Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is it realistic to commute 50 miles daily for a year?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Is it realistic to commute 50 miles daily for a year?

Old 01-08-22, 01:19 AM
Big Dave Crowe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You better believe it! I did it for 4 years doing 80 miles a day towards the end. I was not commuting, just doing chores and excercising. Make sure you're running deore or shimano 105 grupo and you are good to go.
Old 01-10-22, 12:07 PM
Augie77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50 miles round trip is a long ride! For over 25 years I had a round trip of 26 to 30 miles, depending on my route. Did it all year long, unless it was raining that morning. And snow, it snows once in a while on Long Island. I moved a two years ago, and the route is now 30 miles each way, with more traffic. it would take me about 2 hours. I changed the commute to where I would drive about halfway and ride from there. I also am more selective about weather, if it looks like rain I will drive to work. I didn't mind riding in rain in the past, but I was home at the end of the commute. Now I get to my car and have to drive home in wet clothes.
I have a nice workplace, we have a shower, and I do not generally have to get that dressed up. I keep extra clothes in my office. My commuter bike for the last 10 years has been an old mountain bike that I converted to a single speed with city tires, not many major hills on the route.
Old 01-10-22, 05:00 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
I didn't read every reply.

50/day sounds miserable, even for an experienced cyclist. It's the 90 minutes of 25 miles, the 8.5 hour break, then 90 more minutes of 25 miles, then 12.5 hours rest, to repeat again.

When are you going to eat, shower, do laundry, live, etc...?

That being said, there's nothing from stopping you from driving in on Monday morning, riding home Mon night, to work Tuesday morning, then driving home Tuesday evening. Rinse, repeat.

If Bus service is available, you could ride in on one trip, & bus out on the other. That's how I do my 20 mile commute. Works well & keeps the legs ready enough to be sustainable.

Good Luck
Base2

Car dependency is a tax.