Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Thoughts/Experience with Handsome Cycles XOXO an X0-1 homage All-Rounder

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Thoughts/Experience with Handsome Cycles XOXO an X0-1 homage All-Rounder

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-23, 10:38 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 849 Posts
this would be kind of a cool upgrade. I am having troubles finding a stem and this definitely would give some more options. I probably won't do it but still like the idea, much better than any other threaded fork adaptors that I have seen.
www.innicycle.com
Old 01-23-23, 05:36 PM
jadmt

New stem and tape. ended up ordering the stem direct from Japan. crazy took 4 days from order to delivery and was cheaper than if I bought it here. Shipping was not a lot different what it cost here.

Last edited by jadmt; 01-24-23 at 10:32 AM.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 01-29-23, 06:49 PM
heytchap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt

New stem and tape. ended up ordering the stem direct from Japan. crazy took 4 days from order to delivery and was cheaper than if I bought it here. Shipping was not a lot different what it cost here.

I adore that stem. What is it?
Old 01-29-23, 10:04 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by heytchap
I adore that stem. What is it?
Simworks lettuce made by Nitto. I ended up ordering from Japan Simworks has a dealer in Portland but the 80mm stem was only available in Japan and i got the last one and apparently they are not going to make any more. They have longer ones at the portland shop. https://www.sim.works/collections/st...works-by-nitto It was actually less money to order it from Japan and only took 4 days to get it. I ordered from this place and they are Simworks mother shop according to Simworks. https://shop.circles-jp.com/en

Last edited by jadmt; 01-30-23 at 08:07 AM.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 02-10-23, 08:08 AM
jadmt

If you are on FB go to the Bridgestone XO-1 owners and fans page and see how one xoxo owner got screwed over by Hanson. it is on post where someone is selling a x03. He has plenty of photos. after my experience I feel for him. https://www.facebook.com/groups/48959876679
Old 02-12-23, 07:08 PM
heytchap

If you are on FB go to the Bridgestone XO-1 owners and fans page and see how one xoxo owner got screwed over by Hanson. it is on post where someone is selling a x03. He has plenty of photos. after my experience I feel for him. https://www.facebook.com/groups/48959876679
yikes. I still haven’t ridden mine. I’ve been riding my MB2, MB4, and a Club Fuji I converted to mustache.

going to check quality now….
Old 02-12-23, 07:11 PM
heytchap

My forks brake posts are welded on equally sloppily. I haven’t checked them for evenness yet and I kind of don’t want to know. I wonder what other delightful surprises await me…
Old 02-12-23, 10:22 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by heytchap
My forks brake posts are welded on equally sloppily. I haven’t checked them for evenness yet and I kind of don’t want to know. I wonder what other delightful surprises await me…
Makes you wonder how many poorly constructed frames are out there. I know i got two crap wheelsets and obviously something screwed up assembly wise for the chainring to eat into the chainstay. Pretty sure one of my rear brake bosses is not straight.
Old 03-05-23, 07:31 PM
jadmt

I have put 800 miles on mine since Jan 1st and had my first flat of the year yesterday. decided to retro a little with some stainless steel bottle cages. The BTP bar tape feels good but after a month already looks like crap.

Likes For jadmt:
Old 03-10-23, 01:48 PM
jadmt

decided to shave some excessive weight....8 grams a pop for a whopping 16 grams...hope they stop better than the tektros...
Likes For jadmt:
Old 03-14-23, 06:37 PM
Teamdarb

Bikes: 94' Barracuda A2M, 83 Ross 294 signature, 93 MB3, '87 BS 300 mixte, '86 420, '12 Trek 520, 92 720 and more

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
49cm frame. Mix of Ultegra and modern 105.

Serial# hcxo21005
Old 03-14-23, 07:25 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Teamdarb
49cm frame. Mix of Ultegra and modern 105.

Serial# hcxo21005
flip that front wheel around looks good. I really need a set of drop bars. if I had to do it over again I think i would do something like 105 or ultegra altho in reality if I had to do it over I think I wouldn't I see your brake boss is circled is it crooked? i think mine is. I can not get my rear brake adjusted no matter what and I think the boss is a little off.
Old 03-15-23, 01:06 PM
Teamdarb

Bikes: 94' Barracuda A2M, 83 Ross 294 signature, 93 MB3, '87 BS 300 mixte, '86 420, '12 Trek 520, 92 720 and more

...I see your brake boss...
I knew what I was getting into when dealing with anything related to Handsome.

