Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What did I miss while on 'vacation'?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What did I miss while on 'vacation'?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-22, 08:33 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I generally agree with this--attacking a newbie for asking too basic a question is just not useful to anyone. I would much rather risk being trolled into giving a sincere response to an insincere question than risk insulting a sincere kid or someone else not able to work google for whatever reason. Also, it seems that oftentimes there's a subtle issue that makes the newby op atypical in some relevant way such that the standard answers you'd find with a google search just won't be adequate, and experience of other cyclists on the forum might be helpful.

However, there's also a type of newby that shouldn't be treated with kid gloves (staying withon forum rules, of course). It's the ones who post something that looks like a question, but are really " you're a sucker" insults. I'm paraphrasing here, but this is typical of the genre:

"Why do people spend so much on lightweight high-performance bikes when it's obvious that they'll get a better workout on a heavier cheaper bike?"

Some variation of that gets posted a couple times a year, generally by a newby, who isn't really looking for information, but has Dunning-Krugered himself into believing that he's here to enlighten us fools. Note that the form of the question assumes people are ignoring the dubious "obvious" fact, and isn't asking whether that "fact" is actually true. That newby came to play, and they're fair game for an argument in my book.
I believe there are ways of playing the game with obvious trolls without getting insulting or abusive. Keep in mind that ANYTHING you respond with is food for them - even insults. So the biggest letdown for them is to not respond at all. Granted that won't be as fun, but fun at others expense isn't nice.

If a seasoned member here is really afraid of being "duped" by giving a legitimate response to a troll question, then they're pretty thin skinned to begin with.
Old 11-12-22, 09:36 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,770 Posts
I generally agree with this--attacking a newbie for asking too basic a question is just not useful to anyone. I would much rather risk being trolled into giving a sincere response to an insincere question than risk insulting a sincere kid or someone else not able to work google for whatever reason. Also, it seems that oftentimes there's a subtle issue that makes the newby op atypical in some relevant way such that the standard answers you'd find with a google search just won't be adequate, and experience of other cyclists on the forum might be helpful.

However, there's also a type of newby that shouldn't be treated with kid gloves (staying withon forum rules, of course). It's the ones who post something that looks like a question, but are really " you're a sucker" insults. I'm paraphrasing here, but this is typical of the genre:

"Why do people spend so much on lightweight high-performance bikes when it's obvious that they'll get a better workout on a heavier cheaper bike?"

Some variation of that gets posted a couple times a year, generally by a newby, who isn't really looking for information, but has Dunning-Krugered himself into believing that he's here to enlighten us fools. Note that the form of the question assumes people are ignoring the dubious "obvious" fact, and isn't asking whether that "fact" is actually true. That newby came to play, and they're fair game for an argument in my book.
It must be very comforting for you to be able to know the motives of a complete stranger through a message board posting. You’re clearly very talented.

The word “troll” is thrown around on this forum with wild abandon, often by folks who don’t seem to have any understanding of the meaning of the word. This is unlike any other forum I am a part of, including ones with way more testosterone. In no other forum is a newbie’s stupid question post automatically labeled as a troll more often than here. I’ve never seen the “ignore list” threat used more often than here. The insecurity displayed by many is truly astounding, and plays right into the general public’s perception of cyclists (see “Pearls before Swine”).
Likes For smd4:
Old 11-12-22, 09:43 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
It must be very comforting for you to be able to know the motives of a complete stranger through a message board posting. You’re clearly very talented.

The word “troll” is thrown around on this forum with wild abandon, often by folks who don’t seem to have any understanding of the meaning of the word. This is unlike any other forum I am a part of, including ones with way more testosterone. In no other forum is a newbie’s stupid question post automatically labeled as a troll more often than here. I’ve never seen the “ignore list” threat used more often than here. The insecurity displayed by many is truly astounding, and plays right into the general public’s perception of cyclists (see “Pearls before Swine”).
For what it's worth, I am good at detecting which posters will be one post wonders. I can often tell as I peruse the list of thread titles. Drop in, ask an inane question and never come back. Never join in on the discussion they start, never thank people for their responses, nothing but silence. I see it here FAR more often than I do on any of the many forums I frequent. I don't know if they are trolls or not, but it is odd.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 11-12-22, 10:23 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Apparently I'm still banned from that section. I got the vacation for being a dick nearly all the time. I'm 'toxic'.
The first step is admitting you are a Dick..publicly... and you have done that. You are working toward your next step...I'm proud of you!
Likes For trailangel:
Old 11-12-22, 10:38 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

This attitude isn't just here, but seems to be on bike forums in general. I belong to forums for other subjects and none of the posters get anywhere near as nasty as on bike forums in general. I will say this forun seems a little more civilized than roadbikereview.com and as a result it's all but dead over there, but this place appears to be thriving. A newbie posts a question, the "pack of wild dogs" gang up on them for a perceived stupid question, the newbie gets upset and leaves never to be seen again.

