Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brooks width, you make the call.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Brooks width, you make the call.

Old 09-18-14, 06:13 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Guys, the Swift and B17 are two totally different saddles for different application, swapping one for another means you had the wrong product for the intended configuration to start with. It's like plopping a Racaro Racing seat in a Bently and saying it sucks cuz it's not comfy ( dated & exaggerated comparison I know) but you get the drift.
Old 09-18-14, 06:14 AM
Fred Smedley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Can't comment on widths etc, but fwiw here is my experience

I ride a B-17 in a very upright position on my commuter/utility bike..... it is simply fantastic

I tried a B-17 Narrow imperial on my road bike. (miyata 1400 bars just a little lower than seat) this did not work.

I looked at the B-17 narrow compared to my sella italia turbo and the top shape of the b17 n was way less rounded.

I got a swift and put it on my road bike......it is great. Chose the swift because it looked closer in top shape to the the turbo than the pro or the swallow

I kinda eyeballed/measured the indents in the b17 and they looked like they would work with the swift width...the did

so for me top shape is more important than width
That's interesting , I like a Turbo but could not ride a Swift , I was numb unless I sat on the steel back edge. I can ride flat saddles around 143mm like WTB SST's . Unfortunately finding a Brooks to fit your arse is a expensive proposition.
BTW I have a Miyata 1400 also, I think it's a very limited club on BF who do.
Old 09-18-14, 06:23 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
. It's like plopping a Racaro Racing seat in a Bently
Recaro
& Bentley

sorry V'gnome.
Old 09-18-14, 06:42 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

No apology needed...at least you didn't use a red pen
Old 09-20-14, 12:14 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Found this article in Bicycling magazine-

Place a piece of florist foam on a flat surface and something like a stair step.

Sit on it, lean slightly forward keeping the back straight.

Stand and measure the distance from the center of the two depressions.

Widest part of saddle should measure the same as or wider than that number, with a centimeter extra on each side. If it doesn't, consider another saddle.

What it doesn't mention is the type of shorts and padding. The distribution of weight and pattern is another consideration. A large rider wearing the right shorts can bear a narrow, racey style saddle. It all 'Depends' on the application.... snickering.
Old 09-20-14, 12:51 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Also the foam is flat and saddles are convex. Plus, this entire sit bone measurement thing doesn't sit well with me (pun intended)

The last few days I've been making a mental note of where my sit bones are in relationship to the widest part of the saddle. What I can say for certain is, "they are all over the place when I ride aggressively. Puttering and touring about, they are pretty much planted in one place."

Hmmm...could this be partly the reason a B-17 is somewhat wider and comfy in a more upright lazy ride and why the Swifts and Swallows are narrow and more out of the way. Perhaps....just perhaps this has more to do with comfort that sit bone dimensions.
Old 09-20-14, 02:13 PM
crank_addict
Banned

+1 Velognome
I too don't fully buy into the scientific or bio measuring thing. Would be a dream having a LBS with a shelf loaded with hundreds of test saddles.

Same with car or motorcycle seats. Have had quite a few cars with OEM and aftermarket Recaro - a few full range adjustability. Some just don't work and some do, especially long distance driving. And for motorcycles.... sport / racing. My fave was a very flat, minimalistic pad. Could be on that crazy thing all day, transition shifting body weight L and R. The seats with more of a radius fitment and narrow just don't do it and was always sore the next day.

The only way is to try a range of saddles, the type of bike and / or intention. This year has been a pleasure riding one of RHM's saddle. Although I think its pure luck for comfort but also helps to have it on a bike for intended purpose. I don't think it would be ideal for a deep drop racer. I've got to study it and get some measurements and hopefully Mister Rudi can do his magic for another just like it. One will be for a Motobecane Le Champ and another Motobecane having a deep drop criterium stance. Quite sure the faux / tribute BIC racer will be a whole different matter. Probably will look into a narrow Brooks for that one.
Old 09-20-14, 02:22 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Add to the discussion personal comfort, could only imagine the aggravation woman put up with. Holy smokes..... er'.... anyhow the reply by one company Selle Anatomica of a woman's saddle is particularly interesting. They feel its not necessary to offer a specific design to them. Complete opposite of Terry or Brooks and many other.

From S-A FAQ page:
Do you have a saddle for women?
Yes! Our saddles are all created in the same mold. The bicycle industry marketing machine has told you men’s and women’s saddles should be different shapes. If you make your saddles the way most manufacturers do, that might be true. The forgiving nature of our leather makes our saddles equally comfortable and functional for men and women.