Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Old 09-16-05, 08:31 PM
bikeUSA50

Bikes: Fisher CR7 and Raleigh Elkhorn (my urban destroyer)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally found someone with a Milano. I'm considering one. How do you like it?

Thx
Old 09-16-05, 08:35 PM
filtersweep

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
(Crossposted)

After two years of riding my 40 mile round trip commute on a fixed gear- carrying a backpack, I finally unconverted one of my fixed gears and made a commuter frankenbike. This will be my car when I relocate overseas.

Generic Nitto wannabe moustaches from Ben's Bike in Milwaukee, a Nitto stem, lugged steel mystery frameset, clamp-on Shimano 600 downtube friction shifters (only used for the rear), single 42 FSA chainring up front, square taper BB and crankset of unknown origin, Shimano 105 front brake, Tektro rear, front wheel is a Campy hub laced to an Ambrosio rim, rear is a 105 7-speed hub with a Wolber rim, Gary Fisher rack from a swap meet holding half of the Trans-It panniers, Selle Italia XO saddle, assorted lights, Topeak Road Morph pump, Crank Borthers Eggbeater pedals.

Old 09-16-05, 08:43 PM
muccapazza
brain damaged bovine

Location: back on the dental floss ranch, wielding zircon encrusted tweezers

Bikes: Schwinn wrecked ol' Probe 1x2, 84 Bianchi Limited,Cannondale F400,Raleigh 20 folder,78 Schwinn LeTour III Fixed Gear,Redline Conquest Pro,71-73 Gitane TdF,Gitane Grand Sport de Luxe,78 Raleigh Super Course,80 Schwinn World Sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by filtersweep
(Crossposted)

After two years of riding my 40 mile round trip commute on a fixed gear- carrying a backpack, I finally unconverted one of my fixed gears and made a commuter frankenbike. This will be my car when I relocate overseas.
I'm having almost as much fun deconverting one of my fixers as I had converting it. Kinda wish I hadn't lopped off the derailleur hanger, though.
Old 09-16-05, 10:34 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AjAx
the old beaut...you've got to love steel at times.
Classic. Love'em skinny tubes.
Old 09-17-05, 06:16 AM
filtersweep

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you make a hanger that attaches to the axel?
Old 09-19-05, 08:20 AM
FraAngelico

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corsaire
Thanks guys, I now think got it.
This is my commuter Bianchi Volpe '03, it has: frog pedals, Ascent rear rack, Nashbar panniers, Protege 9.0 Cyclo Computer (Planet Bike), Armadillos Nimbus 700x28C, PlanetBike Fredy fenders (custom painted to "kind of" match the bike color) and perhaps the most important feature: the safety flash flag.
Corsaire
Hey nice bike. I'm looking at a new Volpe, but it doesn't come with eyelets on the back for both rack and fender. Does yours? If not, did you have any trouble installing both rack and fender?

thanks FraAngelico
Old 09-19-05, 12:14 PM
awanabug
awanabug

Bikes: 1976 Pugeot road bike with potatochipped wheels, '98 Huffy MTB with bad wheel, '2000 Mongoose hybrid with bad shifters & my newest ont, '73 Nishiki road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is my current commuter: Approximately 1973 Nishiki road bike with kangaroo panniers, took off the toe clips cause they were more of a problem than a help in my commute. I got it a year ago after a friend died and I went to his estate auction, picking it up for only $8.00. I made the homemade fenders (old bike tire) I added plenty of reflective tape and a new cheapo reflective $10.00 Wal Mart tire. Gets me my 12.5 miles to work and in the evening it gets me back again. I went from a mountain bike several years ago to a hybrid 4 1/2 years ago to this road bike. The road bike is much faster. I avoid riding in rain or snow or when snow is still encroaching on the roads because of heavy traffic, but have been caught in rain/snow at times & it seems to work well, even in the winter down to zero or below.
Old 09-19-05, 06:20 PM
McHargue
Junior Recumbenteer

Bikes: Easy Racers Ti-Rush, Velokraft VK-2, Rans Screamer (soon)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commuting speed machine (and comfy, too). Easy Racers Ti-Rush with many mods, including "in your face" daylight-visible lighting.

