Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 06-02-11, 05:39 AM
the_doctor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The CRW West Bridgewater ride is every Thursday night. There is usually a fast group which averages 21 for 33-40 miles. It is every Thursday at 6 PM. They meet at the Route 106/Rt 24 commuter parking lot.

I will be there. There is Lots of fun with this group.
Bill
Old 06-02-11, 06:54 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Thanks for your reply. I wote about it just becuase it was a strange occurence and I was puzzled by how it happened,...
It's now about 21 hours after onset, and I still need to keep my uninvolved eye closed.
You must have picked up some debris in your eye, I guess.

I suggest you keep both eyes shut, espcialky whiul tyrinh tfo typf inyo BNijeDourums,
Old 06-02-11, 07:00 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

I hope all of you here in Massachusetts came through last night's storms okay. Best wishes to those affected.

I chose not to do the bike commute yesterday because of the weather prediction. It was a good decision.
Old 06-02-11, 08:08 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4223 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
If I'd ridden at my usual times yesterday, I'd have avoided the storm, but chose to listen to the forecasts and rode the T instead. Probably would have been a painful ride home with the headwind, but I took the weekend off and am way behind on where I'd like to be with regard to miles, so I kind of wish I'd done it. The tailwind out of the west was nice on the ride in this morning, but I sure hope it drops off by the time I go home.

Old 06-02-11, 09:49 AM
JandersUF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Somehow in this beautiful weather I picked up a bit of a cough/cold bug. Nothing serious, but enough to keep me from riding before work the past few days. Actually going to hop on the trainer for a few minutes now (I know! I know! its 70 out! I just want to be stationary in case I fall over from a coughing fit!).
Old 06-02-11, 11:17 AM
pocky

Bikes: '00 Kona Yee Ha, '83 Schwinn World (fix), '96 KHS Montana Descent (w/ RS XC-32), '05 Fort Ro.SLC (totaled), '01 Burley Rumba tandem, '15 Mattioli R1, '14 Nashbar Big Ol' Fat Bike, '96 Fuji Marlboro folder (drops), '04 Jamis Satellite, '04 Giant TCX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I chose not to do the bike commute yesterday because of the weather prediction. It was a good decision.
I did the commute yesterday, much to my wife's horror.

A couple miles from my office, I noticed a slow leak in my rear tire. When I left in the evening, I planned to just quickly use a pump (I stupidly took home and left home the one I *was* keeping in my office) on somebody's bike near BU, or at one of the several bike shops within walking distance, but it looks like theft here means nobody leaves pumps on their bikes, and a bus came by before I reached the shops, so I just threw the bike on the bus rack. Of course by the time I got to Watertown Sq, there were no open shops and no pumps on bikes anywhere, no bus in sight for the last leg, of the trip (and the 71 buses don't have racks anyway), and wife with car not responding to her cellphone, so I started walking and kept calling her. Less then a mile from home, when I started to feel raindrops and hear thunder, I finally got a phone call from her. I said "Oh good, you're there, can you pick me up? And she said, "You need to stop walking, lock the bike, and get inside a store or something RIGHT NOW." After locking the bike and running a few blocks, I hid in the door shelter under Sevan Bakery through a good half hour of torrential rain and extremely close lightning, and during a bit of a lull, she then picked me up, all the while lecturing me that a door shelter is not "inside", and it was *still* too bad be driving in this right now. Yeah, I know, she's right.

I'm taking her home from school on the tandem today -- should be good weather and a nice way to make up for putting her through that yesterday.
Old 06-02-11, 06:10 PM
UG7890

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I am very new to road bikes and to taking cycling "seriously" (I used to ride bikes literally everyday when I was little). I have recently decided to resurrect my long loved hobby (and get back into shape )

Today, I bought a Shogun 200 for $100. Seems to be in fair/good shape, but I would rather have some pro's look at it and tell me what I should do. I figure this bike is a good entry level bike. (I don't know if it matters but it's a woman's bike lol) What do you guys think?

Anyways, I am located around the Ashland/Framingham/Holliston area, so if there is any close by cycling community, I would like to get in touch.

-Eugene.
Old 06-02-11, 06:54 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by UG7890
Hi, I am very new to road bikes and to taking cycling "seriously" ... I have recently decided to resurrect my long loved hobby (and get back into shape )
Welcome to BF! A lot of people have done just what you are doing, reviving an old hobby for fun and better health. Pedal on! Keep doing it!

Today, I bought a Shogun 200 for $100. Seems to be in fair/good shape, but I would rather have some pro's look at it and tell me what I should do. I figure this bike is a good entry level bike. (I don't know if it matters but it's a woman's bike lol) What do you guys think?
I'm not familiar with the Shogun models though I remember the name. But that sounds like a decent price for a rideable bike with everything in good working order. That's the key, of course. Whether it is entry-level or not doesn't make a whole lot of difference unless you are, say, trying to keep up with the A group in a club ride (which sure isn't my cup of tea, for what that's worth).

As to the bike being a woman's, the more common term today is step-through, and it isn't considered a woman's bike per se. With modern bikes all having a sloping TT anyway, there isn't any difference between a traditional "men's" diamond frame and step-through. If your bike is a mixte frame, good specimens are sometimes in high demand.

If you want advice on maintenance and stuff to check before you ride much, you should probably post a thread in Classic&Vintage. Lots of good folks hang out there! They also appreciate old and uncommon stuff, so you would find lots of mixte advocates. Pics would be good. If you start putting many miles on it you really need to be confident that the bottom bracket, hubs, and headset are clean and newly lubricated. That's not hard to do but it can take specialized tools and some knowing what to expect. Wheels should be true, etc...

Anyways, I am located around the Ashland/Framingham/Holliston area, so if there is any close by cycling community, I would like to get in touch.
I can't help you there, I tend to ride more solo. This is the right place to ask though!
Old 06-02-11, 08:02 PM
UG7890

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Jimmuller! (Especially for clearing up the "gender" issue)

Sorry (in advance) if I post things not in the right section as I am still getting familiar with this forum.

Just a quick update: just went on my first "ride", boy do I have a lot of work to do... Don't know the exact miles (will check tonight) but my guess is probably 2.5 with mild ups and downs and I was absolutely dying and my stomach was hurting. (makes me miss the childhood days)

What is something you guys would recommend eating before going cycling?

Regardless, was a bit windy, but other than that, great night for a first night of cycling.

Plan to drive down to the CAPE tomorrow and ride some of those trails. Should be fun.
Old 06-02-11, 08:38 PM
pokey1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check with any of the LBS (local bike shop) they will know about local rides and such.
The Charles River Wheelmen are a local group and are online

wpt
Old 06-02-11, 09:33 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ouch!!!!!!! I've had a lot of dirt flying into my eyes this past week, not sure why...

20 miles to go for my 5k goal. just hoping I don't wipe out tomorrow
Old 06-03-11, 12:31 PM
JandersUF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got a pleasant 45mi in through cambridge to carlise this AM; now on to an airplane and a weeks vacation (without a bike! eeek!). I'll come back strong after this "Rest week!"
Old 06-03-11, 01:32 PM
godshammgod

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easy and gorgeous 25 mile ride with a co-worker who's training for the PMC. Sometimes it's nice to just get out and cruise and enjoy the sun. Plus my legs needed an easy day with a big weekend on tap. Aiming for 150+ miles this weekend including a century on Sunday.
Old 06-03-11, 06:43 PM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
woohoo, made it! 5000 miles in a year

I'm sure a lot of you guys ride more than I do, but I bet I weigh much more than you so this is a big deal for me :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
5000miles.jpg (86.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 06-03-11, 08:19 PM
godshammgod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
woohoo, made it! 5000 miles in a year

I'm sure a lot of you guys ride more than I do, but I bet I weigh much more than you so this is a big deal for me :-)
Awesome.

