Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Bridgestone XO Thread

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Bridgestone XO Thread

Old 02-25-23, 11:41 AM
eephotog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I'm amazed at how well your cable housing held up! It had all dry rotted on mine, aside from where it was under the card-stock chainstay protector.
Old 02-25-23, 12:18 PM
gravityhurts

Bikes: GT Pulse Track, 93 Bridgestone XO-1 & 93 RB-1, Ritchey Swiss Cross, Ritchey Road Logic, Yoshi Konno/3Rensho Specialized Allez, Cannondale Slate, Cannondale SuperSix EVO/Disc and Cannondale Hooligan

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 49 Posts

My NOS 1993 Bridgestone XO-1

Sold my other XO-1 frameset, but kept all the "retro-mod" parts for when I muster-up enough courage to ride the NOS
Likes For gravityhurts:
Old 04-11-23, 10:29 AM
eephotog

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Got the 48cm fixed up, surprisingly it fits me (at 5'9").
Given the flat terrain out here, swapped on a 53/39 shimano 600 crankset.

Also happened to track down a 42cm '92 XO-1 frame, so now I officially have too many projects.

XO-2 fixed up

Comparing 42cm XO-1 with 48cm XO-2
Likes For eephotog:
Old 05-02-23, 11:36 AM
Dewey Cox

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Sacrilegious to the purists I guess, but my old XO-2's green pain was dying.

Likes For Dewey Cox:
Old 06-05-23, 12:22 PM
dlomsdalen

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My love for the XO’s started some years back when I found my wife an XO 3 Mixte in her exact smaller size. Weeks later I found an XO 3 for my son. Even though his was too small I took every opportunity to ride it and fell in love. For some reason I love the arced bars and the nimbleness! Few years later I found myself a very clean larger black XO 5 with the arced bars. Commuted on that for a while and loved it. A few months back I found an extremely loved and used XO 1 (55). This bike cost $50 and it was full of ancient E-bike equipment and extra well drilled holes but I knew it was still worth it since it had most of the original parts and the pearl paint still shimmered in spots and original forks. My friend and I stripped it down and rebuilt all the areas. Still need help with chainring numbers??? While waiting on that…. I find in a free pile on a curb a 59cm purple XO 1 frame without the orig. fork but super clean paint. The reason it was free was due to someone sawing off the rear brake bridge (more clearance??) I have some contacts at local builder Co-Motion and they were eager to repair the bridge.

So now, all the bits and parts will be coming off the white bike onto the purple frame once it’s finished. Super excited to finally try one out!

Last edited by dlomsdalen; 06-09-23 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-05-23, 10:04 PM
tmizzzle

Location: Seattle, DC, Chicago, Denver. Wherever you want me to be

Bikes: Bridgestone MB3, MB4, other beaters

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Everyone, I have an MB3 and a 4. I have always loved the looks of these XOs and have heard that the larger wheels make a difference. I think unfortunatey I'm priced out of the XO market. Can anyone suggest a similar hybrid type of bike? Were any of those older Treks or Raleighs in the same category for frame geometry and general multi track or urban riding? I love my MB but think I'm getting older and would prefer a bit more of an upright and relaxed and comfortable riding position. Thanks!
Old 07-05-23, 10:32 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by tmizzzle
Hi Everyone, I have an MB3 and a 4. I have always loved the looks of these XOs and have heard that the larger wheels make a difference. I think unfortunatey I'm priced out of the XO market. Can anyone suggest a similar hybrid type of bike? Were any of those older Treks or Raleighs in the same category for frame geometry and general multi track or urban riding? I love my MB but think I'm getting older and would prefer a bit more of an upright and relaxed and comfortable riding position. Thanks!
Look for a '90s Trek MultiTrack. They're pretty good bikes and reasonably priced. Well, usually; my CL has a gorgeous 790 but the dude wants $675.
Old 07-06-23, 07:12 AM
tmizzzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! To clarify though, it looks like Trek made those 700 series in the 90s. And then there were the 7000 series which seem to be aluminum. It's all so overwhelming.
Any suggestions on years and specific models?

Thanks again.
Old 07-06-23, 07:13 AM
tmizzzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Look for a '90s Trek MultiTrack. They're pretty good bikes and reasonably priced. Well, usually; my CL has a gorgeous 790 but the dude wants $675.

