Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What to upgrade? (Detailed context within)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What to upgrade? (Detailed context within)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-22, 04:07 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Caveat: I haven't read all the responses so my comments might be redundant. For $3500 you can buy a new bike that will be an improvement. One example is a CAAD 13 but there are several, if you can find one. You might also find something used at a site like The Pro's Closet. I recently bought a Guru Photon (2016) that is all Dura Ace mechanical and weighs 15 lb 3 oz as ridden. It cost me $2500. As for upgrades......in my 40 yrs of cycling the best upgrade I have ever made has been Mavic Ksyrium Elite USTs (tubeless). They are lighter, smoother, more comfortable and spin up faster.
Old 07-03-22, 04:44 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
IMHO, I think the tires, clipless pedals and bike fit suggestions are quick routes to achieving the faster and comfortable goals the OP stated they are looking for. I suspect wanting to do these things in conjunction with recently getting into cycling has brought on a case of upgraditis. Throwing $3500 at this may lead to some disappointment and discouragement that knocks some of the luster off of this new hobby. A good diet, and strengthening the core will not dig into that $3500 nest egg but will also help with speed gains and comfort.

Someone already suggested riding and identifying what you like and don't like about the current bike for a while. I think that is a good strategy for the OP.