Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Are French bikes junk?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Are French bikes junk?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-21, 05:18 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
^ I like the smell, too. Kind of a treat when changing the oil in one of the old cars.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 12-10-21, 08:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
This one is working really well for me. In fact it's my current favorite ride.

Motobecane Grand Record by John Jones, on Flickr
And its fabulous to look at.
Old 12-10-21, 09:33 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Yeah, it's hard on automatics! I'm the only one who touches my cars too, so I see any damage it might cause. I only tow with a manual car, and I do take extra care to change gear early and often (and gently!) when climbing and descending. Maybe that's another thing: automatics are more prevalent in the US. I've been thinking about a cooler for the manual transmission in my Saab. I've checked the temp a lot while hauling and it's not crazy, but I'm never really pushing it hard.
Adding the transmission cooler is a waste of money. Put in a good, synthetic fluid for better performance and smoother shifts. As far as I've ever hear, a manual pretty much can't overheat from towing. Money is better put towards making sure brakes, suspension, and fluids are as good as they should be. We plan to take a pop-up out to Montana next summer, minivan has gone 152k miles with no real repairs other then brakes so I'll be putting new, stiffer shocks and springs and new engine mounts which should make it good to go. It's previously hauled a Uhaul trailer through the Catskills loaded with cast iron and oak lumber with no troubles and could maintain 55 in 3rd going up mountains that were steep enough to add passing lanes. Manuals just don't care about load and heat.
Old 12-10-21, 10:39 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Manuals just don't care about load and heat.
that's a little too generalized. true..they're not like AT's with hydraulics, seals, and solenoids. but, whatever lube you use does care. friction is friction, and every lube has it's heat tolerance according to the formulation, and those little syncros are the most susceptible to poor/degraded lube. i know you said a good synth fluid, and it's generally on point, but not all are equal, ime. i tried M1 and amsoil in my manuals, it's just that redline really seemed the best. one tranny got better real quick, but i had to replace the other one as the wear had already gotten ahead of me. you'll know somethings up when it wants to get sticky shifting into certain gears. often the lower ones

ps. sorry. i know there's technical terms for all of this, but i'm forgetting them at the moment
pps. i do recall rotella geting high points on quality from my days of research
Old 12-11-21, 12:47 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26386 Post(s)
Liked 10,364 Times in 7,196 Posts
Of the factory bikes imported to the US, I was always impressed by Moto paint jobs.

...especially in the 70's. Whoever specced those Grand Record's and Grand Jubilee's had a good eye for color and contrast.

Old 12-11-21, 01:29 AM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Is this one still going? I thought it would be gone in a few minutes. Not much in this thread helps change my mind on that save a few lovely photos of bikes. I think it's time to decommission this one folks.
Old 12-11-21, 05:33 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 883 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
^ I like the smell, too. Kind of a treat when changing the oil in one of the old cars.
When I bought my 1960 Volvo (sorry it's not French) back in the mid 90's, it came with a leather wrapped steering wheel. It also needed a ton of work. In the course of changing all the fluids, I test drove the car with oily hands. To this day (25 years later), every time I drive the car, my hands end up smelling like gearbox oil from the leather wrap. I can live with it, but I really don't like the smell
Old 12-11-21, 12:25 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Don't worry, I am!!
Just sent some hardware and things out to Franklin for chrome. Procured a nice AVA bar for the stoker. Got to finish the stems and I need to either find or make a Lyotard pedal oil port clip - like the ones that cover the oil port on a campy hub, but for a Lyotard pedal. I'm working on some exciting stuff for the thread in the meantime, about the tandem's provenance, but it requires me to translate a couple documents from French. And I speak French, so I refuse to farm that out to any other person or software. But it's coming!

The gearbox project has been a long-term thing. It was a project before the tandem and it'll be a project after! Bike projects are like checkers and car projects are like chess, y'know?
Car repair is just less rewarding. Only thing less rewarding with cars is on the few occasions I have sublet work out, the mechanics charged crazy fees and or goofed up. Really depressing.
re-tighten the engine mounts? A different time when the serpentine belt went and the wife had to take it to a shop, where did that splash shield go? Have not used the same mechanic twice.
Have a new issue with another car, fuel leak on cold mornings, there is a TSB for it, even a parts kit... IF you live in a cold climate area, if you don't? too bad, so sad. Have parts.
Much more fun working on bicycles.
Old 12-12-21, 04:33 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Car repair is just less rewarding. Only thing less rewarding with cars is on the few occasions I have sublet work out, the mechanics charged crazy fees and or goofed up. Really depressing.
re-tighten the engine mounts? A different time when the serpentine belt went and the wife had to take it to a shop, where did that splash shield go? Have not used the same mechanic twice.
Have a new issue with another car, fuel leak on cold mornings, there is a TSB for it, even a parts kit... IF you live in a cold climate area, if you don't? too bad, so sad. Have parts.
For me it’s a trust issue the machine is going to carry my family and I at 100+ mph for hours at a time, I’m the only one I trust to insure we’re safe.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 12-12-21, 05:22 AM
poprad

Bikes: 07 Vanilla, 98 IRD road frame built up with 25th Ann DA, Surly cross check with 105 comp, 78 Raleigh Comp GS, 85 Centurionelli

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 191 Posts
Am in total agreement. Uncle Tony's garage on youtube has lamented both the shortage of knowledgeable mechs and serviceable replacement parts. I've experienced this recently myself buying an alternator from a automotive BigBox store that the shell halves were so poorly aligned you couldn't get the bolt through...and the lad at the counter tried to tell me I was installing it wrong. Sigh.

