Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Frustrated with cycling clubs

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Frustrated with cycling clubs

Old 04-27-22, 06:47 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
No doubt there is safety in numbers. However, the more numerous the bicycles on the road, the more frustrated driver will be especially when they view cycling as purely recreational. How can cycling clubs be anything but recreational?

Do cycling clubs offer other types of rides? For example, if someone wanted to organize a permanent group commute, he can try, through a cycling club to organize companionship to ride from around his neighbourhood to his place of work or school, morning and evening. Just like car-pooling.
And on weekends, organize the same type of thing to go grocery shopping.
Old 04-27-22, 12:21 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Oddly enough, the one and only time I've been hit by a car in all my years of riding was when I was riding solo, on a straight, flat road with almost zero traffic. I was riding along the white line on the right side of the road. For some unknown reason, the driver didn't want to cross the center line to pass, even though there was no oncoming traffic as far as one could see.

To each his own. Enjoy your rides.
Thank you! I've never been hit or had a close call. I credit some of that to the 300 lumen rear blinky which I run. It can be seen for 2 miles in daylight. I encourage all riders to do the same. At night I run it in steady mode and point it slightly at the ground so as not to blind drivers or riders behind me. The big oval of lit-up ground behind my bike makes it even more visible and encourages drivers to give me room. I've had drivers thank me for using this light.

That's another reason I love to do group rides: I think that gives every rider more protection as vehicles give us more room. That said, I try to have riders divide themselves into a series of smaller groups if necessary, ideally no more than 6 bikes in each group so that cars can get around us. That's a little difficult to maintain because on the flat, the instinct of many subgroup's first rider is to speed up and shelter behind the wheel they see in front of them, rather than rotating off. Being comfortable with rotating off is a learned skill which has to be taught.
Old 05-04-22, 05:29 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 703 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Average ride speed is a useless metric.
We can hang.

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Everyone I know who rides a lot, rides for fitness
Oh, my... okay, maybe we can't hang.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 05-04-22, 09:06 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
We can hang.

Oh, my... okay, maybe we can't hang.
I hear you. Thing is, this area is all glaciated terrain with deep river valleys carved in it. You want to ride a lot, you don't ride in the valleys much because they're all overpopulated with automobiles. You ride in the hills, so you either get fit or you don't ride much. It's automatic. I love it. I doubt I'd have taken up cycling again as an adult if I lived somewhere flat. My other favorite activities have been rock climbing (in my youth), DH skiing, and hiking. I still do a good bit of the last two. I live in paradise.
Old 05-04-22, 09:11 PM
schwim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
When I can no longer solo ride, it will be time to hang up my fuzzy socks and call it quits.
Likes For schwim:
Old 05-07-22, 07:58 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I ride alone, yeahhhhh all by myself…
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 05-08-22, 01:43 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

"Many people want to keep it simple and just ride as it pleases them."
True, but not all people find riding solo is what they enjoy. Personally, I've adjusted my speed down to stay with a slower rider, sometimes just to converse, sometimes to give a little encouragement. If I ask "how are you doing?" and get "Okay, I'm fine, you go ahead" then I'll leave them to ride alone.

"Why do people want to ride hard on group rides and even challenge each other? Because it's impossible to ride as hard by one's self as one can when presented by a challenge to ride harder. It's a health and fitness thing. You want to ride strong, you have to ride with someone stronger. That's really the basis for most group rides. And going on a group ride to converse with your voice is a really bad idea. That means riding abreast which is not a good idea at all. On a path, you take up too much room and on a road, you force vehicles to increase their exposure time to the oncoming traffic, plus you're distracted. It's exactly as dangerous as using a phone while driving. On a ride, you talk with your bike, which many times is more expressive and interesting than casual conversation. Riding abreast is generally forbidden on group rides around here unless one is passing another rider."
Believe it or not, there ARE actual 'social rides' that people participate in. If you wish to participate in a group training ride, that's fine. Oh, and during those social rides, people will actually converse with each other in the normal manner, rather than talking with their bike (what the heck is that, anyway? Can I just use a translator app on the phone?) Riding abreast - at least around here - is the preferred method on a group ride, and is perfectly legal. The idea is to force vehicles to wait until it's safe for them to pass, rather than trying to pass too closely while other vehicles are coming the other way.

