Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Old 06-02-21, 04:44 PM
csrpenfab

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
50 miles yesterday from Anaheim Hills to Huntington Beach and back on the SART. Great day for it, with a nice marine layer and a bit of a headwind heading west to the beach, and a nice tailwind most of the way back. Right around the big A the marine layer quickly burned off and the wind switched direction to the normal headwind I'm used to heading east. Fair amount of homeless camps along the SART, but nothing like what it used to be.
Likes For csrpenfab:
Old 06-02-21, 08:29 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
Broke out my carbon road bike for the first time this year. What a difference from my aluminum Trek FX Hybrid. It felt like I was riding with a tail wind no matter where I was. 37 miles from Huntington Beach to Crystal Cove. Great time and great getting back out on my road bike.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 06-02-21, 10:58 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
First time in the dirt in over 20 years for both me and this bike, which I just finished converting to SS. I really enjoyed the change in scenery and mental approach from my usual road riding, and will definitely be mixing in more time on this bike along with the go-fast group road rides I also enjoy. Yesterday's ride was largely on trails that were new to me (La Canada area) - mostly wide-open singletrack with a few mildly technical ups and downs, and no sustained steep climbs. My first impression is that the 32x19 gearing will serve my needs really well, but we shall see how that goes as I range into other riding areas.
May I ask what trail you're were on? I usually ride my geared gravel bike on the El Prieto trail loop, but I wouldn't mind riding something a bit more casual with my single speed bike. Thanks!

Last edited by jonathanf2; 06-02-21 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-03-21, 10:01 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,820 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
May I ask what trail you're were on? I usually ride my geared gravel bike on the El Prieto trail loop, but I wouldn't mind riding something a bit more casual with my single speed bike. Thanks!
The pic is from the Flint Canyon Trail in La Canada. Flint Canyon Trail winds its way between the houses in the Flintridge area, and provides a very cool dirt link between Hahamonga/JPL and Cherry Canyon.

Here's more info about the La Canada trail system... https://www.lcftrails.org/new-trail-map/

Last edited by Eric F; 06-03-21 at 10:25 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 06-04-21, 10:41 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

The Rose Bowl Ride - Our local Tuesday and Thursday world championships. 10 laps of the 3.1 mile loop around the Rose Bowl and Brookside Golf Course. This ride is always heavy with fast guys riding to make each other suffer. There was a time I was one of them. These days, however, I was hoping to be able to hide in the group and survive for as many laps as possible, thinking I might last 6, but hoping for 8. Things were all going well in the first couple of laps...and then the split happened. By the time I saw what was going on ahead of me, it was too late to react, and I don't have the fitness to jump across the quickly widening gap solo. I followed a couple of guys who attempted to bridge, but with all the best horsepower up the road (about 20 guys), it was futile. I settled in with the second group (40-ish, maybe more), and surfed the 10th-15th spot. The guys around me were mostly ex-fast old guys (like me) or younger guys working on getting faster. Mercifully, the slightly more moderate pace of the second group meant I was able to complete the full distance without getting dropped, or even being in real trouble. As things ramped up approaching the finish, my old habits found me following wheels and launching a mediocre sprint among other mediocre sprinters defending our egos. Overall, it was a good ride that stretched my current level of fitness, and it was fun to play the sprint game. Total for the day: 45 miles.
Old 06-04-21, 03:17 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Took the Trek 29er with a new cromo Salsa fork up into Turnbull for its maiden voyage. Think I'm done with the old Tecktro brakes and will get some Deore M6000 to replace them. Liking the new fork. Definitely lighter, better feel, less vibration and looks better. Plenty of cyclists today without the wannabe racers mucking things up.

Only 32 miles but Garmin gave me credit for 4900 feet of climb.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/6900008733
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-04-21, 03:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Took the Trek 29er with a new cromo Salsa fork up into Turnbull for its maiden voyage. Think I'm done with the old Tecktro brakes and will get some Deore M6000 to replace them. Liking the new fork. Definitely lighter, better feel, less vibration and looks better. Plenty of cyclists today without the wannabe racers mucking things up.

