Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-18, 04:31 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Nice reports! (I didn't ride today. My sweetie and I did walk the Battle Road trail from the Visitors Center to Meriam's Corner and back. Got rained on pretty hard for one spell. I'll probably get rained on again on my bike commute tomorrow.
Old 04-30-18, 07:43 AM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
Cranberry Fields forever

Stopped to snap a few shots, but started to rain, so didn't take much time composing.

Last edited by NewATBikeComute; 04-30-18 at 07:50 AM. Reason: resize photo
Old 04-30-18, 11:34 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
What a gorgeous Saturday it was - jealous of all of you who got to ride. I was running errands and crossed the Minuteman a couple times - both times there were crowds of people crossing, as expected on such a nice day. Gone are the days of having the path all to yourself as you return from work in the dark at 5:30pm...

For those of you who have done the coastal ride to Portland, how is 1A? Constant buzzing traffic or less so? It's one of the routes I want to ride but having to deal with constant traffic would make it less enjoyable - one of the reasons I haven't done a Cape Ann loop yet, don't feel safe riding on those narrow roads - maybe I need to do it early on a Sunday?

P.S. I go away for a week and the forum updates its layout!
Old 05-02-18, 10:49 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 885 Posts
Spent the morning finishing up a rebuild of a friend's old Gary Fisher mtb, which taught me a few things I didn't know about trigger shifters. After declaring victory, I put the Surly Trucker DeLuxe wearing 53mm Compass Rat Trap Pass Extralights (the "Monster Trucker" to its friends) back on the road for the season, and took it for a quick spin up the Minuteman to Lexington Center and back.

Summer conditions prevailed, and there were several squadrons of runners out, presumably school groups. Some of the boys had removed their shirts in the heat, creating a sort of high-albedo effect from all that pale skin; some of the girls followed suit, and the group I saw were all wearing the same sports bras, presumably part of the uniform; practical and equitable. The group of runners I actually photographed was supervised, and all kept their shirts on.

As a cyclist on a Sequoia was making a fast descent in the inbound lane, in the vicinity of Brattle Street, Arlington, a little grey animal--which I thought at the time was a small dog, another bystander thought was a racoon, and which I now believe to be a young possum--threw itself under the bike's front wheel. The possum caught it in the neck (literally), the fork turned 45 degrees, and the rider went down hard. This was tough to see, and to hear. Those nearby rendered assistance, and the cyclist was back on his feet in a few minutes taking stock of road rash and his bicycle, preparing to resume his ride. The possum had very efficiently become invisible, probably just as well for it, since one of those rendering assistance was a young husky.

It's the time of year when young animals do zany things, and Darwin has his say. Stay alert, folks.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-05-18 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-03-18, 07:09 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Originally Posted by rholland1951
It's the time of year when young animals do zany things, and Darwin has his say. Stay alert, folks.
That includes **** sapiens of any age. Especially those carry cell phones.

And what have we come to that a legitimate scientific genus name has to be purged from the public vocabulary? Is the censoring software incapable of comprehending context?
Old 05-03-18, 08:30 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
fwiw, last cpl of days been seeing lots of bunnies almost everywhere. coyotes must be happy
Old 05-03-18, 08:41 AM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by jimmuller
That includes **** sapiens of any age. Especially those carry cell phones.

And what have we come to that a legitimate scientific genus name has to be purged from the public vocabulary? Is the censoring software incapable of comprehending context?
Means that BF is too cheap or too dull to get beyond REGEX and dirty-word lists and train up an RNN to do their bowdlerization with a little more nuance (since the libraries are free at this point, cheap isn't much of an excuse). They'd rather screw up the image import interface... Really, I suspect they've forgotten they have the bowdlerization turned on, and to the extent they do remember, figure it satisfies a punch-list requirement. My favorite is when the substring of a long URL gets censored and replaced with ****. That's a recurring failure mode, in my experience.

rod
Old 05-03-18, 08:50 AM
rholland1951

Means that BF is too cheap or too dull to get beyond REGEX and dirty-word lists and train up an RNN to do their bowdlerization with a little more nuance (since the libraries are free at this point, cheap isn't much of an excuse). They'd rather screw up the image import interface... Really, I suspect they've forgotten they have the bowdlerization turned on, and to the extent they do remember, figure it satisfies a punch-list requirement. My favorite is when the substring of a long URL gets censored and replaced with ****. That's a recurring failure mode, in my experience.

rod
Of course, if they DID train up an RNN to do their censorship, it might have interesting results, depending on their training corpora. For example, CARBON FIBER might become ****** *****...

rod
Old 05-03-18, 07:00 PM
rholland1951

Rolled out the Minuteman to Lexington Center on the LHT in the late afternoon, dodging the thunder storms that never quite arrived. No time for pictures, or much of anything other than cutting along through the warm and humid air. Exchanged greetings with Jim Muller at the Mill Street crossing, he headed E, I headed W. Got caught up in one of my favorite hobbies: saddle adjustment. At one point, I got off the bike to fiddle with the saddle height, threw my leg over the top tube to resume forward motion, and got asked "Are you OK?" by some slick individual who was riding by just at that moment. I assured him that I was, which seemed to disappoint him. I refrained from telling him to watch out for possums, no point in further confusing the boy. After a vigorous ride, home in time for dinner.

rod
Old 05-03-18, 07:14 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

...Exchanged greetings with Jim Muller at the Mill Street crossing...
Indeed. The observant observer (not that you weren't) would have noticed that I even came to a complete stop and put one foot down for a fraction of a second.just like I'm s'posed to there.

I've seen lots of bikes these last few days, some ridden by idiots. This afternoon I was about to pass two pedestrians on the MM when I happened to catch the briefest glimpse of another kitted-out rider winning the Tour as he came up behind at a high rate of speed. I bailed on passing the pedestrians until he'd passed then called out to him that he should call out when passing like that. He ignored me. But a 1/4 mile later I came up on him as he had dismounted to lift his bike over a guardrail. I stopped and asked if it was he who'd just passed me as I was passing two pedestrians. He didn't know, said "I guess so, I dunno'. I might have." In other words, he hadn't noticed his surroundings. I pointed out how fortunately I'd caught him in my mirror and if I'd hadn't we'd both be back there lying on the pavement so maybe next time he should call out. He seemed thoroughly puzzled by the concept, as if he'd never thought of that before. Yeesh.
Old 05-04-18, 04:18 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I'm here reading everyone's posts but ran out of new and descriptive ways to describe my rides. I've been getting back into my usual early morning routine. Often I can't get out of bed and get my helmet on fast enough. Although spring has finally sprung I feel as if I need to get out and soak it before late autumn drags me off the bike again. Saturday I was on my Roubaix for a quick 30 mile spine before taking Ghazmh junior to the Bruce Freeman rail trail for some family riding (on my steel Soma Smoothie). I rode again Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Monday may have been the last AM non raining ride on the new cross bike for the season.
Old 05-04-18, 05:07 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I'm here reading everyone's posts but ran out of new and descriptive ways to describe my rides. I've been getting back into my usual early morning routine. Often I can't get out of bed and get my helmet on fast enough.

Although spring has finally sprung I feel as if I need to get out and soak it before late autumn drags me off the bike again. Saturday I was on my Roubaix for a quick 30 mile spine before taking Ghazmh junior to the Bruce Freeman rail trail for some family riding (on my steel Soma Smoothie). I rode again Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Monday may have been the last AM non raining ride on the new cross bike for the season.
Hi @Ghazmh,

As you may recall we met on a ride in April last year. My job keeps me away from riding a lot, but back in 2009 I posted a similar sentiment about riding in the nice weather. In fact, I have referred to the first Sunday in May, to Columbus Day as "Leg Season."
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Winter commuting, and only commuting, about 80 miles per week. From May to October I go up to almost 200 miles per week, and one of my motivations is to enjoy the nice weather while it's here. I think of it as canning the sunshine to last me through the winter.
Here in Massachusetts I celebrate Leg Season.
...Summer for the time being, and the more prized for it...

I celebrate the nice weather part of the year as a self-proclaimed "Leg Season," when short pants are the usual dress. It starts on the first Sunday in May with the Annual Walk for Hunger, and ends on Columbus Day with the Annual [Womens'] Tufts 10 K Road Race, both attracting thousands of participants.
Leg Season 2018 starts this Sunday, May 6.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-04-18 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-04-18, 05:47 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Hey Jim, I remember that rainy April ride very well. I say bring on leg season.......

Hi @Ghazmh,

As you may recall we met on a ride in April last year. My job keeps me away from riding a lot, but back in 2009 I posted a similar sentiment about riding in the nice weather. In fact, I have referred to the first Sunday in May, to Columbus Day as "Leg Season."Leg Season 2018 starts this Sunday, May 6.
Old 05-04-18, 07:50 AM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by NewATBikeComute
Stopped to snap a few shots, but started to rain, so didn't take much time composing.

Thanks for a lovely and evocative photo. Sometimes we ride into beauty...

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-04-18 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-04-18, 10:20 PM
rholland1951

Rolled out on the Ebisu All Purpose Bicycle for a ramble in the Mysterious East, which is to say Arlington, Medford, Malden, and Melrose. This refreshed my urban riding skills; the nearest miss involved getting buzzed by The Ride in Malden.

Along the way, a few photos got taken. Here's the Red Menace advancing through Medford:

My Ebisu payed a courtesy call to Medford's Ebisuya, something it's been meaning to do for a while now. Good luck all around.

We progressed from Shinto to Buddhism with a stop at to the stupa at the Kurukulla Center; this has become a mandatory object of pilgrimage for me.

Rolled on to Malden and paid my respects at the Bell Rock Cemetery, Malden's Old Burial Ground and the next otherworldly stop on this ride.

Back in this world and back on the Northern Strand Community Trail, I was passed by a young man who popped a couple of wheelies to celebrate being alive.

Lime Bikes were ubiquitous, in motion and at rest. These were seen in Melrose.

Back on the Northern Strand, the weather was changing.

Rolling home through West Medford, I stopped to admire a train. Silly not to.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-04-18 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-05-18, 01:41 PM
rholland1951

Tricked myself out of most of the day for riding, but did take the Rawland Nordavinden out for a spin on the Minuteman Linear Common, sporting beautiful Spring foliage and 10,000 of my dearest friends, many of whom were trying to get the hang of Random Walk. I smiled at everybody, didn't ride like a body part, and made reasonably good time for all that.

The onset of warm weather has led me to start wearing my Summer riding shoes, which in turn has led to an orgy of saddle adjustment on the 4 bikes I've cycled through (no pun intended) this week. As a result, I have slightly sore knees from the error part of the trial-and-error adjustment process, but the four bikes now have properly adjusted saddles; the Ebisu, however, now has a rounded constrictor binder bolt, and I'll have to see to that... the good news is, the saddle is the correct height, for now, and isn't likely to move.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-05-18 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-05-18, 04:48 PM
Ghazmh

Lots and lots and lots of folks out today. I had enough time this morning to sneak out for a 2 hour 38 mile spin on my R3 (my fastest but not my favorite). Feeling quite energetic I tore up 225 through Carlisle into Bedford faster than I ever have to date (per Strava), about 25 mph. It wasn't an overly long ride. Enough to satiate my cycling itch before spending the afternoon with the kids at Decordova.
Old 05-06-18, 07:08 PM
rholland1951

Yet another quick spin up to Lexington in the late afternoon, on the LHT this time. Cool, gray, breezy weather with just a hint of drizzle kept the throngs at bay, and there was a bit of solitude on offer. I took it.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 05-06-18 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-07-18, 09:37 AM
Ghazmh

Sundays ride was a bit longer. A few drip drops to be felt. Nothing that warranted considering rain gear but enough that the Roubaix was covered With enough sandy grime to warrant a full clean and lube.
Old 05-07-18, 10:15 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Sundays ride was a bit longer. A few drip drops to be felt. Nothing that warranted considering rain gear but enough that the Roubaix was covered With enough sandy grime to warrant a full clean and lube.
I avoid wet roads / dirt as much as possible on my pristine carbon fiber Specialized S-Works. I describe my maximal tolerance for the road conditions for my CF as "acceptably damp"; but even then I can feel the fine grit kicked up on the seat tube.

For anything worse than acceptably damp, I have a nice aluminum Specialized Diverge as an over-qualified "beater."
Old 05-07-18, 11:59 AM
Ghazmh

I avoid wet roads / dirt as much as possible on my pristine carbon fiber Specialized S-Works. I describe my maximal tolerance for the road conditions for my CF as "acceptably damp"; but even then I can feel the fine grit kicked up on the seat tube.

For anything worse than acceptably damp, I have a nice aluminum Specialized Diverge as an over-qualified "beater."
the joys of owning multiple bikes allows us this privilege. My R3 is my blue skies and sunshine only bike. My Boone 7 cross bike is for winter, bad sandy roads, heavy rain and when I anticipate puddles whose depth I can't always determine or avoid. My Roubaix fills the middle ground and consequently has racked up the most mileage. Including the 30 delightful miles I just did during my lunch break today. I could have rode the R3 but the right pedal bearings have disintegrated and has substantial slop (Ultegra 6800 SPD-SL). I have a set of Ultegra 8000 pedals on order. I loathe playing musical pedals between bikes. I'll just keep the R3 racked until the new pedals arrive. Which will be Wednesday!

Last edited by Ghazmh; 05-07-18 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-07-18, 02:00 PM
autonomy

Happy to report that my recovery has been going well enough such that I can climb up on my road bike in the trainer! Woohoo, I've been cycling 20-30 minutes - yes indoors - yet every day and on my own bike! This has led to two discoveries - the cycling is making a significant positive impact on my recovery, both strength and flexibility (I also keep stretching, that's a big factor) and it sounds like my bottom bracket bearings require lubing - if not a complete replacement - there is a sort of rough feeling/grinding nose in the frame when I spin the cranks. Will need to address that soon. Might even renew my Zwift membership.

Wife was lucky enough to get out both days for a ride, said it was beautiful but completely packed on Saturday on the Minuteman, and cold yet empty on Sunday.
Old 05-07-18, 10:14 PM
rholland1951

Got out of my own way early enough in the day to take the Monster Trucker (Surly Trucker DeLuxe sporting 559x53 Compass Rat Trap Pass Extralight tires) out on a 49-mile ramble through Arlington, Lexington, Bedford, Carlisle, Chelmsford, Westford, Acton, and Concord. The goal of all that pedaling was to explore Phase 2A of the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail, and that happened, but it was a delightful Spring day and very little excuse was needed.

The Phase 2A start beckons just across Rte 225.

Spring's skunk cabbage, amid the Winter's windfall trees...

...and a turtle on a log. Much happier than the squashed turtle I saw on Fiske Street.

Phase 2A had to end somewhere: this is it. By this time next year, Phase 2B will give us a bridge across Rte. 2, something that should be genuinely useful.

Pope Road meets 119 close to the BFRT terminus. Once on that, the return was reduced to a known problem. How long did it take to grow those trees?

Back by way of Pope Road, Strawberry Hill Road, Estabrook Road, the Reformatory Branch Trail, and the Minuteman.

rod
Old 05-08-18, 10:37 AM
autonomy

Got out of my own way early enough in the day to take the Monster Trucker (Surly Trucker DeLuxe sporting 559x53 Compass Rat Trap Pass Extralight tires) out on a 49-mile ramble through Arlington, Lexington, Bedford, Carlisle, Chelmsford, Westford, Acton, and Concord. The goal of all that pedaling was to explore Phase 2A of the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail, and that happened, but it was a delightful Spring day and very little excuse was needed.

rod
Ooh, I didn't know the Acton section was now open. I've been itching to explore it up to Lowell ever since they started construction - my mom lives a stone throw away so a good place to drop off the toddler and explore (or just park at her place and explore with the toddler). This also reminds me that I promised my mom to rehab a bike for her that's just sitting in my basement.
Old 05-08-18, 03:09 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by autonomy
Happy to report that my recovery has been going well enough such that I can climb up on my road bike in the trainer! Woohoo.
Woohoo indeed! Recovery good. Keep going!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.