Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

School me on your experiences with cycling as a new parent (dad)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

School me on your experiences with cycling as a new parent (dad)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-23, 09:53 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Parenting, spouse/partner, work first, cycling secondary. It's not complicated.
Just because your first sentence is true doesn't mean your second one is too.
Old 02-11-23, 10:26 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Quiglesnbits
Thanks for sharing any experiences or advice you have!
The most important data field to display on your head unit isn't speed, or HR, or cadence, or wattage; it's time of day so you know when to turn around and head back. You *never* want to be late from a ride when your spouse is waiting, or when you have to pick up the kids at day care or at school. Put the time of day in the same spot on every data screen so you always know at a glance where to look.
Likes For RChung:
Old 02-11-23, 11:04 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
My kid was more fun than my bike ever was.

I bought a lightweight kids trailer and took my child to the park by bike to play on the swings, sandbox, and other kids.

Once 4 years old, taught him to ride in maybe 10 minutes and then we would ride the streets until he was about 11 and then dad wasn't cool enough anymore. We found other activities to share at that point.

In short, riding didn't take a backseat, it took the trunk and no regrets.
Very similar story for me.

Originally Posted by retswerb
Just because your first sentence is true doesn't mean your second one is too.
It really is. Just keep your priorities in mind. For me, a life long cycling enthusiast, it was never difficult to forgo it in favor of the more important things.
Old 02-12-23, 08:20 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Very similar story for me.

It really is. Just keep your priorities in mind. For me, a life long cycling enthusiast, it was never difficult to forgo it in favor of the more important things.
for me biking slid way down the list

I was away from serious biking for almost 20 years - just returned to biking recently

initially I did continue to bike when the kids were smaller - but as they grew / aged biking was limited to some quick off road rides in the nearby woods

instead of biking I became the kid’s youth football coach, basketball coach, and baseball coach ; continued to coach my youngest kid in baseball up to high school years

also was the RC car pit crew ... guitar / amp / keyboard roadie ...

wife also participated in many of these activities so her biking also took a big hit ... she did get out more than me though - she would get out at times with the kids when I was cutting grass / working around the house

Last edited by t2p; 02-12-23 at 08:23 PM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 02-13-23, 12:54 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
for me biking slid way down the list

I was away from serious biking for almost 20 years - just returned to biking recently

initially I did continue to bike when the kids were smaller - but as they grew / aged biking was limited to some quick off road rides in the nearby woods

instead of biking I became the kid’s youth football coach, basketball coach, and baseball coach ; continued to coach my youngest kid in baseball up to high school years

also was the RC car pit crew ... guitar / amp / keyboard roadie ...

wife also participated in many of these activities so her biking also took a big hit ... she did get out more than me though - she would get out at times with the kids when I was cutting grass / working around the house
Yea, I did a lot of coaching too. And driving, and skiing, and camping, and stuff I could do around the house and keep in touch with what was going on. But I have never felt the need to be super fit (just reasonably fit) and was never competitive. I guess I can sort of understand if you have those at the center of your life, it might be hard to give it up or compromise.
Old 02-21-23, 04:15 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Quiglesnbits
Hey all, looking to hear about peoples experiences transitioning to first time parenthood, and how you navigated your relationship with riding during the early times. I am fortunate to be able to get some time off, but I don't currently have high expectations for myself, or for the amount of time I have initially to commit to my fitness due to helping carry the load with my spouse and a lack of sleep.

Thanks for sharing any experiences or advice you have!
Get a Burley trailer and put your child in there. There's a lot more to cycling than just blasting around a route by yourself or in a group ride. I think we had our children out on a ride probably within their 1st month. Not sure that's the right way to do it, but certainly by the time they have some head control. I rigged up a way to mount the car seat in the trailer and we got them a little helmet that fit and off we went. I'd pick a sedate route with little to no traffic or on bike paths.

A side benefit is that it often is a great way to get them to take a nap.

Being a new parent is a rude awakening into the importance of time management. Exercise is important if you want to live long and by part of your child's life well into adulthood. On top of that, kids learn, even at amazingly young ages from parental examples, and if they learn to like being around bikes from their earliest days, they'll probably turn into serious riding partners at some point.

And lugging the trailer around you'll definitely get serious exercise especially if hills are involved.

Sometimes, it might not work out so well and then the smart answer is to know when to call it and head back. If you want a riding buddy, you need to keep it pleasant.

So like pretty much everything else with kids, the more you integrate them into your life and into doing what you do the closer your family will be, they happier both you and they will be, and you'll develop activities that become lifelong family events.
Old 02-23-23, 12:27 PM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
My first kid didn't affect my cycling too much from what I recall. I rode less but I was still able to do much of the riding I wanted and didn't lose a ton of fitness. The second kid was really the nail in my fitness coffin. I still ride enough to be fit but don't get many long rides in and I can't really keep up with most of my friends on climbs anymore. We shall see what number 3 brings.