Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic Vs mechanical brakes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hydraulic Vs mechanical brakes

Old 02-10-23, 06:12 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
So a very clear result in the video. No question hydraulic disc brakes have better performance on technical alpine descents and even more so if it's wet. The only slight surprise to me in that video was the significantly shorter stopping distance on the disc brakes in both dry and wet conditions - which strongly implies that rim brakes are actually power limited at high speed (he was stopping from 53 kph) and not capable of reaching the limit of tyre grip at those speeds even in the wet. Thinking back to my own fading experience of wet braking on fast descents I do recall rim brakes feeling woefully under-powered and slow to respond.

As there is no mention of lack of modulation in the video, I presume that comment was from your personal experience. Maybe your brakes have some issue (bleeding, pad contamination?), since accurate and consistent modulation is one of the primary advantages of hydraulic brakes. I've been using hydraulic disc brakes since 2004 in mtb and since 2019 on road bikes. Modulation has always been a strong point. Perhaps I've been lucky, but I really haven't had any major issues with disc brakes over 19 years of use on many different bikes. Only my mtb brakes have required the odd bleed.
Even Sheldon Brown's site says disc brakes can be grabby.

Why so much faster to stop? 1) 55 km/h is about 15 m/sec. 2) Rim brakes lack the immediacy of hydraulic disc brakes. 3) There is also a transient delay to heat the rim whereas a disc immediate.

The difference is like comparing analog to digital. On/Off light switch to a dimmer. They both get you to full brightness, one just takes a bit longer ( some hundreds of millisecond)

The range of hand force required is higher with rim brake and the braking force is lower, so the sensitivity is higher. Thus, easier to modulate. I don't care what idiotic blogs and articles say.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/disc-brakes.html
Old 02-10-23, 06:13 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 2,976 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Excellent question.
Why? Because:-

a) You are weighing up the pros and cons of buying a bike with disc brakes?

or

b) Because you are hoping they won't have any adjustment, so you can further prove to yourself that rim brakes are the best choice?

I know the answer, but you will be disappointed.
Old 02-10-23, 06:25 AM
GhostRider62

The very first time I rode my new HRD disc braked bike on a STRAVA segment that I have ridden a million times, I set a PB. It has several technical descents that you enter at high speed. I doubt that bike is any faster and I know my power was not any better, it is the brakes. They are vastly superior at high speed (40mph+) than any rim braked bike I have ridden
Old 02-10-23, 06:32 AM
GhostRider62

I presume you know those particular brakes have a bite point adjuster under the hoods? If you are finding the initial bite too aggressive, try backing off on the adjuster. Note that there is also a second adjuster for lever position/reach - which is independent of bite point.
I assume you did not read what I wrote WRT sensitivity.

If I move brake lever A 25 mm and generate 2x clamping force and Brake lever B moved 50 mm generates x clamping force, the sensitivity of lever B is 4 times greater than A.

Initial bite is irrelevant to the point being made.

The range of motion of the disc caliper is very small compared to a rim brake as are the range of motion of the levers themselves. This is what causes me to feel a lack of modulation, it takes very little movement on the disc brake lever to generate a lot of force. I only have 1200 miles on them, so, I am still learning but it is not comfortable yet
Old 02-10-23, 06:35 AM
GhostRider62

Bite point is merely an offset, it has no effect on the lever throw/clamping force relationship.
Old 02-10-23, 06:40 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Even Sheldon Brown's site says disc brakes can be grabby.

Why so much faster to stop? 1) 55 km/h is about 15 m/sec. 2) Rim brakes lack the immediacy of hydraulic disc brakes. 3) There is also a transient delay to heat the rim whereas a disc immediate.

The difference is like comparing analog to digital. On/Off light switch to a dimmer. They both get you to full brightness, one just takes a bit longer ( some hundreds of millisecond)

The range of hand force required is higher with rim brake and the braking force is lower, so the sensitivity is higher. Thus, easier to modulate. I don't care what idiotic blogs and articles say.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/disc-brakes.html
I agree that rim brakes are slower to respond to your input. Especially in the wet as demonstrated in the video.

Your thoughts on brake modulation are interesting. So you have equated higher hand force = easier modulation. But modulation really comes down to lever travel (resolution) and the consistency of the brake force response in relation to lever travel. Weighting of the lever is a personal preference and you could argue that they are set up too light, but that's just how most people prefer them.

I come from an mtb background so I'm used to 1 finger braking with decent modulation. You just have to learn not to grab the brakes too hard initially, which is unfortunately what rim brakes teach you to do!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-10-23, 06:48 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I mean, will disc brakes stop the bike? Will they?
According to some people, only hydraulic disc brakes have enough stopping power for any type of serious riding....Anything that's cable actuated has mediocre stopping power, is too complex to set up and adjust, requires frequent cable and housing replacement and should only be used on cheap department store bikes.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-10-23, 06:56 AM
PeteHski

I assume you did not read what I wrote WRT sensitivity.

If I move brake lever A 25 mm and generate 2x clamping force and Brake lever B moved 50 mm generates x clamping force, the sensitivity of lever B is 4 times greater than A.

Initial bite is irrelevant to the point being made.

The range of motion of the disc caliper is very small compared to a rim brake as are the range of motion of the levers themselves. This is what causes me to feel a lack of modulation, it takes very little movement on the disc brake lever to generate a lot of force. I only have 1200 miles on them, so, I am still learning but it is not comfortable yet
Are you trying to say that rim brake levers have more total travel than disc brake levers? Both are limited by reach and bar clearance so I would think they have roughly the same total travel. The real difference is that disc brakes produce a higher maximum braking force, which you can only utilise in high speed braking as demonstrated in the video. So of course you are using less of the travel when braking normally. Unfortunately you can't have it both ways unless you had a non-linear lever travel to force relationship i.e. rising rate.

I know you think the bite point is irrelevant, but you will find in practice that it helps a little if you are finding the brakes too grabby. Have you actually tried adjusting it? Think about the bite point with rim brakes, which you have been using for all these years. How much does the brake lever move before your brake blocks touch the rims? Is it more or less "dead" travel than what you have now on your disc brakes?

Last edited by PeteHski; 02-10-23 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-10-23, 07:10 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by wolfchild
According to some people, only hydraulic disc brakes have enough stopping power for any type of serious riding....Anything that's cable actuated has mediocre stopping power, is too complex to set up and adjust, requires frequent cable and housing replacement and should only be used on cheap department store bikes.
Voices in your head again?
Old 02-10-23, 07:24 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
The range of motion of the disc caliper is very small compared to a rim brake as are the range of motion of the levers themselves. This is what causes me to feel a lack of modulation, it takes very little movement on the disc brake lever to generate a lot of force.
This is what I was really inquiring about with my question. Same reason I can't make a 2 foot putt in golf. It requires a delicate touch and some fine motor skills in the muscles controlling that movement. That could be an issue for some including myself. Big learning adjustment. I can control that somewhat with how much of a gap I have between the pad and whatever it contacts with.
Old 02-10-23, 07:24 AM
GhostRider62

The range of lever travel on rim brakes does vary from Mfg to Mfg, but they are noticeably longer than on my HRD brakes. And, they offer less clamping force. So the force/mm of travel is much higher on my hydraulic disc brakes and that makes modulation more sensitive at least to my hands. The point isn't the delay until the pad hits the rim or rotor, rather, it is the smaller amount of lever pull needed to generate more force than with a rim brake. Thus, feathering the brakes for a corner is trickier. I do have peripheral neuropathy in my hands, so, I could be more sensitive to this difference in brake behavior. I do have to move the lever one click inwards and will play around also with the lower biter screw. I have been preoccupied for 2 months trying to get them to stop squealing and think I finally resolved it.

I think there was a mechanic in this thread making a similar comment.
Old 02-10-23, 07:31 AM
PeteHski

I do have to move the lever one click inwards and will play around also with the lower biter screw.
Just to be clear the reach adjuster is below the lever (2.5 mm hex) and the bite point adjuster is on the top. See video below:-

Old 02-10-23, 08:11 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,902 Times in 1,763 Posts
a) You are weighing up the pros and cons of buying a bike with disc brakes?
Pete, I've talked about this. Please keep up: My brakes work fine--probably better than some disc brakes. I have no desire to ever get a bike with disc brakes. I certainly would never add them to my current bike--simply no good reason, unless I wanted to make my bike heavier or uglier. If I ever do get another bike, it'll probably be some sort of a hybrid, and I won't have a choice as to what brakes it comes with. When I have to bleed my brakes the first time, I'll be in touch.

b) Because you are hoping they won't have any adjustment, so you can further prove to yourself that rim brakes are the best choice?
Captain Obvious has a challenger! But honestly, I don't really need to prove anything to myself. Folks on this Forum have done a much better job proving stuff to me.

I know the answer, but you will be disappointed.
Pete, don't sell yourself short! You could never disappoint me!
Old 02-10-23, 08:18 AM
smd4

You just have to learn not to grab the brakes too hard initially, which is unfortunately what rim brakes teach you to do!
Pete--zip up. Your confirmation bias is showing.

My brake levers probably move 1/4" before the shoes contact the rim. One finger braking is easy and often all I need.
Old 02-10-23, 08:21 AM
PeteHski

Pete, I've talked about this. Please keep up: My brakes work fine--probably better than some disc brakes. I have no desire to ever get a bike with disc brakes. I certainly would never add them to my current bike--simply no good reason, unless I wanted to make my bike heavier or uglier. If I ever do get another bike, it'll probably be some sort of a hybrid, and I won't have a choice as to what brakes it comes with. When I have to bleed my brakes the first time, I'll be in touch.
It was completely unnecessary for you to address point a). I was just being sarcastic presenting it as a comedy choice for your mindset. But I am now looking forward to your future disc brake hybrid. What if you actually like the brakes? Are you going to be big enough to admit it? Time will tell. Or more likely we'll all be long dead before it happens.
Old 02-10-23, 08:31 AM
PeteHski

Pete--zip up. Your confirmation bias is showing.

