Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My LBS won't sell me spokes??.....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My LBS won't sell me spokes??.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-22, 03:27 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
About 20 years ago, I went to my LBS, a very busy place, to see if they had a single seat stay clamp for a Blackburn rear rack. There were plenty of customers waiting while the owner looked through his parts bins to find one for me. After paying a measly $2.00, I walked out of the store happy they had it but felt like a jerk for wasting this guys time with my petty little request.
Old 08-14-22, 06:03 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
About 20 years ago, I went to my LBS, a very busy place, to see if they had a single seat stay clamp for a Blackburn rear rack. There were plenty of customers waiting while the owner looked through his parts bins to find one for me. After paying a measly $2.00, I walked out of the store happy they had it but felt like a jerk for wasting this guys time with my petty little request.
It's just a little thing but I'm sure they can appreciate how one small part makes or breaks a project.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 08-14-22, 06:18 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
I'm wondering why they changed their sales policy on spokes after selling them so many years with seeminly no problems ( unless we don't know about them)
I am thinking it is a National trend that customer service does not pay as well as it once did. I see it in other subtle areas, just help a good do-it-yourself lady with a plumbing problem and she had no info on the valves left by her plumber who historically would be left and she filed away for her to change the seals/o-rings. He now could get a $100 call back.
Old 08-14-22, 11:25 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Things get weirder when the spokes are proprietary.

A few years back, I was out for a ride one morning when I heard a snap and a zing, followed by a complete loss of power. My chain had snapped and had broken straight through one of the spokes on my Campy Neutron rear wheel.

Thought it would be simple to buy one spoke for the system. Nope. Proprietary spoke and screw, there was no aftermarket equivalent.
+1

Same with Ksyriums, straight pull bladed. Very high tension. Proprietary nipples. Supplied plastic spoke wrench is useless. Metal wrench cracked the nipples. No access to the nipples from the rim.

1 spoke, 1 nipple was $18.50. Before 1/2 the nipples disintegrated.

Found a used wheel, owner is using it to display greeting cards. Offered to replace with mine and pay decent money. Declined, said she has offers all the time.

The market has already realized this. Spoke sets, with nipples, used, rival a rear wheel cost when available.

More than one shop has told me “wheels are disposable now.”

I suck at lacing. BF members have laced my last few sets. Reliability has moved there.
Old 08-14-22, 11:58 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
I like these guys https://www.wheelbuildingparts.com/

Old 08-14-22, 12:35 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Just throwing it out there, but I bought spokes from Bmxguru for a recent build. He seems to be about the cheapest for cut-to-size orders online. Sapim db, no problems.
Old 08-14-22, 01:09 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Beefy is good. Anyone who can tell the difference between a 1.8 wheel and a 2.0 wheel must be something special. The difference between brands of tires' weights is just way bigger and can actually be felt. I.mean, people slap on 25mm or 28mm tires without a care and someone worries about 2.0 spokes?

Might just be me, but, seriously ...
The benefit of butted spokes is not due to weight reduction. It’s the stretch in the thinner portion so there’s much less stress on the spoke elbow (where most spoke failures occur) and the hub flange.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 08-14-22, 01:15 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
Been there done that. Gave up on one LBS years ago. Can’t buy spokes or nipples for emergency repair. They don’t want to work on older bikes. Always pushing new bike purchase.
Old 08-14-22, 09:14 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
This thread has me considering $0.38 spokes. Tell me they work as well as mid 80s straight gauge spokes used on standard 105 or 600 with Wolber or Araya wheel sets.
Old 08-14-22, 09:37 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
This thread has me considering $0.38 spokes. Tell me they work as well as mid 80s straight gauge spokes used on standard 105 or 600 with Wolber or Araya wheel sets.
if you're referring to the link i posted earlier they absolutely will. I used them on a set of 48h wheels for a BMX build. The wheels originally had 180mm black spokes with 12mm silver nipples, the wheels were covered in spray paint with many rusty and/or broken spokes. I ordered a 100ct of DT Swiss black brass nipples from Amazon for pretty cheap. Other places had cheaper spokes but the shipping was a lot more.

Got the initial lacing done:

Still need to repack the hubs and tension and true the wheels.
Old 08-14-22, 09:56 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
I'm in SF and have a spoke cutter, so if you get spokes I might be able to help you cut them. When I was in a shop we hated special spoke orders. At the time spokes came in boxes of 100. If you use the same spokes a lot that's great, but if not say someone wants 2x 32, 2x 36, etc. then you get stuck with all the extras, or you have to charge extra for a bunch of spares the customer doesn't want.

