Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.3

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.3

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-22, 01:30 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
I get the Columbus Day thing - sorta / kinda - but where does it end ?

What about all the Carnegie halls and libraries ? Andrew Carnegie was terrible

Henry Frick was terrible

and so were many more like them
For one, if you endow a building/ library/ school/ whatever, that is objectively a different scenario from Columbus Day. Have you seen the whole history of it? It's not even a century old, was certainly not funded by the man, and unlike the counter-examples is not a public good in itself. Deciding to lionize a terrible historical figure because a then-marginalized group felt it was a great way to build awareness is an easily-corrected mistake. We should do that.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 10-10-22, 01:33 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
What was that outage all about?? Someone accidentally pulled out a plug at HQ?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-10-22, 01:36 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12738 Post(s)
Liked 7,648 Times in 4,056 Posts
Is that tea made with cow's milk?? Or 50/50 tea/milk??
Standard milk tea I get at the Vietnamese places is black tea with milk, served on ice.

This milk tea has all kinds of other stuff in it. Some kind of funky Asian molasses, crunchy sweet bits of something, boba, leechee chunks I think, whipped cream...
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Did you swap in a different wheel?
Not yet. This is my only Campy bike, but I should be able to drop a Shimano wheel in and get the chain aligned well enough to verify if it's hub or BB related. Good suggestion.
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Coincidentally enough, speaking of annoying noises, one good thing is that the kids out back who were the biggest driver of me hating this house have just... stopped. When the weather started turning warm back in Feb/ Mar I was worried they'd start coming out again before it got hot, and they did. Once. Either most of it was pandemic home-schooling cabin fever or they aged up to where it's no longer fun horse playing with your brother in the back yard. They're still there, as I see them occasionally walking to school while I'm coming back from my run, but I literally never see them in the yard anymore, or playing outside. It has been a whole lot more livable here than it seemed it would be a year ago.

Now excuse me while I go tap out a rhythm on my butcher block.
Old 10-10-22, 01:43 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I dunno, either. That's the problem. I'm a decent bike mechanic, and there are few tasks that I can't handle myself. This one has me stumped.

The noise only happens when the pedals are turning. It's baffling. I'm not even sure I can describe the sound in words. It's not typical at all. I'm 98.3% sure it's something related to the rear hub/freewheel/cassette. That said, I'm probably going to take a close look a the cranks and BB next.
Check the derailleur hanger bolts and see if they’ve loosened up.
Likes For primov8:
Old 10-10-22, 01:49 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Against doctor's orders, I did a 36 mile ride with my wife after my 22nd eye penetration/molestation.

My wife didn’t want me to go but the weather is great and the rest of the week looks pretty poor so I dug out the darkest sunglasses with the most protection that I could find and went out. Gorgeous day for a ride.

Old 10-10-22, 01:56 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12738 Post(s)
Liked 7,648 Times in 4,056 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Against doctor's orders, I did a 36 mile ride with my wife after my 22nd eye penetration/molestation.

My wife didn’t want me to go but the weather is great and the rest of the week looks pretty poor so I dug out the darkest sunglasses with the most protection that I could find and went out. Gorgeous day for a ride.
I'd probably be rockin' some MX or ski goggles
Old 10-10-22, 02:16 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
Not yet. This is my only Campy bike, but I should be able to drop a Shimano wheel in and get the chain aligned well enough to verify if it's hub or BB related. Good suggestion.
I put my 10s Campagnolo wheel on my 10s Shimano bike because I wanted the lowest gear I could get for a trip. It worked in certain gears but was noisy in others. Worked fine in the big cog but I broke the freehub body before the trip. Luckily a guy sold me a Shimano cassette cheap with a big enough cookie for the Eastern Sierra trip.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-10-22, 02:22 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Coincidentally enough, speaking of annoying noises, one good thing is that the kids out back who were the biggest driver of me hating this house have just... stopped. When the weather started turning warm back in Feb/ Mar I was worried they'd start coming out again before it got hot, and they did. Once. Either most of it was pandemic home-schooling cabin fever or they aged up to where it's no longer fun horse playing with your brother in the back yard. They're still there, as I see them occasionally walking to school while I'm coming back from my run, but I literally never see them in the yard anymore, or playing outside. It has been a whole lot more livable here than it seemed it would be a year ago.

Now excuse me while I go tap out a rhythm on my butcher block.
Were they doing something obnoxious while outside playing?
Old 10-10-22, 02:44 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by phrantic09
Were they doing something obnoxious while outside playing?
Screaming. Near-constantly, in the sense of "off and on every few minutes" not "literally every second" while horse playing with each other. From 4pm when I was trying to unwind after work until dark or after, with a brief break for dinner. Yes, this meant until 830pm on some days of not being able to relax in the living room without frequent high-pitched interruptions. Or the bedroom. Every weekday and sometimes on weekends, for months. Through fancy variable-thickness windows.

