Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Theft prevention: Deface make and model?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Theft prevention: Deface make and model?

Old 09-26-22, 09:40 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by smasha
Since I personally know several people who have had bikes stolen over the last few months, this has me thinking of two things:
  1. If my new bike wasn't already mostly built up, I'd consider taking the frame to an auto-body shop, and have them strip off the old paint, and re-paint it to look like rusted pipes. Any bike thief would see that with a decent lock on it, and turn away in disgust and/or laughter. My bike would be safe. Maybe it's worth the hassle to take it all apart and do this?
You obviously haven't priced a custom wet paint job lately
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-26-22, 10:15 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,149 Times in 1,313 Posts
If you just want to make it look like a low budget ugly bike, just buy some rattle cans and paint it fully assembled. And don’t use masking tape.

Pick a color, or two, you really like and use silver, or better yet gold, for the components and chain. Get some cardboard to shield the overspray.

Of course, you should at least ride it to make sure you like it before reducing the resale value to zero.

John
Old 09-26-22, 11:31 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Get some cardboard to shield the overspray.
Or don't, if you want to make it look like a POS bike.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-26-22, 06:24 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
I wouldn't want to deface the bike in any way. I would just be careful where I was leaving the bike unattended. For me, the bike stays with me at all times. This limits the chance of it being stolen. At home, the bike stays in an unused bedroom and is always locked to a bolt drilled into a beam.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 09-26-22, 06:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,426 Times in 2,826 Posts
Spray paint the whole thing,wheels and all, white and it will look like you stole it from a memorial and the creepy and poor taste factor will probably deter anyone with half a brain.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-26-22, 06:34 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Spray paint the whole thing,wheels and all, white and it will look like you stole it from a memorial and the creepy and poor taste factor will probably deter anyone with half a brain.
I've seen that done. Or the rider stole a memorial. I'm not sure which.
Old 09-26-22, 07:27 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
That's the problem. A lot of thieves don't have half a brain to work with.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 09-26-22, 08:03 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
As a person who has a customer base that is mostly drug addicted, low income, no income, homeless persons, with no moral compunction against theft, I'll let you in on a little secret:
Where I am, things aren't that bad, yet.

eg, it's exceedingly rare that lights and saddles and wheels get stolen. Whole bikes will get stolen, and that's becoming disturbingly common, but this fits a pattern of "professional thieves" operating in the area. It also fits a pattern of most people using crappy locks, and using the poorly.

If I'm understanding you correctly, are you saying that a beater franken-bike, or a bike that looks like a beater franken-bike, is less likely to be recovered than a bike that can be identified by make/model? That's something I hadn't considered. If that's the case, then a "rust" paint-job may not be what I want.
Old 09-26-22, 08:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
That's the problem. A lot of thieves don't have half a brain to work with.
We have a team of crack (addicted) scientists on the case. Stay tuned.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-26-22, 08:07 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’ve been locking up bikes outside in Philadelphia for decades. And they have not been beaters. Guess how many have been stolen?

Guess how many times my touring bike has been stolen while I was asleep in my tent with the bike unlocked.

Proper precautions + situational awareness > irrationality
“It’s Not Paranoia If They Really Are Out to Get You.”

Don't make me guess; impart some wisdom on us all.
Old 09-26-22, 08:12 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts
To stop a thief, think like a thief…

If someone wants to steal an unlocked or poorly locked bike for convenience, they'll take what's convenient, no matter how good or bad it is. If someone wants a bike for the expensive parts/components, they may cut through the frame to take the bike.

Between these extremes are nice bikes, locked securely (with at least one better-than-average lock, used properly). They're not convenient to steal, so they're safe from purely opportunistic theft, but being a nice bike, someone might break a lock to steal it.

Since I personally know several people who have had bikes stolen over the last few months, this has me thinking of two things:
  1. If my new bike wasn't already mostly built up, I'd consider taking the frame to an auto-body shop, and have them strip off the old paint, and re-paint it to look like rusted pipes. Any bike thief would see that with a decent lock on it, and turn away in disgust and/or laughter. My bike would be safe. Maybe it's worth the hassle to take it all apart and do this?
  2. Since the bike is mostly built I'm thinking about just spray-painting over the make and model that's printed on the frame. That should drop the resale value of "ABC model" of "XYZ brand" to "unknown" and/or "unverifiable", which should lower the resale value enough that it's not worth the effort of busting a good lock. My bike should be safe, I think.
What does everyone else think? Any bike thieves or recovering bike thieves who can comment?

I'll also have a sticker on the bike advising that it's in a register that police have access to. I'm not sure how well that (in addition to being securely locked up) will discourage theft… I'd like to think this would discourage theft, and encourage a thief to find another target. Anecdotally, it seems that these kinds of stickers may actually reduce the chances of a bike being stolen.
Interesting concepts. If you go with option 2, please post pics.
Old 09-26-22, 08:14 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,872 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’ve been locking up bikes outside in Philadelphia for decades. And they have not been beaters. Guess how many have been stolen?

Guess how many times my touring bike has been stolen while I was asleep in my tent with the bike unlocked.

Proper precautions + situational awareness > irrationality
He did impart some wisdom. Some of us even understood it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-26-22, 08:15 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by Koyote
OP is a classic BF archetype: asks "What does everyone else think? " and then argues with anyone who disagrees with him.
No one has actually disagreed with me, in any productive way. A lot of other opinions have been presented, but almost no one has explained why they think I'm wrong; almost no one has explained why their ideas are actually better.

That's not productive disagreement, it's just a bunch of people flinging their own dogma like boogers. It's not yet degraded to ad hominems, but it's not much better than that.
Old 09-26-22, 08:23 PM
Koyote

OP is a classic BF archetype: asks "What does everyone else think? " and then argues with anyone who disagrees with him.
No one has actually disagreed with me, in any productive way.
When you define "productive" as "agrees with me," you've kind of rigged the game,
Old 09-26-22, 08:32 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 137 Posts
As a person who has a customer base that is mostly drug addicted, low income, no income, homeless persons, with no moral compunction against theft, I'll let you in on a little secret: Ain't nobody gonna ever value a shoddy looking bike. Period. That also means ain't nobody ever gonna come lookin' for it neither. Then, after they steal that "jalopy" they are going to add their own colors to it just in case you are in the neighbor hood. After that, they'll devalue it even more by trading any working bits to a buddy for some "good karma." The other scenario is any working bits will get themselves stolen while the thief sleeps. The rest will get broken through ignorance & good intentions in a random bored moment with inadequate/worn out tools in search of an "upgrade" whatever that means.

You have no idea how many times I've heard the same story: "It had brake pads when I went to sleep."...or a seat post, or a chain, or gears, or any other thing that can be removed by an Allen wrench set, a crescent wrench, a screwdriver, or a stolen pair of pliers. If it can be removed, a thief will take it. One customer even had his headset stolen

First rule: A commuter that is left outside should have a total value less than or equal to $100.
Second rule: The value of the locks should exceed the value of the bike by 50%
That's not really hard to do.
A U-lock for the front wheel to the frame.
A U-lock for the rear wheel to the frame.
A U-lock for the frame through whatever immovable object you are locking to. (If one of the above 2 locks can go through the immovable object too, that's even better.)
Finally, a cable lock through the saddle rails securing the saddle/seatpost to the seat stays.
Rule 3: Observe the bike rack. Is secured with bolts? Thieves will disassemble the rack. Park away from the bolts. Does the rack have duct tape applied to it? If so, thieves have already cut the rack and are waiting for an opportunity to remove the tape holding the rack together & the bike secured there.

Quality stolen bikes tend to stick around a while. Generally they get traded intact from junkie to junkie for drugs before eventually ending up at a drug dealers house or "vultured" wholesale at the homeless shelter. The funny thing is "ain't nobody saw nuthin'" & they eventually come to me for all manner of repair.

A bike doesn't need to be expensive to be a nice riding commuter. Any vintage rigid mountain bike with 30 years of battle scars will do. Then re-pack the wheel hubs. Spend $20 on a replacement bottom bracket. Add in some $13 friction "thumbie" shifters to dissuade any thoughts of "value" and you are good to go.
Wow! That is an education.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 09-26-22, 08:50 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

When you define "productive" as "agrees with me," you've kind of rigged the game,
No.

If someone wants to explain *why* an idea is wrong, and/or *why* other ideas are better, that's productive disagreement.

Instead, much of the discussion resembles bickering children, each insisting that their idea is best, and no one explaining why.

Also, I'm not convinced that my idea is the best, or even good. I'm not here looking for accolades, I'm here looking for discussion about what works and why. Maybe I'm in the wrong place...?
Old 09-26-22, 08:54 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Quality stolen bikes tend to stick around a while. Generally they get traded intact from junkie to junkie for drugs before eventually ending up at a drug dealers house or "vultured" wholesale at the homeless shelter. The funny thing is "ain't nobody saw nuthin'" & they eventually come to me for all manner of repair.
This has me thinking... Maybe just a splotch of orange or blue spray-paint to make the bike easier to identify?

Maybe even make it not ugly, but just conspicuous?
Old 09-26-22, 09:02 PM
Koyote

No.

If someone wants to explain *why* an idea is wrong, and/or *why* other ideas are better, that's productive disagreement.

Instead, much of the discussion resembles bickering children, each insisting that their idea is best, and no one explaining why.

Also, I'm not convinced that my idea is the best, or even good. I'm not here looking for accolades, I'm here looking for discussion about what works and why. Maybe I'm in the wrong place...?
This is what you actually asked of the forum:

What does everyone else think?
Seems like you got just what you asked for.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-26-22, 09:06 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
The line I missed in the OP was What does everyone else think? Any bike thieves or recovering bike thieves who can comment? Clearly the overwhelming majority of BF members are not in the target audience hence why we don't get it.

I have no idea if I agree or disagree with the OP, I just don't see this as something I would do. I just know I have a four year old aluminum Trek that I think the MSRP was about $1800. The Trek is far from a high end CF bike with electronic shifting but nicely maintained and a handsome bike IMHO and something I think would be attractive to a thief if I didn't take normal precautions again theft. I also regularly ride a 42 year old Takara worth about $75 to $125 that doesn't look a day over 41 that I would hate to lose more than the Trek and I like the way it looks, so it is a hard no on camouflaging it too.

Old 09-26-22, 09:11 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
the idea (of sullying) is wrong if the idea is to spend money on a bicycle for the purpose of what it is to then spend more money & effort changing it in the attempt to defeat theft &/or vandalism.
Old 09-26-22, 09:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

May the “booger” “flinging” commence!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-26-22, 11:55 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
No one has actually disagreed with me, in any productive way.
Good. Paint your bike already. Be sure to post the pics.
Old 09-27-22, 12:21 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by Troul
the idea (of sullying) is wrong if the idea is to spend money on a bicycle for the purpose of what it is to then spend more money & effort changing it in the attempt to defeat theft &/or vandalism.
If I want to buy a piece of art, I'll buy a piece of art.

I'm not buying a new bike to appreciate its aesthetics, I'm buying a new bike to get from point-A to point-B. When I'm not riding it, it will be locked up, often outside, often not where anyone is watching it.

fwiw, it's being built with almost nothing higher-specced than Deore. It'll be an good bike to ride, regardless of what the paint looks like. I've never cried when any of my commuter bikes got scratched up; if I didn't want them getting scratched up, I'd lock them in the garage and never ride them.
Likes For smasha:
Old 09-27-22, 06:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
“It’s Not Paranoia If They Really Are Out to Get You.”

0 and 0.

In fact, the only place I have had a bike stolen is from inside my house while I was home and awake.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-27-22, 06:45 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Maybe reflective tape? Maybe just duct-tape?

After a few years, removing it may damage the factory paint… So a can of spray-paint may still be the way to go. And with pictures, some spray-paint can make it easier to identify, if it does go missing.
Unless, of course, the thief also steals a can of spray paint from the local box store and repaints over your paint. I mean, why not?
Likes For Bald Paul:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.