Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Am I a ******bag on my bike sometimes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Am I a ******bag on my bike sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-22, 03:04 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
My one piece of advice: Make sure you define "pulling it off" as passing them and then staying well in front of them for the rest of the ride.

If you simply pass another rider and then ~5 minutes later -- or ~5 seconds later -- slow down such that they're able to catch back up and possibly pass you, then you haven't really "pulled it off" you've just become an inconvenience to other cyclists. Aka, a d**chebag.
Yeah, if I’m gaining slowly on someone and to pass him would leave me completely gassed so I then have to slow back down, I just stay back. I pass if I can do so and then walk away.
Old 08-23-22, 03:21 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I had two times my ride last weekend where I did this trading places thing. I passed these riders on a flat, then on the uphill they passed me, then I passed them on the way down and that was that. All fine, we just had our own paces on different grades. The annoying thing was later someone passed me at the very top of a hill at a fast clip, and then proceeded to go about 5mph slower than I would want to go on the downhill, but it was heavy traffic so I didn't feel like passing. Don't do that. I think he was trying to catch me for awhile and did a "whew" when he made it, forgetting what an annoyance he was going so slow right after passing.
Old 08-23-22, 03:40 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
If you want to use a rider up the road as a rabbit, and add that dimension to your ride, go for it. There's really no harm being done. Just don't be an @$$ about it. Honestly, my first instinct on a bike is to make it competitive, even if I'm only competing with my own PR. Riding for the simple joy of rolling down the road under your own power is something I'm learning how to do.
Old 08-23-22, 03:43 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by caloso
Many riders, self included, will do workouts of repeated intervals at a certain effort, whether that’s measured by power or heart rate or just feel. So don’t be surprised if you see a rider go hard for, say 3 minutes, then sit up and soft pedal, then repeat. They’re not going to want to have an impromptu race.
I get that. I’ve never been very scientific in my training. I usually just go out and try to ride hard. But I’m aware a lot of guys are focused on an objective that is not “go as fast as possible around this park.”

Lately I’ve been wondering if I should do some more structured routines. In the winter I ride inside on my TACX trainer, so I can see my power, I can enjoy ride parameters that are often not possible in the real world, and I can focus on the effort with no distractions or safety concerns.

Since I don’t have power measurement on the bike itself, I can’t ride for power outside. I don’t believe it’s important at all for a guy without specific goals for performance improvement.

My goals are to maintain or improve my general health and fitness, and to be able to ride increasing distance and intensity over time. With these vague objectives, there’s probably no need for structured workouts where I ride for a specific length of time at a certain power. Love me some intervals, but I just let the hills of my favorite course dictate them.

I have done FTP tests occasionally and I try to work out in a way that my FTP will increase over time, but all the math and science to make that happen is handled transparently by my app.

FWIW, I had about 180W FTP a few years ago, and I gradually brought it up to 200. This of course is an estimate and not necessarily super accurate. It’s good enough for me though. I don’t know how well I’ve maintained that since my last test, as I went through an illness and some family situations that temporarily derailed my training. Soon I’ll probably get back on the trainer and take another test to see where I stand.

Last edited by Broctoon; 08-23-22 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-23-22, 04:01 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
Chase riders, catch riders, pass riders, drop riders. Go for it, as long as you do it safely.

What's not fine is jumping on the wheel of some stranger, treating them as your own personal domestique. Now THAT is ******-bagery.

Hey, wheel sucker! I don't know you, and I certainly don't work for you, get off my ****-ing wheel!

It happened on today's endurance/tempo ride (Cañada Rd., for those who know it). Heading north, I caught up to a guy, said "hi" as I passed. He didn't even look up or grunt an acknowledgement. I kept on at my pace.

Several hundred yards later, as I slowed for a stop sign, surprise! There he was on my wheel, ready to plow into me! He had quietly jumped on my wheel.

Fortunately, Cañada Road has a nice uphill section, so I was able to ride him off my wheel with just a little extra effort.

People, don't do that.

Old 08-23-22, 04:12 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Chase riders, catch riders, pass riders, drop riders. Go for it, as long as you do it safely.

What's not fine is jumping on the wheel of some stranger, treating them as your own personal domestique. Now THAT is ******-bagery.