"Of course it's a whole 'nother story if one doesn't see cycling as a sport but rather as a recreational activity like fishing, walking, or photography."
Imagine that.
It just so happens in this case that his opinions are logical and commonplace.
Yours are more of a personal wish list and a bit daffy. You seemingly want to encourage large groups of slow riders to ride two abreast for no other reason than to chit-chat in traffic

Last edited by downhillmaster; 05-08-22 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-08-22, 08:18 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
It just so happens in this case that his opinions are logical and commonplace.
Yours are more of a personal wish list and a bit daffy. You seemingly want to encourage large groups of slow riders to ride two abreast for no other reason than to chit-chat in traffic
A large group of fast riders, riding two abreast in traffic, is still a slow group to a driver that wants to go 40+ MPH.
And your opinions seem, to me, like a certain part of the human anatomy that everyone has, but believes that theirs is the only one that doesn't stink.
Old 05-08-22, 10:13 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
A large group of fast riders, riding two abreast in traffic, is still a slow group to a driver that wants to go 40+ MPH.
And your opinions seem, to me, like a certain part of the human anatomy that everyone has, but believes that theirs is the only one that doesn't stink.
Perfect. We are in total agreement.
Encouraging riding two abreast at any speed is not the best idea. That wasn’t so hard now was it?
Club rides on roads with 40 mph+ speed limits also bad idea
Old 05-08-22, 05:40 PM
Daniel4

Regardless if it's two-abreast or single file, cyclists will take the lane for safety. In either case, a safe driver will properly change lanes to pass when it is safe to do so. Passing two-abreast will take less time to pass than single-file.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 05-11-22, 05:30 AM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
To the OP,

I used to ride groups. Then moving away forced me to ride solo, or maybe with one other rider.
I've gotten to the point where I enjoy riding solo, no pressure to keep up, go where and how fast (slow&#128579 I want. No testosterone filled rides.
But I hear you on the safety thing. My wife and I kinda solved this with our Garmins. We use the safety tracking feature. Not quite the same, but gives a little peace of mind.

Ride on!
Old 05-11-22, 05:37 AM
BobsPoprad

To the OP,

I used to ride groups. Then moving away forced me to ride solo, or maybe with one other rider.
I've gotten to the point where I enjoy riding solo, no pressure to keep up, go where and how fast (slow&#128579 I want. No testosterone filled rides.
But I hear you on the safety thing. My wife and I kinda solved this with our Garmins. We use the safety tracking feature. Not quite the same, but gives a little peace of mind.

Ride on!
Likes For BobsPoprad:
Old 05-11-22, 05:38 AM
BobsPoprad

Oops... think it went twice. Sorry.
Must be really important 🙂.
Old 05-11-22, 05:58 AM
Monkey Face

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
I've never joined a cycling club, but have been on informal group rides. Invariably, there was an alpha male or two in there somewhere, and as a consequence I never really found the rides enjoyable - both in terms of the riding and the competitiveness of the group. Mind you, one of them was a veteran national cross country MTB champion and he was the most easy-going of them all.

In my younger days I was as competitive as the next guy, but as I got older I felt that my competitiveness was something to leave in the office. These days I like to ride alone, canoe alone, play guitar alone, go fishing on my own, but I do almost everything else with my wife, and have plenty of good friends, so I'm never lonely. I just like my own space and I've nothing more to prove.

As for safety in numbers, I get that, and who knows what dangers lie ahead, but I seek out the quiet country lanes and avoid rush hours and 'beer' times, to try to minimise the risk. Plus, I recently bought a gravel bike, so I can go where cars tend not to. They recently introduced new 'keep your distance' laws here in the UK to better protect cyclists from motorists, and I've noticed a big difference in driver behaviour as a result.

Last edited by Monkey Face; 05-11-22 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-11-22, 06:57 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I ride solo most of the time and have never been involved in a formal club. I am in my late sixties and although I still ride classic racing bikes , I have no interest in going faster than what is comfortable just to try to keep up with younger folks. I have been passed on narrow rural roads by large groups on modern racing bikes that show no courtesy to others . I met a few guys from my neighborhood that ride and about once a month we get together and ride the rural roads and canyons . It is fun and no one pushes too hard just a friendly ride of about 30 miles or so. The rest of the time I’m on my own.
I am also an old(er), slow(er), chubbi(er) rider who rides classic old school racing bikes.

I am also in the Ventura area. I should join you guys.
Old 05-11-22, 06:58 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Originally Posted by Monkey Face
I seek out the quiet country lanes and avoid rush hours and 'beer' times, to try to minimise the risk.
It's always beer time, apparently: A cycling couple -- husband & wife -- were killed in my neighborhood several weeks ago, struck from behind by a drunk driver who then fled the scene. (And was fortunately caught shortly thereafter.)
It was 9:00AM on a Sunday morning.
:::angryface:::

Not that being in a group would have saved them...
Old 05-18-22, 09:10 PM
Daniel4

In other threads, people post their frustration with group rides holding up traffic whether it's two cyclists or 75. I'm thinking bike clubs should start getting police ******* just in case angry motorists might start taking matters into their own hands.
Old 05-18-22, 09:38 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
In other threads, people post their frustration with group rides holding up traffic whether it's two cyclists or 75. I'm thinking bike clubs should start getting police ******* just in case angry motorists might start taking matters into their own hands.
or they could ride single file as far to the right as safely possible, only taking a wider part of the lane when they’re traveling at similar speeds to traffic (downhill, 20-25 speed limits) or it’s unsafe to stay to the edge. we have a right to be on the road, I don’t believe we have a right to “block” more of the road than otherwise required because we’d like to chit chat. if the drivers of two convertibles took both lanes of a two-lane-each-direction road going half the speed limit because they were chatting…. I doubt that would be considered socially acceptable.
Old 05-18-22, 09:58 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Mostly the trick is to smile and wave while not holding up traffic. People like that. I had one scary episode when one of the group riders gave the finger to a car who passed too close, too fast. That car went up the road, turned around, and came back at high speed on the wrong side of the road. We all dover for the ditch, one minor injury, one busted bike or wheel, I forget which. Smile and wave, no matter what curses they hurl at you, ride single file, and in subgroups of about 6 bikes.

On another ride, a former Marine Corps officer was arrested after showing some object in his jersey pocket to a pickup truck driver who had objected to his presence on the road. More interestingly a female fellow rider, who was also a lawyer, bailed him out of jail, and they became lovers. I tell you, this happens all the time. We call it the Peyton Flock effect. See, cycling clubs aren't so bad after all.
Old 05-19-22, 01:19 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
or they could ride single file as far to the right as safely possible, only taking a wider part of the lane when they’re traveling at similar speeds to traffic (downhill, 20-25 speed limits) or it’s unsafe to stay to the edge. we have a right to be on the road, I don’t believe we have a right to “block” more of the road than otherwise required because we’d like to chit chat. if the drivers of two convertibles took both lanes of a two-lane-each-direction road going half the speed limit because they were chatting…. I doubt that would be considered socially acceptable.
If you crunch some numbers, it's unsafe to try sharing a lane that's less than about 12.5-13 feet wide. That is, 18 inches for the rider's shoulders, 18 inches on either side for wobble room, and 8.5 feet for a standard pickup truck or SUV. Because you position yourself based on what you're likely to meet, not what's actually behind you at a given moment. Even that number ignores 'safe passing distance.' How many roads that you ride in have lanes that are that wide? There are more and more states that are like Michigan and enacting laws that allow the cyclist to take the full lane under specific conditions, 'sub-standard' lanes being one. Your convertibles example is senseless because, well, cars are already twice as wide as needed to hold the driver. So they're doing all the time what they don't want cyclists to do. Maybe if I rode an 8-foot-wide bicycle they wouldn't have anything to complain about?
Old 05-19-22, 01:31 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
If you crunch some numbers, it's unsafe to try sharing a lane that's less than about 12.5-13 feet wide. That is, 18 inches for the rider's shoulders, 18 inches on either side for wobble room, and 8.5 feet for a standard pickup truck or SUV. Because you position yourself based on what you're likely to meet, not what's actually behind you at a given moment. Even that number ignores 'safe passing distance.' How many roads that you ride in have lanes that are that wide? There are more and more states that are like Michigan and enacting laws that allow the cyclist to take the full lane under specific conditions, 'sub-standard' lanes being one. Your convertibles example is senseless because, well, cars are already twice as wide as needed to hold the driver. So they're doing all the time what they don't want cyclists to do. Maybe if I rode an 8-foot-wide bicycle they wouldn't have anything to complain about?
i understand all that (i’m a principal of a firm that does, among other things, urban design), and in california the law is very clear that if the lane is of substandard width, or the bike lane / shoulder is unsafe, you don’t need to be right-justified. my point may not have been clear - it’s really rude to take more of the width than needed for safety simply because you want to chat. my car example holds with the narrowest two cars available, driving side by side at a slow speed simply for their own pleasure. safety absolutely first, but some consideration for other users second, personal preference or entertainment value third.
Old 05-19-22, 01:48 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

it’s really rude to take more of the width than needed for safety simply because you want to chat.
You may have missed the earlier post where someone pointed out that riding two abreast makes your group half as long, and therefore allows the overtaking motor vehicles to pass you more quickly. Since cars are going to have to pass with ample space and caution (ha!) anyway, I think most automobile drivers would appreciate the courtesey of us allowing them to resume their normal [sic] driving habits in half the time.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 05-19-22, 03:41 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
You may have missed the earlier post where someone pointed out that riding two abreast makes your group half as long, and therefore allows the overtaking motor vehicles to pass you more quickly. Since cars are going to have to pass with ample space and caution (ha!) anyway, I think most automobile drivers would appreciate the courtesey of us allowing them to resume their normal [sic] driving habits in half the time.
maybe that’s a good trade off. i suppose it depends on the road.

what i see more commonly on the relatively narrow roads i ride on is that the shoulder + lane or single lane on the uphill side is plenty wide for a car plus a bike with the requisite 3’ between them. riding side by side forces the car into the oncoming lane, or they just stay behind and get frustrated as more and more cars pile up behind them.

then the cars decide to pass when the cyclists are going really slow - uphill - which is inevitably exactly when a solo cyclist like myself is descending at speed in the middle of the downhill lane, because (at least around here) roads are built asymmetrically with the wider lane and shoulder uphill for exactly this reason. the speed difference between bikes and cars is much greater uphill.

i don’t see a lot of huge group rides. had a few close calls on descents for exactly the situation above. i didn’t think was any reason most pairs or sets of pairs of cyclists ride side by side other than to chat, but i could be wrong!
Old 05-19-22, 06:48 PM
Daniel4

Even if you can manage to get 75 guys to comply on every inch of the ride, you still might not avoid any angry drivers who has to pass such a long line without an incidence.

Or you can hire police escort on bicycles who can direct traffic for passing vehicles and keep the peace.
Old 05-19-22, 07:03 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
i understand all that (i’m a principal of a firm that does, among other things, urban design), and in california the law is very clear that if the lane is of substandard width, or the bike lane / shoulder is unsafe, you don’t need to be right-justified. my point may not have been clear - it’s really rude to take more of the width than needed for safety simply because you want to chat. my car example holds with the narrowest two cars available, driving side by side at a slow speed simply for their own pleasure. safety absolutely first, but some consideration for other users second, personal preference or entertainment value third.
I don't understand your point.

Given a substandard road width, which is every road I ride save for the primary thoroughfares with shoulders, a driver must enter the opposing lane to pass safely. The driver must do that whether riders are two abreast or single file. How is the driver inconvenienced by the two abreast pair? Is the driver is not inconvenienced, why are the riders rude?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.