Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The 41 refugee thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-18, 11:30 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I'm trying latex tubes on my race bike and have suffered my second blowout in 6 or 7 rides. The tubes are Michelin AirComps spec'd for 22-23c tires, but riding a 25 mm tire on a 24 mm width rim. I'm thinking they're just too narrow and fold up in there.

Anything else I could be missing? All together the tire+tube combo (Corsa G+ and latex) is notably fast and soft and I'm enjoying the ride. Maybe I just need to try the Vittoria 25/28c tubes instead?

Also I'm using a Topeak valve extender, don't think it matter but thought I'd mentioned.
If it's a loud/violent puncture, it's almost guaranteed to be an installation issue, as tetonrider said. Either a little bit of tube got pinched under the tire bead, or you've got an iffy rim strip and the tube creeped under it. Latex is much softer/stretchy, and can get into crevices that a butyl tube would not. But that soft/stretchy quality is also what makes the tubes faster and more supple than butyl, so it's a trade-off.

If correctly installed, latex tubes are awesome. They're actually more puncture resistant than butyl due to that stretch. Frankly I can't see racing on butyl, you're talking about roughly a 3 watt difference in rolling resistance per tire. Given all the other marginal gains that racers chase, this one's a no-brainer.

I've found it best to start opposite the valve stem when rolling the tire back on the rim. Finishing at the stem it seems to help keep the tube inside the tire a little better. It just takes a little practice. Tetonriders tip for pressing in the sidewall all the way around to look for pinched tube is a good idea also. And if you have the old-style nylon rim strips, replace them with tubeless rim tape (better seal over the rim bed, and also thinner which can ease installation of tight tires a bit).

The 22-23c tube should be fine, they'll stretch plenty to fill a 25c tire up (just pump one up outside a tire to see). That said I can recommend the pink Vittoria Latex tubes which come in a 19-24 or 25-28. I've used both in 25c tires, the 19-24's are a little easier to install.
Old 03-09-18, 11:32 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
well, yeah--tons of people are riding (or racing on!) bad tires that don't really afford more protection but are measurably slower.

latex tubes, though, will improve any setup, regardless of one's chosen tire.
Said for years with kiddo - everything matters.

50% of the TTs I see a top 5 place is within 1 sec of another. It all matters.

But for the money ... get good tires 1st, latex tubes second.
Old 03-10-18, 01:22 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Said for years with kiddo - everything matters.

50% of the TTs I see a top 5 place is within 1 sec of another. It all matters.

But for the money ... get good tires 1st, latex tubes second.
just because you said 'for the money'...

i think it is hard to beat latex tubes!

anyway, the stuff is not mutually exclusive. one can get a lighter bike while also losing fat, for example.
Old 03-10-18, 06:48 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
well, yeah--tons of people are riding (or racing on!) bad tires that don't really afford more protection but are measurably slower.

latex tubes, though, will improve any setup, regardless of one's chosen tire.
I'm still amazed at the local triathletes who don't blink at paying for a new Shiv and/or Zipp wheels but insist on running Gatorskins...even tubulars.

Which tires does the collective mind recommend? I've also been thinking about trying latex tubes and would like to pair them with a nicer set of tires. I work in a Specialized LBS so I have access to their tires plus others. I wouldn't mind trying Turbo Cottons and I've heard you're doing well to get 800 miles from a rear tire with those...but I don't know anyone who's actually running them.

Demain, on roule!
Old 03-10-18, 09:39 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
just because you said 'for the money'...

i think it is hard to beat latex tubes!

anyway, the stuff is not mutually exclusive. one can get a lighter bike while also losing fat, for example.
It is not mutually exclusive, but me being a racer supporter, not a racer, the money/value equation is huge. Of course those elite racers end up with all good stuff and are lean too. As an aside as you mentioned fat, too much muscle can be an issue too.

Kid's school club has 46 members. Many of the kids come from low income, but are athletic (and some too built - chest/biceps, even junior added some pull-up induced mass that I don't see helpful for cycling), so we try to see what reasonable race bikes we can put together to see if they are cut out for this sport. Lots of companies give stuff, and we buy stuff. Shimano 105 works fine, as do alloy frames. It is the wheels and tires where the largest value is in replacing. So after getting the basic bikes (20+) race-able, tires are changed 1st and the "national team" (kids competing in collegiate nationals) will get latex tubes too. I found the Michelin tubes softer and more flexible than others I've used, so the rest get those. There is also a maintenance side to latex only serious cyclist appreciate.

I'm a rec rider, too fat, and I ride latex tubes because they feel better. I notice if a tubular doesn't have them.
Old 03-11-18, 02:42 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
I'm still amazed at the local triathletes who don't blink at paying for a new Shiv and/or Zipp wheels but insist on running Gatorskins...even tubulars.