If you're wondering whether I'm enough of a grouch to care about the existence of children playing outside, no, of course not. They were really, really loud.
Old 10-10-22, 02:46 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Screaming. Near-constantly, in the sense of "off and on every few minutes" not "literally every second" while horse playing with each other. From 4pm when I was trying to unwind after work until dark or after, with a brief break for dinner. Yes, this meant until 830pm on some days of not being able to relax in the living room without frequent high-pitched interruptions. Or the bedroom. Every weekday and sometimes on weekends, for months. Through fancy variable-thickness windows.

If you're wondering whether I'm enough of a grouch to care about the existence of children playing outside, no, of course not. They were really, really loud.
I’d be irritated AF by that. That’s one thing I like about having trees and not neighbors behind me.
Old 10-10-22, 02:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by big john
I put my 10s Campagnolo wheel on my 10s Shimano bike because I wanted the lowest gear I could get for a trip. It worked in certain gears but was noisy in others. Worked fine in the big cog but I broke the freehub body before the trip. Luckily a guy sold me a Shimano cassette cheap with a big enough cookie for the Eastern Sierra trip.
I have Shimano 9s and 10s wheels on hand, but my Campy wheel is 11s. Sticking a Shimano wheel in, and dialing the derailleur adjustment for just 1 gear will at least help me narrow the possibilities.
Old 10-10-22, 03:08 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
I dunno, either. That's the problem. I'm a decent bike mechanic, and there are few tasks that I can't handle myself. This one has me stumped.

The noise only happens when the pedals are turning. It's baffling. I'm not even sure I can describe the sound in words. It's not typical at all. I'm 98.3% sure it's something related to the rear hub/freewheel/cassette. That said, I'm probably going to take a close look a the cranks and BB next.
Do you have a different rear wheel you can swap in to see if the noise stays or goes?
Old 10-10-22, 03:11 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by rjones28
Do you have a different rear wheel you can swap in to see if the noise stays or goes?
Per my comments with Big John above, I'll be giving that a try tonight.
Old 10-10-22, 03:33 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

I’d be irritated AF by that. That’s one thing I like about having trees and not neighbors behind me.
Yes, it is much or most of the reason I hate this house. It's still too small, but very much livable now. I just don't want to be in Texas.

It is also a legitimately sad situation, because the older boy (two boys with a girl between, by age) has a look to his movements that I've only seen with ADHD kids, which must have been miserable during homeschooling if that's the case. And they're likely low-income for the neighborhood; they drive a Mazda5 which isn't bad in abstract but usually an odd car like that isn't anyone's first choice. Their garage door doesn't work, and the yard is literally just dirt. Not even grass. I'd have been happy to give them an Xbox or a pile of Lego boxes, or both, if that would help keep them occupied, but it of course went very sideways the one time I tried to talk to them.

Now, the dad does throw Frisbees into a net. I know that's what it's for because I saw it last year, but even though the net went up this year (it's orange and VERY visible if you look out the back window, lest anyone think this is me being the nosy neighbor) I haven't seen it in use. No skin off my nose; happy as it is. Hoping we and the world can just get through the next 6-8 months and get gone.
Old 10-10-22, 04:08 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10151 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
You WHAT? Right after a molestation?
Old 10-10-22, 04:15 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Quoted: 3170 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,152 Posts
What was that outage all about?? Someone accidentally pulled out a plug at HQ?
I thought it was my computer
Old 10-10-22, 04:21 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Quoted: 3170 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,152 Posts
While you're at it, you could try it without a wheel at all.
Or without a chain. My bikes have SunTour open cage derailleurs on them so no chain breaking involved. What a great design that was.
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 10-10-22, 04:21 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22575 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
With penetration??

Reported
Old 10-10-22, 04:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
That was one advantage of the back end of our yard when it was all crapped up - privacy. Now it's been cleared, and so have the neighbors' yards, and I can see them sometimes. Luckily, though our yard is flat, theirs are quite steep, so there's not much reason for them to be out there.

As we look at houses, I'm seeing a wide variety of possibilities as far as yards go. If you want "walkable", you're not going to get much yard. If you want a yard, you might have to either give up on walkable or stretch the definition. Oh, and they have an ENTIRELY different definition of "bikeable" - they mean biking to destinations like work or shopping. I mean getting out on the road for 20-60 miles where there are trees and not so damn many cars. I think this may become a bone of contention at some point.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-10-22, 04:22 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22575 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
I thought it was my computer
Not this time. I confirmed the whole site was down. Prolly only for 30-40 minutes or so.
Old 10-10-22, 04:27 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Shhh...

Old 10-10-22, 04:45 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

If I wake up tomorrow with my eye all red and swollen shut, you medical guys can say, "Told you so, Stupid."

Seriously, I'm about ready to tell my doc that I'm done with the injections. He said that my eye has reached a point where the injections aren't making my eyesight better but only to keep the swelling stable. I asked him about stopping and he said it was my choice and then confused me with some medical mumbo jumbo that I couldn't follow but it sounded like if I stopped with the injections that my body would try to "fix" the situation (Tributary retinal vein occlusion, bilateral, with macular edema) by itself and make things worse.

Whatever...

Old 10-10-22, 04:48 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11954 Post(s)
Liked 6,610 Times in 3,469 Posts
. . . . no good will come of challenging their perceptions.
I experience that reality all the time with my wife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.