Bill.
Old 09-27-05, 01:01 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by McHargue
My commuting speed machine (and comfy, too). Easy Racers Ti-Rush with many mods, including "in your face" daylight-visible lighting.

Bill.
What an incredibly cool machine! It looks like Bruce Wayne's bike.
Old 09-27-05, 02:02 PM
lancekagar
Champion Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't do much commuting anymore since I'm now self-employed and work at home, but I've been riding this bike EVERYWHERE as my main ride for six years now. Used it for messenger work in Chicago, L.A., and San Francisco. Seven speeds with flat pedals and a CETMArack. All I need. It is the perfect ride for me.

Last edited by lancekagar; 02-23-06 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-27-05, 02:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Here's Super Fred, my craptastic 80s-vintage all-rigid, steel GT Outpost mountain bike. I rescued him from the rafters of my parents' garage where he hung for many years after my sister abandoned him for a fancy Gary Fisher. I needed a dedicated child-trailer hauler and this fit the bill perfectly.

To make him rideable, all I had to do was replace the bottom bracket, replace the rotted tires, and lube and tighten. I added a few things: first the Chariot hitch since the main purpose was to pull the twins' trailer. Then the bar ends, but that wasn't enough so I threw on an old set of aerobars. It makes the handlebars look like a hat rack but they're a big help when pulling the kids into a headwind.

I started riding Super Fred to work, just for fun. I tend to race whenever I'm on my road bike and this was a nice alternative. I thought I'd make Super Fred my bad weather commuter, so I added the rack and fenders. The milk crate is a nice dorky touch, don't you think?

Old 09-28-05, 09:47 PM
MikeM21

Bikes: '96 C40, '04 C50, '04 Merlin Magia, '97 Stumpjumper, '04 Specilaized Roubaix

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 178 Posts
Here's my Specialized Roubaix rigged for commuting. Performance seatpost rack, Trans-it rack trunk and mini-panniers, Viewpoint dual front light, cateye computer and bell.

Needs a bath!

Mike

Old 09-28-05, 11:18 PM
tkiisel
The King of Bonk

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Hardtail, Cannondale Criterium, Diamondback Assent DX (My Commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my commuter. An old Diamondback mtn bike with Old Man Mountain racks.
Old 09-29-05, 08:06 PM
ecclescake
yummy

Bikes: 1971 Schwinn Varsity (ladies' frame with big handlebar basket, truly an uphill bike); 2005 Soma DoubleCross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

Well, now that I'm not commuting anymore (temporarily I hope), here's a picture of my baby. I just got it in July and was really able to ramp up my commuting (7 very hilly miles each way; previous commuter: 1971 Schwinn Varsity ladies' frame with a big steel basket up front...and one original tire!).

14 mi/day for 4 days a week is the most consistent exercise I've ever gotten. Boy, do I miss that. I quit my job last Tuesday and started a series of all-nighters to finish up a hobby project that I've been working on that I hope to turn into a career. So I've only had time to run short errands for the past week. Then next Tuesday my bikes get packed up and put into storage while I fly out to NYC to work for six weeks (guess I'll go back to jogging), then I fly down to LA to get my stuff out of storage and look for an apartment and a job. At least November in Southern California should be a pleasant time to ride. Although I won't get to find out what it's like to commute through the rainy season here in Seattle.

So anyway, I thought I'd better post this picture now so I can look at it while I'm bikeless in New York these next couple of months. Then I'll get back in the swing of things down in LA. (NB: I hate riding in hot sunny weather. Hopefully it won't be too bad until next spring/summer when I'll be more accustomed to it.)

Good riding,
ecclescake
Old 09-30-05, 07:26 PM
michaelnel
Macaws Rock!

Bikes: 2005 Soma Doublecross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's the latest iteration of my Soma Double Cross. Changed to SKS fenders, added the Tubus Vega rack. Next I'm stripping the 105 brifters off and going to barcons with Nitto Noodle bars and a Nitto threadless stem with Tektro 221 aero brake levers and cloth tape.

Then I think I'm done.

