Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Post your utility bike thread

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Post your utility bike thread

Old 09-14-13, 04:30 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts

My daughter said she wanted a ride... I deliver.

Old 09-16-13, 11:14 AM
Sandy Barringer

Bikes: 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldfool
Here is my dedicated grocery getter a 1976 Schwinn. This bike started out to be a restoration project but after I cleaned it up and rode it a few times I realized that this was really a sweet bike and suitable for an old man. The rack is made from a discarded skate board trimmed to fit. The stay for it is the seat stay from a frame I had taken other parts from for another project. Strong, wide and flat it makes a good seat for a passenger or to tie down a case of beer. The half-buckets are held on by industrial zip ties. I had planned to do something more sophisticated but zip ties are so cheap and quick I have continued to use them. Since the bicycle is used for cargo I leave the buckets installed. I can get more in them than I really want to carry. The front bucket is a Bell off the shelf item easily detached and really convenient with a carrying handle.
The original running gear has all been replaced with heavier stuff. The original wheels were light weight 1 3/8's replaced with 1.95's on steel wheels. The original gearing was a 10 speed but is now a 15 speed. The crank set is a 3 piece and has 3 chain rings (28-38-48) and the rear is 14 through 28. I don't have any hills here (unless you count the bridges) so you'd think I wouldn't need that kind of gearing but there are no bike paths, side walks or smooth shoulders either. Sometimes I need the gearing to get through the tall grass, gravel and in and out of pot holes. I retained the stem shifting levers for the chain ring shifting (nostalgia) and have an index shifter for the rear. Mostly I stay on the center ring (38t).
The brakes have been replaced with heavier duty rim brakes and would be inadequate for hilly country but that is not here.
The bike is stable and rock solid empty or under load. It weighs 45lbs.
I haven't needed more capacity yet but I think I will add an extension like the extracycle only home made. I'll post pictures when I do.
It ain't real pretty but it works and I have become emotionally involved. I get offended when it is insulted. Maybe I need professional psychiatric help.
Reply: That's a really neat set-up. Someone criticized the bike? Must be jealousy or a roadie dumb-a**.
Old 10-06-13, 08:16 PM
FOXYFOX29er
Boss

Bikes: 2013 Surly Karate Monkey, GT Timberline, Steve Bauer Chinhook, 90s Haro (not sure) ridgid MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made this from an aluminum mountain bike, new paint, fenders, rack with a milk crate, locking grips (i know not necessary and i might change them to slip on and bar ends from the GT timberline), microshift shifters.d today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2013-10-06 15.19.54.jpg (99.6 KB, 454 views)
Old 10-07-13, 08:43 AM
Sandy Barringer

Bikes: 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FOXYFOX29er
I made this from an aluminum mountain bike, new paint, fenders, rack with a milk crate, locking grips (i know not necessary and i might change them to slip on and bar ends from the GT timberline), microshift shifters.d today
Reply: Really nice work!
Old 10-27-13, 10:15 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pictures from helping my friend with a bike move today!

Attached Images
NCM_0072.jpg (102.9 KB, 441 views)
NCM_0073.jpg (101.5 KB, 442 views)
Old 12-07-13, 11:00 PM
Radials983

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Trek 850 Xtracycle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This is my 94' Trek xtracycle daily rider. A more recent build to me, I decided to take it up the Scenic McKenzie Pass in Oregon to see how it would fair on the climb. I was only carrying extra warm clothing and some PB&J's, but the bike did better than I expected. The road at this time of year is closed to motorists, and on this particular day was so beautifully foggy. Right now I am running studs with some back end ballast, and the bike is doing great in the snow.
Attached Images
IMG_7020.jpg (99.6 KB, 426 views)
IMG_7007.jpg (101.0 KB, 451 views)

Last edited by Radials983; 12-08-13 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Fixed broken photo links
Likes For Radials983:
Old 12-07-13, 11:27 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Radials983
This is my 94' Trek xtracycle daily rider. A more recent build to me, I decided to take it up the Scenic McKenzie Pass in Oregon to see how it would fair on the climb. I was only carrying extra warm clothing and some PB&J's, but the bike did better than I expected. The road at this time of year is closed to motorists, and on this particular day was so beautifully foggy. Right now I am running studs with some back end ballast, and the bike is doing great in the snow.
Bad links.. Please fix I and others would like to see..
Old 01-12-14, 03:00 PM
scroungetech

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This is my 2013 Surly Troll, just in from a breezy ride, temps around 40 F. Dialing in new handlebar set up today, and really digging on some chemical toe warmer packs. I've been chomping at the bit to get out and ride, but the recent sub zero cold snap was a little chillier than I felt like dealing with. Happy to finally get a nicer day to ride.
Attached Images
Troll_Side_scroungetech.jpg (102.9 KB, 456 views)
Troll_Front_scroungetech.jpg (103.0 KB, 403 views)
Troll_Rear_scroungetech.jpg (105.2 KB, 401 views)
Likes For scroungetech:
Old 01-14-14, 04:43 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
First post here and a new project. I just got the frame and it should be built in the next few weeks.

Old 01-14-14, 04:49 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
First post here and a new project. I just got the frame and it should be built in the next few weeks.

Suhweet.

From my errands the other day... winter #6 for Stretch.

Old 01-23-14, 08:11 AM
Radials983

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Trek 850 Xtracycle

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cynikal

Whoa! Who made this frame?
Old 01-23-14, 10:08 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Radials983
Whoa! Who made this frame?
It's built by Cycletrucks here in the Sacramento area. It's also build to come apart between the steertube and the cross tubes. Parts are on order to get this built and I need to build a seat for my kids. Give me a couple of weeks and I'll post more photos.
Old 01-27-14, 09:09 AM
troysmith80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THose are cool bikes. Lots of pictures of them on facebook, search for cycle trucks on FB.
Old 02-17-14, 01:47 PM
NoBrakeNate

Bikes: Disc Trucker, Big Dummy, 74 Le Tour, Stumpy FSR 29, Tall Bike, Foundry Broadaxe, Burley tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just finished a bike tray for the Big Dummy.
Old 02-19-14, 11:35 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by oldfool
Here is my dedicated grocery getter a 1976 Schwinn. This bike started out to be a restoration project but after I cleaned it up and rode it a few times I realized that this was really a sweet bike and suitable for an old man. The rack is made from a discarded skate board trimmed to fit. The stay for it is the seat stay from a frame I had taken other parts from for another project. Strong, wide and flat it makes a good seat for a passenger or to tie down a case of beer. The half-buckets are held on by industrial zip ties. I had planned to do something more sophisticated but zip ties are so cheap and quick I have continued to use them. Since the bicycle is used for cargo I leave the buckets installed. I can get more in them than I really want to carry. The front bucket is a Bell off the shelf item easily detached and really convenient with a carrying handle.
The original running gear has all been replaced with heavier stuff. The original wheels were light weight 1 3/8's replaced with 1.95's on steel wheels. The original gearing was a 10 speed but is now a 15 speed. The crank set is a 3 piece and has 3 chain rings (28-38-48) and the rear is 14 through 28. I don't have any hills here (unless you count the bridges) so you'd think I wouldn't need that kind of gearing but there are no bike paths, side walks or smooth shoulders either. Sometimes I need the gearing to get through the tall grass, gravel and in and out of pot holes. I retained the stem shifting levers for the chain ring shifting (nostalgia) and have an index shifter for the rear. Mostly I stay on the center ring (38t).
The brakes have been replaced with heavier duty rim brakes and would be inadequate for hilly country but that is not here.
The bike is stable and rock solid empty or under load. It weighs 45lbs.
I haven't needed more capacity yet but I think I will add an extension like the extracycle only home made. I'll post pictures when I do.
It ain't real pretty but it works and I have become emotionally involved. I get offended when it is insulted. Maybe I need professional psychiatric help.
Very Nice Bike and you gave me some good ideas.
Old 02-19-14, 11:36 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Very nice bike
Old 02-28-14, 10:48 AM
vaultbrad

Bikes: They have two wheels!

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Did some work yesterday and put my xtracycle back to work, but this time on a frame that fits me. I really love the way this thing rides. It makes for a great commuter, errand runner, townie, etc.
Old 03-02-14, 10:45 AM
rdlange

Bikes: '76 Peugeot Mixte UE-18, Bridgestone 'Submariner' picklefork mixte, Bridgestone KABUKI picklefork mixte, TREK MT220

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts
Sold the Royce Union. My 'new' grocery/shopping ride. You can tell I don't have alot invested,in it yet, but it's lighter and a lower step thru. Been in storage awhile. Did a cat food run yesterday. Nobody tried to steal it. Found a gratitude rock.
Attached Images
DSCN2747.jpg (100.4 KB, 1100 views)

Last edited by rdlange; 03-02-14 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-11-14, 03:25 PM
canascrews

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Halsted at the beach today .

I should have taken a photo yesterday when it was stacked up nose high with groceries .
Attached Images
DSC01118.jpg (100.7 KB, 421 views)
Old 03-19-14, 11:10 PM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a Christmas present to myself, I purchased a Wald Giant Delivery Basket. This thing carries quite a payload.

Old 03-20-14, 10:59 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by kookaburra1701
As a Christmas present to myself, I purchased a Wald Giant Delivery Basket. This thing carries quite a payload.

Did you add that latteral piece of pipe (3/4 emt, I'm guessing), at the front , bottom, as a reinforcement?

or is it just to hold the headlight?

Last edited by hotbike; 03-20-14 at 11:00 AM. Reason: second guessing
Old 03-20-14, 12:47 PM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to hold the headlight. I don't even use it for that anymore, as I got a Cateye Volt 300 to mount on my helmet. I love it so much, I'll probably never go back to having my front light mounted on my bike.
ETA: I have no idea what the pipe is made of. It was the plunger to hold my Cat Tree against the ceiling, but it was too long. (I replaced it with a shorter section of scavenged pipe.) It was, however, just the right size to keep my lights secure on the front of my basket.

Last edited by kookaburra1701; 03-20-14 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-22-14, 09:21 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wife and son on our Taga. My Bullitt Superfly is coming next week.

Old 03-31-14, 12:36 PM
accordionfolder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My sturdy and ever-reliable Trek-1000. Used as commuter, dog tow-er, and grocery getter. Need to get a set of fenders and front rack for it. I just converted it to disc (San Francisco hills while towing are a bit sketchy!) and built my first wheel! It was pretty easy actually.

Old 04-01-14, 02:24 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loaded with groceries and a kiddie picnic table we junked on the way home from the store.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.