Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fairness on competitions

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fairness on competitions

Old 09-01-22, 09:29 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,072 Posts
Back in the day, things were different.

Fix your own fork

https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2...the-1913-tour/
Old 09-01-22, 09:42 AM
rebel1916

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
The guy who gave him a bike wasn't a spectator. He was an employee of the racing team whose job is to have a backup bike ready in case a cyclist needs one.
Confidently incorrect
Likes For rebel1916:
Old 09-01-22, 04:02 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
Confidently incorrect
If you speak with confidence and repeat it enough times, some people will believe virtually anything.

Old 09-01-22, 04:44 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
The bike and other equipment were factors in the 1989 TdF, but LeMond's victory required a lot more than new aerodynamic equipment and an unusal bike.

So far, it looks like all equipment in most bike racing represents some sort of compromise. Someone has to choose which compromises to make for every race or stage of a stage race. If that someone makes the right choices for the conditions that actually occur, that bike will have advantages over other bikes. Winning always has elements of chance. Someone can always say, 'Should have ..., Could have ..., Would have....'

UCI could, of course, require the same bike for all riders, but that would work only if all the riders are of the same size and proportions. Even then some riders are likely to like the chosen equipment more than other riders do, and that is likely to affect performance.

What bugs me is that today's pros ride up mountains faster than I ride down what passes for hills around here. But consider this: I never raced against any pro, so who is to say who would have won? I had a hard time keeping up with my GS 2 weeks ago, so I know who I'd bet on, though.

If everything is fully equalized, every race will end with every rider having the same equalized time. Hell, even DNF can be 'equalized' away, at least in some theory....
Old 09-01-22, 08:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,361 Times in 7,196 Posts
THE YEAR WAS 2081, and everybody was finally equal. They weren't only equal before God and the law. They were equal every which way. Nobody was smarter than anybody else. Nobody was better looking than anybody else. Nobody was stronger or quicker than anybody else. All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General.
Old 09-01-22, 08:44 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
This dude named Juan Pelota once said, "it's not about the bike, it's about all the drugs", though I'm not sure he said the last part out loud.
Old 09-01-22, 10:58 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
If everything is fully equalized, every race will end with every rider having the same equalized time. Hell, even DNF can be 'equalized' away, at least in some theory....
Ummmm .... No? Yeah, I guess, if the Riders could be equalized ..... how would that work? How would the human body and grain b "equalized"? Riders can be completely different on two different days. And in Grands Tours, riders work differently on different stages. How would the UCI "equalizer" a rider who was in long, fast breakaways on seven flat stages with riders who went all-out on mountaintop finishes for two stages, with riders who sprinted really hard for one stage?

If every Bike were equalized .... well, that is the effect the UCI seeks. Sure, a team can choose an aero or a climbing frame, deep-disc or shallow rims, disc- or rim brakes .... but the bikes all have to meet a fairly high minimum weight and have basically similar frames.

The benefit there is that the pharmacists, i mean the riders, determine the outcome, not the machinery.

Of course, team budgets determine a whole to as well .... and the UCI cannot mandate minimum or maximum budgets ... like some auto-racing series used to pretend to do .... can you imagine the rampant cheating when you told the accountants and tax attorneys that they could go nuts to help win races?

But yes ... the UCI wants the ndividual riders, or the teams, and their human performances, to determine who wins.

That includes the riders, the trainers the directeurs sportifs .... but the idea is a level playing field where humans can use their bike racing abilities to win or lose races.
Old 09-01-22, 10:59 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Harrison Bergeron would have been too tall and heavy to succeed in UCI-sanctioned racing.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-02-22, 06:50 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
So if all the bikes are exactly the same, how would you decide what size they should all be?
Old 09-02-22, 03:43 PM
Pearson100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
For The Little 500 competion at Indiana University (the race that inspired the movie "Breaking Away"), all racers use the same model singlespeed Schwinn bicycle. Some modifications are allowed but must conform to certain limitations.

https://www.schwinnbikes.com/blogs/c...owl-of-cycling