Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

What Utility Rides/Trips/hauls/errands did you do today???

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

What Utility Rides/Trips/hauls/errands did you do today???

Old 03-25-12, 09:21 PM
Youaintgotjack

Bikes: Yuba Mundo (sold), Yuba Boda Boda (sold), now I ride a batavus Personal Delivery Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went on a family ride on the nicest day of the year so far.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sunday bike ride 043.jpg (102.7 KB, 63 views)
Old 03-27-12, 06:38 AM
NormDeplume

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On Sunday we loaded up the kid trailer (that my kids are too big for), and we took our cardboard and plastic to the recycling center. We've done it many times, but I always still get a little self-righteous thrill when there are people there unloading their car trunks and we have a family of bikes pull up to do our recycling. And then I feel guilty for feeling holier-than-thou. It's a vicious cycle...
Old 03-28-12, 11:02 AM
dygituljunky

Bikes: Giant Sedona (Mid 90's), Giant Seek 2, Greenspeed Anura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NormDeplume
...but I always still get a little self-righteous thrill when there are people there unloading their car trunks and we have a family of bikes pull up to do our recycling. And then I feel guilty for feeling holier-than-thou...
You shouldn't feel guilty for that part. They're either thinking, "Wow, it can be done," or "pffft, show-offs." Keep proving that cars aren't as necessary as folks believe and you might actually inspire others to join you.
Old 03-28-12, 11:14 AM
NormDeplume

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dygituljunky
You shouldn't feel guilty for that part. They're either thinking, "Wow, it can be done," or "pffft, show-offs." Keep proving that cars aren't as necessary as folks believe and you might actually inspire others to join you.
It's probably the latter they're thinking around here. People in this town only walk or ride recreationally. There are only a handful of people I've ever seen do any errands on bike or on foot. My husband has stopped by the liquor store on the bike before, and sometimes we wonder how many people assume that any dude carrying a 6-pack by bike is doing so because of a DUI.

ETA: it's a very small town, only about 3-4 miles in diameter. There really isn't any reason that most people could get most places here without a car. But my neighbor's 17-yo son drove every day to work when he was in high school-- at the Pizza Hut 2 blocks away. I know people who drive 1 block to church. People who walk for fun every day. It's like the Twilight Zone.

Last edited by NormDeplume; 03-28-12 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-30-12, 02:15 PM
efk22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm taking my two daughters to a daughter/daddy dance tonight. I rode three miles to the flower shop to pick-up their corsages. Then took a seven mile detour home.

Running errands and exercising at the same time. Wonderful!
Old 03-30-12, 06:28 PM
Underground
Ride On.

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.5, 2010 Specialized Langster, 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er, 2011 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ETA: it's a very small town, only about 3-4 miles in diameter. There really isn't any reason that most people could get most places here without a car. But my neighbor's 17-yo son drove every day to work when he was in high school-- at the Pizza Hut 2 blocks away. I know people who drive 1 block to church. People who walk for fun every day. It's like the Twilight Zone.
Hopefully when I have a kid, he or she will have grown up riding a bicycle, so maybe they won't even think about a car. I can only hope...
Old 03-30-12, 09:07 PM
Fasteryoufool

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion Sport DLX, Trek 420, Schwinn Sierra, Schwinn Hurricane

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On Sunday we loaded up the kid trailer (that my kids are too big for), and we took our cardboard and plastic to the recycling center. We've done it many times, but I always still get a little self-righteous thrill when there are people there unloading their car trunks and we have a family of bikes pull up to do our recycling. And then I feel guilty for feeling holier-than-thou. It's a vicious cycle...
It irritates the crap out of me that I can't use the bike/trailer to go to the recycling center here. Bikes aren't allowed in due to "safety reasons"... which probably translates as "insurance reasons", so we HAVE to take the car.
Old 03-30-12, 10:38 PM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Fasteryoufool
It irritates the crap out of me that I can't use the bike/trailer to go to the recycling center here. Bikes aren't allowed in due to "safety reasons"... which probably translates as "insurance reasons", so we HAVE to take the car.
In WA the recycle centers (at least in my area) are generally open and unmonitored. I pay for curbside pick-up of a large recycle bin in which I can put some plastics, cardboard, mixed paper, and cans (both tin and aluminum). Even if I don't use the service, I am required by City Ordinance to pay for it.

I have a similar issue as you're having with the soil/bark/landscape rock businesses and the local dump. At each, one has to pay a minimum per load, making it impractical to do it by bike trailer. The dump charges a 400 pound/$16 minimum and the soil place charges $20 minimum per load, regardless of how much is actually purchased. Sand there, for example is $8/ton or $20/load, whichever costs more.
Old 04-01-12, 10:54 AM
student of life

Bikes: surly LHT, Redline Monocog(winter), Thinking about a Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pre work trip.

60 quarts of potting soil and a garden hose. Plus a backpack with work clothes knives and lock. 8 miles home. feels good!!

Attached Images
loaded surly.jpg (98.3 KB, 62 views)
Old 04-01-12, 05:31 PM
pick

Bikes: ABT1X (retired), KHS TR 101, '84 motocruiser frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by student of life
60 quarts of potting soil and a garden hose. Plus a backpack with work clothes knives and lock. 8 miles home. feels good!!

Sweet!! More impressive is the fact you posted a picture on your first post...LOL!! Seriously, nice load on the LHT!! Look forward to your future fun postings w/the LHT as utility beast!!!
Old 04-02-12, 04:26 PM
Brockster

Bikes: 1992 Gary Fisher Montare, red. 24" Murray mtb now mini-tall bike. 26" Trek 3700.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Cub Foods & Aldi Run

Rode the $10 Huffy White River 26 MTB to Cub Foods for chocolate-flavored Ensure for my elder daughter and Aldi for stuffed tortellini, mushroom-flavored (fungus-flavored?) spaghetti sauce and a couple cans of chicken.

I rode it instead of the comfy Schwinn, because I wanted to see if the random rear shifting issues would clear up with some more miles added.

Not yet!

Last edited by Brockster; 04-02-12 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-03-12, 04:48 PM
pick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brockster
Rode the $10 Huffy White River 26 MTB to Cub Foods for chocolate-flavored Ensure for my elder daughter and Aldi for stuffed tortellini, mushroom-flavored (fungus-flavored?) spaghetti sauce and a couple cans of chicken.

I rode it instead of the comfy Schwinn, because I wanted to see if the random rear shifting issues would clear up with some more miles added.

Not yet!
Nice!! Can you link to the pics of the bikes?? Like to see how you have them set-up!!
Old 04-04-12, 12:26 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 64 Posts
took my beater to work to leave there for lunch time runs

Old 04-04-12, 06:44 PM
Brockster

Bikes: 1992 Gary Fisher Montare, red. 24" Murray mtb now mini-tall bike. 26" Trek 3700.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Here is the Huffy.

Hey pick!

Photo taken today. Here is the $10 Huffy from Craigslist that I had to put a $7 front tube in, and just lube the rest of the bike up. I swapped used for used pedals to get rid of a creaking sound while pedaling. Some light rust on the rims and a little on the frame. No real complaints except for having to hold the rear shifter in gear with my right hand so it doesn't change on it's own.

I need to put some Loctite on the front brake acorn nut. When it gets loose, the caliper arms shimmy (shimmer?) badly and the brake makes more noise than usual. I took it out for about six miles tonight of dumpster diving and looking for bikes on a neighboring communities trash night.

It becomes a utility bike when I throw on one of my Timbuk2 bags on me.

I'm still really happy with it.

Happy Riding, y'all!
Attached Images
$10-Huffy-White-River-rs.jpg (46.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-04-12, 06:52 PM
pick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brockster
Hey pick!

Photo taken today. Here is the $10 Huffy from Craigslist that I had to put a $7 front tube in, and just lube the rest of the bike up. I swapped used for used pedals to get rid of a creaking sound while pedaling. Some light rust on the rims and a little on the frame. No real complaints except for having to hold the rear shifter in gear with my right hand so it doesn't change on it's own.

I need to put some Loctite on the front brake acorn nut. When it gets loose, the caliper arms shimmy (shimmer?) badly and the brake makes more noise than usual. I took it out for about six miles tonight of dumpster diving and looking for bikes on a neighboring communities trash night.

It becomes a utility bike when I throw on one of my Timbuk2 bags on me.

I'm still really happy with it.

Happy Riding, y'all!
Nice!! love the old school hardtail frames - you can do so much with them. Many years of utility/cargo riding on that frame still ahead, right on!!
Old 04-07-12, 06:30 AM
owenfinn

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er, Yuba Mundo, Dahon Boardwalk D7

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Two folding bikes. Beautiful scenery everywhere you looked in Yokohama today!

Old 04-10-12, 01:17 PM
Underground
Ride On.

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.5, 2010 Specialized Langster, 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er, 2011 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took my roadie to the LBS today. I don't have a stand to true the wheels, so I decided to pay $30 to get that done, the brakes cleaned, lubing the cables, and the drivetrain clean and adjusted.

It is the only way to take a bike to the LBS!

Old 04-12-12, 08:53 AM
Youaintgotjack

Bikes: Yuba Mundo (sold), Yuba Boda Boda (sold), now I ride a batavus Personal Delivery Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My son and I have been taking part in the 30 days of biking- its really helped me personally to get out more. We've been going all over the place and really having some amazing weather to boot. I love this, I love the family time, watching him learn and grow- such a privilege!

I've been taking tons of pictures- check them on my blog- I know the slide pic isn't of a bike, ut our bike took us there lol

Attached Images
jack on slide.jpg (55.7 KB, 29 views)
April 9th 008.jpg (97.8 KB, 33 views)
April 10th 030.jpg (93.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-12-12, 09:24 PM
Brockster

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Heavy CPU

A co-worker recently gave me some old PC and monitors.

When I fired up the PC that she gave me, it worked perfectly - but loaded with Windows 95!

Loaded up the XL Timbuk2 bag with the CPU and had to close it with a ratchet strap, since the strap buckles couldn't reach with the PC inside.

So off to the Goodwill trailer at Kroger.

That thing was old-timey PC heavy. I could feel a difference in the Schwinn's steering, the tires, and especially on my back. Fortunately, it was not a real long trip.
Attached Images
Heavy-CPU-640.jpg (76.0 KB, 32 views)
Heavy-CPU-end-640.jpg (67.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-13-12, 01:26 AM
dygituljunky

Bikes: Giant Sedona (Mid 90's), Giant Seek 2, Greenspeed Anura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Youaintgotjack
My son and I have been taking part in the 30 days of biking- its really helped me personally to get out more. We've been going all over the place and really having some amazing weather to boot. I love this, I love the family time, watching him learn and grow- such a privilege!

I've been taking tons of pictures- check them on my blog- I know the slide pic isn't of a bike, ut our bike took us there lol

I've been following you since I saw you on the facebook group. You're doing great and you're doing a great thing.

-Bill
Old 04-14-12, 12:10 PM
Youaintgotjack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dygituljunky
I've been following you since I saw you on the facebook group. You're doing great and you're doing a great thing.

-Bill

Thanks Bill! Its a lovely day today, waiting for breakfast to settle and then we're going for a family ride.Cheers!
Old 04-14-12, 04:58 PM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Scored at the garage sale with a gasoline edger for only $25.00.

Then, I went to Lowe's for some tree stakes.

Last edited by bugly64; 04-14-12 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-14-12, 09:47 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Delivered some frozen breast milk to Grandma who was watching my kids yesterday riding the mtb. Took my kid to the church on my 'utility' mtb today. Much more useful than a car... and I get to have fun at the same time.
Old 04-14-12, 11:47 PM
sjt78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went food shopping via bike for the first time today. I've had the xtracycle built up for a few weeks now but just got the chance to really try out the 'cargo' aspect of my cargo bike with over 80lbs of groceries and other things on the back. I had to do it as my wife started mocking me today over the fact that one of the major reasons I wanted to build up the xtracycle was to use it to go food shopping and hadn't until this evening. I have a couple of pictures of the bike that I need to post in an introduction thread.
Old 04-15-12, 12:18 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Love the extrabikes... took mine down to the c0-op today and it was 8 miles into the wind, rain, and sleet and 8 miles back into the wind, rain, and sleet which has now turned to snow.

Was only carrying a boxed bike frame that I spent a little time working on and went down primarily to tune up the shop's custom built tandem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.