One major caveat, I no longer have the spacers, so either you need to have the same gage spokes as what I last cut (IDK), or we need to find someone on this forum with a set they can measure so I can make a set. That or I need to find another shop with a spoke cutter who is willing to let me measure theirs.

I was in AC a few weeks ago and despite having a bad morning (someone had shattered their large front window and stolen a bike the night before) they were very helpful. I did get the impression that they're trying to lean towards whatever might be better paying work given staffing and supply chain issues. The owner was very willing to let me demo anything in the store, but for whatever reason *really* didn't want to order in anything special, even if I was willing to pay in advance. After some hesitation he took my name/number and promised to follow up with availability (a pair of shoes they didn't have in stock) and never did. I got a few accessories I needed to restock on to try to make my visit worth his time, but I'm not sure it did with SF rents.

All that said, while selling customers things they want to buy seems to be essential for a business to stay as one, I can see where the shipping trouble and time to do the math and cut spokes might be a net loss to the shop unless they can recoup some of that labor with a wheel build.
Old 08-15-22, 01:23 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
All that said, while selling customers things they want to buy seems to be essential for a business to stay as one, I can see where the shipping trouble and time to do the math and cut spokes might be a net loss to the shop unless they can recoup some of that labor with a wheel build.
Wheel building has become more difficult due to today's twistier bladed and thinner spokes, not to mention carbon rims that impose a lot of friction at the nipple/rim interface.
I say you have to charge more, even with lower spoke counts. Building with yesterday's straight 14Ga and 15Ga spokes was so much easier, as was achieving tensions above 90kg.

Oh and about modern wheels being disposable...
Weird story (that I don't really expect anyone to believe):
About 2-1/2 years ago, I found a near-new pair of ~2014 Fulcrum Zero "2-Way-Fit" wheels in a shop's dumpster. Had an old service tag stapled to it and the pair was connected together with a zip-tie. This was equivalent to Campagnolo's top alloy wheel offering with their triplet-laced aluminum spokes. Only thing wrong was one broken rear spoke. Not easily sourced as a single aluminum spoke assembly, but I did finally find an online shop in Germany who sold me the needed spoke plus one spare spoke for each of two or three positions/lengths, plus a special tool, all for about $55 shipped. The wheelset is fixed, perfect, and is only un-detectably used since the sidewall machining pattern is still 100% extant.
Please don't ask me what shop it was.

EDIT:
Guessing...
I'm thinking that since the shop's manager was unsure if the extraspensive spokes and rim both needed to be purchased (and labor charged), that it may have seemed practical to sell the customer a (possibly upgraded) new wheelset and simply set the damaged wheels aside (until they later became further dated with their mere i15mm rim width).

Last edited by dddd; 08-15-22 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-15-22, 01:29 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by CVT
Did you use to build the wheels yourself or buy the spokes from them and have them build the wheel for you? there is many sellers online that sell custom lenth spokes. I had to order few times when I couldn't find spokes locally.
There is shortage going on for many parts and products not only in the bikes industry, probably the local bike shop wants to keep the spokes for customers who are willing to pay for labor cost to build the wheel, since they can't make profit by just selling spokes without service fee.
I always bought my spokes from two brick and mortar shops that I was glad to support. American Cyclery in SF or from Tony Tom at Odyssey Bicycles in Sausalito to build up my wheelsets as they are very receptive to C&Vers. Tony's gone now and American Cyclery is not selling spokes.....
I'm going to look for othe brick and mortar bike shops to get them now. Otherwise, I won't have a choice but buy through the internet......
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 08-15-22, 01:32 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
I always bought my spokes from two brick and mortar shops that I was glad to support. American Cyclery in SF or from Tony Tom at Odyssey Bicycles in Sausalito to build up my wheelsets as they are very receptive to C&Vers. Tony's gone now and American Cyclery is not selling spokes.....
I'm going to look for othe brick and mortar bike shops to get them now. Otherwise, I won't have a choice but buy through the internet......
you are going to have to do your own spoke length calc's.
Maybe a bike Co-op ? I thought there were one or two in East Bay.
Old 08-15-22, 02:38 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
The shop near me that I've found has the best mechanics as far as I can tell doesn't sell parts. They only display bikes and a small amount of clothing. Maybe a few water bottles and nutrition items by the register. Every time I've dealt with them, I've brought my own parts in with a specific request and they've done it quickly and competently. I think more shops seem to be going to that model because that's where they can make money. This is a shop that was an authorized dealer of one specific brand and because of that relationship was able to keep mtbs (not really road bikes though) in stock all throughout the pandemic.
Old 08-15-22, 02:39 PM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 536 Times in 284 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
The benefit of butted spokes is not due to weight reduction. It’s the stretch in the thinner portion so there’s much less stress on the spoke elbow (where most spoke failures occur) and the hub flange.
Fascinating! In the last 45 years or so I've never broken a straight gauge spoke (or a hub) of any diameter. I have a set of straight 15's (like almost everything that I build) on DA hubs that I built in '85 or so, have thousands of miles on them and they have yet needed to be even re-trued. And they'll go right back on the re-hab'd Caylor when it is done. Not sure about all the other wheel sets that I've built over the years but I never had anyone want me to fix any of them or had any probs with the ones I still have and use.
I admit that I avoid potholes and logs in the road tho.

Last edited by Steel Charlie; 08-15-22 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-15-22, 03:45 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Chombi1 : You probably already have a favorite but this calculator has worked well for me in a number of situations - especially the "enter the manual specs" for the hub and rim when you have a weird old wheel you want to build....

https://spokecalculator.qbp.com/spokecalculator/
Old 08-15-22, 04:35 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
In the last 45 years or so I've never broken a straight gauge spoke (or a hub) of any diameter..
Newb.
I'm not sure you can even call yourself a cyclist if you've never broken a spoke.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 08-15-22, 07:56 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by bamboobike4
+1

Same with Ksyriums, straight pull bladed. Very high tension. Proprietary nipples. Supplied plastic spoke wrench is useless. Metal wrench cracked the nipples. No access to the nipples from the rim.

1 spoke, 1 nipple was $18.50. Before 1/2 the nipples disintegrated.

Found a used wheel, owner is using it to display greeting cards. Offered to replace with mine and pay decent money. Declined, said she has offers all the time.

The market has already realized this. Spoke sets, with nipples, used, rival a rear wheel cost when available.

More than one shop has told me “wheels are disposable now.”

I suck at lacing. BF members have laced my last few sets. Reliability has moved there.
Marketing by engineering, create a disposable assembly. Expand the replacement market.
There will be a backlash.
Old 08-16-22, 12:18 PM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 536 Times in 284 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Newb.
I'm not sure you can even call yourself a cyclist if you've never broken a spoke.
I was referring to wheels that I had built. I did break a spoke in an OEM wheel on my first dualie tho. Does that count?
Old 08-16-22, 12:58 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Beefy is good. Anyone who can tell the difference between a 1.8 wheel and a 2.0 wheel must be something special. The difference between brands of tires' weights is just way bigger and can actually be felt. I.mean, people slap on 25mm or 28mm tires without a care and someone worries about 2.0 spokes?

Might just be me, but, seriously ...
You are making an improper comparison. “Beefy” spokes, especially with large riders and/or heavy loads, isn’t about feeling any kind of difference while riding. It’s about durability of the spokes and the wheel. Frankly, 2.0mm spokes aren’t “beefy”. 2.3mm spokes make for much stronger wheels than using 2.0mm spokes. I’ve used them exclusively since the early 2000s. Where once broken spokes were a frequent occurrence, they are now nonexistent. This article explains why they are so much better for wheel durability. I find that the increase in strength is equal to about a 4 spoke increase in spoke count. In other words, a 32 spoke wheel built with 2.3/1.8/2.0mm triple butted spokes is about as strong as a 36 spoke wheel with 2.0mm spokes.

In the field, I have 36 spoke wheels on a touring bike carrying me and a touring load (probably over 300 lb) and haven’t broken a spoke in over 10,000 miles of loaded touring. I have similar wheels on my bikepacking bike that see far worse conditions with only a slightly smaller load that are equally trouble free.

As to the original post, I generally don’t buy spokes from shops anymore because most shops aren’t interested in providing parts for wheel building. Rose Bikes in Germany is one of the cheapest places around to buy DT Alpine III spokes…much less than wholesale here in the US…even with shipping.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-16-22, 01:05 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,796 Times in 2,282 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
In the field, I have 36 spoke wheels on a touring bike carrying me and a touring load (probably over 300 lb) and haven’t broken a spoke in over 10,000 miles of loaded touring.
10k of loaded touring, that's living the life!