Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.3

Old 09-05-22, 07:56 AM
  #5451  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 53,976

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11747 Post(s)
Liked 3,047 Times in 1,774 Posts
Fun fact: Manlius, IL was named after Manlius, NY
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Likes For rjones28:
Old 09-05-22, 08:58 AM
  #5452  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 40,591

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9814 Post(s)
Liked 4,792 Times in 2,506 Posts
Man, I shoulda went to the local sports bar for the game yesterday.

After a 4.5 hour rain delay, the Mariners beat the Guardians 6-3 in 11 innings. They sweep the road trip and have won 7 straight.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 09:36 AM
  #5453  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
DougRNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 9,462

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6868 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
Man, I shoulda went to the local sports bar for the game yesterday.





Take your pick. Prolly should watch the red hot Mariners.
DougRNS is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 09:42 AM
  #5454  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,938
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked 4,253 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Fun fact: Manlius, IL was named after Manlius, NY
Fun fact: Manlius, IL is the type of place in which you never want to find yourself.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 10:03 AM
  #5455  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,871

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 539 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19539 Post(s)
Liked 6,214 Times in 3,010 Posts
Just back from a bonus Labor Day ride. It was mostly good, with one minor exception:

One of the riders had a flat. That's no big deal, I don't get angry about flats, it's part of the deal. I usually try to be at peace with this and only really get annoyed if I am under a time crunch (which I wasn't). My general strategy when others flat is to ask if they know what they are doing, and if so, just stand back and bite my tongue if they have a minor screw-up....and only give suggestions if they are really messing it up.

So I sat back and found a shady spot. The guy with the flat is a very experienced rider, and I was hopeful this would be a 3 minute pit stop. It was not meant to be.

He got the tire off and popped in a new tube. I usually think it's best to run the inside of the tire to find/remove the culprit shard (unless this was a pinch flat). He did not do that. He got frustrated remounting the tire and had to use a tire lever (I bit my tongue about that too). Then he broke out his "new" C02 inflator. He screwed the cartridge on and then screwed the inflator onto his valve. He started messing with the device and after a couple of minutes he was not getting any airflow and decided to take the inflator off. He could not, it was stuck, so he took the cartridge off (BOOM!) and was able to extricate the inflator and borrowed someone else's. They inflated the tire and (of course) it did not hold any air. I finally spoke up and said "please let's run your tire for any shards and please put another tube on without using the tire lever," one of my friends who was closer to the action apparently ran the tire with no shard, and the rider was able to (with some frustration) install a borrowed tube, remount the tire without a lever, and get it inflated.

Total time: approx 20 minutes.

I really wish all cyclists who run tubes and want to use C02 would do a trial run in their garage so they know how to use it. I also wish they would know to inspect the inside of the flat for the cause, and to use the center channel of the rim to minimize need to remount tire with tire levers.

TL;DR datlas had a fun ride but was slightly annoyed by his fellow cyclist's amateur flat fix skilz.

#stillgrateful
#firstworldproblems
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 09-05-22, 10:22 AM
  #5456  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 40,591

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9814 Post(s)
Liked 4,792 Times in 2,506 Posts
A lot of Californians have been talking about the heat wave, looks like Rock Springs got hit too!

LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 10:26 AM
  #5457  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 40,591

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9814 Post(s)
Liked 4,792 Times in 2,506 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS View Post


Take your pick. Prolly should watch the red hot Mariners.
Ms for sure! I might have to clean of the couch in my office for this one. Sitting in the wheeled chair gets old after an hour or so. I keep threatening to hook a computer up to the bedroom TV for the ultimate in baseball streaming comfort, but just haven't located that round tuit yet.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 10:33 AM
  #5458  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 40,591

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9814 Post(s)
Liked 4,792 Times in 2,506 Posts
CinqueWordle 443 5/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 11:30 AM
  #5459  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,871

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 539 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19539 Post(s)
Liked 6,214 Times in 3,010 Posts
In “The Right Tool for the Job” category, any guesses as to what I was able to fix?


__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 11:32 AM
  #5460  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,330

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20610 Post(s)
Liked 9,276 Times in 4,595 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Just back from a bonus Labor Day ride. It was mostly good, with one minor exception:

One of the riders had a flat. That's no big deal, I don't get angry about flats, it's part of the deal. I usually try to be at peace with this and only really get annoyed if I am under a time crunch (which I wasn't). My general strategy when others flat is to ask if they know what they are doing, and if so, just stand back and bite my tongue if they have a minor screw-up....and only give suggestions if they are really messing it up.

So I sat back and found a shady spot. The guy with the flat is a very experienced rider, and I was hopeful this would be a 3 minute pit stop. It was not meant to be.

He got the tire off and popped in a new tube. I usually think it's best to run the inside of the tire to find/remove the culprit shard (unless this was a pinch flat). He did not do that. He got frustrated remounting the tire and had to use a tire lever (I bit my tongue about that too). Then he broke out his "new" C02 inflator. He screwed the cartridge on and then screwed the inflator onto his valve. He started messing with the device and after a couple of minutes he was not getting any airflow and decided to take the inflator off. He could not, it was stuck, so he took the cartridge off (BOOM!) and was able to extricate the inflator and borrowed someone else's. They inflated the tire and (of course) it did not hold any air. I finally spoke up and said "please let's run your tire for any shards and please put another tube on without using the tire lever," one of my friends who was closer to the action apparently ran the tire with no shard, and the rider was able to (with some frustration) install a borrowed tube, remount the tire without a lever, and get it inflated.

Total time: approx 20 minutes.

I really wish all cyclists who run tubes and want to use C02 would do a trial run in their garage so they know how to use it. I also wish they would know to inspect the inside of the flat for the cause, and to use the center channel of the rim to minimize need to remount tire with tire levers.

TL;DR datlas had a fun ride but was slightly annoyed by his fellow cyclist's amateur flat fix skilz.

#stillgrateful
#firstworldproblems
So you're saying that tubeless should be more popular?

WhyFi is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 11:38 AM
  #5461  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,871

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 539 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19539 Post(s)
Liked 6,214 Times in 3,010 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
So you're saying that tubeless should be more popular?

Possibly. That is one conclusion. Interestingly, flat guy said he has a GP5000TL he plans to install. He was asking questions about how to seat it, etc. so I think he is tubeless-curious.

"Popular" makes me think of this Wicked classic:


__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 11:43 AM
  #5462  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 40,591

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9814 Post(s)
Liked 4,792 Times in 2,506 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
In “The Right Tool for the Job” category, any guesses as to what I was able to fix?


Mid-90s Saturn headgasket?

Naww, no Torx wrench, can't be that
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 11:44 AM
  #5463  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,330

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20610 Post(s)
Liked 9,276 Times in 4,595 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Possibly. That is one conclusion. Interestingly, flat guy said he has a GP5000TL he plans to install. He was asking questions about how to seat it, etc. so I think he is tubeless-curious.
Oof. I have a hunch that a lot of the early road tubeless angst was from overly tight fits (this was a combination of both rim and tire manufacturers trying to play it safe) and Stan's sealant (which is the go-to for lower pressure MTB) not working particularly well for the application. I think that a lot of tubeless-curious sat out until such time as Conti jumped in... and they laid a egg with the GP5kTL, which are also CYA super tight, souring those people on road tubeless, too.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 11:49 AM
  #5464  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,871

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 539 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19539 Post(s)
Liked 6,214 Times in 3,010 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Oof. I have a hunch that a lot of the early road tubeless angst was from overly tight fits (this was a combination of both rim and tire manufacturers trying to play it safe) and Stan's sealant (which is the go-to for lower pressure MTB) not working particularly well for the application. I think that a lot of tubeless-curious sat out until such time as Conti jumped in... and they laid a egg with the GP5kTL, which are also CYA super tight, souring those people on road tubeless, too.
Stay tuned. I honestly believe road tubeless is viable now, but probably not worth it for someone like me who gets a flat once or twice/year. Plus I am stuck running 23 or 25mm on the Habanero, and I also think the benefits of tubeless become more evident as you go wider, say 28+.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 12:10 PM
  #5465  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 21,336
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5728 Post(s)
Liked 5,493 Times in 2,814 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
In “The Right Tool for the Job” category, any guesses as to what I was able to fix?

Plumbing? A new faucet?
big john is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 12:12 PM
  #5466  
Jack Tone 
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 499
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
In “The Right Tool for the Job” category, any guesses as to what I was able to fix?



Bathroom/Kitchen faucet?
Jack Tone is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 12:18 PM
  #5467  
datlas 
Should Be More Popular
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 39,871

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 539 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19539 Post(s)
Liked 6,214 Times in 3,010 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
Plumbing? A new faucet?
Originally Posted by Jack Tone View Post
Bathroom/Kitchen faucet?
Close enough. Kitchen faucet got loose/wiggly and very tough to access under the counter and behind the sink. I had to be a contortionist but was able to get it done.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 12:40 PM
  #5468  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,938
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked 4,253 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
In “The Right Tool for the Job” category, any guesses as to what I was able to fix?


Co-riders flat. I see two bead jacks for the stubborn tire. And a thru-axle wrench.
Mojo31 is offline  
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-05-22, 12:44 PM
  #5469  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,938
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked 4,253 Times in 2,315 Posts
I’m TL curious, but my concern is sealant spaying over my kit.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 01:05 PM
  #5470  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 21,983

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9777 Post(s)
Liked 3,326 Times in 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
Fun fact: Manlius, IL is the type of place in which you never want to find yourself.
That's just mean.
__________________
I wake up and say, "It's a new day!" I go to bed thinking, "What the heck happened?"






Trsnrtr is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 01:07 PM
  #5471  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,330

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20610 Post(s)
Liked 9,276 Times in 4,595 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
I’m TL curious, but my concern is sealant spaying over my kit.
Come on, now - you know my love of kit.

That happened once to Trsnrtr, but I have yet to experience more than some droplets on my calf. I would guess that it's one of those goldilocks situations - the puncture needs to be big enough to not seal immediately but small enough to have sufficient exit velocity and minimal spread, etc. It'd prolly have to be more or less dead center of the tread, too, to spray in the right direction, instead of off to the side.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 01:10 PM
  #5472  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 21,983

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9777 Post(s)
Liked 3,326 Times in 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Come on, now - you know my love of kit.

That happened once to Trsnrtr, but I have yet to experience more than some droplets on my calf. I would guess that it's one of those goldilocks situations - the puncture needs to be big enough to not seal immediately but small enough to have sufficient exit velocity and minimal spread, etc. It'd prolly have to be more or less dead center of the tread, too, to spray in the right direction, instead of off to the side.
I soaked the back of a pair of Assos bibs once with Orange Seal. After a few washings, it came out but i was worried for awhile.
__________________
I wake up and say, "It's a new day!" I go to bed thinking, "What the heck happened?"






Trsnrtr is offline  
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 09-05-22, 01:12 PM
  #5473  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 53,976

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11747 Post(s)
Liked 3,047 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
Fun fact: Manlius, IL is the type of place in which you never want to find yourself.
Last time I was there, like 20 years ago, they had a general store. Kind of a big deal for a town with fewer than 400 people.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 01:13 PM
  #5474  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,330

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20610 Post(s)
Liked 9,276 Times in 4,595 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
I soaked the back of a pair of Assos bibs once with Orange Seal. After a few washings, it came out but i was worried for awhile.
Oh, cool. I remembered that you were pretty upset, because you thought that the bibs were toast, but it's nice to hear that they eventually came clean.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 09-05-22, 01:15 PM
  #5475  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 53,976

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11747 Post(s)
Liked 3,047 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Just back from a bonus Labor Day ride. It was mostly good, with one minor exception:

One of the riders had a flat. That's no big deal, I don't get angry about flats, it's part of the deal. I usually try to be at peace with this and only really get annoyed if I am under a time crunch (which I wasn't). My general strategy when others flat is to ask if they know what they are doing, and if so, just stand back and bite my tongue if they have a minor screw-up....and only give suggestions if they are really messing it up.

So I sat back and found a shady spot. The guy with the flat is a very experienced rider, and I was hopeful this would be a 3 minute pit stop. It was not meant to be.

He got the tire off and popped in a new tube. I usually think it's best to run the inside of the tire to find/remove the culprit shard (unless this was a pinch flat). He did not do that. He got frustrated remounting the tire and had to use a tire lever (I bit my tongue about that too). Then he broke out his "new" C02 inflator. He screwed the cartridge on and then screwed the inflator onto his valve. He started messing with the device and after a couple of minutes he was not getting any airflow and decided to take the inflator off. He could not, it was stuck, so he took the cartridge off (BOOM!) and was able to extricate the inflator and borrowed someone else's. They inflated the tire and (of course) it did not hold any air. I finally spoke up and said "please let's run your tire for any shards and please put another tube on without using the tire lever," one of my friends who was closer to the action apparently ran the tire with no shard, and the rider was able to (with some frustration) install a borrowed tube, remount the tire without a lever, and get it inflated.

Total time: approx 20 minutes.

I really wish all cyclists who run tubes and want to use C02 would do a trial run in their garage so they know how to use it. I also wish they would know to inspect the inside of the flat for the cause, and to use the center channel of the rim to minimize need to remount tire with tire levers.

TL;DR datlas had a fun ride but was slightly annoyed by his fellow cyclist's amateur flat fix skilz.

#stillgrateful
#firstworldproblems
Cool story

__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.