Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Steel faster than carbon?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Steel faster than carbon?

Old 10-26-22, 12:23 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
The thread’s recent tangent into superheroes and bullets reminds me of a funny cartoon.

Likes For Broctoon:
Old 10-26-22, 12:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
All I wanna know is, how come Superman could calmly take 6 bullets to the chest and then had to duck when the guy threw the empty gun at him?
Good question.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-26-22, 12:34 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
<Gasp!> How could the orange bike beat the red bike???
Old 10-26-22, 12:45 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
I sometimes wondered how certain users managed to rack up so many posts into the tens of thousands, regardless of how long they've been active on the forum. This thread helps clarify as it's the same few long timers who need to come in every thread and try to criticize the OP, derail any conversation, and make the same jokes that weren't funny the 20th time they posted in every other new thread.

Really guys, what is so hard about just ignoring a thread if you don't think it's worth your time? Why do you need to continue to pat yourselves on the back for how amazing you are as forum users because you've derailed every previous thread on a topic and won't let one get by without your steering it away from actual discussion and into stupid arguments, and then complain about how all similar threads always end up with stupid arguments.
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 10-26-22, 01:46 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
I sometimes wondered how certain users managed to rack up so many posts into the tens of thousands, regardless of how long they've been active on the forum. This thread helps clarify as it's the same few long timers who need to come in every thread and try to criticize the OP, derail any conversation, and make the same jokes that weren't funny the 20th time they posted in every other new thread.

Really guys, what is so hard about just ignoring a thread if you don't think it's worth your time? Why do you need to continue to pat yourselves on the back for how amazing you are as forum users because you've derailed every previous thread on a topic and won't let one get by without your steering it away from actual discussion and into stupid arguments, and then complain about how all similar threads always end up with stupid arguments.
This may be true of some threads but this one has been pretty entertaining.
Old 10-26-22, 01:52 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Actually I stop quite often and talk to the owners and pet the dogs since you are so curious. Have met all sorts of wonderful people that way. Any other things I can fill you in on? (I am doing my very best to be courteous).

Do I really need to explain I was going along with your joke by combining two of the trolliest thread topics around? (Dog threads and waving threads.)

Lighten up, Francis.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-26-22, 01:54 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts

I can't get my "B*tt Hurt Report" jpeg to upload, so I guess I don't have anything else constructive to add.
Old 10-26-22, 02:03 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
I can't get my "B*tt Hurt Report" jpeg to upload, so I guess I don't have anything else constructive to add.
Here you go!

Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-26-22, 02:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

That stuff bugs me as well--see my argument in the drop bar vs. flat thread, but this thread really went off the rails at the point the OP tried to turn it into a bigger argument about the "entire bike industry" being a "scam".

And also, the OP wasn't just about frame materials, he asked what caused the effect in the experiment he posted a link to. A lot of us have given him some pretty serious answers, and basically "poorly designed experiment" is a pretty interesting topic.

TBH, I don't really care that much when a long-timer gets blasted for starting a "x vs. y" thread that's been done a zillion times, but I do wish people would stop blasting the newbies for it. Hell, take it as a challenge to say something new.

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-26-22 at 02:11 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-26-22, 02:23 PM
indyfabz

Hanging out in the Addiction thread for a long time certainly helped. Also, posting in Touring a lot often requires a number of follow up posts to an initial response to a thread, especially when giving route advice/options.

What I hate are scolding posts. What’s so hard about ignoring posts you don’t think are worth your time?

Last edited by indyfabz; 10-26-22 at 02:27 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-26-22, 02:55 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
What I hate are scolding posts. What’s so hard about ignoring posts you don’t think are worth your time?
...scolding about scolding posts. The irony is palpable.
Old 10-26-22, 02:58 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Yesterday I weighed my steel ‘86 Bianchi Campione de Mundo and it came in at a ‘very svelte’ 25 lbs. Combine that with racing gears and the slowest of slow tires, Gatorskins and this girly man has one heck of a time pushing that bike as fast or far as my carbon Bianchi with GP 5000 tubulars, weighing 8 lbs less. By your criteria, I must be worthless and weak, but I can certainly live with that just fine. If you would like to take my 86 for a spin, you are more than welcome to enjoy the beauty of Columbus steel. Lance would approve.
Weight has an almost negligible effect on speed except in the wheels but the frame can be 5-10lb heavier and if you calculate the bike should only be something like a few tenths of a mph faster in the flats. Even on hills it makes a bigger difference but thanks to the rolling of the wheels which takes away much of the work of moving the weight small differences in mass like that are nearly inconsequential.

Yet a bike that is 5lbs lighter than another bike all else being equal is going to be faster and the weight is a good proxy indicator for the extra speed even though the weight itself changes little. This is because a bike that is lighter is stiffer. The lighter means that the material can be made to flex less while being thinner hence the weight savings and it's that flexing less that allows more of your power to spin the wheels as opposed to moving the frame. So the weight is a good measurement for how fast a bike will be but not because it's lighter, but rather that lighter bikes are more efficient and thus faster.

The difference is often amplified because lighter bikes are also more expensive thus nicer so all the componentry will be better. You have better groupsets, as I said lighter wheels too and these items all put together also help to make the bike faster assuming same rider and same power output.

