Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

E-bike helping with conventional biking

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

E-bike helping with conventional biking

Old 09-21-22, 03:05 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
My hope is that ebikes will bring more people out riding and create a louder voice for people to stop considering bikes as a second class vehicle. More bike riders may result in better bike related resources and more of a more bike-friendly attitude among motorists and road designers.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 09-22-22, 10:10 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 364 Posts
I bike with a couple who have ebikes.
They probably wouldn't ride without the assistance, and it gives me a challenge to keep up.

Has an eboard (e-skate board) fly by me dangerously close recently. Guy burnt out his motor and or battery a few miles later.

(yes I smiled as I passed by him)
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 09-23-22, 05:09 AM
hevysrf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Motor pacing behind old folks riding up right mid day during the work week has accelerated my comeback from a 3 year hiatus, what's not to like...

So you're the guy on my back wheel!
Old 09-23-22, 10:06 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco
I ride for the exercise so an e-bike makes little sense for me.
This gets to part of her experience. She wasn't getting any exercise (due to the knee injuries, not sloth), so this enabled her to get enough to regain fitness.

This in turn raises another question: Could moderately fit, active cyclists improve further from cross-training on an e-bike?
Old 09-23-22, 11:19 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Could moderately fit, active cyclists improve further from cross-training on an e-bike?
I guess maybe it could allow for true, low-effort recovery rides for people who live in areas where terrain (or their bike gearing) doesn't allow?
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 09-24-22, 06:22 AM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
She wasn't getting any exercise so this enabled her to get enough to regain fitness.
To be fair ….. I said an e-bike makes little sense FOR ME but you make an excellent case for e-bikes (for your wife).
Old 09-24-22, 11:37 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Sorry, it wasn't your experience I was trying to highlight, but just a general assumption that we all seem to make. Let me try to depersonalize this, and reframe my question as follows:

Let's say my measured average power output is 170 Watts for a given ride on my conventional bike.

If I do the same ride on an ebike, and can maintain a measured power output of 170 Watts, presumably I am getting approximately the same workout (but maybe I am going significantly faster, or can go twice the distance in the same amount of time).

I realize this isn't how people typically use e-bikes, but it suggests that they could be used by healthy/non-injured people as a viable form of cross-training.

In other words, does it really matter, from the point of view of exercise, if there is an assist motor present, as long as you maintain your power output rather than slack off?
Old 09-24-22, 09:16 PM
sande005

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I commuter biked modest distances for many years - enough to inspire my daughter to become a urban planner for biking, and now head of the department for multi-mode planning and safety in one of the largest cities in the US. But getting old, and a bit larger, had me jump to a Class 3 e-bike.
I go far, far further and more often than I ever have in the past. And despite the assist, that 55 lb "beast" does get me in better shape than I have ever been. So much so, I'm seriously looking at adding to the stable with a really good conventional road bike....
Likes For sande005:
Old 09-24-22, 09:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2560 Post(s)
Liked 5,591 Times in 2,901 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I just had a similar experience on the Minuteman. I was riding fast than everyone else on the path so I was passing in the opposite lane quite frequently. I kept hearing the unmistakable sound of big knobby tires behind me, I don't have a mirror, and it was just far enough back that I couldn't see by turning my neck. It all seemed incongruous until he passed me barely pedaling and I saw the big honking motor on his bike.
I was doing my semi-usual 30 mile loop which has some good climbs. At about the 3/4 point, there is a 10% climb for a quarter mile which kicks my butt. It was a hot day and I was pouring it on so I wouldn’t feel so defeated when out of no where a guy on pedal assist e-bike breezes right by me and disappears over the crest. I felt like yelling, Cheater, but kept myself under control. It was just about as bad as when doing a series of short 8 to 15% climbs and a 15 year old on a conventional acoustic racing bike just blows by me. Equally frustrating but for different reasons.

Old 09-24-22, 09:50 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2560 Post(s)
Liked 5,591 Times in 2,901 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Motor pacing behind old folks riding up right mid day during the work week has accelerated my comeback from a 3 year hiatus, what's not to like...
I have motor paced a couple of those bikes as well, on the flats, and it was a good time at 20 MPH.

Then there was the guy on the pedal assist e-bike that just had to show me how fast he could pass me. He had the type that the motor cuts out at a certain speed and then it is all him. After the pass I thought to myself, game-on! I chased him down and passed (yes I know it was juvenile but some competitiveness just doesn’t die) and was able to catch and pass and drop him since he must have hit his speed limiter and it was all him. Acoustic bike 1. Pedal assist bike 0.