Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do any of you actually use DELTA brakes??

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Do any of you actually use DELTA brakes??

Old 09-07-23, 10:16 PM
  #76  
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 13,257

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3851 Post(s)
Liked 4,710 Times in 2,174 Posts
Iconically classic. Love 'em or hate 'em = doesn't really matter.

Some people cream their jeans over old, single speed, 40lb, tank bikes. But only 'the special' tank bikes. A whole category of bikes unrideable in hilly terrain or mountainous roads. edit: But ahead of their time on tire widths & pressure.


This shifting system is so.......unsophisticated. Who would ever own one, they don't even shift very well?! A hazardous design. If you offered me one for free - I would have to tell you to 'shift it' to someone else.
And look at those flimsy brakes. . Unsafe at any speed. Who would ride or desire such a thing?

Why this, when you could have that?

...now taking tongue from cheek....
__________________
Vintage, modern, e-road. It is a big cycling universe.

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-07-23 at 11:27 PM.
Wildwood is online now  
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 09-07-23, 11:53 PM
  #77  
Johno59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Cambridge UK
Posts: 852

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 185 Posts
I will post some photos of my beloved Schwinn Huron 3 (the 3 stands for 3rd generation Delta calipers ) but you will have to sing the Taliban National anthem first.

Last edited by Johno59; 09-07-23 at 11:56 PM.
Johno59 is offline  
Old 09-08-23, 06:42 AM
  #78  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 5,409

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3277 Post(s)
Liked 2,693 Times in 1,639 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Iconically classic. Love 'em or hate 'em = doesn't really matter.

Some people cream their jeans over old, single speed, 40lb, tank bikes. But only 'the special' tank bikes. A whole category of bikes unrideable in hilly terrain or mountainous roads. edit: But ahead of their time on tire widths & pressure.
This shifting system is so.......unsophisticated. Who would ever own one, they don't even shift very well?! A hazardous design. If you offered me one for free - I would have to tell you to 'shift it' to someone else.
And look at those flimsy brakes. . Unsafe at any speed. Who would ride or desire such a thing?

Why this, when you could have that?

...now taking tongue from cheek....
While "tongue in cheek," I think you're making our argument for us. You're showing obsolete tech supplanted by better tech. The Deltas were essentially a step backwards in any number of respects. And I suspect you don't want that message to be taken humorously.
smd4 is offline  
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-08-23, 09:18 AM
  #79  
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio
 
Choke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 740

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 138 Posts
Most of my riding since I acquired my first set (around 1993) has been on Deltas.....obviously I love them. If they are set up properly they have good power and excellent modulation (loads better in that respect than dual pivots IMO). I will be the first to say that they can be a PITA to set up though. I have replaced the pads/holders on some of mine with more modern Campy pads/holders and I think that is a big improvement. The original nut for the holders even fits the modern ones. I prefer the Croce d'Aune version as they have more tire clearance but they are less sleek than Records as well as being heavier.

The Ciöcc was my only bike for many years.


I've ridden Cino twice on this bike and I somehow survived.


While Records are limited to around 25mm tires, CdAs are a different story. This tire measured 31.5mm. You can also see the more modern Campy pads/holders.
Choke is offline  
Old 09-08-23, 09:24 AM
  #80  
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 13,257

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3851 Post(s)
Liked 4,710 Times in 2,174 Posts
What an ugly woman, what was the painter thinking? This cannot be art. I say it is NOT art.
__________________
Vintage, modern, e-road. It is a big cycling universe.
Wildwood is online now  
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 09-08-23, 09:27 AM
  #81  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 5,409

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3277 Post(s)
Liked 2,693 Times in 1,639 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
What an ugly woman, what was the painter thinking? This cannot be art. I say it is NOT art.
OooKaayyy...
smd4 is offline  
Old 09-08-23, 09:27 AM
  #82  
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 13,257

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3851 Post(s)
Liked 4,710 Times in 2,174 Posts
What a cute child!

__________________
Vintage, modern, e-road. It is a big cycling universe.
Wildwood is online now  
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 09-08-23, 09:36 AM
  #83  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 5,409

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3277 Post(s)
Liked 2,693 Times in 1,639 Posts
It's funny when someone compares delta brakes to DaVinci.
smd4 is offline  
Old 09-08-23, 09:39 AM
  #84  
jamesdak 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 8,763

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2285 Post(s)
Liked 4,637 Times in 1,688 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
It's funny when someone compares delta brakes to DaVinci.

IKR! I mean Delta's are so freaking gorgeous and the Mona Lisa is really quite plain looking. Nothing at all similar about them.
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is online now  
Old 09-08-23, 09:41 AM
  #85  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 5,409

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3277 Post(s)
Liked 2,693 Times in 1,639 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
IKR! I mean Delta's are so freaking gorgeous and the Mona Lisa is really quite plain looking. Nothing at all similar about them.
Triangle-shaped bike components don't really do it for me.
smd4 is offline  
Old 09-08-23, 12:28 PM
  #86  
chain_whipped
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 387 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Triangle-shaped bike components don't really do it for me.
Camouflage perhaps?

1983 Chesini catalog
chain_whipped is offline  
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 09-08-23, 12:35 PM
  #87  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 5,409

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3277 Post(s)
Liked 2,693 Times in 1,639 Posts
Originally Posted by chain_whipped
Camouflage perhaps?
Sure. If you can make Delta brakes disappear from photos of bikes, that would be a step in the right direction.
smd4 is offline  
Old 09-08-23, 01:02 PM
  #88  
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,822
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked 3,325 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by Choke
Most of my riding since I acquired my first set (around 1993) has been on Deltas.....obviously I love them. If they are set up properly they have good power and excellent modulation (loads better in that respect than dual pivots IMO). I will be the first to say that they can be a PITA to set up though. I have replaced the pads/holders on some of mine with more modern Campy pads/holders and I think that is a big improvement. The original nut for the holders even fits the modern ones. I prefer the Croce d'Aune version as they have more tire clearance but they are less sleek than Records as well as being heavier.

The Ciöcc was my only bike for many years.


I've ridden Cino twice on this bike and I somehow survived.
While Records are limited to around 25mm tires, CdAs are a different story. This tire measured 31.5mm. You can also see the more modern Campy pads/holders.
I did not know you owned a Pelizzoli, sir! That’s a small club.
__________________
Hard at work in the Secret Underground Laboratory...
rccardr is offline  
Likes For rccardr:
Old 09-08-23, 04:44 PM
  #89  
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 1,306

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Triangle-shaped bike components don't really do it for me.
Just the components?
Because to my eyes a bicycle is 2 triangles stuck together with a big circle on each end.
SkinGriz is offline  
Old 09-08-23, 04:52 PM
  #90  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 5,409

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3277 Post(s)
Liked 2,693 Times in 1,639 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Just the components?
Because to my eyes a bicycle is 2 triangles stuck together with a big circle on each end.
I wrote components, didn’t I?
smd4 is offline  
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-08-23, 11:37 PM
  #91  
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down
 
bikingshearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
Posts: 5,562

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 2,375 Times in 995 Posts
Okay, this is getting silly. If you want to ride Deltas. ride 'em. If you don't want to ride Deltas, don't ride 'em. Whether you think they are beautiful, the acme of braking performance, or ugly over-engineered kludge, think what you want. This is a YMMV discussion if ever there was one. These are opinions, people. and they are like a$$holes - everybody has one. Let's leave it at that and move on to more important things, such as:

1. Grant Petersen/Bridgestone/Rivendell.
2. Eddy vs. Fausto.
3. Helmets. Am I right?
4. N+1 or S-1?
5. The CPSC is a cyclist's best friend, or how I learned to love lawyer lips.
6. Separate bike paths: the way to Nirvana (the place, not the band) or sick commie deep state plot?
7, Biopace: the way to Nirvana (the place, not the band) or sick commie deep state plot?
8. Is Nirvana the place better than Nirvana the band?
9. If you ride biopace on a separate bike path, will that double your chances of reaching Nirvana (the place or the band, I no longer care)?
10. Samantha or Jeannie?
11. Beatles or Stones?
12. Mayo or Miracle Whip?

And finally

13. "Holy Grail" or "Life of Brian"?

Break into small groups and discuss among yourselves. Presentations will begin in an hour and will count 40% toward your final grade. Creativity in your ranting and gesticulating can raise or lower your grade.
__________________
"I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney
bikingshearer is offline  
Likes For bikingshearer:
Old 09-08-23, 11:48 PM
  #92  
P!N20
Senior Member
 
P!N20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wurundjeri Country
Posts: 2,421
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 902 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
These are opinions, people. and they are like a$$holes - everybody has one.
And most of them stink.

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
6. Separate bike paths: the way to Nirvana (the place, not the band) or sick commie deep state plot?
7, Biopace: the way to Nirvana (the place, not the band) or sick commie deep state plot?
8. Is Nirvana the place better than Nirvana the band?
My nephew is dating a girl named Nirvana. True story.
P!N20 is online now  
Old 09-09-23, 06:04 AM
  #93  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 5,409

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3277 Post(s)
Liked 2,693 Times in 1,639 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20

My nephew is dating a girl named Nirvana. True story.
She’s probably hot. Or a stripper. Or both.
smd4 is offline  
Old 09-09-23, 10:34 AM
  #94  
Keefusb
Keefusb
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Ashland, VA
Posts: 176

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Who was the better "Darren" on "Bewitched"? Was it Dick York, or Dick Sargent?
Keefusb is offline  
Old 09-09-23, 12:38 PM
  #95  
chain_whipped
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 387 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Maybe people are drawn to, and like things, that are so far outside the norm, that it's almost like they're seeing "The Emperor's New Clothes." Deltas offered nothing beneficial in terms of performance, ease of use/maintenance, weight or aerodynamics, and yet there is a cadre to this day who are mesmerized by them.
You meant just like today's latest Campagnolo heavier, ugly, drastically more involved setup / maintenance, non-aero, touchy modulation especially notable on slick wet road, narrow road tire bikes and lastly.... expensive disc brakes. You go man!

Last edited by chain_whipped; 09-09-23 at 12:42 PM.
chain_whipped is offline  
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 09-09-23, 05:14 PM
  #96  
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down
 
bikingshearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
Posts: 5,562

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 2,375 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by Keefusb
Who was the better "Darren" on "Bewitched"? Was it Dick York, or Dick Sargent?
Good one. So who was the better . . . oh, I better not.
__________________
"I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney
bikingshearer is offline  
Old 09-09-23, 06:45 PM
  #97  
Manny66 
Senior Member
 
Manny66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Whittier
Posts: 843

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 300 Posts




These brakes just dont work well,,,Nobody in their right minds would ever use these descending on the highest mountain peaks in Professional Racing.
Manny66 is offline  
Likes For Manny66:
Old 09-09-23, 08:34 PM
  #98  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20,288
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3434 Post(s)
Liked 2,777 Times in 1,960 Posts
A brief moment in time, Corsa Record and toe clips and straps.
Terrific.
repechage is offline  
Likes For repechage:
Old 09-09-23, 08:47 PM
  #99  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 5,409

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3277 Post(s)
Liked 2,693 Times in 1,639 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
These brakes just dont work well,,,Nobody in their right minds would ever use these descending on the highest mountain peaks in Professional Racing.
Of course they work well! That’s why dual pivots were never invented!
smd4 is offline  
Old 09-09-23, 09:25 PM
  #100  
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio
 
Choke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 740

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
I did not know you owned a Pelizzoli, sir! That’s a small club.
Doc, I purchased it in 2011 not long after Pelizzoli started their website. There definitely don't seem to be many of them.
Choke is offline  
Likes For Choke:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.