Hey, wheel sucker! I don't know you, and I certainly don't work for you, get off my ****-ing wheel!

It happened on today's endurance/tempo ride (Cañada Rd., for those who know it). Heading north, I caught up to a guy, said "hi" as I passed. He didn't even look up or grunt an acknowledgement. I kept on at my pace.

Several hundred yards later, as I slowed for a stop sign, surprise! There he was on my wheel, ready to plow into me! He had quietly jumped on my wheel.

Fortunately, Cañada Road has a nice uphill section, so I was able to ride him off my wheel with just a little extra effort.

People, don't do that.
Hmmm...I've never really been bothered if someone I pass jumps on my wheel. It doesn't happen very often. Typically, I just continue on at whatever pace is my choice, and they fade away soon enough. On occasion, I will incrementally dial up the heat a little at a time until they break. If I'm riding solo, I wouldn't be opposed to trading pulls with another rider of a similar level, if they're down for that.
Old 08-23-22, 04:25 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts

People, don't do that.
What if he told you "im on your wheel" or something along those lines, its canada road you gotta expect drafters
Old 08-23-22, 05:09 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
What if he told you "im on your wheel" or something along those lines, its canada road you gotta expect drafters
Haven't we already covered this, Larry?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-23-22, 06:16 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

No drafting without permission, that's my rule.

This bozo almost crashed into me.

Last edited by terrymorse; 08-23-22 at 10:56 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-23-22, 06:36 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
I don't mind if people pass me, but I'd appreciate a "good morning" or "great day, huh?" I'm usually riding really early in the morning so if someone passes me (and I can tell they're just trying to prove themselves), I just say "GOOD MORNING" as loud as I can. It startles them and amuses me... Yeah, I know it's childish but oh well...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 08-23-22, 07:02 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
You can blurt out blert. You can say wanker and tosser. I suppose we should be grateful for what we can say rather than angry about what we can't.
And dork. And berk. And dong.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-23-22, 07:20 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
No drafting without permission, that's the rule.

On Sunday a neighbor blew his rear tire while someone was drafting him without his knowledge. My neighbor started to wobble and slowed. The guy behind him took them both down. My neighbor wasn’t hurt badly. The drafter got a gash on his face, among other injuries. Neighbor said it looked bad enough to require stitches, but the guy didn’t want anyone to call for medical assistance.
Old 08-23-22, 07:33 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
  • folding bike
  • tiny wheels
  • "aggressive road fit"
  • "fast" tires
  • cruise at 25 mph
LOL
I literally meant cruise like cruising on a long flat road section, not average speed. The average speed would be a lot lower and max speed I'm hitting is not much beyond 25mph as I'm starting to spin out.

It was this bike but my friend's had more handlebar drop giving a lower riding position and the chain ring on his has been replaced and looked bigger. Conti slick tires. It felt a lot faster than my much cheaper road bike because it felt really light and the small wheels must be making a lot less drag.

I'm quite confident in this bike's design than other folders because the folding mechanism is entirely under tension (less metal fatigue) and integrated with elastomer suspension. I won't even dare riding at those speeds with other folders.

Last edited by koala logs; 08-23-22 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-23-22, 07:39 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
No drafting without permission, that's the rule.

as far as i know the “rule” is no unannounced silent drafting. If he called out that he was on your wheel how would you have reacted? Try to ride him off your wheel? Wanting permission is all well and good but IRL it sometimes doesnt work out that way.

did you slow down at the Jefferson stopsign or something? I dont think cops care if cyclists going uphill run that one.
Old 08-23-22, 07:47 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10151 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
What kind of workout is this? Do you just head out to do laps and then look for a rabbit to chase?
I did that on many summer evenings long ago in Central Park. It was easier than actually riding the Sunday morning club crits and I assume the mooks are still doing it there.

These days, on the rare occasions when I pass someone on the road, I listen for wheezing and look for signs of congestive heart failure.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-23-22, 08:06 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
These days, on the rare occasions when I pass someone on the road, I listen for wheezing and look for signs of congestive heart failure.

"Wait, I just passed you? Sir, are you okay? Do you need an ambulance? Stay with me! Don't go toward the light!"