My brake levers probably move 1/4" before the shoes contact the rim. One finger braking is easy and often all I need.
Yeah right. My "confirmation bias" is based on actually preferring disc brakes first hand, not imagining how they might compare. If by now I had had a bad experience with disc brakes I would be agreeing with you about how great rim brakes are and would certainly not be riding a road bike with disc brakes.

You tell me to zip up and yet here you are on a thread specifically discussing mechanical vs hydraulic DISC brakes telling us that you have zero intention to ever get a bike with disc brakes. So what's your point other than trying to convince yourself that they are not worthy?
Old 02-10-23, 08:36 AM
smd4

It was completely unnecessary for you to address point a). I was just being sarcastic presenting it as a comedy choice for your mindset.
Comedy? Oh. Then I take it back.

But I am now looking forward to your future disc brake hybrid. What if you actually like the brakes? Are you going to be big enough to admit it? Time will tell. Or more likely we'll all be long dead before it happens.
Why wouldn't I like them? Unless they're a PITA to work on or squeak incessantly. If none of that, and they stop fine, I'll be good.
Old 02-10-23, 08:37 AM
smd4

Yeah right. My "confirmation bias" is based on actually preferring disc brakes first hand, not imagining how they might compare. If by now I had had a bad experience with disc brakes I would be agreeing with you about how great rim brakes are and would certainly not be riding a road bike with disc brakes.

You tell me to zip up and yet here you are on a thread specifically discussing mechanical vs hydraulic DISC brakes telling us that you have zero intention to ever get a bike with disc brakes. So what's your point other than trying to convince yourself that they are not worthy?
Pete, my son's bike has them. I've tried them. They offer nothing that I don't already have.
Old 02-10-23, 08:39 AM
PeteHski

Why wouldn't I like them? Unless they're a PITA to work on or squeak incessantly. If none of that, and they stop fine, I'll be good.
Because you think they are ugly and inelegant.
Old 02-10-23, 08:44 AM
PeteHski

Pete, my son's bike has them. I've tried them. They offer nothing that I don't already have.
They offer more braking performance (watch the video and tell me they don't), but you don't need it. What brakes does he have btw?
Old 02-10-23, 09:05 AM
smd4

They offer more braking performance (watch the video and tell me they don't), but you don't need it.
Exactly. But since you have zero idea how effective my brakes are, you really cannot comment or have an opinion.

What brakes does he have btw?
I have no idea. Whatever hydraulic discs came on a 2021 Giant Talon.
Old 02-10-23, 09:51 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Just because one a brake lever moves farther for a given increase in braking force does not mean it is easier to control.

Also, just because one brake needs more force at the lever for a given increase in braking force does not mean it is easier to control.

Anyone who has spent time on high quality hydros will know this.

More ”Sensitive” to input does not necessarily mean less control.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-10-23, 09:52 AM
PeteHski

Exactly. But since you have zero idea how effective my brakes are, you really cannot comment or have an opinion.

I have no idea. Whatever hydraulic discs came on a 2021 Giant Talon.
I rode bikes like yours in the 80s and early 90s extensively, so I've got a reasonable idea how effective they are. My last rim-brake road bike was from the late 90s with Shimano Ultegra brakes of that era. I don't remember them being any better or worse than those of the 80s. Adequate, but not something I would want to be using today out of choice.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-10-23, 09:56 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
As has been mentioned----this thread is about the choice between cable and hydro discs.

Everyone like different things.

A lot of people like to denigrate people who are different. Just like the rest of the world, BF is full of humans and a lot of humans feel a need to knock down as many people as possible to climb on top ... even if they are not actually knocking anyone but themselves, and descending into personal cesspools, why crowing about their victories.

Ride bikes. If you ride Fixie or Kamikaze, you don't need brakes. if you have brakes, cool.

Go somewhere and do something good. Be someone good.
Old 02-10-23, 09:56 AM
smd4

I rode bikes like yours in the 80s and early 90s extensively, so I've got a reasonable idea how effective they are. My last rim-brake road bike was from the late 90s with Shimano Ultegra brakes of that era. I don't remember them being any better or worse than those of the 80s. Adequate, but not something I would want to be using today out of choice.
Not good enough.

I agree that brakes in the '80s, even Dura Ace single pivots, were no great shakes. However, today I'm using Dura Ace dual-pivots with compressionless housing. You really don't have any idea how effective my brakes are.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.