Also, it is not circled or the reason I posted the photo. What you are seeing is the straddle cable uncut and looped.

Last edited by Teamdarb; 03-15-23 at 01:16 PM.
Likes For Teamdarb:
Old 03-21-23, 12:50 AM
Teamdarb

A bit more motivation

All dressed to go out.
Likes For Teamdarb:
Old 03-21-23, 02:24 PM
streetsurfer

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
That looks nice, Teamdarb.
Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 04-23-23, 10:13 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by streetsurfer
The RTP would fit on the front fine under this fender. I should say I believe it would.
I had looks in mind (sort of supermoto/dirt bike oriented) along with wanting to see if the wider rear might be softer off-road and a narrower front providing quicker steering. I ordered one of each thinking I’d choose between which I thought I liked best, if I didn't like the staggered set up, then get the second one of choice.
how are you liking the two different size tires? but a big piece of glass through one of naches.
Old 04-23-23, 12:17 PM
streetsurfer

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt;[url=tel:22868654
22868654]how are you liking the two different size tires? but a big piece of glass through one of naches.
sounds like tire was
a loss-sorry to hear that, if so.
I'm sorry, I don't have an opinion on the tire set yet, as I haven't been back out but for a minute to test an adjustment, but that wasn't on the XOXO.

my ribs and neck were giving me more trouble than the collarbone. I'm thinking I'd better give it a month or two more of strengthening now that I can finally work my neck, and the ribs seem better. Those didn't seem to be healing/progressing during the shoulder therapy, but the opposite. I've ended that therapy and now the others are finally improving.

I'll try and remember to post up. It may not be a best choice. I'd
lowsided on the stock Paselas and installed the R/H tires after the fall.

I hope you had a great winter!

Oh, and I am likely doing some time on rollers prior to going back on the street.
Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 04-23-23, 05:21 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by streetsurfer
sounds like tire was
a loss-sorry to hear that, if so.
I'm sorry, I don't have an opinion on the tire set yet, as I haven't been back out but for a minute to test an adjustment, but that wasn't on the XOXO.

my ribs and neck were giving me more trouble than the collarbone. I'm thinking I'd better give it a month or two more of strengthening now that I can finally work my neck, and the ribs seem better. Those didn't seem to be healing/progressing during the shoulder therapy, but the opposite. I've ended that therapy and now the others are finally improving.

I'll try and remember to post up. It may not be a best choice. I'd
lowsided on the stock Paselas and installed the R/H tires after the fall.

I hope you had a great winter!

Oh, and I am likely doing some time on rollers prior to going back on the street.
thanks. sorry to hear it is taking longer to heal up. dang age seems to slow healing down for sure, I do think rollers really help. I have been getting some decent rides in. just got in the door from a 45 mile ride (nice to have two wheelsets and was on the RTP today and I think I do like the naches better). I zeroed out my computer jan 1st and am at almost 1600 miles outside so far this year on the xoxo. Not sure if I want to chance riding on the naches or not. I patched it from the inside to get home but puncture is right in the center of the tread and it was big enough the glass shot right through the tire and flat was instant. At first I thought that I hit something that just punctured the tire and was surprised to find the glass (beer bottle) literally inside the tube. probably an inch long x1/4" wide. I do not know if you are on the ibob site but someone posted some pretty scary photos of the dyad 26 cracking and some thought it was because the RTP is too wide for the rim and even at RH recommended psi is too much for the rim. Velocity does say it should be used with a tire between 25-38mm wide so I guess that is concerning, One more thing to worry about lol.

Likes For jadmt:
Old 04-24-23, 12:49 PM
Teamdarb

That is an impressive failure for the Dyad. It is about at tough as they come.

I have found with using the same handlebars the tire size that compliments the frameset for me to be smaller than 40mm. Over 40 seems to impact steering from the pedals and hips. Ummm, creates a sort of understeer.
Likes For Teamdarb:
Old 04-24-23, 02:55 PM
jadmt

That is an impressive failure for the Dyad. It is about at tough as they come.

I have found with using the same handlebars the tire size that compliments the frameset for me to be smaller than 40mm. Over 40 seems to impact steering from the pedals and hips. Ummm, creates a sort of understeer.
It would be scary having that happen for sure. who knows what the real story is but will definitely keeping an eye on mine and not over filling them to set the beads. the Rene Herse are a pain to get the beads set compared to the T-servs or paselas that just go right into place. funny thing is I don't need tools either removing or installing the RH tires but the beads do not want to pop in to place with out a lot of pushing and fighting airing up and airing down etc.
are you running 1.5 or 1.75 T-servs? I have a set of 1.5 and I like them and was running them until I scored the deal on the naches pass tires. I do like the smaller naches over the rtp. I will probably slap the T-servs on the other set of wheels while deciding whether or not to order another naches pass tire. the naches are around 41mm and the 1.5 t-servs are around 36mm the rtp 51mm.

