Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin Performance Condition

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin Performance Condition

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-22, 11:26 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
According to Garmin Connect, my track session on Tuesday recorded a Garmin training score of 239. The primary benefit was anaerobic capacity with a 3.4 for aerobic and 3.5 for anaerobic. My performance factor started with a +2.5 and flipped to -2.5 during the warmup. Garmin predicted a 33 hour recovery time.

Power TSS based upon my FTP setting was 147.

So what was the workout and how did I feel?

We start with an unstructured warmup for 20 min and then to a structured pace line warmup. After 20 laps, the coach comes out with a motor and there is a 20 lap motor burnout where each rider gets 2 laps on the motor and then has to pull off and go to the end. My performance factor flipped from 2.5 to minus 2.5 when the motor accelerated the pace line and remained unchanged for 3 hours.

Recovery and 4 jumps 2 seated and 2 standing.

Recovery and then 5, flying 3 man team sprints, diving off the banking versus a standing start. I was in the 3 position. 2 sprints then 5 minutes of recovery between and then 15 minutes of recovery and go back out and do two more and then recovery and do one more. The workout lasted 3 hours.

How did I feel. I had great legs and it was one of those chainless days. I rode in 98 gear inches. This was the first time I rode the 3 rd position in team sprint and it is hard. When the 2nd guy pulls up, the goal is to accelerate the pace and hold it to the finish for 250 meters. I was jacked up for at least 4 hours after finishing at 7PM and I slept okay but not great. I felt okay the next day but I was happy not to be on the bike.

I think in aggregate, Garmin got the training effect and recovery about right. But the performance factor was meh and no matter what the initial condition of the PF would have been, I was doing the workout.

I did a time trial bike endurance with some threshold workout and the performance factor jumped to 5 post warmup and 1/2 way through the first effort. It peaked at 6 and went back to 5. I had solid legs and Garmin got the training effect and post ride recovery about right.

I cannot match up PF and how my legs feel on any given workout.
Thanks for that, made me miss your track.
Old 07-27-22, 08:24 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I see the performance condition, if it pops up, and ignore it. The reason is that I have a prescribed workout and I am doing it come hell or high water. And sometimes, the performance conditions shows a negative number.

I also get a report at the end of the ride which is generally totally bogus. I am sure other Garmin 830 users get the same report. I ignore that one was well or use it for comic relief.

I send in reports to my coach who reviews them and sees me riding at least once per week.
That’s pretty much me. I work with a coach who is reviewing all the data, and prescribing the workouts.

that said there are some days you just can’t hit your zones and finish the prescribed work. If you’re just a bit fatigued or having a weak day you need to suck it up push through and do the work.

However, if you’re really cooked, or sick, trying to suck it up and push through may be counterproductive and you should call it a day and pedal home and recover.

Finding that balance is hard. Titratiing power, heart rate, perceived effort and recent history helps. It seems possible that Garmin’s performance condition is one more data point to help with that.

So far though, I’m pretty much looking at it for amusement, nd not trying to let a bad pc number be a crutch or a self fulfilling prophesy.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.