Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Old 03-19-10, 07:10 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
The lugs don't stump me as much as the well-done lug shorelines and tasteful seat stay cap.

By comparison, a '74 Capella-lugged Competition:

...not that I'm saying either of these two bikes are particularly representative examples.

-Kurt
Yow, I think "I" could almost do better than that?,,,,BD
Old 03-19-10, 07:20 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Hmm, maybe I should sell mine. It's a 1971. I should show you closeups of the lugwork. It's damned good. They got sloppy in subsequent years!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-19-10, 07:21 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Hey, Neal, you know more about Raleighs of this vintage than anyone I know. How do you compare the ride quality of the various models? My theory is that the Super Courses, Gran Sports, Competitions, and Internationals have the same or similar geometry and should ride about the same. Am I close?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-19-10, 04:09 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
...My theory is that the Super Courses, Gran Sports, Competitions, and Internationals have the same or similar geometry and should ride about the same. ...
+1 . I adhere to the same theory. ( At least for all but the most sensitive of derrieres. )
Old 03-19-10, 04:28 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Hey, Neal, you know more about Raleighs of this vintage than anyone I know. How do you compare the ride quality of the various models? My theory is that the Super Courses, Gran Sports, Competitions, and Internationals have the same or similar geometry and should ride about the same. Am I close?
Tom, my experience of comparing an early 70s Super Course, Gran Sport, and International is that the International rides the best by far, mostly because it's by far the lightest. I don't know how the geometries compare. I have an early 70s Grand Sports (yes, that's what it says on the top tube) frameset, but haven't figured out how to build it up. By the late 70s, the Competition GS had much racier geometry than in the earlier years.

Neal
Old 03-19-10, 05:28 PM
auchencrow

This bike was the subject of a prior thread, but what the heck, I’ll post the pics once more…

> 1973 Super Course TT – Flamboyant Red; Shimano bits replacing (damaged) originals. It also has a nice pair of tubulars that were original to the bike – (these, and the color, were primarily what distinguished it from the other SC’s…) Made one year…

Old 03-19-10, 05:36 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
The lugs don't stump me as much as the well-done lug shorelines and tasteful seat stay cap.

By comparison, a '74 Capella-lugged Competition:

...not that I'm saying either of these two bikes are particularly representative examples.

-Kurt
It's hard to believe that my '74 Capella-lugged Competition was built in the same factory. Too bad mine was abused so badly.
Old 03-19-10, 09:11 PM
king*stink

Bikes: 1973 concord fixie conversion, 2001 canondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
he told me to come take a look at it. I took the 45 minute trip up the highway. I got there and looked at the bike. The man said it was sold 20 minutes earlier and the buyer was coming back after it. A big waste of my time and a huge disapointment.

It was a mkII but it had the capella lugs. It was solid green. The lettering was the white. The original book was a 74 sc mkII. I thought only 73s had the capella lugs. Was it a carry over from 73 or something?

Anybody here have a frameset they want to let go? I have a full shimano 600 arabesque group that I think would look great on 1. Im a 32" standover
Old 03-19-10, 10:00 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by king*stink
he told me to come take a look at it. I took the 45 minute trip up the highway. I got there and looked at the bike. The man said it was sold 20 minutes earlier and the buyer was coming back after it. A big waste of my time and a huge disapointment.

It was a mkII but it had the capella lugs. It was solid green. The lettering was the white. The original book was a 74 sc mkII. I thought only 73s had the capella lugs. Was it a carry over from 73 or something?

Anybody here have a frameset they want to let go? I have a full shimano 600 arabesque group that I think would look great on 1. Im a 32" standover
Oh that is such a bummer: If the seller told you to come, it is incumbent on him to show it to you before inviting another. (I had the same thing happen recently on a minty vintage Trek road bike.)

I just checked the 74 Raleigh MkII catalog, and to my surprise I learned that my Green SC (pictured earlier in this thread) is a '73 also, since it too has the Capella lugs...
The one the seller sold out from under you was an interesting transitional 74 bike, with 73 features on it. Kinda cool.

I cannot help you with a Frame, but as I stated in the preamble to this thread - SC's are still attainable for those of us who really want one. I don't think it will always be that way though - they are truly great bikes and will get discovered one day. - Except for the weight, I think the frames are virtual clones of the International, but if that weight makes a difference to you, a big portion of it can be dispensed with the substitution of any decent alloy crank.

- A

We will look forward to seeing yours one day soon
Old 03-19-10, 11:18 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
King - Funny I bought a SC frame last fall because I had an Arabesque group but I ended up deciding to build it up stock b/c I love the Cyclone GT and barcons so much.

As auchencrow mentioned, they come up quite often and typically at reasonable prices. I snagged a complete and all original (minus the back wheel) 76? two weeks ago for a flippable price. I'm still trying to figure out how to shrink the frame by 2-4 cm if anybody has any suggestions...

I posted this in another thread where I complained about buying another SC that didn't fit but couldn't pass up. This is how it looked when I rode it home in work clothes/shoes sans gloves in the freezing cold. It popped up on CL and I left work and hopped on the train soon as I spotted it.

Picture it with proper tires, bar tape and a properly mounted seat clamp....
Old 03-20-10, 05:34 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

auchencrow, that's really nice. What tires are they?

Old 03-20-10, 05:40 AM
king*stink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have cyclone gt and v-gt goodies sitting here waiting for a bike. I just love looking at the arabesque stuff but the sumtour does shift much nicer
Old 03-20-10, 07:12 AM
auchencrow

Here is an 81 SC for sale on eBay for just $.99 !
(- I don't think it will stay that way - as noted previously, eBay is where these things are starting to take off. Better scour those garage sales while U can)

The paint shows some honest use, but this one has Cyclones, Concave Weinmann rims (nice touring rims surely), and barcons! Pretty tall bike for those who need it.

(Click on the Pic for the auction listing)

Last edited by auchencrow; 03-20-10 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-20-10, 07:21 AM
auchencrow

auchencrow, that's really nice. What tires are they?
Hi Noglider - Thank you. - The tires on my Red Supercourse TT are the non Tour-Guard Panaracer Pasellas you had recommended. They are WONDERFUL tires, just like their slightly more expensive TG cousins.

With a readily available supply of superior, inexpensive tires like these, I'll never understand why people switch out their 27" wheels for 700c's. (Good thing for me though - just picked up a NOS pair of mavic Module E clincher rims CHEAP! )
Old 03-20-10, 07:29 AM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars
King - ...
I posted this in another thread where I complained about buying another SC that didn't fit but couldn't pass up. This is how it looked when I rode it home in work clothes/shoes sans gloves in the freezing cold. It popped up on CL and I left work and hopped on the train soon as I spotted it.

Picture it with proper tires, bar tape and a properly mounted seat clamp....
Hi 4Rings6Stars - I well remember your account of that evening - worth freezing your *** off for, I would say. - Is it too soon to see another pic with proper tires, bar tape and a properly mounted seat clamp?
-A
Old 03-20-10, 08:39 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 85 Posts
What kind of brake hoods would've come on a '72? The white Carlton hoods? Anybody know where I can pick up a pair? I'm itching to get it on the road and that, along with an appropriate set of wheels, are my major roadblocks at the moment.

Also, anybody know size seatpost is proper? Since so many other parts on it have been changed out already, I'm inclined to switch to cotterless cranks and an alloy post.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-10, 09:40 AM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by bibliobob
What kind of brake hoods would've come on a '72? The white Carlton hoods? Anybody know where I can pick up a pair? I'm itching to get it on the road and that, along with an appropriate set of wheels, are my major roadblocks at the moment.

Also, anybody know size seatpost is proper? Since so many other parts on it have been changed out already, I'm inclined to switch to cotterless cranks and an alloy post.

Thanks!
Seatpost for 71-77 Super Course = 26.4mm (for Reynolds 531 straight gauge)

It would have had white Carlton hoods. These held up extremely well but I've not seen any for sale.

If you can't find the Weinmann wheels, consider Arayas as a cheaper, readily available substitute. The rims look pretty close.
Old 03-20-10, 11:37 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Such great bikes...and its nice to see em built up differently

I've loved mine from the moment I set eyes on her.

originally 'Coffee' color, the paint was destroyed when i got it so did a repaint in '08..now its 'Creme' with brown lug lining...my favorite ride by far.
Likes For Zaphod Beeblebrox:
Old 03-20-10, 11:38 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Here is an 81 SC for sale on eBay for just $.99 !
(- I don't think it will stay that way - as noted previously, eBay is where these things are starting to take off. Better scour those garage sales while U can)

The paint shows some honest use, but this one has Cyclones, Concave Weinmann rims (nice touring rims surely), and barcons! Pretty tall bike for those who need it.

(Click on the Pic for the auction listing)

Fork Looks Bent...but the parts are worth more than .99
Old 03-20-10, 11:59 AM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Fork Looks Bent...but the parts are worth more than .99
Zaphod - You are right - The angle does look odd now that you mention it.
Old 03-20-10, 12:05 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
its a bummer but if you can get it for .99c (or relatively cheap) the Crankset, Barcons and Cyclone Rear Derailleur are worth it even if everything else is junk.
Old 03-20-10, 07:59 PM
soonerbills
soonerbills

Bikes: 25 at last count. One day I'll make a list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alrighty... here's another SC that I picked today off CL I don't know what year but here's the numbers...302672 and a 11 on the BB
63.5 cm frame is scratched, but the bike is not to badly worn. Nervex cranks, Shimano derails but the shifters look like Suntour Power Ratchets.
Non concave Weinman rims,brakes and a CB stem. is that all original?

Old 03-20-10, 08:05 PM
king*stink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn where do you guys find them I've seen 1 in my area in the last 4 months. Somebody find 1 for me. I'm in Dayton Ohio bthis isn't a very big bike town so things don't pop up so often
Old 03-20-10, 09:31 PM
Mr_Christopher
insert witty comment here

Bikes: 2016 Specialized AWOL, 2011 Electra Bike Ticino, '09 Trek 7.2 FX, Peugeot UE 18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toytech
I admit I bought it to flip, but a great ride none the less.
Have you flipped it yet? I am wanting to buy a Super Course :-)
Old 03-20-10, 11:03 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by soonerbills
... Nervex cranks, Shimano derails but the shifters look like Suntour Power Ratchets.
Non concave Weinman rims,brakes and a CB stem. is that all original?
Hi soonerbills -
Looks like a 71-72 to me. I beleive the Shimano DRs/Suntour changers, saddle and foam padded bar tape later additions.
The rims, crank, GB stem and brakes are original, with the possible exception of the hoods.

What is the sticker on the seat tube?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.