Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

General Deterioration of These Forums

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

General Deterioration of These Forums

Old 11-17-21, 07:28 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
I've also been on some forums where there is a group that all races each other to scream "Do a Search!!" every time a new member asks a question. The problem is, very seldom do the actual questions get answered. Anyone who does a Search just finds a bunch of dead-end threads which all end with some other member screaming "Do a Search!!"
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 11-17-21, 09:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
…, I simply do not respond rather than crap on the newbie. Why? I know there are kind souls who will help out and respond and why sour a new member with the typical BF response.
Thank you. I have never understood the need to tell a newbie to “do a search” or calling them a troll or to crap on them in general. If someone isn’t going to provide information, why answer at all?

As a long term volunteer at my local co-op there are very few problems that come through the door that are novel. I have explained every aspect of bicycle mechanics thousands of times and, often, have had to explained how to fix the same problem multiple times per day. The person coming into the shop…and the person behind them…often don’t know anything about bicycles and I do. Sharing my knowledge is the reason I volunteer there. There are times when something novel comes through the door and that makes all the repetition worthwhile.

I’ve done the same thing at my work where the people are more learned but they don’t know how to do the procedure that I developed. I’m there to teach them as much as I know about what I am doing so that they can do the procedure or use the instrument like I do. Along the way, I may learn something as well.

I take the same attitude here. Anyone who asks a question about bicycles deserves as courteous and knowledgeable an answer as I can give…even if it’s the same question as you’ll find three threads down.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-17-21, 10:35 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I've also been on some forums where there is a group that all races each other to scream "Do a Search!!" every time a new member asks a question. The problem is, very seldom do the actual questions get answered. Anyone who does a Search just finds a bunch of dead-end threads which all end with some other member screaming "Do a Search!!"
The biggest problem with BF searches is that with the amount of meandering that goes on in threads an even remotely sane new member will literally run from bicycling and try a unicycle….

​​​​​​….no gears, no lube, no brifters, etc.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 11-17-21, 11:39 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Doesn't apply. Points for effort though.
I fully acknowledge I was overly persistent. Billy banning me from a forum I think is redundant and has shown to be of little interest due to its redundancy is within his power so cool I guess.

But your gotcha doesn't apply since a huge % of other posters at the time said similar things as me.
Just so you know, anyone getting banned here or from a sub forum that they are complaining about for existing, wasn't on him. I have the final call if need be which is rare because they work together so well to maintain a healthy balance here.

The moderation team discusses each and every single reported post that comes in. How to handle a situation is always a group decision.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-17-21, 11:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
For a troll-ish thread that began with a flawed premise, this has developed some entertaining legs. Kudos to the mods for letting it run! Nine pages though and still no examples of newbies being abused w/o provocation....
The thread now has strong competition form the "Are they fooling us?" thread.

Last edited by indyfabz; 11-17-21 at 01:06 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-17-21, 11:56 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The thread now has strong competition form the "Are they fooling us? thread.
It would seem Bob Dylan was prescient. The first sentence of that post seems to be the inspiration for the quote in your sig.
Old 11-17-21, 04:17 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I don’t think it is bad form to tell someone to do a search IF you give them some search terms to use. The problem for many newbs is that they don’t know what to search for.
Old 11-17-21, 04:32 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22514 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I don’t think it is bad form to tell someone to do a search IF you give them some search terms to use. The problem for many newbs is that they don’t know what to search for.
Another nuance here is the general search function on the main page is a piece of crap that does not work. You have to do an “advanced search,” and a newbie is not going to know that.
Old 11-17-21, 04:36 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
So don't answer. It's not like you're employed here.
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
On other forums where I have participated for years and have answered say, "what's the best corkscrew for tiny hands" a million times, I simply do not respond rather than crap on the newbie. Why? I know there are kind souls who will help out and respond and why sour a new member with the typical BF response
Generally, I don't just chime in to make some random noob feel bad. I might be generally snarky and cynical, but I don't need to be mean to people, unless they deserve it. I also don't have the bandwidth to be the nurturing elder to every freshly-hatched cyclist. In my neighborhood, sure; but on the internet, there are others far better suited than I.

I don't consider myself any gatekeeper of "The Way" (quite the opposite, in fact) however, I will call out willful ignorance when I see it; and I do take a little pleasure in skewering curmudgeonry, only because you Boomers are such snowflakes about it
Old 11-17-21, 04:36 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Another nuance here is the general search function on the main page is a piece of crap that does not work. You have to do an “advanced search,” and a newbie is not going to know that.
And to be honest, the same can be said for almost all forums' search feature. It is almost always easier for everyone involved to just answer the newbie's question and be done with it. Even if it is for the millionth time.
Old 11-17-21, 04:47 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Oh, I was referring to a Google search. I would not subject anyone to the one on this website.
Old 11-17-21, 05:11 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
  • I don't just chime in to make some random noob feel bad.
  • I might be generally snarky and cynical
  • I don't need to be mean to people, unless they deserve it.
  • I don't have the bandwidth to be the nurturing elder
  • I will call out willful ignorance when I see it
  • I do take a little pleasure in skewering curmudgeonry

Is that on your LinkedIn profile?

Last edited by Rolla; 11-17-21 at 05:16 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-17-21, 06:03 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Hand me that skewer .... ugh, no, not after you stuck it in that far .......
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-17-21, 09:46 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Is that on your LinkedIn profile?
You say that like that’s a problem?
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 11-17-21, 11:04 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26251 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Generally, I don't just chime in to make some random noob feel bad. I might be generally snarky and cynical, but I don't need to be mean to people, unless they deserve it. ...

... however, I will call out willful ignorance when I see it; and I do take a little pleasure in skewering curmudgeonry, only because you Boomers are such snowflakes about it
...as a Boomer, I find it somewhat titillating to be snarkily and cynically skewered. I know it sounds perverse, but keep me in mind. It's a turn on when I am made to feel cheap, and I blame parochial schooling for much of this. Other likes: long walks on the beach, dogs, steaming hot cocoa near the open hearth after a long day of skiing, and repainting steel frames (but only because the paint fumes get me high.)

Turn offs: TT funny bikes, beef without horseradish sauce, bagpipes, and hamsters.
Old 11-17-21, 11:41 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Okay this thread has run its course. It's nothing but chit chat now and nothing to do with cycling or the topic.

Thank you for playing.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind: