Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Us Your Vintage Cannondale!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Us Your Vintage Cannondale!

Old 08-09-18, 09:29 AM
fasthair

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Dagnabbit... I have 6 Cannondale's already and I keep telling myself no more. But every time I see one of these ST's model like said @Rotten... the urge is strong. Luckily (unluckily?) I don't see any pop up for sale around here.

fasthair
Old 08-09-18, 11:10 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
It bit me hard also, and then a ‘88 ST700 frameset popped on Facebook Marketplace for sale locally ($50). I couldn’t help myself.
Old 08-10-18, 07:57 PM
Jay.Money

Bikes: The Grocery Getter.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just picked this up! Seems to be original except for the bar, stem (and adapter) and seat. Very nice condition overall and shifted nicely on the short ride home. A little tune and clean!

Last edited by Jay.Money; 08-10-18 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-19-18, 12:30 AM
misctrader

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 14 Posts
Any one in the Phoenix area, there is a mid 80s ST400 with full Dura Ace for $229. I'm sure someone here would be interested, it seems like a good deal.
Here is the link: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/b...674299318.html
Old 08-21-18, 08:26 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay.Money
Just picked this up! Seems to be original except for the bar, stem (and adapter) and seat. Very nice condition overall and shifted nicely on the short ride home. A little tune and clean!

Sweet bike, love that French blue. 👍 My previous bike was an '88 ST400, with almost full Tri-color. All that's left now are the wheels, still spinning smooth. I put Deore DX on this one instead, way more appropriate for touring. 😎
Old 08-21-18, 08:31 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by natterberry
It bit me hard also, and then a ‘88 ST700 frameset popped on Facebook Marketplace for sale locally ($50). I couldn’t help myself.
You stole that one. 😁
Old 08-21-18, 08:35 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts

Old 09-12-18, 09:18 AM
fasthair

Neat bike! Is that a Jr with 24" wheels? Come on, tell us about it. Boy sure looks happy.

fasthair

Originally Posted by -holiday76
Old 09-12-18, 09:42 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts

Building this M500 up with some LX parts from a thrift store Deal. I did get a Velocity clyde wheelset for it, though. I still have to do the fiddly bits, but it's looking kinda like a bike now.

I hadn't planned on any aesthetics when I started this, but I think this crankset is a bit of an eyesore. I'll be mounting the silver LX crank on it to even out the look.
Old 09-12-18, 09:51 AM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by fasthair
Neat bike! Is that a Jr with 24" wheels? Come on, tell us about it. Boy sure looks happy.

fasthair
nope, that's a 700c tiny womens road bike. '88. I think it measures about 52cm?

My son was really enjoying it but he happened to fracture his arm playing flag football before we could get out for a nice long ride, so now we'll need to wait another month or so.

I picked the bike up on the for sale forum here not long ago.

It was a good purchase for sure.

Old 09-12-18, 10:18 AM
fasthair

Poor little dude Welcome to the club young man. By the time I was his age I had broke my arm x2/wrist/collarbone... twice on the bike and twice from horses. He's young so he will heal quickly unlike this old man when I broke my pelvis a couple years ago and yes it was the bike again

Sounds like I need to cruise the for sale forum... like I need another Cannondale.

fasthair

Originally Posted by -holiday76
nope, that's a 700c tiny womens road bike. '88. I think it measures about 52cm?

My son was really enjoying it but he happened to fracture his arm playing flag football before we could get out for a nice long ride, so now we'll need to wait another month or so.

I picked the bike up on the for sale forum here not long ago.

It was a good purchase for sure.
Old 09-13-18, 02:32 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts

I posted this one in another thread and with help there have identified it as a 1989 model year, probably an SR300, size 60 frame (frame build date is late ‘88).
Brought it to work today for a lunch lap and flatted the rear tire at 4 miles, I probably shouldn’t have re-used the 29 year old tubes when I replaced the original tires on it. Live and learn.

Last edited by treebound; 09-13-18 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-14-18, 06:43 PM
dhager

Bikes: 1992 Raleigh Pursuit "FrankenBike", 2006 Cannondale Adventure 400, 1987 Cannondale ST600, 1989 Cannondale ST600 project

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1986 ST600 that I refurbished earlier this year. I found replacement parts on eBay, online bike stores and Amazon, replaced most components other than the seat post and the 27" Mavic wheelset that came with the bike. Yeah, I decided to stick with 27" rather than convert to 700C. Shimano Tiagra FD & RD, Specialized triple crankset, Shimano RSX brifters, Tektro brakes, Soma bars. It rides nice, but I haven't tested it on any long rides as I had hoped to, just around my very hilly neighborhood where the low gearing comes in handy.

Old 10-14-18, 07:16 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 174 Posts
Well I’m sure there are plenty of Black Lightning’s on here, but here’s mine.

Old 10-14-18, 07:43 PM
Buellster

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Cannondale ST500

I get to post on this thread now! Yay!
my 1985(though maybe sold in 86) St500 cannondale bought for $40.
I've given the parts a good cleaning and put things back together since this photo. I also added a hideous coat of rustoleum to it after sanding the ferrus oxide off. I'm riding it to be sure I enjoy the feel of it. So far on the couple jaunts around town I've done I LOVE it. I'm planning on taking it in for a new powder coat sometime this winter if my fondness stays at current levels.
I do have a query for you cannondale afficenados. The Huret Sachs derailur it came with is... odd. It looks to be the one it originally came with but the mounting is funky. When it came to me it was mounted at a very steep angle, I couldnt adjust it because the mounting nut only has two keyed positions. I changed out for a newer suntour something or other derailur because I'm just used to lining things up with the chain stay. What has been your experience with the Sachs Huret? Throw it in the trash? Put it on and just deal with the odd angle? Buy a new nut so that it fits right?
ANYWAY
pics!

There is is! Looks good from here.

There is is! Looks good from here.

Theres that oxidation. I scrubbed this all down and covered the bad spots with rustoleum. Didnt check the can well enough and now the bike is part glossy black. Makes good theif deturent.

That odd (to me) derailur angle I spoke of.
Old 10-14-18, 11:41 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
1991 Cannondale SC2000

Steep head tube angle, larger down tube diameter, and it says "CRITERIUM" on the non-drive-side chain stay. Color/graphics are not in the catalog, but as a Pro Series it is a 1000 or 2000 level. I went with the closer one, and am thankful it is not yellow or that it says Mavic on it. I saw it at the "coop" looking as sad as anything I've seen. It now has Shimano 600 (6400 era). This is after the initial build-up, before the test ride. I've tweaked a few things, including changing the handlebars to something wider (38mm CTC is too narrow here, but I had to try the criterium/track bars on it!), but it works better, though something is missing....I must find out what "it" is... (but not the looks. This thing looks great.)

[Ok, to be fair, this bike is 100% competent and the ride IS NOT HARSH in any way. In fact, it is so stridently neutral in character (other than very quick, smooth steering) that it fails to have a defining characteristic! Seriously, people. This is the bonkers version and not the road race version with relaxed geometry (which is very nice, BTW). Do not fear this bike.]

Old 10-21-18, 04:33 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

OK, here's my unintentional score, a 22" framed 2000 Silk Path 700, in Atlantic Blue. This paint's pretty rough up close, but cool enough to keep. 😎
I never measured those chainstays yet, but that's a 700x38 tire on the back, plus a little space for a kick stand, built in there. And 3 sets of bottle braze-ons, means this one's already set for touring, kinda. 👍
Old 10-21-18, 04:49 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,185 Times in 961 Posts
...plus @stardognine, it has Headshok smoothness taking away all the nasty bumps and ruts!
@RiddleOfSteel your Pro Series looks supersonic just standing still.
@Buellster--- oh my eyes ache just beholding the dirt and grime on that Sachs Huret RD and freewheel! Egads!!!!!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 10-21-18, 04:59 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Here's what I meant, lol, plus a pic of my LX skunk brakes. What else could you possibly call them? 😁 The cranks are older LX FC-M550, with 24-36-48 rings, and pretty much all else is XT M750.
Old 10-21-18, 05:14 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Buellster
I get to post on this thread now! Yay!
my 1985(though maybe sold in 86) St500 cannondale bought for $40.
I've given the parts a good cleaning and put things back together since this photo. I also added a hideous coat of rustoleum to it after sanding the ferrus oxide off. I'm riding it to be sure I enjoy the feel of it. So far on the couple jaunts around town I've done I LOVE it. I'm planning on taking it in for a new powder coat sometime this winter if my fondness stays at current levels.
I do have a query for you cannondale afficenados. The Huret Sachs derailur it came with is... odd. It looks to be the one it originally came with but the mounting is funky. When it came to me it was mounted at a very steep angle, I couldnt adjust it because the mounting nut only has two keyed positions. I changed out for a newer suntour something or other derailur because I'm just used to lining things up with the chain stay. What has been your experience with the Sachs Huret? Throw it in the trash? Put it on and just deal with the odd angle? Buy a new nut so that it fits right?
ANY

There is is! Looks good from here.Theres that oxidation. I scrubbed this all down and covered the bad spots with rustoleum. Didnt check the can well enough and now the bike is part glossy black. Makes good theif deturent.

That odd (to me) derailur angle I spoke of.
Good looking job. I picked up a 1985 ST 400 earlier this year and I love the bike. It has been long time since I've used that Huret RD. I did use one when I rode across the country. It's a good derailleur that can take an unbelievable amount of chain wrap but you do have to baby it a bit when shifting. Personally I'd likely replace it with a suntour or a shimano unit but you may want to post a thread on this in C&V. I think this Huret mounts up a bit differently.
Old 10-21-18, 05:16 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
My resurrected 1998 or so Cannondale that I pulled out of a guys truck at the dump last week after it was in a shed that had caught on fire (see my other thread for other photos). Took it for a shakedown ride today and was impressed.

Likes For scozim:
Old 10-21-18, 10:36 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I had posted in June.... that I had sold my classic Cannondale.

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Actually..... I sold my 99 CAAD2 today...…..
I can only own so many bikes. And I had impulsively purchased a like new (nearly new) CAAD 10. But I still had a wall queen that hung in my man cave (a yellow, steel, Trek 360). Long story shortened.... I traded my Trek for this 98 R300 CAD2

Rides Great.
Old 10-21-18, 11:29 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Good looking job. I picked up a 1985 ST 400 earlier this year and I love the bike. It has been long time since I've used that Huret RD. I did use one when I rode across the country. It's a good derailleur that can take an unbelievable amount of chain wrap but you do have to baby it a bit when shifting. Personally I'd likely replace it with a suntour or a shimano unit but you may want to post a thread on this in C&V. I think this Huret mounts up a bit differently.
I've got a newer generation suntour something or other on it currently. I also had to change out the factory free wheel for a regina corsa I had around. 5 speed to 5 speed and the gearing feels pretty similair teeth wise.
I really cant rave about this bike enough. It rides so wonderfully! This bike needs a repaint because I want to hold on to it for a long time.
Somone let me know that was the appropriate way and some pics I've found online seem to confirm it. I'll keep it around. I'd like to try it with the original parts on it and see how it feels.
It will probably get deconstructed here pretty soon. The paint job I did on it was not good quality and I'm so in love with it that I dont want to ride it in the rain with this poor cover up job.
I am officially a believer in cannondale now. If I see another one around for a deal I wont be turning my nose up at it.

also
Cross country bike trek? Tell me more!
When did you do that? How far did you travel and how long did it take?
Old 10-22-18, 06:57 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Buellster
I've got a newer generation suntour something or other on it currently. I also had to change out the factory free wheel for a regina corsa I had around. 5 speed to 5 speed and the gearing feels pretty similair teeth wise.
I really cant rave about this bike enough. It rides so wonderfully! This bike needs a repaint because I want to hold on to it for a long time.
Somone let me know that was the appropriate way and some pics I've found online seem to confirm it. I'll keep it around. I'd like to try it with the original parts on it and see how it feels.
It will probably get deconstructed here pretty soon. The paint job I did on it was not good quality and I'm so in love with it that I dont want to ride it in the rain with this poor cover up job.
I am officially a believer in cannondale now. If I see another one around for a deal I wont be turning my nose up at it.

also
Cross country bike trek? Tell me more!
When did you do that? How far did you travel and how long did it take?
There's no difference geometry wise between the 1985 ST 500 and 400. The frame is the same but the fork is a little nicer on the 500 and the parts group was a bit better (particularly the rims). Running 700c wheels on these bikes (they originally came with 27 inch) gives you a little better clearance and a lot more tire options. This has become one of my all time favorite C&V bikes. Usually a bike with a long wheelbase (18 inch stays) is a little sluggish but these bikes are plenty stiff so that is a non issue. The long wheelbase makes the bike really comfortable over distance (plus no problems with heel strike if running panniers). The classic French bikes like the Peugeot UO 8 (and the 9 and 10) had 42 inch wheelbases as well with lots of room for fat tires. It's a good geometry.

I did a cross country in '97 from Seattle to Boston in a little over 9 weeks on a 1983 Trek 720. That also is a long wheelbase bike with 18 inch stays. I used a huret duopar rear derailleur. I had to baby it a bit when shifting (i.e, never under a load). You should do that with any RD but I think you have to be a little more careful with the Huret. It can handle an unbelievable amount of chain with style but it is not the stoutest RD I have ever used. Personally I'd rather run a suntour or any of the shimano mtb RDs (deore series). I'm currently running 2 x 7 on my 1984 ST 400 but I plan on rebuilding it 3 x 7 with 7 speed bar ends. This is the bike I plan on using for tough events with lots of climbing.

Last edited by bikemig; 10-22-18 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-22-18, 08:05 AM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
There's no difference geometry wise between the 1985 ST 500 and 400. The frame is the same but the fork is a little nicer on the 500 and the parts group was a bit better (particularly the rims). Running 700c wheels on these bikes (they originally came with 27 inch) gives you a little better clearance and a lot more tire options. This has become one of my all time favorite C&V bikes. Usually a bike with a long wheelbase (18 inch stays) is a little sluggish but these bikes are plenty stiff so that is a non issue. The long wheelbase makes the bike really comfortable over distance (plus no problems with heel strike if running panniers). The classic French bikes like the Peugeot UO 8 (and the 9 and 10) had 42 inch wheelbases as well with lots of room for fat tires. It's a good geometry.

I did a cross country in '97 from Seattle to Boston in a little over 9 weeks on a 1983 Trek 720. That also is a long wheelbase bike with 18 inch stays. I used a huret duopar rear derailleur. I had to baby it a bit when shifting (i.e, never under a load). You should do that with any RD but I think you have to be a little more careful with the Huret. It can handle an unbelievable amount of chain with style but it is not the stoutest RD I have ever used. Personally I'd rather run a suntour or any of the shimano mtb RDs (deore series). I'm currently running 2 x 7 on my 1984 ST 400 but I plan on rebuilding it 3 x 7 with 7 speed bar ends. This is the bike I plan on using for tough events with lots of climbing.

So it really was a cross country trek! *drum roll, snare*
Seriously though that's amazing. My girlfriend and I are dreaming up a plan to do some bike touring in Scotland, but nothing near as epic as a cross country.
My first and C&V was a U08! It is still one of my favorite rides. I sold it to a friend who, like I was, is constantly impressed at how fast he can get it going. That thing was a speed demon and thanks to that longer wheelbase I hardly had any toe lap at all.
You've a beautiful cdale there. Clearly well cared for. It's easy to tell with these given the delicate nature of the paint. Mine was definitely stored in a poorly sealed shed by the last owner and on a porch by the one before. In portland with all the moisture that's basically in the rain. I'm glad it held on like it did but the paint certiantly didnt make it.
you mentioned 700c wheels? I'd love to swap over but I'm a bit confused about the rear spacing. Somone had mentioned to me it was 126mm but that doesnt seem right. When I was swapping freewheels I initially tried just putting in another 27" 126mm(I think) wheel I've got, but it was it just barley made it to the dropouts and I couldnt cinch it down. The rear wheel it came with is 126mm nit with an extra spacer coming out of the nondriveside. Was yours larger than 126?

Spacer as pictured. I belive this is the oem rim and wheel set.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.