Finding a good, honest shop nowadays is like gold. I'd rather trust a politician than most wrenches these days. Also I trust but verify. I make sure they see me crawl under my rig when I get it back to check if they actually replaced the oil filter I marked, and inspect for any missing parts or bolts like your splash shield. Pretty sure most shops hate me....although I'm willing to drop significant money for repairs when I trust a place and it's something I can't do myself.

Last edited by poprad; 12-12-21 at 05:27 AM.
Old 12-12-21, 05:38 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I think that you would easily find on this forum many thread about the wonderful bikes from Motobecane, Moser, Gitane, Stella, Peugeot, Rene Herse, Singer, Follis, Mercier to name just a few.

Do some digging.
Sorry for being late to the party but why did you include Moser in the list? I am assuming you mean F Moser who started building (and is still there) in Trento Italy.

As for the OP I think he just has had bad experiences as anyone can have with any XYZ product. I have had bad French bikes as well as from other countries. The coolest bike I have (to me) is actually a Mercier Formule 1 with all steel oval aero tubing and crazy purple flake paint.
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 12-12-21, 05:51 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
...why did you include Moser in the list?
Francesco Moser, made in France

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 12-12-21, 05:57 AM
daviddavieboy

I almost bought a Chevrolet Chevette in 1978. I sat in one, and said no, not this right after sitting in the driver seat.
I had 4 of them from 86 - 92. With snow tires on all year there wasn't a fishing hole I couldn't get to and hardly a 4x4 trail it wouldn't navigate. They were terrible as a daily driver but a great winter beater and spare vehicle to abuse. My daily (summer) car back then was a 68' Newport.
Old 12-12-21, 05:59 AM
daviddavieboy

Originally Posted by cb400bill
I must have them confused with the F Moser started by the racer. Sorry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moser_Cicli

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 12-12-21 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-18-21, 04:50 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by C9H13N
The French build some of the world’s best nuclear reactors and jet aircraft, I’m sure they could make a decent bike or two.
only seing that one now. I live in the border region France/Germany and i can see Fessenheim from my balcony, just across the Rhine. Its list of malfunctions and incidents is longer than my arm. All adjacent communes in a 100km radius stock piled iodine pills for the public, in case. This is *not* standard procedure for every nuclear plant. Glad that piece of crap is getting torn down, it took them long enough. (this btw is also an area of seismic activity).

Last edited by martl; 12-18-21 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-18-21, 05:35 AM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
I grew up swimming in the Columbia River downstream from the world’s largest nuclear waste dump at the Hanford site, the problems of the French program are small potatoes in comparison.
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 12-18-21, 09:04 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Since we're on the topic of all things French, how about the awesome stuff happening in Paris for commuter cycling? It's nowhere near perfect, but there isn't any other city or mayor working so fast to be progressive. Love this fellow's channel too:

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-18-21, 12:31 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Since we're on the topic of all things French, how about the awesome stuff happening in Paris for commuter cycling? It's nowhere near perfect, but there isn't any other city or mayor working so fast to be progressive. Love this fellow's channel too:
That is very cool. in 1976, I rode across Paris while on a 2 month European bike tour, including down several of the roads shown. It was a frightening experience! The cobblestone-covered Champs Elysee and car-infested circle around the Arc de Triumph were especially scary on our fully laden bikes. It looks like things have dramatically improved.

Last edited by davester; 12-18-21 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-19-21, 01:00 AM
martl
Strong Walker

https://youtu.be/sI-1YNAmWlk

-Kurt
hose who loved the many detours about france and the french way of doing things might enjoy the newest episode of le grand tour by Msrs Fil de Clark, Jambonmond and Capitaine Ralentir. its on Amazon Prime now.
Old 12-19-21, 06:49 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by martl
hose who loved the many detours about france and the french way of doing things might enjoy the newest episode of le grand tour by Msrs Fil de Clark, Jambonmond and Capitaine Ralentir. its on Amazon Prime now.
While I'll admit that I am completely entertained by the shenanigans of these three, I'll also caution that if you have any appreciation for the nuanced truth about most vehicles' mechanical oddities - or things since ironed out by enthusiasts - you'll probably prefer the alternate title of "Clarkson, Lies, and Videotape."

-Kurt

Old 12-19-21, 12:14 PM
martl
Strong Walker

While I'll admit that I am completely entertained by the shenanigans of these three, I'll also caution that if you have any appreciation for the nuanced truth about most vehicles' mechanical oddities - or things since ironed out by enthusiasts - you'll probably prefer the alternate title of "Clarkson, Lies, and Videotape."

-Kurt
They are right about the hydropneumatic suspensions qualities, as evidenced by this bit of historic science.

Likes For martl: