Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Key features missing from all free bicycle apps?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Key features missing from all free bicycle apps?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-22, 12:01 AM
SkinnyLad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
I do what you're asking with Garmin. I have a 130+ unit on the handlebars, recording GPS data and pedal power-meter data. I create segments on the webportal for Garmin Connect. These segments can be loaded, selectively, to the 130+ headunit. While riding, the unit advises me that I am approaching a segment, and, when I'm "on segment," it tells me whether I'm ahead or behind my best recorded pace by X number of seconds.
Garmin looks like a solid training aid and what you describe is very similar to what I'm looking for. I wish there was some lightweight alternative with tracking that worked using only your phone and it's GPS as a standalone app.
Old 09-21-22, 12:16 AM
SkinnyLad

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Have you looked at the extra features available in Cyclemeter? I don't have it, but I'm assuming some of what you want may be available for a price.Cyclemeter also plays nicely with Strava, Facebook, Twitter and more, while importing and exporting routes is also easy.
  • Price Free (in-app upgrades available for $9.99 each)
Of all the free ones I tried and paid ones I have looked into, cyclemeter might be the closest to what I'm looking for but it is difficult to know if the premium extras would actually provide the functionality and UI I'm lacking. I'll try to find some reviews and screenshots, thanks!
Old 09-21-22, 03:17 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts
(when paired) To be able to use the phone in order to easily tap N plot on the spot routing, amending active status on the fly for that route. Giving the default option to save that route file as a copy or to override the existing file (depending how the user setup the config defaults) .
Old 09-23-22, 06:37 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I think they need to figure out a way for the mapping utilities like RWGPS or Strava to integrate incident reporting. So if on a ride you encounter a problem, you can report it and it would appear as a small icon specific to the type of incident. If multiples happen in the same area, the icon would accrue a little number. I thought the driving app Waze does something like this.

Then overlay this with the already existing DOT data on traffic volume per road color code.

So when planning a route, you can see what you're getting into. Majority of fatal and serious bike accidents in towns sometimes occur in pretty concentrated areas.

So stuff like this:
-tire destroying debris in bike lane
-doorings near hit
-hits/near hits
-high/dangerous traffic
-dogs
-extreme poor road condition worse than expected
-close passes
Old 09-23-22, 02:22 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
If it's so simple to create that it's not worth paying for, then maybe OP should create it himself.
Old 09-23-22, 03:03 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
i recently inherited my daughters android phone. i might delve into this investigation once again. the iphone en devour was an expensive outlay and so i abandoned that quickly.
Old 09-23-22, 04:13 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
We have got enough motorist distracted by their cell phones while driving. Do we need cyclist to be distracted with too much real time info about their ride?
Agree. No need to be distracted by real time info other than a quick glance at the bike computer for current distance and speed.
Old 09-24-22, 11:21 AM
SkinnyLad

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
If it's so simple to create that it's not worth paying for, then maybe OP should create it himself.
An app like this is never simple to create. It's the app itself that I'd like to be simple, just core functionality, well implemented but lightweight and with a good UI.
Most people seem to want something else though, which is why such an app probably doesn't exist, there's simply not enough money in it. I couldn't create anything as I have no skills in this area, but I happen to know someone who does. To get him talked into making an app just for me and some odd hundred people out there is a tough sell but he's got a long history in open source so who knows.
Old 09-24-22, 11:42 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
We have got enough motorist distracted by their cell phones while driving. Do we need cyclist to be distracted with too much real time info about their ride?
I know what times I've been hitting certain points on my routes. So just looking briefly at my timer, I know if I'm ahead or behind what my previous rides have been. And a glance at the timer prior to starting a segment and when finishing a segment also lets me know how well I did that segment.
Originally Posted by prj71
Agree. No need to be distracted by real time info other than a quick glance at the bike computer for current distance and speed.
This may sound shocking, but y'all don't seem to know what the hell you're talking about. The data that he's looking for is primarily conveyed by a) +/- seconds (vs previous and/or PR) and maybe b) distance to go; it's hardly decoding hieroglyphics. In practice, it's *less* distracting, as it's certainly as glanceable as MPH and time/distance, but requires less by way of recall and mental math.
Old 03-02-23, 03:39 AM
SkinnyLad