Aero makes a huge difference though. Maybe not the frame or the bar but your body position especially does. Try getting on the drops or if you have a flat bar bike just lean more forward you will go for same effort about ~2mph faster depending on speed.
Old 10-26-22, 03:00 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Liked 7,819 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
I like how you kept this on topic. Steel is iron-y.
Old 10-26-22, 03:37 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts

Lighten up, scold. It's just a way to have some fun with a topic that has been beaten to death and deserves to stay dead.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-26-22, 03:40 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Precisely. BF has developed a very niche group of hypocrites who tell the rest of us to ignore posts which we find irritating -- but they can't follow their own advice.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-26-22, 03:41 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Irony, like steel, is real.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-26-22, 03:43 PM
indyfabz

A super fly, custom ti bike would have bested both the steel and plastic bikes.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-26-22, 03:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I wear long shorts and loose tights exclusively.
And then chow down on jumbo shrimp, I imagine.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-26-22, 03:53 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts

Titanium Man

The Titanium Men used green armor similar to that used by Iron Man and to that used by the Crimson Dynamo (their sometime compatriot). Neither suit of armor was as sophisticated as that used by Tony Stark as Iron Man,
Old 10-26-22, 03:56 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Liked 7,819 Times in 3,704 Posts
Crabon Fiber Man's brother?...
Old 10-26-22, 03:57 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts
Expect a knock at the door from Big Carbon.
The next HOT topic, is a bent faster than a diamond frame of any type,
Diamonds are nothing but carbon. Recumbents are another futile attempt to resist Big Carbon.
Likes For csport:
Old 10-26-22, 04:37 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
I rarely stop while riding, but i often toss a "Cute pup!" or something. I often pause while walking to greet pups.
I genuinely think this is a good idea. It will make them less likely to attack you, or someone else who comes along later.

(Of course, it never hurts to pack a can of HALT! just in case that approach fails.)
Old 10-26-22, 04:41 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Precisely. BF has developed a very niche group of hypocrites who tell the rest of us to ignore posts which we find irritating -- but they can't follow their own advice.
It’s the entire thread I want you to ignore, not individual posts. When a few of you account for 75% of the posts on a thread you didn’t start and most of those are your complaints that it’s not a viable thread, or quips relating to other threads you disapprove of, then those actually interested in discussing the intended topic can’t break through that mess to have a conversation and then you all just keep patting each other on the back for your perceived internet victory showing your viewpoint that the discussion isn’t worthy.

It seems that over the years most of what most of you have to add it useful, but lately you are broken records refusing to allow any thread to exist without your repeated postings to derail the attempt at being a forum for people to discuss a variety of topics, whether or not it’s been done before. If we only discussed truly new topics, the forum would whither away. I guess you’re all trying to make that happen anyway so your little clique of senior members can all just keep agreeing with how right you are about everything and everyone else is unworthy of the kilobytes of storage our messages take up on the server….
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 10-26-22, 05:02 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 587 Posts
It’s the entire thread I want you to ignore, not individual posts. When a few of you account for 75% of the posts on a thread you didn’t start and most of those are your complaints that it’s not a viable thread, or quips relating to other threads you disapprove of, then those actually interested in discussing the intended topic can’t break through that mess to have a conversation and then you all just keep patting each other on the back for your perceived internet victory showing your viewpoint that the discussion isn’t worthy.

It seems that over the years most of what most of you have to add it useful, but lately you are broken records refusing to allow any thread to exist without your repeated postings to derail the attempt at being a forum for people to discuss a variety of topics, whether or not it’s been done before. If we only discussed truly new topics, the forum would whither away. I guess you’re all trying to make that happen anyway so your little clique of senior members can all just keep agreeing with how right you are about everything and everyone else is unworthy of the kilobytes of storage our messages take up on the server….
Yaaaawn! But let's have a little fun, shall we? Why not!

The original poster here gave 'his' game away way back in his post #11: the original post was, of course, just a Trojan Horse for the good ole' 'Big Bike Scam' meme. That's fine, but you really cannot blame others ('us') for having some fun with this, surely?

But, hey ... let's 'drill down' and 'lean in', as they (whoever they are) say. I had some fun actually going to and looking at the original 'test report' the op cited. Gold, Jerry, Gold!! I was impressed.

First, I learnt some things I did not know before. For example, I learnt that the Trek Madone is an example of a new kind of road bike ... an "aerobatic" bicycle. Who knew? But did I stop there? No, I did not. I read more closely, and slowly but surely came to realize that the original 'test report' cited by the op is, in fact, not-very-thinly disguised bicycle porn. Quite literally!

Mine eyes were opened when I noted that the test report's author needed a few seconds fewer and a few watts fewer to achieve ... something ... on the steel bike than on "the Madonna". Hmmmm, I thought, something lurks below the surface here.

So I read on. And then I encountered the author's reference to being ready (so to speak) -- "Up again" -- and continuing with his 'tests'. These included "short strokes", on both bicycles, and he then points out that "he hit the wad precisely". Whether or not this was done on "a shady and toadstool road" alongside "Lugano Lake" in the shadow of "vertical mountains" I cannot say, but an impressive feat nevertheless.

I maintain, therefore, that I have taken the op and his original post entirely seriously, through close and careful reading, and tried my best to exercise due diligence and respond intelligently and helpfully to the thread's subject.
Likes For badger1:
Old 10-26-22, 05:17 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts

There are like 5 of these guys who contribute nothing, just put them on ignore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.