying all the Shimano stuff out of Germany when I was building mine and lots of bikes for friends. You could get a set of XT's with good JO3 finned pads for around $150 USD! That's done with Shimano's newer agreement...which is understandable. I sure got my money's worth after probably buying 15+ sets plus all the XTR drivetrains.

Last edited by GrizzledBastard; 10-25-20 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-25-20, 11:32 PM
moehoward

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone remove or change-out their Sirrus grips and bar ends and willing to sell it to me? I just got a 2016 Sirrus Carbon Expert and the original owner got rid of these. The OCD in me wants to get this bike back to its original configuration. Thank you.

Last edited by moehoward; 10-26-20 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-26-20, 07:37 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Way2Slow

Added a few things: Quad Lock, NiteRider Micro 900, Stix Elite with Saddle Mount and RaceFace Chesters.
Looking good!

I just added the saddle Stix mount to our three Specialized saddles. Really integrates the light a lot better. And, good choice on the Chesters. We have RaceFace pedals on both of our Sirruses. Phone/light mount looks slick.

How did you find a matching helmet?
Old 10-26-20, 07:40 AM
badger1

LOL! I wish you hadn't mentioned FS 2.0! I'll be adding that to the list. I'll spare no expense to dial this baby in and make it mine. I'm down to just 2 bikes now...from 5. All custom builds but the Roubaix had to go recently due to my back and neck fusion and not being able to go there with drop bars any longer...not comfortably, anyway. I sold my 2 custom build Surly Karate Monkey's before my big surgery last November as I knew my hard core dirt riding wouldn't be wise on single-speed or a rigid plus bike for quite a while. Now it's just my custom build Stumpjumper Expert 6FiddyFatty and the Sirrus so the Sirrus needs the cool bling to get it up to snuff!

I'm just torn on what direction to go on that crankset and I agree on the BR8000 series XT's...best brakes around! I'm peeved because we were buying all the Shimano stuff out of Germany when I was building mine and lots of bikes for friends. You could get a set of XT's with good JO3 finned pads for around $150 USD! That's done with Shimano's newer agreement...which is understandable. I sure got my money's worth after probably buying 15+ sets plus all the XTR drivetrains.
Sorry about that! Really, I was just lucky, and I have a very good/longstanding relationship with my LBS/Spec. dealer. At any rate, if you can get one it's expensive but well worth it. The 2.0 version really does work extremely well.

I'm a 'custom' guy too, in the sense that when I find a stock bike with a frameset that is a 'keeper' for me, I tend to upgrade everything. Did that with my first Sirrus -- a 2010 Comp (the E5/carbon stays/fork one) -- which was sadly stolen a few weeks ago (another story). I'll now do the same with this one to an even higher level. I'm 69; this bike will last me a good number of years, so why not? I'm just hoping that parts shortages/supply chain issues won't delay things too much.
Old 10-26-20, 08:20 AM
Way2Slow

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Looking good!

I just added the saddle Stix mount to our three Specialized saddles. Really integrates the light a lot better. And, good choice on the Chesters. We have RaceFace pedals on both of our Sirruses. Phone/light mount looks slick.

How did you find a matching helmet?
By luck really, happen to be browsing a website looking for helmets and came across the sage green color - off course they didn't have it in stock. Went to LBS to confirm my size and fit then really just kept searching till I found one. Vendor in Sparks, Nevada had it on sale with no tax. I know its a MTB helmet but I like the fact it has more coverage, comes with ANGI and includes a visor - really helpful when knuckleheads have their lights angled too high.
Old 10-26-20, 08:54 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
By luck really, happen to be browsing a website looking for helmets and came across the sage green color - off course they didn't have it in stock. Went to LBS to confirm my size and fit then really just kept searching till I found one. Vendor in Sparks, Nevada had it on sale with no tax. I know its a MTB helmet but I like the fact it has more coverage, comes with ANGI and includes a visor - really helpful when knuckleheads have their lights angled too high.
I never want to be too "matchy," but bought a navy blue helmet this weekend that almost perfectly matches my navy bike. Same brand, too. I'm beginning to worry about myself.

I'm drawing the line at shaving my legs.

/s/ Sucked In
Old 10-26-20, 10:49 PM
900ss

Bikes: 1987 Team Allez (Tesch), 2020 Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO, 2023 Turbo Levo S-Works, 2021 Turbo Levo SL Carbon Expert

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Can anyone quote the Praxis carbon fibre crankset part number for the 2020 X 5.0 please?

I love this bike (sage green, large, bought it May) and want to take some weight off it. My wife didn't want to keep hers (medium)so it went to a good home local to me.
Old 10-27-20, 07:56 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by 900ss
Can anyone quote the Praxis carbon fibre crankset part number for the 2020 X 5.0 please?

I love this bike (sage green, large, bought it May) and want to take some weight off it. My wife didn't want to keep hers (medium)so it went to a good home local to me.
You'll find the crankset here: https://praxiscycles.com/product/zayante-carbon/

If you are in the U.S., just purchase direct from Praxis, choosing the crank length and ring-size you want from the drop-down list. You'd need their dedicated M30 b/b as well, "Road: BSA Threaded".
Likes For badger1:
Old 10-27-20, 11:16 AM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
You guys changing out cranks, please publish the details of what you got, where, and how install went. I want to get rid of the stock crank on my 19 comp carbon X next spring.

- Mark
Old 10-27-20, 11:46 AM
moehoward

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$50 Cheaper

Originally Posted by 900ss

or you can go here to save 50 smackers:

glorycycles.com/praxis-zayante-carbon-s-crankset/
Old 10-27-20, 12:06 PM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by markjenn
You guys changing out cranks, please publish the details of what you got, where, and how install went. I want to get rid of the stock crank on my 19 comp carbon X next spring.

- Mark

I just ordered the Praxis Zayante Carbon 175 40T, the M30 BSA bottom bracket, and your going to need their BB tools for $20. Shimano BB9 or GXP tools won't fit it. I'm 3 hours south of Praxis which is in Santa Cruz, CA and they'll ship today so pending no delays, I'll have this on by Friday if not Thursday.

I got the 40T since it was a step down from the 42 that's on it. Theoretically, the 42 should fit the Praxis as its a 3 bolt Direct Mount...unless it's some proprietary crap...we'll see.
Old 10-27-20, 12:10 PM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by moehoward
or you can go here to save 50 smackers:

glorycycles.com/praxis-zayante-carbon-s-crankset/

That's not quite the same as the Zayante Carbon. It's the cheaper version and you can buy that the same on Praxis' web site. They have NO single ring in that model but it is a DM so you could crap-can the rings/spider and go with your OEM chainring. You won't find many decent chainrings for $50 so, IMO, it's worth buying the standard $300 Zayante and ending up with some variety to try if you need to make a change.

Also, if you buy direct from Praxis, you have 30 days to say "Beat It!" and send it back.
Likes For GrizzledBastard:
Old 10-27-20, 02:00 PM
GeoffNA

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0 (2021)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
What do you all think about an SLX crankset and BB to match the derailleur and brake levers?
Old 10-27-20, 02:06 PM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

SLX is good stuff. That and the MT800 bottom bracket would be a solid setup. They're inexpensive and solid.

My personal preference is to go with Direct Mount chainrings with a zillion options for aftermarket but if you're going to stick with one setup, the Shimano is a great choice..

EDIT: If you go SLX, you'll need to do some homework on chainring size options. SLX is a MTB line...which is not a big problem but I'm guessing you've noticed the chainring sizing is very restricted to smaller sizes like 32, 34, 36T. You'll just need to source a ring that will accommodate the BCD of the spider. Because I didn't want to open that Pandora's Box on top of all the other upgrades I'm doing, I avoided the XT and XTR line that I might have considered.

Last edited by GrizzledBastard; 10-27-20 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 10-27-20, 02:53 PM
moehoward

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's not quite the same as the Zayante Carbon. It's the cheaper version and you can buy that the same on Praxis' web site. They have NO single ring in that model but it is a DM so you could crap-can the rings/spider and go with your OEM chainring. You won't find many decent chainrings for $50 so, IMO, it's worth buying the standard $300 Zayante and ending up with some variety to try if you need to make a change.

Also, if you buy direct from Praxis, you have 30 days to say "Beat It!" and send it back.
this is exactly why I joined this site. Thank you for the insight. Did realize they had a 30 day try and return policy.
Old 10-27-20, 02:58 PM
Way2Slow

I just ordered the Praxis Zayante Carbon 175 40T, the M30 BSA bottom bracket, and your going to need their BB tools for $20. Shimano BB9 or GXP tools won't fit it. I'm 3 hours south of Praxis which is in Santa Cruz, CA and they'll ship today so pending no delays, I'll have this on by Friday if not Thursday.

I got the 40T since it was a step down from the 42 that's on it. Theoretically, the 42 should fit the Praxis as its a 3 bolt Direct Mount...unless it's some proprietary crap...we'll see.
I was just in Santa Cruz this past weekend! Can wait to see the upgrade, man I better stay off the forum or I'm gonna buy more stuff
Old 10-27-20, 03:11 PM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by moehoward
this is exactly why I joined this site. Thank you for the insight. Did realize they had a 30 day try and return policy.
Not knockin' that "S" model because it should work for anyone that is rocking the Sirrus 6.0 or any other version that's running 2x. It's a great deal for getting 2 chainrings.

I was just in Santa Cruz this past weekend! Can wait to see the upgrade, man I better stay off the forum or I'm gonna buy more stuff
Tell me you rode Demo Forrest trails?!
Old 10-27-20, 03:20 PM
Way2Slow

Tell me you rode Demo Forrest trails?!
Took the family to the Boardwalk. Never been to DF trails but that looks fun!
Old 10-27-20, 03:34 PM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

Took the family to the Boardwalk. Never been to DF trails but that looks fun!
If you're a mountain biker, it's pretty much Mecca for "local" California rides. The Flow trail is quite the hoot. We usually go up early in the morning, it's about 3 hours from SLO, and do 2 laps through Demo and that yields just under 4000' feet of vertical and just under 20 miles distance. Then, hit the sausage shop for sammiches in Corralitos on the way home!
Old 10-27-20, 06:04 PM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

Adding another pic of furthering upgrades. I installed the Santa Cruz carbon flat-bars last night and put a 15 miler on them today. Yyyuuuge difference in damping and comfort with Future Shock! Still ultra compliant.

These are cut to 700mm which is 20mm longer than the stock 680's. 8° backsweep and 7° upsweep so they aren't very far off of stock configuration. I'm sporting the Ergon GP3 grips now. Road riding and long XC hauls have always been an issue for numbness in my hands. Not so much on an MTB because hand position is so dynamic on the trail. These things are epic! Very comfortable. They make them in all rubber, too if the cork-look doesn't fit your fashion statement. These are "smalls" which applies only to the diameter. I have average hands which sizing suggests large but I have always preferred a smaller diameter grip.

For grins and giggles, a pic of the "new" blue tint in the sun....which we're finally seeing here on the coast as opposed to fog.

Santa Cruz carbon flat-bars / Ergon GP3 grips.

2021 Sirrus X 5.0 Blue Tint/Ice Blue/Satin Black

Last edited by GrizzledBastard; 10-27-20 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-27-20, 07:37 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoffNA
What do you all think about an SLX crankset and BB to match the derailleur and brake levers?
SLX cranks are great, but they are not carbon, nor hollow. Shimano make great aluminum cranks but don't make any carbon ones. XT SLX and above have hollow arms which are engineering marvels but crabon is lighter. When it comes to aluminium cranks, only Campagnolo can produce better aluminium than Shimano.

A bigger issue is chainline, as the SLX is MTB. A Shimano GRX crank would have a road chainline (which I would assume that the Sirrus has) and 40t chainrings.

Carbon cranks are fantastic for shedding that last bit of weight; but bang for buck, lighter wheels are a better waste use of money IMO.

Since Im editing this, I'll add that the engineering of Shimano bottom brackets has several advantages over other brands. Also, crabon cranks require the large torque wrenches (50ft-lb) for installation; something to consider for the DIY crowd. I have an SLX, a GRX, and a crabon crank (Easton) and I love em all; horses for courses.

Last edited by DorkDisk; 10-28-20 at 08:32 AM. Reason: tpyo :-) SLX has hollow arms.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 10-27-20, 07:45 PM
GrizzledBastard
Pedaling Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
....lighter wheels are a better waste use of money IMO.
I was JUST spec'ing out a build for a set of 700c on the Light-Bicycle build page.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.