Last edited by Broctoon; 08-23-22 at 10:35 PM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-23-22, 10:56 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

as far as i know the “rule” is no unannounced silent drafting.
When I'm on the front I have rules, and one of those rules is strangers may not suck my wheel.

If he called out that he was on your wheel how would you have reacted?
I would have informed him of my rule. If that didn't get him off, I would take "other measures".

did you slow down at the Jefferson stopsign or something? I dont think cops care if cyclists going uphill run that one.
Yes, I slowed down at the Jefferson stop sign, so I could see if the intersection was clear. Cops or not, I don't blow through stop signs at full gas. Garmin says I slowed to 10.5 mph.

Old 08-24-22, 04:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
So I sometimes like to try passing other riders. Often, I can pull it off. (Not always.) I’m not smug about it. I don’t gloat or grin at them. Most of them probably don’t care or even pay any attention to me. But I wonder.

Years ago, someone on the forums read a post from a guy who described doing the same thing and replied “Yeah, nothing cooler than beating other riders who aren’t racing.” He’s being sarcastic, and he’s (sarcastically) right.

I just have a little competitive streak, and I find I can push myself harder during a workout if I lock onto a target a quarter mile or so ahead and commit to passing him. If I notice someone approaching me from behind, I try to keep my lead on him.

Not trying to troll here. I’m sincerely interested in your take on this tendency of mine. What do you say?
both normal human tendencies, I think. when I was younger, in my 20s, while driving too fast, I would often feel like a pac-man when passing other cars, feeling as tho I ate the competition

Old 08-24-22, 01:27 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
As long as the other riders aren't being dragged into your fantasy racing world, who cares? Tell yourself they're the maillot jaune and that you need to beat them by a full minute to win the GC. That will keep you hammering with enthusiasm long after you've passed them and after they probably turned off on some other route, blissfully oblivious to their crushing defeat.
Old 08-24-22, 03:25 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Tell yourself they're the maillot jaune and that you need to beat them by a full minute to win the GC.
Oh, in my Class 6 races, I'm always wearing the yellow jersey. If someone else beats me, I'm sure the officials will find he was doping or something. If I win, it was a clean kill.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-24-22, 04:56 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
I would have informed him of my rule. If that didn't get him off, I would take "other measures".
Go on...internet is full of tough guys soo this should be good.
Old 08-24-22, 05:20 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

When I'm on the front I have rules, and one of those rules is strangers may not suck my wheel.

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
Go on...internet is full of tough guys soo this should be good.
Sorry to disappoint. I'm not a tough guy.

One of my "other measures" is slowing to a crawl and waving the wheel sucker to pass.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 08-24-22, 05:31 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8262 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
both normal human tendencies, I think. when I was younger, in my 20s, while driving too fast, I would often feel like a pac-man when passing other cars, feeling as tho I ate the competition
My ex had this problem. She would always pass the fastest car on the freeway. If she was going 70 and someone cruised by at 75, she would pass them back. I don't even think it was a conscious thing. When we moved and her commute was a longer freeway drive she got 4 speeding tickets in like 6 months. Our insurance went through the roof and she had to do traffic school and community service. She seemed to get the message, finally.

Now, people routinely drive 75-80 on our local freeways. It's insane.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-25-22, 04:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
My ex had this problem. She would always pass the fastest car on the freeway. If she was going 70 and someone cruised by at 75, she would pass them back. I don't even think it was a conscious thing. When we moved and her commute was a longer freeway drive she got 4 speeding tickets in like 6 months. Our insurance went through the roof and she had to do traffic school and community service. She seemed to get the message, finally.

yeah I like the 70mph pocket. it's helps that I drive SUVs now. slows me down ... in my twenties I lived in that left lane, even in the middle of the night w/ no traffic. the things I did w/ those old Chevy Citations were not good, I was pretty active in the old Mercury Capri too
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-25-22, 05:50 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10151 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by big john

I agree it’s unconscious. There’s something about the state of complete mindlessness which many drivers seem to inhabit which allows the visual cortex direct neural access to the flexors of the right ankle. The key to this understanding is that they slow down to 62 mph, as soon as they’re past you and the stimulus is gone.
Likes For MoAlpha:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.