Which tires does the collective mind recommend? I've also been thinking about trying latex tubes and would like to pair them with a nicer set of tires. I work in a Specialized LBS so I have access to their tires plus others. I wouldn't mind trying Turbo Cottons and I've heard you're doing well to get 800 miles from a rear tire with those...but I don't know anyone who's actually running them.
Andy Potts is a world class American triathlete. He showed up to Kona a few years back on a pimped of Cannondale Slice, a great position and all the gear he could need. With Gatorskin tires. It was just the epitome of Triathlon in my eyes.

I run butyl tubes because I don't currently have a set of race wheels for the road bike and it's expensive to be out training (especially here) with latex tubes that could flat. My TT bike has a latex tube in the front trispoke (thanks @tetonrider) and a butyl in the back because I just haven't gone to buy a new latex tube to put in there yet. I should do that before chico.

The cottons get good commendations. I've just stuck to the 25mm conti gp4000s2 for my everything tire. I ran the first version of the corsa G+ when they came out and had good luck with them until the end of their life. My tt bike has an old school narrow GP supersonic and a 23mm corsa Speed.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...d-bike-reviews
Old 03-12-18, 03:35 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
conti gp4k2 for life.
Old 03-12-18, 03:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

Love those tires, but you are right that they don't have the greatest lifespan. Race day only tires, in my experience.
Old 03-12-18, 03:38 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Love those tires, but you are right that they don't have the greatest lifespan. Race day only tires, in my experience.
Just not for norcal farm road races either.
Old 03-12-18, 03:44 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
conti gp4k2 for life.
Wisdommmmmmmmmmm
Old 03-12-18, 03:50 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Just not for norcal farm road races either.
Specialized is a NorCal company. They're missing a trick here. They could market a thick superheavy tire as VeloPromoProof.
Old 03-12-18, 04:02 PM
revchuck 
OMC

I just ordered three of them in 700x28. Supposedly they’re the “Hell of the North” versions, maybe they’ll wear better than the originals.

Demain, on roule!
Old 03-12-18, 04:04 PM
caloso

I just ordered three of them in 700x28. Supposedly they’re the “Hell of the North” versions, maybe they’ll wear better than the originals.
I bet those are like butter. You'll be rolling like a Cadillac.
Old 03-12-18, 04:12 PM
revchuck 
OMC

I bet those are like butter. You'll be rolling like a Cadillac.
My Allez Sprint can use the help.

Demain, on roule!
Old 03-12-18, 04:25 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
conti gp4k2 for life.
Do they still manufacturer other tires? Why?
Old 03-12-18, 04:51 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
conti gp4k2 for life.
#metoo
Old 03-12-18, 05:26 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
conti gp4k2 for life.

My go-to.
Old 03-12-18, 05:26 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
#CultOfConti
Old 03-12-18, 05:38 PM
caloso

#EquipeMichelin
Old 03-12-18, 07:33 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

I was setting up my backup wheels for chico and was debating throwing on some older, already used with a lot of miles conti gps or just leaving the brand new michelin pro4 endurance's that came with the wheels. Think I'm gonna leave the narrower Michelin tires for the sheer fact of better puncture resistance. The idea is I shouldn't have to pull them out of the wheel car, but if I do, I want to make sure the brakes aren't rubbing and I'm not gonna get another flat.
Old 04-22-18, 02:51 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
what do you recommend for full-fingered gloves for racing in the heat of the summer? (road rash mitigation) Maybe like something that the track guys use.
Old 04-22-18, 04:03 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
what do you recommend for full-fingered gloves for racing in the heat of the summer? (road rash mitigation) Maybe like something that the track guys use.
I'm not sure where mine are or I'd go find them, but I have some full finger, I think they're novaro maybe, the back of the fingers are all vented and very thin, the fronts are relatively padded and protected. Good for crits and track. If I find them I'll post the exact brand and name.

Edit:

They're Sugoi, no name on them though. I think they might've been advertised as mountain bike gloves. The fronts are somewhat thick but perforated for air, the backs are more like a mesh. I've worn them on very hot days and they were fine.

Last edited by Flatballer; 04-22-18 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-23-18, 01:07 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
not sure if there are any gloves that can be protective enough and also good for warm weather.. but really I think your palms are 99% of what you need to worry about anyway.

(cue someone’s story about how some guy tore off a fingernail..)
Old 04-23-18, 05:01 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

I ride in the 100% mtb gloves. Decent ventilation, nothing to complain about. I always wear full finger for crits, and either short finger or no gloves for anything longer.

I've wanted to get a pair of the 5-bling gloves that were popular for a while since they're tacky. Could get yourself a set of keirin gloves but that's probably overkill (and hot)
Old 04-23-18, 08:58 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
I have some pearl izumi elite gloves that are full fingered but fairly decently vented.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.