Only 32 miles but Garmin gave me credit for 4900 feet of climb.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/6900008733
What does a "wannabe racer" look like?
Old 06-04-21, 03:45 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Originally Posted by Eric F
What does a "wannabe racer" look like?
To clarify, I was speaking of street racers that do not either have the skill or common sense to not race on Turnbull Cyn.

There have also been a few murders in recent months along Turnbull Cyn.
Old 06-04-21, 03:51 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

To clarify, I was speaking of street racers that do not either have the skill or common sense to not race on Turnbull Cyn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4wWwo0ax9A

There have also been a few murders in recent months along Turnbull Cyn.
Yikes. Sounds like a good reason to ride elsewhere.
Old 06-04-21, 05:16 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
That was in 2018, but the street racers have been using it since time immemorial. Was one of my dads patrol routes when he was LASD and that was in the 50's. Known for fatal wrecks even back then.

Same for a secluded place to dump bodies, without driving all the way to the SG mountains. That's a nocturnal event though so not likely a cyclist would stumble into that.
Old 06-05-21, 07:22 AM
TakingMyTime

Friday: 46 miles. From the Wetlands in Huntington Beach along the coast to the SART, North on the SART to Edinger and then East on Edinger. That section was a mess. Even though Santa Ana had some nicely marked bike lanes on Edinger there was a ton of broken glass everywhere. Then South on the San Diego Creek bike path to Newport Beach and then took the coast home to Hunting Beach Wetlands area.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 06-07-21, 07:43 AM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Friday: 46 miles. From the Wetlands in Huntington Beach along the coast to the SART, North on the SART to Edinger and then East on Edinger. That section was a mess. Even though Santa Ana had some nicely marked bike lanes on Edinger there was a ton of broken glass everywhere. Then South on the San Diego Creek bike path to Newport Beach and then took the coast home to Hunting Beach Wetlands area.
My wife & I ride a big loop connecting those 2 trails frequently. There are several ways to connect but lately my fave has become (west to east(:
Exit SART at MacArthur. South on Hyland to Sunflower. East on Sunflower it will end at Main St. South (then east) on Main St. under the 55 to Red Hill. North on Red Hill to Barranca. East on Barranca. You can take it all the way to the SDBP or I like to divert north on Armstrong to Warner. East on Warner past the blimp hangar to Tustin Ranch Road. North on TRR to Moffet. East on Moffet to the Peters Cyn Trail then south to the intersection at Barber Park.
Warner Ave. is nice until Flower St. then the bike lane ends, the right lane is narrow and the industrial traffic is bad.
BTW the Peters Cyn Trail is now completed and goes all the way from Portola to Barber park you no longer have to exit onto Harvard.
Check out google maps it's not as complicated as it sounds.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 06-07-21, 08:08 AM
TakingMyTime

Originally Posted by 2seven0
My wife & I ride a big loop connecting those 2 trails frequently. There are several ways to connect but lately my fave has become (west to east(:
Exit SART at MacArthur. South on Hyland to Sunflower. East on Sunflower it will end at Main St. South (then east) on Main St. under the 55 to Red Hill. North on Red Hill to Barranca. East on Barranca. You can take it all the way to the SDBP or I like to divert north on Armstrong to Warner. East on Warner past the blimp hangar to Tustin Ranch Road. North on TRR to Moffet. East on Moffet to the Peters Cyn Trail then south to the intersection at Barber Park.
Warner Ave. is nice until Flower St. then the bike lane ends, the right lane is narrow and the industrial traffic is bad.
BTW the Peters Cyn Trail is now completed and goes all the way from Portola to Barber park you no longer have to exit onto Harvard.
Check out google maps it's not as complicated as it sounds.
West
Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely scope out that route.. My buddies and I have been experimenting with the different paths and roads in that area lately. This Wednesday we're going to exit the SD Creek path at Campus Dr and work our way to Newport Coast drive and then down to PCH.