Thanks! To clarify though, it looks like Trek made those 700 series in the 90s. And then there were the 7000 series which seem to be aluminum. It's all so overwhelming.

Thanks again.
Old 07-06-23, 01:18 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by tmizzzle

Thanks again.
Your best bet is to tell us what city you live in and what size you're looking for; we do so love finding bikes for people.
Old 07-06-23, 05:20 PM
tmizzzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Korina -- Thank you so much for this offer! To answer your question: I call both the Seattle area and Washington DC area home, and frequently visit family in Chicago. Plus I travel a ton (pass through Denver quite a bit), so I'm quite nomadic and not afraid to pick up a bike while traveling.

With that said, I'd say Seattle and DC are the most "stable" options for me where I spend the most time.

I'm 6' tall so it seems like the sweet spot is a 52 cm frame / 20.5" inches. Love the XO style bike and looking for good value -- doesn't have to be in "perfect" condition cosmetically. Just functional!

Thanks again and please do let me know if you come across anything and in the meantime I'll continue to epxlore this thread, CL and FB Marketplace.

Thanks and have a great weekend.
Old 07-06-23, 06:29 PM
tmizzzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your best bet is to tell us what city you live in and what size you're looking for; we do so love finding bikes for people.

Hi Korina -- Thank you so much for this offer! To answer your question: I call both the Seattle area and Washington DC area home, and frequently visit family in Chicago. Plus I travel a ton (pass through Denver quite a bit), so I'm quite nomadic and not afraid to pick up a bike while traveling.

With that said, I'd say Seattle and DC are the most "stable" options for me where I spend the most time.

I'm 6' tall so it seems like the sweet spot is a 52 cm frame / 20.5" inches. Love the XO style bike and looking for good value -- doesn't have to be in "perfect" condition cosmetically. Just functional!

Thanks again and please do let me know if you come across anything and in the meantime I'll continue to epxlore this thread, CL and FB Marketplace.

Thanks and have a great weekend.
Old 07-07-23, 01:17 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

@tmizzle I found a few. BTW, unless you have very short legs, you probably want 54cm to 56cm. And don't forget the bikes you have; there's a thread somewhere around here for vintage mtb upright/urban builds.

Univega Sportour
This seller has a lot of bikes; maybe one for you?
Peugeot mixte, maybe your size.
Diamond Back Topanga, as well as a lot of other bikes.
Jamis Quest
A twofer! The Trek Multitrack and the Schwinn Criss Cross are both good.
Another Multitrack.
Here's one you can take with you; a Dahon folding bike.
Old 10-28-23, 09:45 AM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 161 Posts

Found the xoxo thread last night so searched for other xo threads this am…pic from a couple years ago … my wife and I have owned these first year tusk xo-1s since new. We used as our daily commuters for years, now used for the occasional gravel ride or jaunt to the pub.
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 10-28-23, 11:54 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
So these bikes are fairly lightweight, road bike geometry, but designed around 559 wheels? Will they take a 559 2.125” ?

Were they popular for their day? Any similar bikes produced today?

It seems like they were put out when bikes that weren’t MTBs or beach cruisers were all getting skinny 700c’s.
Old 10-28-23, 01:52 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,638 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
So these bikes are fairly lightweight, road bike geometry, but designed around 559 wheels? Will they take a 559 2.125” ?

It seems like they were put out when bikes that weren’t MTBs or beach cruisers were all getting skinny 700c’s.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l-rounder.html
Likes For nlerner:
Old 03-22-24, 01:13 AM
pdXO-2

Bikes: Bridgestone XO-2, Mile 112, Raleigh Sport (1970), Colt (1963)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Original almost perfect XO-2

Changed out the seat, pedals and grips but still have em.

oh yeah. Grant signed the top tube when he was in Portland.

Last edited by pdXO-2; 03-22-24 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Photo
Old 03-22-24, 07:20 AM
fliplap

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz

They were not lightweight, but did have roughly road bike geometry. Tire capacity ranged from 1.5 to 2.3 depending on the year and model. They weren’t particularly popular in their day and there really isn’t anything like them being produced today aside from the short run replicas that Handsome did awhile ago.