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Half a year later and I'm stoked to announce that I've been busy helping out in making just the kind of app I was looking for in my previous posts. I do most of the UI design as well as provide the developer with useful test data.
The app still needs some polishing and features for the division of a track into legs/segments but basic tracking and racing seems pretty solid and I already use the prototype exclusively for all my rides. Here's a taste of the interface so far:

Recording a new route

Home view with track selection

Racing mode comparing progress with track average (green counter beside timer)

I'd love to hear what other bikers think of this project.
Likes For SkinnyLad:
Old 03-02-23, 05:00 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinnyLad
I think it is great, not to mention a delightful smackdown of all of the pessimistic sanctimonious nay-sayers and incorrigible vultures of ill-omen.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-02-23, 11:19 AM
spelger

Half a year later and I'm stoked to announce that I've been busy helping out in making just the kind of app I was looking for in my previous posts.
happy to see you working on something. you have a long way to go yet but keep on it. need a map. took me quite a bit of time to get a map into mine.

looks like phone...iphone or android?
Old 03-02-23, 11:23 AM
spelger

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I think it is great, not to mention a delightful smackdown of all of the pessimistic sanctimonious nay-sayers and incorrigible vultures of ill-omen.
what? not sure about all the nay-sayers and smack-down business but i recall this thread starting about mid last year and i think most were put off by the hoity-toity dissatisfaction of what was available in free apps. like developers are supposed to just put down what they are doing (family or owrk) and bow to the demands of a non-paying user. as a developer i know i was, all this work takes time as i'm sure the OP now is learning.
Old 03-02-23, 12:05 PM
SkinnyLad

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spelger
happy to see you working on something. you have a long way to go yet but keep on it. need a map. took me quite a bit of time to get a map into mine.

looks like phone...iphone or android?

Depends on what you're after. Since I specifically did not want a typical "google maps"-based layout it's pretty much perfect for me already. Only the "checkpoint" functionality is incomplete, but I've been told the most difficult bits (code wise) in this whole enterprise have already been dealt with.

My developer guy also says it's done in a way so it should works on both android and iphone, but I'm using it on an android phone.

Have you done an app, cool! Any chance of finding it on an app store somewhere?
Old 03-02-23, 12:36 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
This "free" app is going to cost them thousands of dollars in time.
Old 03-02-23, 01:58 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

what? not sure about all the nay-sayers and smack-down business but i recall this thread starting about mid last year and i think most were put off by the hoity-toity dissatisfaction of what was available in free apps. like developers are supposed to just put down what they are doing (family or owrk) and bow to the demands of a non-paying user. as a developer i know i was, all this work takes time as i'm sure the OP now is learning.
I read it for the first time in the middle of the night (insomnia) and I think (admittedly I was a bit bleary-eyed) the OP's question was rather mischaracterized, to put it more neutrally.
Old 03-02-23, 02:02 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

The idea behind "free" software is that the source-code is freely available to use and/or alter as desired, without restrictions.

It isn't about mooching.

Some companies pay their employees to write free software. In academic environments, it is normally the case that one makes results, including code, freely available. I understand that isn't identical to apps for a phone, but the grotesque mischaracterization of the free software ideal is what I found most objectionable, including the ideas that the products are by necessity inferior, and that whoever writes such software is a chump.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 03-02-23 at 02:16 PM.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-02-23, 02:07 PM
spelger

Depends on what you're after. Since I specifically did not want a typical "google maps"-based layout it's pretty much perfect for me already. Only the "checkpoint" functionality is incomplete, but I've been told the most difficult bits (code wise) in this whole enterprise have already been dealt with.

My developer guy also says it's done in a way so it should works on both android and iphone, but I'm using it on an android phone.

Have you done an app, cool! Any chance of finding it on an app store somewhere?
no, post 14. windows app since that is what i know. might look into android though.
Old 03-02-23, 02:52 PM
njkayaker

The idea behind "free" software is that the source-code is freely available to use and/or alter as desired, without restrictions.
"Free" is ambiguous. The way you are using the term is basically jargon (used by a limited group).

Most people are going to see it a "doesn't cost me money".

Software can be "free" (no cost) but not be "open source".

https://opensource.stackexchange.com...e-as-in-speech
Old 03-02-23, 03:03 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by njkayaker
"Free" is ambiguous. The way you are using the term is basically jargon (used by a limited group).

Most people are going to see it a "doesn't cost me money".

Software can be "free" (no cost) but not be "open source".

https://opensource.stackexchange.com...e-as-in-speech

Nothing ambiguous about it: https://www.fsf.org

The GPL (GNU Public License) is recognized by everyone who writes software, as well as the courts.

Not all open-source software is licensed under GPL. However anything licensed under GPL is free and open-source. (There are many other open-source licensing standards.)

If you use any of the unix command-line shells, python, ssh, ssl (which you are doing to read this website), anything linux or freeBSD, and a vast number of other programs, you are using free and open-source software. No one in their right mind would refer to that terminology as obscure jargon.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 03-02-23 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-02-23, 04:42 PM
spelger

there is open source SW and there is free SW. the two are not the same. open source is typically source code which becomes the downloader's responsibility to compile,link, and use, sometimes an exe is already there. free SW is just that, free SW that can be immediately used. there is plenty of that in google store and apple store. want open source code? dive into gitHub.
Old 03-02-23, 05:10 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Nope.

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html
Old 03-02-23, 05:46 PM
spelger

i'm a developer. but what do i know.
Old 03-02-23, 05:56 PM
njkayaker

Nothing ambiguous about it: https://www.fsf.org
The ambiguity is well-known by people familiar with all this! It's the basis of the "free as in beer versus free as in speech" phrase that has been used for years when talking about the difference.

The GPL (GNU Public License) is recognized by everyone who writes software, as well as the courts.

Not all open-source software is licensed under GPL. However anything licensed under GPL is free and open-source. (There are many other open-source licensing standards.)

If you use any of the unix command-line shells, python, ssh, ssl (which you are doing to read this website), anything linux or freeBSD, and a vast number of other programs, you are using free and open-source software. No one in their right mind would refer to that terminology as obscure jargon.
No one in their right mind...
I didn't say it was "obscure".

The vast majority of people here are not going to be familiar with FSF and the fairly-specific meaning they apply to "free" (or any of the rest of you mentioned).

The vast majority of people here are going to see "free" as meaning "no cost to me".

So, you managed to prove my point.

If you use any of the unix command-line shells, python, ssh, ssl (which you are doing to read this website),...
This is ridiculous. Very few of the people using this website will have any idea about what any of this means!.

Last edited by njkayaker; 03-03-23 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-02-23, 09:17 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Half a year later and I'm stoked to announce that I've been busy helping out in making just the kind of app I was looking for in my previous posts. I do most of the UI design as well as provide the developer with useful test data.
The app still needs some polishing and features for the division of a track into legs/segments but basic tracking and racing seems pretty solid and I already use the prototype exclusively for all my rides. Here's a taste of the interface so far:

Recording a new route

Home view with track selection

Racing mode comparing progress with track average (green counter beside timer)

cool project.

the “cadence” cycling app does a really great job of this for any strava segments that you’ve starred and synced. instead of a map, it shows a cross section of the ride with your current position, best, and either last or average. it’s really fun racing yourself. at any time you can switch from the live segment race to any of the other data screens.

a lot of the complexity is probably in automatically figuring out which segments you’re possible running, given that GPS coordinates certainly don’t exactly match ever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.