Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Left hand turns from busy multi-lane streets

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Left hand turns from busy multi-lane streets

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-23, 11:27 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked 6,475 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I see riders making a right on red without stopping, flipping a U-turn, and then another right to keep going straight. I consider that cheating.
I consider that "efficient."
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-23-23, 11:37 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
I used to love doing this during rush-hour in downtown Columbus. I was routinely able to keep up with motor traffic and often go faster yet. That might be why they let me get away with it. Still, I had my head on a swivel, checking my mirror and looking over my shoulder, and whenever I needed to change lanes I'd always signal prominently and make eye contact with the driver I was about to merge in front of. Also, I didn't take unfair advantage of being on a bike, such as threading between lines of cars, and I think they might have appreciated that too (it also removes the chance of collecting a door prize).

Another thing I've done a few times is, whenever I was first in line in the left-turn lane on a red light, I'd turn and wave the car behind me to pull up close so they were over the sensor and would trigger the left-turn arrow for us both.

Claiming the whole lane doesn't work everywhere in all cases, of course; I'm almost never able to do that in the exurb I now live in.
When did you leave?

Columbus has implemented a road diet to add bike lanes on a significant number of major routes downtown. To address the problems of making lefts from 3rd and rights from 4th (because the bike lane is the leftmost lane ) they painted two stage turn boxes where needed. It's a little box in front of the traffic heading in the direction of the risky turn, so you aren't forced to try and merge across 2 or more lanes of higher speed traffic to go the direction you want. I think the boxes are more for training cyclists to learn a new trick if they have car-brain.

For a left, you would stop at the front of traffic heading left of your direction of travel on your side of the intersection and wait for the light to change. For the OP's question, I don't see much of an issue with using this method when there is no turn box or bike lane, unless folks frequently fail to stop make a right turn on red where you are. I imagine in most scenarios a rider will wait in the crosswalk for the light to change in their desired direction of travel, no U turns needed.
Old 01-23-23, 11:40 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Nonsense. When you are on the right hand side of a busy road, you simply go onto the right side street and over to the far curb. At that point you can dismount and straighten the bike to make the crossing. Since you are either waiting for a light on the side street or waiting for a traffic gap in the main street, you'd have to stop anyway. This way of making the turn is recognized by every bike safety training program out there.
YEP! That sounds like a two stage turn!
Old 01-23-23, 11:45 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
GREEN- If I am riding in the road, I will move to my left as traffic allows and then get into the left turn lane. I do what vehicles do since I am using the road like a vehicle.

RED- If I am riding on a MUP/Trail, I will turn right and pull a U turn at the stop light. This is me transitioning from not being part of traffic to being part of traffic.

There is ZERO NEED to dangle in busy traffic. Sure it works with sparse traffic. Causing chaos to save 5 seconds?? I-am-a CAR?? LOL.
The U turn I only do if that street is the dead one. Usually I do it to go straight because of a long light or I'm getting stopped at every light downtown. I've heard that city council actually PLAN this to slow traffic. 30 years ago it was hot-rod parades on weekends.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 01-23-23 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-23-23, 11:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
GREEN- If I am riding in the road, I will move to my left as traffic allows and then get into the left turn lane. I do what vehicles do since I am using the road like a vehicle.

RED- If I am riding on a MUP/Trail, I will turn right and pull a U turn at the stop light. This is me transitioning from not being part of traffic to being part of traffic.

In that particular case, there really isn't a "good" option, looks like you had to pick the one that sucked less. Think I'd probably make the same choice just because it avoids the very awkward left turn from the right margin.
Old 01-23-23, 12:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
In that particular case, there really isn't a "good" option, looks like you had to pick the one that sucked less. Think I'd probably make the same choice just because it avoids the very awkward left turn from the right margin.
For sure- its just the reality of some rides where you mix road and MUP/trail. That picture is actually a route I used when I commuted to my old work. The road is 50mph I think, and I used the trail segment to for about 1mi to connect a side road to the road going north in the pic. As a result of using the path, I had to do a little U turn onto the side road. Made way more sense compared to riding a 2 lane 50mph heavily trafficked road.
The route that sucks less is a very good way to describe how some segments of a route/ride are.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-23-23, 12:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
There is ZERO NEED to dangle in busy traffic. Sure it works with sparse traffic. Causing chaos to save 5 seconds?? I-am-a CAR?? LOL.
The U turn I only do if that street is the dead one. Usually I do it to go straight because of a long light or I'm getting stopped at every light downtown. I've heard that city council actually PLAN this to slow traffic. 30 years ago it was hot-rod parades on weekends.
What now?
- Who is dangling in busy traffic?
- Who is causing chaos?
- Why is 5 seconds what you think is saved?...and how is that saved?

I have honestly no idea what you are ranting about, but you responded to my post and it appears you are getting pretty darn judgy, so do clarify.
In the specific screenshot I posted, I ride the MUP so I am not 'dangling' in busy traffic nor am I 'causing chaos' to save time.
With that said, in many other situations I do merge into the left turn lane. It isnt to save time though, I am not sure why you think its because of that. I also dont cause chaos because I am just sitting there taking up the same amount of space as a motorcycle. I cant imagine why a driver would pull up behind me sitting there and waiting in line to turn left and think 'this guy is causing chaos!'.

Maybe if I rode a 75# IGH boat that took multiple blocks to get up to speed, I would feel like I am causing chaos by simply sitting in a left turn lane and waiting my turn.
Old 01-23-23, 12:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

What now?
- Who is dangling in busy traffic?
- Who is causing chaos?
- Why is 5 seconds what you think is saved?...and how is that saved?

I have honestly no idea what you are ranting about, but you responded to my post and it appears you are getting pretty darn judgy, so do clarify.
In the specific screenshot I posted, I ride the MUP so I am not 'dangling' in busy traffic nor am I 'causing chaos' to save time.
With that said, in many other situations I do merge into the left turn lane. It isnt to save time though, I am not sure why you think its because of that. I also dont cause chaos because I am just sitting there taking up the same amount of space as a motorcycle. I cant imagine why a driver would pull up behind me sitting there and waiting in line to turn left and think 'this guy is causing chaos!'.

Maybe if I rode a 75# IGH boat that took multiple blocks to get up to speed, I would feel like I am causing chaos by simply sitting in a left turn lane and waiting my turn.

Honestly, his post was so incoherent, I couldn't quite get it, but I think he's claiming the green one is wrong and the u turn is wrong and something is right, but I have no idea what it is.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-23-23, 02:51 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 1,833 Posts
I hear UPS has drivers make multiple right turns to make left in many high-traffic regions because it is cheaper even to go around the block partway than to pay for the damage when people hit the big, brown truck which so "chaotically" rolling slowly across the road to make a left across a couple lanes of traffic. Apparently studies and simulations and tests and all that "science" stuff demonstrated that even if the trucks drove a few hundred extra yards, they saved time and trouble over trying to wait for gaps in traffic traveling in two (or more) directions.

I know i do that "p"-turn or whatever it is "officially" called whenever I am at a particular intersection when a lot of cars are also .... it is just over the crest of a curving hill, so if I am hanging out on the left side of the travel lane waiting for a break in oncoming traffic, I offer a (hopefully) pleasant surprise to cars who didn't see my riding up the hill ahead of them. I can only assume the drivers are pleased to suddenly see a bike in their paths ... I cannot see them until they are right on top of me, behind me, so I never have time to decipher their expressions ..... (though of course I can hear them coming ... )

I prefer to take the road o on the right (which turns to dirt and ends, so zero traffic) an U-turn, so while I still have to cross both sides of the road I can see traffic coming from the right (what would have been head-on) just as clearly,. and traffic from the right (which would have been behind me a lot better, and also, if a car coming fast crests the hill unexpectedly, I am not right in front of it, but on a side street.

Not sure where that leaves me "dangling in traffic" nor how I am causing "chaos," particularly compared to the chaos I would cause if some car came flying over the crest and hit me from behind as I waited to turn left ....

Whatever, though, really .... most of us probably have decades of road-riding experience and haven't died yet, so we cannot de doing Too badly ....
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-23-23, 03:32 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
incidentally, one of my first threads here was about getting pulled over (on my bike) for making a P turn without fully stopping. the officer said the u-turn was OK but the two rights on red required a complete stop.
Old 01-23-23, 06:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mschwett
incidentally, one of my first threads here was about getting pulled over (on my bike) for making a P turn without fully stopping. the officer said the u-turn was OK but the two rights on red required a complete stop.

So 2 rights made a wrong?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-23-23, 07:25 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 826 Posts
I've heard it called a "right-U-right".

I've seen it done mainly at signalized intersections where the cross street traffic isn't heavy and the rider's approach doesn't have effective detection of cyclists; i.e. the agency expects bicyclists to push a button, and/or the in-street detection isn't set to detect a bicycle. Since the rider either has to go all the way over and punch the button, wait for another vehicle to arrive to put in a detection call, wait for Godot, run the light entirely, or do the right-U-right, I can see how a rider could view the right-U-right maneuver as a least-worst option. When performing such a maneuver, the rider can just ride along the cross street until an opportunity for a U turn presents itself (which may or may not be legal depending on locations and laws), loop the U, ride back to the street they were on, turn right, and continue (or get caught by a red light at the intersection, possibly causing them to reconsider all their life choices).

If the cross street traffic is heavy, or has a raised median, this maneuver probably isn't going to be a popular choice.
Old 01-23-23, 07:28 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Originally Posted by livedarklions
So 2 rights made a wrong?
No, three rights make a left.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 01-23-23, 08:28 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 261 Posts
I probably perform this maneuver a couple of times each ride. You pick your spots, of course, and always stay alert to vehicles.
At busy intersections, it typically requires me to venture two hundred feet AWAY from said intersection, prior to making my U-turn.
And don't worry if you need to abort and end up riding five hundred feet away, while waiting for traffic to clear.
Anyway, my brother and I call it a schmee-mao-mo, especially when riding together.
Old 01-23-23, 09:28 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
When did you leave?

Columbus has implemented a road diet to add bike lanes on a significant number of major routes downtown. To address the problems of making lefts from 3rd and rights from 4th (because the bike lane is the leftmost lane ) they painted two stage turn boxes where needed. It's a little box in front of the traffic heading in the direction of the risky turn, so you aren't forced to try and merge across 2 or more lanes of higher speed traffic to go the direction you want. I think the boxes are more for training cyclists to learn a new trick if they have car-brain.

For a left, you would stop at the front of traffic heading left of your direction of travel on your side of the intersection and wait for the light to change. For the OP's question, I don't see much of an issue with using this method when there is no turn box or bike lane, unless folks frequently fail to stop make a right turn on red where you are. I imagine in most scenarios a rider will wait in the crosswalk for the light to change in their desired direction of travel, no U turns needed.
I had to quit cycling in 2000 due to hip problems. Can't recall when I moved (to Hilliard--uck). Haven't ridden in city traffic since.

Sounds like they just made everything harder to understand for everybody, cyclists and car drivers both. Is it working?
Old 01-24-23, 08:05 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by rollagain
I had to quit cycling in 2000 due to hip problems. Can't recall when I moved (to Hilliard--uck). Haven't ridden in city traffic since.

Sounds like they just made everything harder to understand for everybody, cyclists and car drivers both. Is it working?
Yeah, it's working. I see more commuters by bike every month. Most drivers are ready to share the road and give plenty of space when they eventually overtake. Most bike lanes are well-planned, though there are a few that don't seem to have much purpose at the moment other than maybe to bump up the number on the "how many miles of bike lanes does your city have". Broad St west of I-270 into New Rome and Roberts Road west from Wilson Rd are two examples; they don't really connect to a MUP, and the major cross streets are similar stroads.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 01-25-23, 09:30 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
YEP! That sounds like a two stage turn!
Coincidentally I just saw this discussed on the Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals list serve. I had forgotten the term but indeed it is a "two stage turn." For those who think this is not to be done, look it up.
Old 01-25-23, 10:39 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Coincidentally I just saw this discussed on the Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals list serve. I had forgotten the term but indeed it is a "two stage turn." For those who think this is not to be done, look it up.
As long as there's an understanding a two-stage turn (with or without the marked box and other devices) is different from a "right-U" maneuver (either with or without the subsequent right), then it's all good. Although the right-U achieves the same result as the TSTB, it has different interactions with traffic.

The two-stage turn box markings and signs are covered in Interim Approval IA-20, which can be seen at https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/res-interim_approvals.htm

Last edited by RCMoeur; 01-25-23 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-25-23, 11:09 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,496 Posts
over thinking direction change.

go thru the intersection at Right curb side then stop at the perpendicular curb,lift bike 90*,wait for the signal to change then ride.no 2 rights-no blocking traffic-no Uturns.just yield to pedestrians.
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 01-25-23, 01:33 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I thought there was a Dutch term for that but I guess I'm mistaken because could not find it in a google search.

For me it would depend on the street I'm on.

A major six lane street (eight if you count the left turn lanes) used to have me riding through the intersection, entering the gas station and coming out from the other exit. Nowadays (because it's winter and I'm riding my slow bike), I'm on the sidewalk, I check for right turning cars, I make a right turn into the side street and then signal and make a quick U-turn without entering that gas station.

Downtown, I have the choice to either stop my bike, get off and cross left at the crosswalk right in front of me or ride straight and cross left.
Old 01-25-23, 02:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,632 Times in 2,918 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
There's one intersection where I routinely do that when I'm the only one at the red light... it lets me continue on my way without stopping the flow of traffic on the busier street.
...But I do slow or stop as appropriate before making that right.
Then there are the left lane signals which require more than a bike to trip the element to change the light. I even try leaning the bike down and over the lines and still no love. So I sit/stand there as the cars go round-robin over and over, with still no car behind me to trip the sensor. So…. instead of trying to cross back over the two lanes to my right, I do the illegal and take the turn when the oncoming lanes are clear. Not proud but am not going to stand there through who knows how many light cycles.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-25-23, 03:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rsbob
Then there are the left lane signals which require more than a bike to trip the element to change the light. I even try leaning the bike down and over the lines and still no love. So I sit/stand there as the cars go round-robin over and over, with still no car behind me to trip the sensor. So…. instead of trying to cross back over the two lanes to my right, I do the illegal and take the turn when the oncoming lanes are clear. Not proud but am not going to stand there through who knows how many light cycles.
I've got a couple lights where that happens. It's really funny that the light trigger forces you to break the law or wait forever. Not haha funny.
Old 01-25-23, 03:13 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
They made that legal here (Colorado) last year.
Old 01-25-23, 04:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10419 Post(s)
Liked 11,880 Times in 6,086 Posts
Not sure what the law is where you are - or where I am, frankly! - but I think this falls under the "malfunctioning traffic light" rules which would allow you to proceed after maybe 2 cycles.

There's a left turn near the end of my Sunday long ride route where the inductor loop never picks me up, even on steel. I've taken to waiting until it's clear, then riding in the crosswalks till I've accomplished the left turn. It accomplishes the same thing, and if the city isn't going to make their lights work right for cyclists, well, tough beans.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-25-23, 05:59 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 1,833 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Not sure what the law is where you are - or where I am, frankly! - but I think this falls under the "malfunctioning traffic light" rules which would allow you to proceed after maybe 2 cycles.
Unless the light never cycles, and stays green for the more trafficked road until something triggers the other light ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.