Last edited by jadmt; 04-24-23 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-24-23, 03:19 PM
Teamdarb

RH tires been that way for years along with their "customer service".

I have tried the Michelin 1.0, 1.4, Pasela 1.5 and current the T serv 1.75. The handling was much better with the narrow 1.4 which measured much smaller than listed. I am using a 38mm wide bar and rear wheel is 10mm back onto the dropout.

It would be scary having that happen for sure. who knows what the real story is but will definitely keeping an eye on mine and not over filling them to set the beads. the Rene Herse are a pain to get the beads set compared to the T-servs or paselas that just go right into place. funny thing is I don't need tools either removing or installing the RH tires but the beads do not want to pop in to place with out a lot of pushing and fighting airing up and airing down etc.
are you running 1.5 or 1.75 T-servs? I have a set of 1.5 and I like them and was running them until I scored the deal on the naches pass tires. I do like the smaller naches over the rtp. I will probably slap the T-servs on the other set of wheels while deciding whether or not to order another naches pass tire. the naches are around 41mm and the 1.5 t-servs are around 36mm the rtp 51mm.
Old 04-24-23, 04:00 PM
jadmt

RH tires been that way for years along with their "customer service".

I have tried the Michelin 1.0, 1.4, Pasela 1.5 and current the T serv 1.75. The handling was much better with the narrow 1.4 which measured much smaller than listed. I am using a 38mm wide bar and rear wheel is 10mm back onto the dropout.
I have not messed around with the drop out adjustments. I have the non drive screw all the way in so that has to be about 10mm back too and the cassette side backed off about a 1mm otherwise my wheel does not sit perfectly square. one day I will get a wild hair and move them further back and see if I notice any difference. I would like to find some little springs for the screws to keep them from moving in the drop outs when I do that tho..my only experience with RH customer service is when I ordered my RTP they said they were in stock but then took a long time to ship them and I am only 500 miles from them and of course no way to get ahold of them to see if they were shipped and lost or just not shipped. It is easy to get spoiled by those companies that send tracking right away .
Old 04-24-23, 04:17 PM
Teamdarb

The adjust makes a huge difference for me with the small frame. When I ran it with the wheel far forward for a week mainly for fender fit, the bike was harsh to ride despite using a zero offset seat post. The chain angle was very steep in the climbing gears. With the wheel far back it felt like dragging a bag of sand and comfortable. I swear I will identify what off shelf stock this small frame really is one day. It seems to be more in line with campeur minus the braze-ons and fork offset.

I am, also, amazed at the number of people still coming up to me stating they are waiting for full builds or frames. The other day a bike shopper owner expressed the same issue.

I have not messed around with the drop out adjustments.
Old 04-24-23, 04:25 PM
Teamdarb

.... I would like to find some little springs for the screws to keep them from moving in the drop outs when I do that
The springs came with the frameset. Albiet, I had to dig around in the protective wrap before I found them stuck to tape . Did you not find yours?
Old 04-24-23, 05:20 PM
jadmt

The springs came with the frameset. Albiet, I had to dig around in the protective wrap before I found them stuck to tape . Did you not find yours?
No, I ordered mine built by Handsome with the 1x11 build and they did not have the springs installed. pretty much a rip off the more I think about it. I was foolish and ordered two sets of wheels and both sets needed to have the rears redone and they were about 5mm off on dish and the spokes were so loose on the cassette side you could turn them with out fingers. probably spent $1400-1500 for a bike that has the quality of a 600-700 bike. I know one of my brake bosses is not welded on straight which makes the rear brake all but impossible to get adjusted. Lots of assembly stuff that was short cutted or left out. they did not even have the spacer that the road hub needs to run the mountain bike cassette so my cassette was loose. I would be curious if others who had them built had the adjuster springs left off too. I like how the bike looks and rides but it is a heavy bike and the frame and fork has to weigh more than what they claimed. mine is a 56cm.
Are you saying there are still Handsome customers who are waiting on their XOXO's? yikes that borders on fraud. can I get a close up photo of your drop out? thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.