Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Theft prevention: Deface make and model?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Theft prevention: Deface make and model?

Old 09-28-22, 09:57 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
Originally Posted by smasha
I would argue that it's sad how people get so upset when their bike gets a scratch in the paint.

This new bike was literally scratched before I picked it up from the shop. I appreciate that they gave me a small discount for that, but I'm not upset about it.
If I'm spending $5k+ on a brand new bike, the first significant scratch or chip is going to irk me. I bypassed that by buying bikes a couple of years old. Not only are they a lot more tolerable for my budget, but they came pre-scratched. It doesn't change how much I enjoy looking at them, and riding them.
Old 09-28-22, 10:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
My explanation has been provided, it is not my job to make sure someone doesn't manipulate my words in there favorable way for false interpretation.
He likes to do that, and it’s a bush league device.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-28-22, 10:15 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Her good lock (I don't know how good) was busted when the first bike was stolen, and the beater-bike was locked with a crappy lock.

So it does not answer my question.
It kind of does. In that sometimes thieves will destroy a lock to steal even a beater bike, so it likely won't make any difference if you deface your good bike to look like a beater.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-28-22, 11:02 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Her good lock (I don't know how good) was busted when the first bike was stolen, and the beater-bike was locked with a crappy lock.

So it does not answer my question.
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
It kind of does. In that sometimes thieves will destroy a lock to steal even a beater bike, so it likely won't make any difference if you deface your good bike to look like a beater.
Right? The evidence shows that thieves will remove/defeat even a good lock (and you have no idea what a "good" lock even means---it could have been a gym locker lock and a cable) to steal an average bike, and will steal any bike. Unless the first bike could be resold for a grand or more (which means a $2500 bike) then this proves that common thieves will steal anything, an ordinary bike or even a cheap beater bike ...
Whatever.

This is all moot. You wanted opinions but are unhappy with almost all the opinions ... if you Really care, go do the test. Paint your bike however, and lock it up wherever.

You have been on this site for quite a while .... none of this is new to you. None of what you have posted is accidental.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-28-22, 05:56 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
I never lock my bike, never. I take it with me into the bank, the optometrist, the dentist, the convenience store BUT I always ask first if it is permissible. If a store owner says NO, I thank them and go to another that does. My bike lives in a locked garage. When I didn’t have a garage, it lived in the house. If I am riding with someone, one of us stays with the bikes while the other goes in and vice versa. I will even carry my bike up two flights of stairs or put it in the elevator to take it with me. Never had anyone complain.

One guy asked me how much my bike cost and when I told them, they said the would do the same thing. Yes more booger flinging since I didn’t directly answer your question, but that is my solution to bike theft.

Old 09-28-22, 06:31 PM
deast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once a guy broke my lock with a brick
Old 09-28-22, 06:49 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Sometimes they just steal a bike ta stay in practice...
I’ve done that. Remember those cylindrical locks where it was so easy to open them by just feeling for the click. This was back when I was living in the dorm at UCSD. I would always return the bike after using it. Not always at the same place on the rack though.
Old 09-28-22, 08:18 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Troul
My explanation has been provided, it is not my job to make sure someone doesn't manipulate my words in there favorable way for false interpretation.
“My job is the false interpretation to manipulate the words in their favorable explanation to make sure someone has been provided my job. Not”

Old 09-28-22, 08:20 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I never lock my bike, never. I take it with me into the bank, the optometrist, the dentist, the convenience store BUT I always ask first if it is permissible.
I do this regularly without asking permission. I just wheel in my bike as if it's the most normal thing in the world. No one ever says a word.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-28-22, 08:52 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
I never lock my bike, never. I take it with me into the bank, the optometrist, the dentist, the convenience store BUT I always ask first if it is permissible. If a store owner says NO, I thank them and go to another that does. My bike lives in a locked garage. When I didn’t have a garage, it lived in the house. If I am riding with someone, one of us stays with the bikes while the other goes in and vice versa. I will even carry my bike up two flights of stairs or put it in the elevator to take it with me. Never had anyone complain.

One guy asked me how much my bike cost and when I told them, they said the would do the same thing. Yes more booger flinging since I didn’t directly answer your question, but that is my solution to bike theft.
Yep, that's pretty much what I do as well. I keep the bike locked in the house and not out in the garage. That's the only difference.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 09-28-22, 09:12 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I am an engineer by training, by experience, and by nature.
This does explain a lot.

I’ve worked with engineers for many years and have a similar tendencies.

I don’t think I’d deface a bike, but part of the logic behind this is doing something no one (possibly in their right mind) would think to do.

I’m guessing if the bike doesn’t get stolen it is a success regardless of whether there was any deterrent. And if it gets stolen, then a step was missed.

Where I differ is not locking the bike and doing what rsbob does. If I can’t take the bike with me, I won’t go in, or I’ll drive.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-28-22, 09:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
. I keep the bike locked in the house and not out in the garage.
. would think it would be the other way around.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-28-22, 10:14 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
I mean, the bike doesn't ever stay in the garage. It's only stored in the house.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 09-28-22, 10:40 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Sure, thieves will break a dollar-store lock to steal a crappy bike; I've previously stated that.

Will they break a good lock (properly used) to steal a beater-bike? Anecdotally, I don't know of that happening.

So the real question remains unanswered.
Likes For smasha:
Old 09-29-22, 12:20 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Right? The evidence shows that thieves will remove/defeat even a good lock (and you have no idea what a "good" lock even means---it could have been a gym locker lock and a cable) to steal an average bike, and will steal any bike. Unless the first bike could be resold for a grand or more (which means a $2500 bike) then this proves that common thieves will steal anything, an ordinary bike or even a cheap beater bike ...
Whatever.

This is all moot. You wanted opinions but are unhappy with almost all the opinions ... if you Really care, go do the test. Paint your bike however, and lock it up wherever.

You have been on this site for quite a while .... none of this is new to you. None of what you have posted is accidental.
As I pointed out from the beginning: Thieves will break crappy locks to steal crappy bikes, and they'll break good locks to steal good bikes.

The question that remains unanswered, is what's the sweet spot of "ugly" where they won't break a good lock, to steal a bike?
Old 09-29-22, 12:22 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

That's not booger-flinging, that's just a different solution to a different problem.
Old 09-29-22, 06:47 AM
Milton Keynes

Sure, thieves will break a dollar-store lock to steal a crappy bike; I've previously stated that.

Will they break a good lock (properly used) to steal a beater-bike? Anecdotally, I don't know of that happening.

So the real question remains unanswered.
It's obvious that those thieves targeted that bike, regardless of the lock. It's not like most locks are hard to get through in a few minutes anyway, I'm sure they wouldn't have been deterred had the beater bike been locked with a heavy duty lock.
Old 09-29-22, 08:02 AM
indyfabz

As I mentioned above, the only bike of mine that was ever stolen was stolen from inside my house while I was home and awake. We accidentally left the front door unlocked after coming home from a night of shopping and dining a week before Christmas, 2010 (Fortunately, the two custom IFs were left behind.)

I would bet most of the US population does not have a garage. I don’t. I secure my super fly, custom ti Engin road bike when I go on tour in case the cat sitter accidentally leaves a door unlocked.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-29-22 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-29-22, 08:19 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

It's obvious that those thieves targeted that bike, regardless of the lock. It's not like most locks are hard to get through in a few minutes anyway, I'm sure they wouldn't have been deterred had the beater bike been locked with a heavy duty lock.
In a target rich environment full of good bikes that are poorly locked, why are you "sure they wouldn't have been deterred had the beater bike been locked with a heavy duty lock"?

When better bikes with crappy locks are parked in the area, why would anyone spend more time and effort fighting with a better lock, to steal a worse bike???

It seems "obvious" to me that they saw a crappy lock, and they recognised it as opportunity, without any consideration of the bike.
Old 09-29-22, 08:54 AM
Milton Keynes

Never mind, just go on arguing for the sake of arguing.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-29-22, 09:12 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Yup. smasha is so busy arguing that he won't be able to actually ride his bike anywhere. Problem solved!
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-29-22, 09:33 AM
Gear_Admiral 

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Theft is a function of bike value and ease of defeating the lock and also bikes nearby.

I spray painted mine to look loke crud. Black all over, then reddish brown near joints to look like rust. This keeps actual rust at bay and makes the bike look bad to most, despite having good or new parts at any given time. (Except I do not bother with the chain.)

I have decent locks and park next to bikes that are more expensive and/or more poorly locked if gone for a few hours. My bike is never the best looking or most easily stolen bike in that area.

It is like that joke about two people walking in the woods who encounter a bear. One puts on his sneakers. The other says, "Man cannot outrun a bear." The first one replies, "I don't need to outrun the bear; I just need to outrun you."

No locking system can prevent thieves with tools and time from dismantking every pedal and crankshaft. But, you can make it so that your bike is the last to be targeted and that can buy you 6 hours perhaps in even a high-crime area.
Likes For Gear_Admiral:
Old 09-29-22, 01:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

How about stuffing some batteries down the seat tube and adding some simple wiring thus electrifying the bike so that anyone who touches gets a very unpleasant jolt - not enough to kill but to prevent them from touching it again. It could be controlled remotely or maybe with a switch hidden under the seat. No need to deface the bike unless they return with thick rubber gloves.

Or there is the highly controversial bike mine: https://bikerumor.com/bike-mine-thef...e-off-thieves/

Last edited by rsbob; 09-29-22 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-29-22, 02:07 PM
indyfabz

That’s what 🧌 🧌 do.
Old 09-29-22, 02:23 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by indyfabz
That’s what 🧌 🧌 do.
I HAVE JOINED THE MILTON FAN CLUB - MAKES A LOT OF SENSE AND FUNNY TOO. Way to go Milton!

Likes For rsbob:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.