I also like the estimated total calorie burn of 267,000. That's a whole lot of beer.
Old 06-03-11, 08:20 PM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
clydes burn more calories per mile :-)
Old 06-04-11, 06:37 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

What is something you guys would recommend eating before going cycling?
Plan to drive down to the CAPE tomorrow and ride some of those trails. Should be fun.
Eating? Ah, food, I think. There's always lots of discussion about food. It depends on what kind of riding you plan to do. If I'm going out for a 50mi jaunt the critical meal is breakfast. Something with no refined sugar, but good complex carbohydrates and mixture of other stuff. I like steel-cut oats (neither trivial nor common) with some fruit and nuts such as raw almonds, maybe an egg, orange juice, coffee. That won't last me the whole trip but the egg will help in that department. I'll carry a banana and a Larabar or two, some dried fruit like raisins, dates, figs, and maybe even a sandwich on a long day. Of course one can always stop and buy something, except that the stuff available at convenience stores is usually high on convenience, sugar, and saturated fat, but low on "real" foodness. One more thing, drink lots of water.

How'd your Cape ride do? Did you find more hills than you expected?
Old 06-04-11, 02:37 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Damn the abrasion, full speed ahead.

Today is day three after onset of my corneal abrasion, and I was scheduled for a 59 mile ride for my 10 week century training program. By day number two I felt fine with occasional relapses of slight irritation, and I really needed the long ride. So I donned my winter cycling safety glasses for further eye protection beyond my usual perscription eyeglasses, and left Kenmore Square headed down to Norwood to work for a few hours, via the South Shore. I previously described the South Shore sector in my aforementioned Metro Boston cycling compendium as:

…South Shore beyond Quincy and Weymouth and into Hingham, Scituate, Marshfield, etc: Atlantic coastal, nice riding, though I find it hardest to get to because of confusing suburbs and pretty heavy and industrial sections, especially Weymouth...
Since my longer rides are usually time-limited, I tend to stick to main roads to avoid getting lost. This season I have become more adventurous, and today I found a beautiful “backdoor” route to Hingham and the South Shore bypassing Rte 3A. Hingham is a picturesque coastal town with a lot of stately old homes. I planned to go on to Cohasset and down to Scituate, but on a whim I went to Hull and Nantasket Beach. MetroWest cycling may be bucolic, but the bracing salt air of the Ocean coast on a sunny day is a worthy destination itself.

Leaving Nantasket, I figured I would then start heading towards Norwood to make my mileage quota. I found Rte 228 to be a fabulous cycling road from Hull to Rockland. It was shady, totally residential with beautiful homes, a road surface as good as any in Dover, and a wide to adequate shoulder. Surprisingly though, there was a lot of traffic, but tolerable since it was on residential road. Furthermore I noted a nice-looking blacktop path along side the street. Routes 123 and 139 to Stoughton were not as nice, but did have a good shoulder for riding. Pearl Street to Pleasant Street in Canton was a nice backroad from Stoughton to Canton, though with an uneven road surface. Total miles were 60.4.

It's now about four hours since I arrived, and my eyes feel little fatigued just from being outdoors, but I don't feel any damage otherwise from the ride. At about mile 50 I did apply some non-medicated eyedrops given to me by the eye doctor. The safety glasses for winter riding are fine to prevent fogging but don't fit particularly well without winter hedgear. I intend to shop for some regular goggles to go over my eyeglasses, and I'll also have to buy a helmet mounted mirror rather than the eyeglass-mounted mirror I use now since I don't think it will fit with the goggles. I am now very aware of eye protection for cycling. In response to my thread about the abrasion to the Commuting Forum, the wise buzzman of Newton wrote:

Originally Posted by buzzman
…I shouldn't even say this--especially since you posted this in commuting not A&S--- but I keep imagining there are anti-safety glasses people out there, like the "helmets won't save your life" crowd who'll condemn me for even suggesting wearing such things. I can hear them now,"I've ridden every day of my life and never had my eye poked out or gotten anything in it." Or "I'm just as likely to get something in my eye walking down the street as I am on a bike!" Well, I guess, but I like having eye protection on my rides.