We've finally been getting in enough miles to be doing more and more so we're really trying to expand our experiences in that area. I think an SCR ride is coming up soon.
Old 06-11-21, 11:26 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
33 miles gravel/dirt with 3200ft vert after work..racing the sun at Lusardi loop near Black Mt.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 06-13-21, 01:46 PM
CAT7RDR

Stayed in the local Puente Hills through Turnbull Cyn and the Fullerton Rd, Cypress Ave and East-West Rd corridor.
55 miles and 5800 ft of climb and back before the afternoon heat kicked in.

No critters today except for a Husky pulling his rider on a cruiser up Skyline. Much better than an e-bike. Just keep the biscuits handy.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/36409196
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-14-21, 07:37 PM
TakingMyTime

I haven't been posting several of my rides lately since they are mostly just what I would call boring and uneventful. Today I rode straight down Ball Road from my house to Disneyland. So many of the streets I've been riding on lately are just awful. About 3 times on each ride I swear I just rode over something that was going to give me a flat. This is the reason my buddies and I have been spending more time on the roads down in Newport/Irvine area, huge smooth bike lanes that are clean and maintained.
Old 06-15-21, 12:15 AM
jorell

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
First century yesterday and feeling pretty accomplished. I picked up cycling (opened up my wallet for a new bike) last summer as a way to cope with the pandemic. My longest ride last year (until I took a break in December) was about 65 miles. Started back up again in February and finally found the time for my first century over the weekend. Rode with a neighbor who helped get me into the sport - he's got 2700+ miles and 141k feet of climbing done so far this year.

Route: Fullerton to SART, through Villa Park and up to Santiago and Silverado Canyon (most of the climbing was between miles 10-40). Down to Lake Forest, up to Irvine and then to Newport Beach via Back Bay. PCH to Huntington and Seal Beach. It was closed for a bit between Huntington and Bolsa Chica due to an accident, so we had to hop on the bike path on the beach. Beautiful views so no complaints here. From Seal Beach, up SGRT/Coyote Creek to Buena Park and home to Fullerton. 103.23 miles, 3579 feet climbed. 7h 21m moving. It was hot by the time we finished - mid-90's, but heat wasn't really a factor until the last 8-10 miles. We had a great tailwind heading up SGRT/Coyote Creek going inland and into the heat.

Anyways, that's it. I've learned a lot from the folks here but have rarely posted. I thought this was something fun to share - thanks for reading!
Old 06-17-21, 02:57 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by jorell
First century yesterday and feeling pretty accomplished. I picked up cycling (opened up my wallet for a new bike) last summer as a way to cope with the pandemic. My longest ride last year (until I took a break in December) was about 65 miles. Started back up again in February and finally found the time for my first century over the weekend. Rode with a neighbor who helped get me into the sport - he's got 2700+ miles and 141k feet of climbing done so far this year.

Route: Fullerton to SART, through Villa Park and up to Santiago and Silverado Canyon (most of the climbing was between miles 10-40). Down to Lake Forest, up to Irvine and then to Newport Beach via Back Bay. PCH to Huntington and Seal Beach. It was closed for a bit between Huntington and Bolsa Chica due to an accident, so we had to hop on the bike path on the beach. Beautiful views so no complaints here. From Seal Beach, up SGRT/Coyote Creek to Buena Park and home to Fullerton. 103.23 miles, 3579 feet climbed. 7h 21m moving. It was hot by the time we finished - mid-90's, but heat wasn't really a factor until the last 8-10 miles. We had a great tailwind heading up SGRT/Coyote Creek going inland and into the heat.