San Francisco, California
Old 09-30-05, 07:29 PM
michaelnel
Macaws Rock!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ecclescake
At least November in Southern California should be a pleasant time to ride. Although I won't get to find out what it's like to commute through the rainy season here in Seattle.
Bring all your rain gear. November is usually when the rain starts with a vengeance in California, and SoCal gets a LOT of it. Not like Seattle, but ...

Old 10-01-05, 08:32 AM
Quickbeam
Beer is delicious!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelnel
Here's the latest iteration of my Soma Double Cross. Changed to SKS fenders, added the Tubus Vega rack. Next I'm stripping the 105 brifters off and going to barcons with Nitto Noodle bars and a Nitto threadless stem with Tektro 221 aero brake levers and cloth tape.

Then I think I'm done.
Nice looking commuter Michael. Good component selection and build. I think it'll be even better with the Nitto Noodle/Bar-end shifter conversion! Enjoy your ride!
Old 10-01-05, 02:19 PM
Rich vSB
Steel and Leather

Bikes: Ritchey Ascent, Palo Alto Racing, Gary Fisher 229, Surly 1x1, Bianchi Pista, Windsor Tourist, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Surly LHT -- Peter White wheels w/ Schmidt hub and headlight -- Tubus racks -- B17 Saddle -- Thomson stem and seatpost -- TA chainrings -- Nitto Randonneur bars up high where I can get to 'em.
Old 10-01-05, 03:16 PM
michaelnel
Macaws Rock!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Quickbeam
Nice looking commuter Michael. Good component selection and build. I think it'll be even better with the Nitto Noodle/Bar-end shifter conversion! Enjoy your ride!
Thank you. I don't like the current bars. They're ugly and not comfortable (Salsa Short & Shallow or something like that). And I've just never liked the feel of Shimano SIS brifters. The 105s work well, but I just find them awkward. I had barcons on my Atlantis and much preferred them. I think I'll prefer them on this bike too.

Old 10-01-05, 03:20 PM
michaelnel
Macaws Rock!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich vSB
My Surly LHT -- Peter White wheels w/ Schmidt hub and headlight -- Tubus racks -- B17 Saddle -- Thomson stem and seatpost -- TA chainrings -- Nitto Randonneur bars up high where I can get to 'em.
Nice LHT! Peter builds the best wheels in the biz, IMO. He built a set for my Atlantis with a Phil touring rear hub and the Schmidt front, using Mavic T519 rims (same rims I built the wheels on my Soma with) and Wheelsmith DB spokes (again, what I used building my Soma wheels). His wheels were absolutely bulletproof, and never required any truing even though I toured on them with 90# of total bike & load (not counting my 250lb svelte body) and rode on lots of rough roads. I also had that Tubus Cargo rack like you have, although I had a Bruce Gordon front rack.

Enjoy that wonderful bike, I wish it was mine!

Old 10-03-05, 08:22 AM
m.e.nunu30030

Bikes: raliegh m30 and motobecane gigi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i commute about 11 miles in a day on average to work. love it.
this is my new bike. it's a 2005 motobecane gigi that i will hopefully have for the rest of my life. yeah, it's pink. it's in the parking spot in my room. (yes, my room is orange)

Old 10-03-05, 08:29 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's mine sans the removal headlight. Also, I'm using a Timex Bodylink System for measuring my mileage and effort.

Currently, I'm carrying a backpack with waist and chest cinches.

Old 10-03-05, 10:27 AM
hubs
@#$% cars

Bikes: '02 Schwinn Frontier;'03 Fisher Tiburon; '04 Raleigh Companion; 04 Dahon SpeedPro; 69 Raleigh Sport fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
m.e.nunu30030 -- cool looking bike! enjoy it. It is usually advisable to avoid the big-big and small-small gears ... the chain looks pretty tight on the big ring on front and the big ring (or 2nd) on back. Usually the chain is a little slack also if you run smallest in front and small in back.
Old 10-03-05, 06:35 PM
Alcyon
Hydraulic Disks

Bikes: Kona Dew Deluxe 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's mine... Finally got a picture.

Old 10-03-05, 08:11 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My touring, commuter, recreational and poseur-droppin darlin - Mariko san. She has many outfits (what woman doesn't?), in this she is in her summer short-shorts, ready for a nice long day trip (some folks call it a century).
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.