Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What road bike do you have?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What road bike do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-05, 12:19 PM
koine2002
Car(e) Free!

Bikes: Homebuilt Nashbar Steel MTB; 1988 Schwinn Premis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

199x Bridgestone RB-4. Shimano 600 equipped. I picked this up on Monday for $100 at my LBS. I'll get something newer later, this is just to get me back on the road, since I've just been doing MTB. I've got black hoods on order from Loose Screws and I've got a 20yr old Concor to replace that big old gel saddle. So far I've put about 100 miles on it through the week.
Old 08-19-05, 01:21 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt_1
bullet proof i tell you! great for downtown
Quite a steerer tube you got there!

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 08-19-05, 02:20 PM
Matt_1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cydewaze
Quite a steerer tube you got there!
yeah i can't bring myself to spend 25 bones on shortening it. Not on a student budget anyway..
Old 08-19-05, 06:40 PM
89MustangGX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, being new here, I guess this is as good a place as any to get started.

I am new to cycling. A couple months ago I started out by picking up this 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2. It needed a lot of cleanup and tuning up. Replaced some of the wearables, and off I went. Not pretty, but a good start I figured. I rode this for a little while, until I decided I wanted something a little newer, and I especially liked the idea of STI shifters.

I found this bike for sale and couldn't pass it up for the price. It's a 2003 Cannondale R600. It needed quite a bit of cleanup as well, but I'm really enjoying it. It has mostly 105 components with an Ultegra front derailleur (changed by previous owner). Other Cannondale components mixed in as well. Has a carbon front fork, which seems nice as well. Previous owner also changed seat to a Specialized seat. I am not sure if the bike is really the right size for me, or maybe I need to change the seat, but I have yet to become really comfortable on longer rides (20+ miles). Sounds like another thread unless someone wants to hijack this one (I did use a couple fitment websites before purchase and it seems pretty close so I'm not completely in the dark as far as fitment goes).

BTW, I put the new tires on as well - Michelin Carbons, not sure how much I care for the yellow stripe, but they seem to be good tires all around. I think I have about 250 miles on this bike so far. Since the picture I have been able to get at the rear cassette better and clean it up real nice (I like clean) and also remove the shield that goes between the hub and cassette (I figured it was like the reflectors that were still on it when I bought it -- they had to go as well).

If anyone has anything to offer about my bike(s), or take a stab at fitment info - I welcome the comments.
Old 08-19-05, 08:14 PM
geneman
rider of small bicycles

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89MustangGX
Well, being new here, ... snip ... - I welcome the comments.
Hey Mustang ... how in the name of God do you ride on the hoods of your Schwinn? They're so far over the top that it looks like you'd have to torque the crap out of your wrists just to touch them.

Also, how much did you pay for the Cannondale? ... just curious.

Mark
Old 08-19-05, 08:24 PM
89MustangGX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geneman
Hey Mustang ... how in the name of God do you ride on the hoods of your Schwinn? They're so far over the top that it looks like you'd have to torque the crap out of your wrists just to touch them.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

The simple answer about the bars is ... I don't (didn't). I had no idea about hand positioning when I was riding that, just basically thought I was uncomfortable and needed to get used to it. Low and behold -- I buy the Cannondale and this new position on top of the hoods appears, and the rest is history.

As for the price -- I paid $600. It still seems like a lot of money to me (well, until I look at high-end bikes), but compared to other used bikes and what I was seeing new in the store at what I think is comparable quality, I think I'd be hard pressed to find more bike for the money.

Adam
Old 08-19-05, 08:35 PM
geneman
rider of small bicycles

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89MustangGX

As for the price -- I paid $600. It still seems like a lot of money to me (well, until I look at high-end bikes), but compared to other used bikes and what I was seeing new in the store at what I think is comparable quality, I think I'd be hard pressed to find more bike for the money.

Adam

You got a good deal. Enjoy your Cannondale and get out there and ride!!!

Mark
Old 08-19-05, 08:40 PM
89MustangGX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You got a good deal. Enjoy your Cannondale and get out there and ride!!!

Mark
Longest ride yet planned for tomorrow - 45 miles. It's been a steady diet of 20's with some 35's mixed in, time for a little more I think. Never could have imagined it when I got on a bike a couple months ago and decided to ride a little.

Thanks.

Adam
Old 08-19-05, 11:40 PM
NextDollarAfter

Bikes: Gazelle Tour De L'Avenir, Iro BFSSFG, Motobecane Fantom CX, Redline Monocog 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt_1
yeah i can't bring myself to spend 25 bones on shortening it. Not on a student budget anyway..

you know you wanna
Old 08-20-05, 11:07 AM
orguasch
riding a Pinarello Prince

Bikes: Pinarello, Prince and an FP5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mark,
I am with you man, as for the Cannondale, I think he got a good deal. now time to ride the bike
Oscar

Mark
Old 08-20-05, 09:05 PM
89MustangGX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by orguasch
Mark,
I am with you man, as for the Cannondale, I think he got a good deal. now time to ride the bike
Oscar
Thanks Oscar.

Off-topic, but as far as my ride today went - I didn't eat well before the ride, which I am learning is more important than I thought. But I did hydrate well, went through 4 bottles of water and felt good as far as that goes -- it was an easy 90+ today, so I definitely needed it! And to top it all off, when my 'mentor' gave me the choice mid-way through the ride of sticking with the planned route or hitting some of the toughest hills around - I went for the hills. I am definitely feeling it, but I feel great about the whole thing. Ended up being just over 50 miles. My new best.

BTW - I've been trying to stick with 20 or 35 miles on a trail after work a couple times a week and a more challenging ride on the weekends. I'm definitely trying to get out and ride.
Old 08-21-05, 09:55 PM
alxra
I hate hate crimes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by painchain
I have a Specialized Tarmac Pro, I love it. I ride it all the time. I have a Trek Madone 5.9SL as well, but never ride it. I find it a bit stiff, but I do love the bike.
I pulled the trigger and just bought a Tarmac Comp today. Hopefully the old ladies on their beach cruisers won't be able to pass me for too long. I'm going to ride the $hi+ out of it!
Old 08-23-05, 01:02 AM
Biker-Mike
Bike for Life

Bikes: '05 Fuji Roubiax Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All been reading the forums for a while enjoying everything I have been reading.

I have been seeking a new bike for some time to replace my trusty ol' Diamond Back I have had for 13 years since my bud (bigskymacadam) got into biking and got me re-energized into biking again. (Thanks Bro!).

After lots of searching and internet researching I decided I had to get a '05 Fuji Roubaix Pro. Great Features and Bang for the buck! This is a wonderful bike for sure. I have put 300 miles on it in 3 weeks and it has been wonderful. This bike rides bumps, curves, hills (up and down) and of coarse the smooth roads (when I find them) just wonderfully! I just wanted to share my great experience with this bike.

https://www.fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=9
Old 08-23-05, 08:10 AM
Hill_Kiler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This bike is an awesome cycle for the money. No it is not ultra light, it is not top line, it is not all a cyclist would dream of. BUT, it is a terrific starter bike and a good trainer as well as a wonderful bike to learn bike mechanics on (i have never had to fix it, I just tore it apart to learn!). Well worth the money.

WINDSOR LEEDS

FRAME- DURA-FORTE CHROME-MOLY
FORK- DURA-FORTE CHROME-MOLY
CRANK- CYCLONE 52/42/30T
PEDALS- ALLOY ROAD W/ TOE CLIPS
FRT DER- SHIMANO SORA
RR DER- SHIMANO SORA
SHIFTER- SHIMANO SORA 24-SPEED STI
FREE WHEEL- SR 11-28T
RIM- ALEX ALLOY 36
HUBS- ALLOY QR
TIRES MAXXIS 700x23
BRAKESET SHIMANO SORA
H/BAR ALLOY DROPBAR
STEM ALLOY 1 INCH QUILL
SEATPOST ALLOY 300mm
SADDLE VELO
WEIGHT 22.1lb
MSRP $770, BIKES DIRECT PRICE $280
Old 08-23-05, 09:04 AM
no underpants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SC Roadster. Nice Profile stuff up front. 105 drivetrain. Just put it all together a few months ago. 18lbs. Love it!

Old 08-23-05, 12:48 PM
hi565
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no underpants
SC Roadster. Nice Profile stuff up front. 105 drivetrain. Just put it all together a few months ago. 18lbs. Love it!

sweet.
Old 08-23-05, 04:19 PM
djgonzo007
Sprint the hills!

Bikes: Klein Q-Pro w/Campy, Dahon MU P8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hi565
sweet.
Word!
Old 08-23-05, 06:24 PM
Longfemur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1998 custom "Gilles Bertrand". Columbus Brain frame, lugged. Columbus steel fork. Campy Veloce racing triple. Ambrosio wheels, 3ttt stem and bars. It's a sport tourer. It can easily take 28mm tires and it has fender braze-ons, but other than that, it's like a road racer with a longer rear triangle. It's not as light as even cheap aluminum production bikes these days, but, ohhh, that ride!
Old 08-23-05, 06:31 PM
goldfish
the great shark hunt

Bikes: 2005 Cervélo Soloist w/ Campag Chorus (06/07 parts mix), 2001 Cervélo Prodigy w/ Campag Centaur '06, Giant Bowery Fixed-Gear, old steel black '70s bike waiting for FG build, trusty red SS mountain bike waiting for snow-bike build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ that is a stylin bike right there, i love it ^^^
Old 08-23-05, 08:38 PM
hmai18
Cannondale Shill

Bikes: '06 CAAD8, SRAM Rival/Force and fixie of unknown origin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another Ottawan
Old 08-23-05, 10:00 PM
goldfish
the great shark hunt

Bikes: 2005 Cervélo Soloist w/ Campag Chorus (06/07 parts mix), 2001 Cervélo Prodigy w/ Campag Centaur '06, Giant Bowery Fixed-Gear, old steel black '70s bike waiting for FG build, trusty red SS mountain bike waiting for snow-bike build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[patriotism]WOOO CANADA RULES[/patriotism]
Old 08-23-05, 10:54 PM
KeithA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Longfemur,

That's an absolutely beautiful bike!!!
Old 08-24-05, 08:36 AM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is an updated photo of my 2005 Jamis Quest. After almost 3000 miles. The Neuvation M28Aero wheels are new 500 miles ago. The original Velomax Vista wheels are still going strong. I won the Neuvations at the BikeJournal.com ReUnion gathering in July. Still love'n it!
-------------------
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia
Old 08-24-05, 06:08 PM
hmai18
Cannondale Shill

Bikes: '06 CAAD8, SRAM Rival/Force and fixie of unknown origin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Updated, because I wanted to show off my bike while it was pimping (clean) white bar tape:

Old 08-24-05, 06:41 PM
goldfish
the great shark hunt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That cannondale is surely somthing to be proud of.

how are the wheels? i've been sort of curious about the new shimano wheels for some time now.

cheers and enjoy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.