Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 06-14-20, 09:13 PM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
The latest update has been posted. Bikes up to 460 have experienced a slight delay in delivery due to a parts issue. New delivery dates for backer and pre-ordered bikes have been revised.
Those wanting refunds can do so by contacting Helix. I, for one, plan on waiting until my pre-order is delivered sometime in the spring/summer of 2021.
Likes For Batstar:
Old 06-19-20, 09:48 PM
MrFlamey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Batstar
The latest update has been posted. Bikes up to 460 have experienced a slight delay in delivery due to a parts issue. New delivery dates for backer and pre-ordered bikes have been revised.
Those wanting refunds can do so by contacting Helix. I, for one, plan on waiting until my pre-order is delivered sometime in the spring/summer of 2021.
I just read the post. Although it's not fantastic news, a seemingly realistic shipping date is refreshing, and now I feel like I can just concentrate on the bike I have instead of expecting the potential arrival of the Helix this year. It's also great for Helix to offer refunds to backers too, meaning that some of their manufacturing will be freed up for those later on in the waiting list, such as us preorder customers. Hopefully the fenders will be available by next year, and any other manufacturing improvements and resolved issues will help make our bikes a tiny weeny bit better.

I'm also going to wait for my Helix. I'm going to be at least 40 by the time the damn thing arrives, but I'm still looking forward to its eventual delivery. I wish I'd done the same as GibsonSean and bought out an early backer though! Lucky SOB
Old 06-19-20, 09:54 PM
MrFlamey

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wonder what made Helix offer the refund to backers. Maybe they received government assistance related to covid (even thought they didn't shut down) or perhaps they realised that backers selling their orders makes some bikes available way more cheaply, thus damaging direct sales at a much higher price. I also wonder how many people will take the refund given how much time has passed and how some people might find it very useful to have another 1500+ dollars available now covid has affected the economy so badly.
Old 06-20-20, 03:01 AM
AvnerBen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Realistic dates

My two bikes have been rescheduled. The backed one (in the 1100's) for February and the preordered one (in the 1300's) in May. This is indeed realistic, considering the current rate of 75 per month.
however, 75 is considerably less than the forecasted 200. A usual, they are progressing very cautiously.
Old 06-20-20, 03:11 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFlamey
I wonder what made Helix offer the refund to backers.
The most obvious reason is that for any reason they have enough money to survive and that manufacturing one Helix cost more than what the backers paid, i.e. they loose money on every backers Helix manufactured.
Old 06-20-20, 09:13 AM
pbutcher2000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think that they are motivated for people to cancel so that they can sell bikes at retail pricing and hence collect more cash. I myself have cancelled my order just based on the overall lack of updates from Helix. I wish them every success in the future and will purchase a bike when the backlog is removed.
Old 06-21-20, 05:51 AM
MrFlamey

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know how long the Helix manual has been available on the Helix customer portal, but I just found it. Since people frequently mention the helical hinges wearing out due to dirt getting in etc. I'll post the section about how they are designed to be maintenance free:

HELICAL HINGES
DO NOT LUBRICATE - The helical hinges are designed for use in dirty environments and do not require lubrication. Road oils and grease will not affect their performance.
FORK AND STEERER LOCKING DEVICES
DO NOT LUBRICATE - The fork and steerer locks are designed to never need adjustment and require no lubrication for the lifetime of their use. Road oils and grease will not affect their performance.
It will be interesting to see if this is true.
Old 07-02-20, 10:38 PM
RatonLaveur

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Given the location of the rear hinge, road oil and grease are hardly the part that's worrisome. Road grit and dirt is. Is that included under "dirty environments"?
Old 07-10-20, 10:38 AM
MEANDMEECH

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mounting a trailer

Has anyone had experience mouthing a trailer to the bike. If so how is it done?
Old 07-10-20, 12:04 PM
drade

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alternative for helix?

As it's taking forever for the helix to get on the market, especially if you have been keeping touch from the Kickstarter campaign, has anyone found a decent alternative? One that has a higher rider weight limit than dahons, terns and all the other mainstream brands?
Old 07-11-20, 07:00 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
You might look into Bike Friday. They are custom built to you needs and size. They have an 800 number you can call. Roger
Old 07-11-20, 12:12 PM
Jipe

What rider weight would you need ?
Old 07-12-20, 07:52 AM
drade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
You might look into Bike Friday. They are custom built to you needs and size. They have an 800 number you can call. Roger
I live in Europe and they are not available. Also the price of a bike Friday including delivery and possible import charges is too expensive for me.

Originally Posted by Jipe
What rider weight would you need ?
115-120 kg
Old 07-12-20, 08:53 AM
ladi

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by drade
I live in Europe and they are not available. Also the price of a bike Friday including delivery and possible import charges is too expensive for me.
If you're lucky you might get a used one cheaper. (At least here in Germany and in UK there are some on offer.)

But if price is an issue that will probably also exclude the Helix and many other "more stable" alternatives that come to mind. (Bernds, Moulton, Montague Paratrooper, Airnimal)
Old 07-12-20, 10:34 AM
drade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ladi
If you're lucky you might get a used one cheaper. (At least here in Germany and in UK there are some on offer.)

But if price is an issue that will probably also exclude the Helix and many other "more stable" alternatives that come to mind. (Bernds, Moulton, Montague Paratrooper, Airnimal)
So basically a stable folding bike needs a budget well over 1500€;

Montagues are stable and there are affordable choices but their wheels are too big and their fold is cumbersome.

Last edited by drade; 07-12-20 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-12-20, 12:43 PM
Jipe

115-120 kg
Tyrell Ive is specified for max 130kg.

For other bikes, you could check were the weight limit comes from.

If it comes from the wheels, you can make custom wheels for a higher max weight.
Old 07-23-20, 03:12 AM
RatonLaveur

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Next bike order bid is end of August, anyone knows if they already filled their orders for July or if they pushed the milestone?
Old 07-25-20, 06:50 AM
AvnerBen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RatonLaveur
Next bike order bid is end of August, anyone knows if they already filled their orders for July or if they pushed the milestone?
This July bid ended much faster them its predecessors - less than a day. So I guess they sold them all. They stopped writing the number of bikes offered (it used to be 10 pieces at the first bids).
Still no new progress report (last one was on 14th of June!)
Old 07-25-20, 02:51 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
115-120 kg
If you look on various national distributor and dealers' websites you might see all manner of max rider weights listed, along with humorously fictional component listings. Oh, Dahon. Sigh.

Anyway, the US distributor (he who can't be named) confirmed with the factory that the max rider weight for the Dahon Curl is in fact:

(If you're reading this on your phone, that's 130kg.)
Likes For tcs:
Old 07-30-20, 07:27 PM
Batstar

The latest update is out. Not much to report other than bike 400 was shipped and welding of bike frame components 400-500 completed.Welding of the next 100 bikes will commence next week. Images were posted of a Helix sporting the optional upgrade kit.

Work is still proceeding despite recent challenges. The team is doing well and committed to getting bikes out.
Old 07-31-20, 07:51 AM
HelixBacker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strange. It got deleted last night for some reason.

Hi by the way! I've read the forum quite a lot over the years (lol) waiting for the Helix.
I'm backer number 1308 with delivery due in May to the UK.

Last edited by HelixBacker; 07-31-20 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-31-20, 09:26 AM
Batstar

Originally Posted by HelixBacker
Strange. It got deleted last night for some reason.

Hi by the way! I've read the forum quite a lot over the years (lol) waiting for the Helix.
I'm backer number 1308 with delivery due in May to the UK.
Welcome. I did notice a typo with regards to the date in Peter's latest announcement but not sure if it prompted removal of the update. Did you pre-order your Helix? Your delivery date is more or less in line with my pre-order (#1212) of March 2021. Kickstarter bikes are slated for delivery 6 months prior.
Old 07-31-20, 09:43 AM
HelixBacker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Batstar
Welcome. I did notice a typo with regards to the date in Peter's latest announcement but not sure if it prompted removal of the update. Did you pre-order your Helix? Your delivery date is more or less in line with my pre-order (#1212) of March 2021. Kickstarter bikes are slated for delivery 6 months prior.
Well I'll be! You're quite right. I'm actually a pre-order customer, having placed it in June 2016. I totally forgot that I missed the campaign.
Like you, I also thought it could have been the typo but why not just correct it (or leave it). Also, though easily deduced, I thought it strange that the images were plonked there with not explanation.
Old 07-31-20, 11:13 AM
Batstar

I'm thinking that the update is being revised to account for any other anomalies that might have gone unnoticed. As you pointed out, a more detailed explanation of the teaser images. Hope that it will be back up before long.
Old 08-01-20, 03:09 AM
AvnerBen

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Latest Update

The numbers above seem to relate to the wrong update. Latest update quotes bicycle 475 delivered, with 500-600 awaiting assembly.
the ultralight conversion is available.
The forum is now open also for pre-orderers.
Likes For AvnerBen:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.