Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Home Depot substitute for brake cable end crimps?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Home Depot substitute for brake cable end crimps?

Old 04-15-22, 09:03 PM
mikedk13

Bikes: '21 Trek Domane AL3, '18 Trek FX2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Those are soooo tempting.

Makes me wondering if some locking pin backs (they've got set screws like those) would work. I'm not sure if the holes through them are the right size, but I don't want to cut the ends off my cables to try. I bought an excessive number of those by mistake once...

Originally Posted by Rolla
Not available at a hardware store, but these $18 Cable Cherries sure look purty:

Likes For mikedk13:
Old 04-16-22, 04:51 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
there is no good substitute and I have had no luck with soldering stainless even with flux
I used to solder the cables, but when I moved to stainless, it no longer worked for me.
Originally Posted by ericoseveins
I welded a cable end once just to see how easy it was. My welder is lift-arc and it was annoying difficult to get my arc started because, you know, it's a flexible cable. I think I used the lowest possible amperage for the shortest possible time and it worked a treat. Obviously not in any way worth the trouble.
I regularly TIG weld my cables. I think mine is high frequency.

It hasn't been perfect, but generally not bad. It only takes a second to get the end welded, hopefully without a ball, so the wire can be pulled and reused.
Old 04-16-22, 07:10 AM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I regularly TIG weld my cables.
Ha, I just tried the one time and went back to using crimps. It was easy but like you said I balled up the end slightly and had to file a bit to get it through new housing. I felt like it wasn't worth the argon, let alone the set-up time but it definitely looks nice and clean.
Old 04-16-22, 08:14 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Heat shrink tubing?
Cyanoacrylic (Krazy-type) adhesive will also keep the strands together. The UV-cure kind hardens instantly.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 04-17-22, 12:53 PM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Have switched to heat shrink and the major benefit is that it’s application does not bent the cable end — meaning when you remove a crimp many times the cable end is buggered and that matters if you ever have adjustments to make that require pulling the cable and hoping to reuse it. Hard to reuse frayed cable ends as they don’t thread though housings easily.
Old 04-17-22, 01:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
In all the years of messing with bicycles, I've never entertained the idea to reinstall a cable that was previously fully installed through shifter housing during scheduled maintenance after the factory end was removed. If that cable had to come back out from the shifter housing, it went into the trash. Cables & housing was cheap, & pride is expensive... No one wants to make the on-the-road call from being a cheapskate.

Disclaimer* This was common practice prior to the supply chain disruptions.
Old 04-17-22, 02:11 PM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Maybe I adjust and tinker a lot. Switch a handlebar here or a derailleur there ;-)
Old 04-17-22, 02:44 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by obuckler
maybe i adjust and tinker a lot. Switch a handlebar here or a derailleur there ;-)

n+1 !-}
Old 04-17-22, 08:37 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26381 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...t-shot-weights
1/50oz is about the smallest I've seen at a local sports store.
...I have been buying and using wire crimps from the fishing tackle store on both brake and derailleur cables for years now. They come in different sizes, and the smaller diameter on derailleur cables works better with a smaller size (I forget which I use, maybe a #3, and a #4 for brake cables ? Anyway, you can measure for yourself.)

They come in packs of 20, 50, or 100. I do a lot of cabling, so usually order 100 at a time.

You need a crimping tool, but those are readily available, because everyone who fishes with wire leaders has at least one. I've been using the old one that the Bell telephone repair guys used to use, because I like old tools and it works very well. There are always a lot of them for sale on Ebay, because there are no more Bell phone repairmen.

These are steel crimps, so they crimp on more firmly than the aluminum ones commonly sold for bicycle cables. Usually not important, but it comes in handy if you are replacing a cable in a SA 3 speed shifter setup, and you want a clean look in a custom replacement cable and housing.

Old 04-17-22, 09:21 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
If I want a few end crimps for brake/shifter cables, what's a good hardware store-available substitute rather than having to get a package of proper bicycle cable crimp ends off ebay etc?
Dang, I was going to offer to mail you a couple if you PM me your name and address, but after I checked, I realized I had bought a pack of 100 Shimano derailleur cable end caps.
Old 04-18-22, 06:13 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
I am now in the camp of a drop of super glue with the cable end slid on. To remove, I use a pair of pliers and a tap with a hammer on the pliers.
Old 04-18-22, 07:14 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I have been buying and using wire crimps from the fishing tackle store on both brake and derailleur cables for years now. They come in different sizes, and the smaller diameter on derailleur cables works better with a smaller size (I forget which I use, maybe a #3, and a #4 for brake cables ? Anyway, you can measure for yourself.)

They come in packs of 20, 50, or 100. I do a lot of cabling, so usually order 100 at a time.

You need a crimping tool, but those are readily available, because everyone who fishes with wire leaders has at least one. I've been using the old one that the Bell telephone repair guys used to use, because I like old tools and it works very well. There are always a lot of them for sale on Ebay, because there are no more Bell phone repairmen.
These are steel crimps, so they crimp on more firmly than the aluminum ones commonly sold for bicycle cables. Usually not important, but it comes in handy if you are replacing a cable in a SA 3 speed shifter setup, and you want a clean look in a custom replacement cable and housing.
Sure, if I see them & remember to do so the next time I am there.
I've been wanting to experiment with the one's at the local store to see if they would close more effectively around a shift cable end with some open flame. Closing cold works, but they could look a little better without the gnarly gap IMO..
Old 04-18-22, 08:31 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
A bit of gel super glue works great. I even have had semi frayed ends that I was able to get back in shape by gluing and twisting with some rubber gloves on. All this because I didn't have the end pieces in the first place lol.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 04-18-22, 11:04 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Use a few coats of nail polish if you want a color option.
Old 04-18-22, 11:33 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I used to solder the cables, but when I moved to stainless, it no longer worked for me.

I had good luck soldering stainless steel cables using silver solder
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 04-18-22, 12:26 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
You can also press on split lead fishing weights - little balls of lead with a split in them, should be able to pick up at just about any sporting goods store selling fishing stuff. The lead is soft enough to conform tightly around the cable and form a little ball at the end.
Old 04-18-22, 10:42 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
Originally Posted by mprince
You can also press on split lead fishing weights.
For the spiteful anti-weight weenie.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-20-22, 08:29 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
One late evening session I discovered that the insulation off a single-strand 1.5mm2 electrical cable is an excellent fit for brake cables. Not as much for shifter cables. I have, on occasion, also used heat shrink tubing, discarded spoke nipples and tiny pop rivets. Never done the super glue thing.
Old 04-20-22, 09:43 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Goop automotive glue works.
It also breaks away easily with pliers if you need to work on a component...

Last edited by curbtender; 04-20-22 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-20-22, 09:54 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
Since I have a supply of these in aluminum, I’ve used them. The solid actuating pin slides off. IIRC 3/32 but measure, my memory is fading fast.

I’ve used these on numerous occasions too! A bit wasteful but I have a boatload of them.
Old 04-20-22, 11:33 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
I'm still using the package of 100 crimps bought on eBay a couple years ago for $2.28.

If you want, I can send you a couple. Just include $20 for shipping+handling.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-20-22, 01:13 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Instead of using super-glue (alpahcyanoacrylate glue), try using epoxy. I use JB Weld. While super glue is strong, it is also more brittle than JB Weld. You need to apply epoxy to the dry un-greased new cable. If done properly you can still withdraw the wire back out of the housing if needed. Interesting fact: The first time I heard of alphacyanoacrylate glue is when a mortician asked me if I new of a cheaper sources for it. That's back when it first came out and he was being charged around $20 for the same size tube you get today for a dollar or so. They use it to glue eyes shut and mouth closed.
Old 04-20-22, 01:30 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Who the hell needs Home Depot? I have used a gummy bear on one bike for 10+ years. Still there. And some day I am going to eat it.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 04-21-22, 08:09 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
I just bought a package of colored crimps that'll last me forever. I used a lot of the blue ones already as I have 2 bikes that use blue.
Old 04-21-22, 08:21 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Who the hell needs Home Depot? I have used a gummy bear on one bike for 10+ years. Still there. And some day I am going to eat it.
Ok, let's get a picture of the of the gummy and does one color work better than the others?
Likes For Mr. 66:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.