I'm actually glad to see there is some moderation here. That seems almost non-existent on RBR.
Old 11-12-22, 10:43 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Apparently I'm still banned from that section. I got the vacation for being a dick nearly all the time. I'm 'toxic'.
Water is also toxic if you drink too much of it. I think it should be banned.
Old 11-12-22, 10:48 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,770 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
A newbie posts a question, the "pack of wild dogs" gang up on them for a perceived stupid question, the newbie gets upset and leaves never to be seen again.
Exactly the problem the mods are trying to rectify.
Old 11-12-22, 11:02 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You mean dihydrogen monoxide? It's lethal!
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-12-22, 11:15 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
If a seasoned member here is really afraid of being "duped" by giving a legitimate response to a troll question, then they're pretty thin skinned to begin with.
Many times, I answer the question honestly anyway just in case some innocent person googles the question and gets the snarky, sarcastic answers and thinks they're real. Kind of depends on how likely I think the answers are to be taken for real advice.

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
So cxwrench is good for you, but not too much.
Old 11-12-22, 03:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Did you actually read my hypothetical example? I don't need anything other than the ability to read to know the motive behind such a post because the accusation against others is plain to see in that post. It's plain trolling on its face. The type of posting I'm talking about isn't just a "stupid question", it's a stupid assertion/accusation. I suggested quite the opposite about assuming the motives of people asking basic questions, I just assume good faith with those and will either answer or not. I agree that people on this forum seem to jump to the trolling conclusion way too easily, but that doesn't mean we should assume good faith when anybody, newbies included, posts a classic " are you still beating your wife " type question.

I think it's ironic that your put-down of me pretty much ignored what I actually posted, jumping right into a completely wrong read of my supposed motivations. You just completely skipped over the first part of my post that largely agreed with the "treat naive newbies decently" message Billy d was suggesting.
​​​​​​

I find your pearl clutching about "Pearls Before Swine" ironic as well. I'm not buying into this "public's perception of cyclists" bs for one second.

Last edited by livedarklions; 11-12-22 at 04:04 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-12-22, 03:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Exactly the problem the mods are trying to rectify.

But it's a lot more complicated than that. I've seen forums die simply because the lack of moderation allowed newbies to flood the forum with all sorts of hijacking and trolling, often political, sexist, racist, spammy, promoting crackpot theories, or just plain mean behavior. I think the mods here do a good job of balancing these concerns, trying to
​​​​​get people to stop jumping on naive newbies, but giving short shrift to newbies with an "incompatible agenda".
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-12-22, 04:28 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

But it's a lot more complicated than that. I've seen forums die simply because the lack of moderation allowed newbies to flood the forum with all sorts of hijacking and trolling, often political, sexist, racist, spammy, promoting crackpot theories, or just plain mean behavior. I think the mods here do a good job of balancing these concerns, trying to
​​​​​get people to stop jumping on naive newbies, but giving short shrift to newbies with an "incompatible agenda".
I would agree with this.
Old 11-12-22, 06:00 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
More like what did we miss while you were on vacation. Almost 2000 views already, close to 100 replies. Jump right back in.
Old 11-13-22, 03:29 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Hi guys,

So this message apples to everybody.

Be especially nice to our newbies. I’m afraid we must insist.
Agreed. So BillyD, is cx perma-banned from the Bicycle Mechanics subforum? If so, I think that strategy should be re-considered. That's where his expertise shines and where he contributes the most.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 11-13-22, 05:22 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
Agreed. So BillyD, is cx perma-banned from the Bicycle Mechanics subforum? If so, I think that strategy should be re-considered. That's where his expertise shines and where he contributes the most.
Hmmm. If so, we will have to ask mechanical questions here in General.........as blasphemous as that may be.
Old 11-15-22, 06:31 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Hmmm. If so, we will have to ask mechanical questions here in General.........as blasphemous as that may be.
There's a guy that just today started a thread in Bicycle Mechanics about why bike shop inventory is so high. OP had over 27k posts, so I let him have it with a wink to cx.

why is my LBS loaded up w/ bikes? - Bike Forums
Old 11-16-22, 12:49 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
You mean dihydrogen monoxide? It's lethal!
Have you seen what it does to metal pipes? If it can do that, think of what it's doing to your stomach...
Likes For Milton Keynes: