Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do you all do to keep winter from ruining your bike?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

What do you all do to keep winter from ruining your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-22, 07:43 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
If I did winter cycling on roads covered with ice, snow, salt and sand I would just buy a Walmart bike and dispose of it the following spring.
Old 10-26-22, 11:46 AM
nosloedone

Bikes: Surly LHT, Fuji Nevada (winter beater)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride, Rinse, Wipe, Lube (repeat)
Old 10-27-22, 12:07 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
In no particular order:
- once the first snow and salt hits the streets, I hang up my steel bikes for the winter. (Learned that lesson the hard way.) Ride alloy or carbon frames only until the roads are clear and dry again.
- clean/lube chain often
- after cleaning, wipe down the frame with Pledge Wipes; this makes the next salt and grime less likely to stick, and/or at least easier to remove
- buy an apartment in the desert and ride throughout the winter with impunity, ignoring all the previous suggestions
Old 10-30-22, 01:18 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by tornado60
I'm from NE Ohio we get it all, ice, snow, salt. I'm wanting to keep riding more through the winter. I'm not a total winter novice but this would potentially put a lot more harmful salt and rust producing materials on my bike than I have in the past. I don't want winter ruining my bicycle. Any advice?
Either use your old less expensive hybrid or a cheaper version of what you've got lying around. You know N+1 with bikes, if you've made it this far you've upgraded and have older bikes likely still lying around, use those. You can get away with minimal maintenance as it's hard to hose it off outside when the temps are like 15 degrees at the cost of shortened drivetrain life but if you're not using your old beater bike much this can work. Alternatively use a single speed and do nothing, just wash it and oil the drivetrain once a year. On a single speed there isn't much going on to take care of anyhow which is why I take mine in the rain, run it hard and put away wet without a care in the world. Like I posted elsewhere doing exactly once a year maintenance in the spring the chain on my Salsa Stormchaser lasted 3k miles and the bottom bracket 3,500. If you calculate what I make per hour and all the maintenance I did not perform thanks to the single speed platform not really needing it then that bike saved me significant funds as time=money.
Old 12-20-22, 09:17 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Titanium.

Me to salt: “I fart in your general direction.”
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-22-22, 11:49 AM
GiAllen

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sometimes do take my bicycle out even when it's snowy