A few years ago I went for an eye exam and the doctor said my eyes showed evidence of wear like people who do a lot of sailing or are outside a lot- not even knowing I was a cyclist- it got me wearing the glasses pretty regularly. I mean once you've been commuting for 40 years or more by bike you start thinking about the long term wear and tear of riding a bike every day- as good as it is for the body it takes a toll if you're not careful...
Old 06-04-11, 04:28 PM
UG7890

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How'd your Cape ride do? Did you find more hills than you expected?
Guys, went up to the cape yesterday. It was absolutely amazing. Went all the way up to Orleans where my gf and I rented some sweet bikes for what I thought was very cheap ($18 for road bikes and $14 for everything else). I gave my Shogun to the bike shop to be tuned and fixed up a bit, and rented a Fuji Roubaix 3.0 (LOVED this bike). We biked on the bike trail all the way through Eastham until the Welsfleet town line, then turned back (about 18 miles round trip) then biked to the beach. Was a bit windy and cold at times, but perfect with no wind and in the sun.

I know a 20ish mile bike is probably just a stroll for most of you guys, but for my 2nd day on a bike I think it's good progress. It's funny I almost have to re-teach myself how to ride a bike correctly (use proper gears for hills, etc.) and I found out I can't ride with no hands anymore (lol)

To my surprise there weren't many hills, just minor ups and downs that are stretched so much that you barely feel them. I loved the trip. Def want to do it again, just wish it wasn't so far.
Old 06-04-11, 05:59 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Damn the abrasion, full speed ahead.
... I intend to shop for some regular goggles to go over my eyeglasses, and I'll also have to buy a helmet mounted mirror rather than the eyeglass-mounted mirror I use now since I don't think it will fit with the goggles. I am now very aware of eye protection for cycling.
Glad to hear you got out and are recovering. Nice commentary on the roads. I've been to Hingham, played music there many times. They have some serious hills. Your note makes me want to go bike there.

Re glasses, I ride with aviator-style sunglasses for their large lenses and extended side coverage. And all my glasses have anti-UV coating, highly recommended by eye doctors. And I've ridden without a mirror probably once in the past 30 years. Helmet-mounted is good.

Guys, went up to the cape yesterday...
Waytago! That sounds like a nice trip. Many years ago I biked from Wellfleet to P-town and back with some friends. They have hills there too, just not as long as in some parts of the world. It's good riding. Haven't biked on the Cape for some years though. Haft'a get back.

You got pics of the Shogun?
Old 06-05-11, 01:02 PM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
drove (not rode, resting after the 5k milestone) through Sherborn, Millis, and Medfield today. those roads have nothing on Dover!
Old 06-05-11, 01:57 PM
godshammgod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did the aforementioned Tour de Shuls today. Ended up with 78 miles riding around to local temples from Lexington, Needham, Holliston, Framingham and Wayland.

A lot of rest stops and a lot of food. It was also a pretty casual and relaxed ride. Tried to take some longer/harder pulls at the front to get a better workout in.

That ride, plus a hard 55 miler yesterday means I'm tired.
Old 06-05-11, 06:03 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Didn't ride today. Took my sweetie out for 6 hard hours up then down the Ipsiwch River through the Wenham Swamp. Did however stop briefly at the North Bridge Historical Park in Concord. Lots of bikes out, and a sign for "Rest Stop" or something similar at the Monument Rd. parking lot. Was there a ride in progress through there today?
Old 06-07-11, 07:34 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

We have heard from neither sherbornpeddler nor bikinggrrrl (how many r's?) for a few weeks. You okay?
Old 06-07-11, 07:55 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4223 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Didn't ride today. Took my sweetie out for 6 hard hours up then down the Ipsiwch River through the Wenham Swamp. Did however stop briefly at the North Bridge Historical Park in Concord. Lots of bikes out, and a sign for "Rest Stop" or something similar at the Monument Rd. parking lot. Was there a ride in progress through there today?
I think it may have been the team in training cancer run groups. I rode past a couple of refreshment stands for them.

Some idiot decided they needed to turn my bars while my front wheel was firmly u-locked to a post. Luckily they didn't bend the wheel, but the stem got loose. Opened my saddle bag to get my multitool to tighten it back down to find the screw holding all the attachments on had worked its way loose and all the attachments were loose in the bag. Couldn't get enough leverage to get the stem supertight so I did the best I could running the screwdriver attachment through the loop at the end of the allen. Made it home and tighted it up really good with some real allen wrenches, but it was a bit scarier of a ride than I'd have liked.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.