Anyways, that's it. I've learned a lot from the folks here but have rarely posted. I thought this was something fun to share - thanks for reading!
nicely done, infrequent poster you. some decent socal scenery about on that century.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-17-21, 07:48 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 593 Posts
Was down there over the weekend for my daughter's one year delayed graduation ceremony. Of course had to do my usual ride with my bff that lives down there. It was a good one Monday morning:
IMG_6431 by 2cam16, on Flickr
GPTempDownload (86) by 2cam16, on Flickr
Old 06-17-21, 11:44 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
off the beaten path near the Escondido mall
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Likes For jsigone:
Old 06-18-21, 11:08 PM
jonathanf2

Today I did 23 miles through Highland Park, South Pas, San Marino, looping up towards Pasadena, around the Rose Bowl, back to Highland Park through Arroyo Seco Park and grabbing a coffee at A Bloc coffee and bike shop. I'm using my gravel bike with slicks when road biking, but now I'm itching for a dedicated road bike just so I can focus on riding faster when on the streets.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 06-19-21, 03:51 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Today I did 23 miles through Highland Park, South Pas, San Marino, looping up towards Pasadena, around the Rose Bowl, back to Highland Park through Arroyo Seco Park and grabbing a coffee at A Bloc coffee and bike shop. I'm using my gravel bike with slicks when road biking, but now I'm itching for a dedicated road bike just so I can focus on riding faster when on the streets.
yeah, you're in an area where you can keep the gravel bike properly set up/dedicated to gravel with minimal riding/driving to/from trailheads.
also in an area where having a road bike as another option makes total sense. swapping out tires gets tiresome fast but a more affordable/space-friendly option
might be having a roadie wheel set with the same cassette gearing so you can easily swap wheel sets depending on your mood.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-19-21, 11:25 AM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
yeah, you're in an area where you can keep the gravel bike properly set up/dedicated to gravel with minimal riding/driving to/from trailheads.
also in an area where having a road bike as another option makes total sense. swapping out tires gets tiresome fast but a more affordable/space-friendly option
might be having a roadie wheel set with the same cassette gearing so you can easily swap wheel sets depending on your mood.
I appreciate the fact we have great trails in the area and road cycling here is far more easier with less cars versus riding in the heart of LA. Riding the bike paths through Pasadena and La Cañada are just more pleasant. I can just ride out my front door straight to the trails or hop onto the bike paths and do a nice road loop. The only reason I was thinking about a dedicated road bike, is to have better gearing for the roads (my bike is setup to tackle uphill trails).
Old 06-20-21, 01:30 PM
CAT7RDR

Only 28 miles and 3500 ft of climb and one crash on Turnbull Cyn Rd. Hard to understand what happened. One moment I'm leaning into a hard left curve, front tire flats and I am landing on my left shoulder and hip/knee. Scrambled to get off the road and gather my senses.

Immediately after, a couple ascending Turnbull stopped to render aid for which I am extremely thankful. They changed my tube and got my bike back in shape to cruise home. Rinsed my road rash and was able to lift my left arm and piston my legs so rode the last few miles home. Looks like I lucked out with only deep contusions on the left hip and shoulder.

In retrospect, I considered changing the front tire with a new Michelin All Season with some grippy rubber. The Bontrager tire was beginning to square off and I thought a few more rides would not be an issue. I'll be off the bike for a week.

Edit: Finally got around to inspecting the tube. Turns out it was a pinch flat with the telltale snake bite holes adjacent to the valve stem.
As usual, another accident that could have easily been prevented with proper inflation.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 06-24-21 at 12:48 PM.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-20-21, 02:46 PM
diphthong

Only 28 miles and 3500 ft of climb and one crash on Turnbull Cyn Rd. Hard to understand what happened. One moment I'm leaning into a hard left curve, front tire flats and I am landing on my left shoulder and hip/knee. Scrambled to get off the road and gather my senses.

Immediately after, a couple ascending Turnbull stopped to render aid for which I am extremely thankful. They changed my tube and got my bike back in shape to cruise home. Rinsed my road rash and was able to lift my left arm and piston my legs so rode the last few miles home. Looks like I lucked out with only deep contusions on the left hip and shoulder.

In retrospect, I considered changing the front tire with a new Michelin All Season with some grippy rubber. The Bontrager tire was beginning to square off and I thought a few more rides would not be an issue. I'll be off the bike for a week.
glad you’re not more seriously banged up.
Likes For diphthong:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.