Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.2

Old 04-06-23, 11:48 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8083 Post(s)
Liked 8,703 Times in 4,326 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Yep ... the 401 in winter (especially) can be pretty hairy! The thing is sooooo busy, year round. I guess it would be; if you include Quebec Autoroute 20 from the ON/QUE border to Quebec City, you have (over, I think) half the population of Canada living in proximity to a single route: Quebec City to Windsor ON.
I had no idea there could be traffic that bad anywhere in Canada until I watched some of those shows. I was really surprised. I was also surprised at how many trucks seem to crash, but that could just be the show making it look that way.
Old 04-06-23, 11:58 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 559 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22422 Post(s)
Liked 8,730 Times in 4,066 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
She and I both use SAD phototherapy lights in the Fall and Winter. SAD!
Do you think this helps above/beyond placebo effect??
Old 04-06-23, 12:07 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 575 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I had no idea there could be traffic that bad anywhere in Canada until I watched some of those shows. I was really surprised. I was also surprised at how many trucks seem to crash, but that could just be the show making it look that way.
I think to some extent it is the show, of course, because it really consists of those kinds of incidents. That said, they are common -- especially but not only in winter. Flash freezes, and sudden, complete 'white-outs' are very frequent along the route. Also, I believe -- subject to correction, but I'm pretty sure this is right -- that the route from Montréal to Windsor/Detroit, Quebec A20 + Ontario 401, is the single busiest stretch of highway for heavy truck traffic in North America, in terms both of numbers and tonnage. When they clump up they really do look like 'trains.' In the rural parts of the route, where it sometimes drops to two lanes each way, accidents can cause back-ups that can last for hours.

The driving, in a passenger vehicle, can be pretty hairy, although we are pretty used to it and kind of know our way around. Speeds do get pretty high, though. The trucks are limited, but as one approaches Toronto the car/suv speeds rise dramatically above the posted 100kmh limit. Typically, one has to do about 130+kmh just to stay in the flow of traffic. Once into Mississauga (a city, but just the western part of Toronto, really), one is on nine through lanes of traffic (each way) + merging collector lanes, packed, moving at those speeds.
Likes For badger1:
Old 04-06-23, 12:26 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 1,103 Posts
My average speed had actually increased since I began wearing Da Brim. Must be because I'm so much more comfortable.
I passed a road cyclist today at an intersection. He was wearing a full face shield. Not like a COVID shield but hard plastic, and rounded to shed air. Anybody know of such a thing?
Old 04-06-23, 12:30 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2989 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
I think to some extent it is the show, of course, because it really consists of those kinds of incidents. That said, they are common -- especially but not only in winter. Flash freezes, and sudden, complete 'white-outs' are very frequent along the route. Also, I believe -- subject to correction, but I'm pretty sure this is right -- that the route from Montréal to Windsor/Detroit, Quebec A20 + Ontario 401, is the single busiest stretch of highway for heavy truck traffic in North America, in terms both of numbers and tonnage. When they clump up they really do look like 'trains.' In the rural parts of the route, where it sometimes drops to two lanes each way, accidents can cause back-ups that can last for hours.

The driving, in a passenger vehicle, can be pretty hairy, although we are pretty used to it and kind of know our way around. Speeds do get pretty high, though. The trucks are limited, but as one approaches Toronto the car/suv speeds rise dramatically above the posted 100kmh limit. Typically, one has to do about 130+kmh just to stay in the flow of traffic. Once into Mississauga (a city, but just the western part of Toronto, really), one is on nine through lanes of traffic (each way) + merging collector lanes, packed, moving at those speeds.
I'll pass, thank you
Old 04-06-23, 12:34 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1287 Post(s)
Liked 1,709 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
My average speed had actually increased since I began wearing Da Brim. Must be because I'm so much more comfortable.
I passed a road cyclist today at an intersection. He was wearing a full face shield. Not like a COVID shield but hard plastic, and rounded to shed air. Anybody know of such a thing?
where is the closest wind tunnel ?

operator comfort / efficiency > aerodynamic efficiency ?

grin
Old 04-06-23, 12:39 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Yes indeed. Giving her the ol' gravel on 23s test.

lookin good

but 23’s in that stuff - cringe

how big can you go ... 28’s ? ... more ?
Old 04-06-23, 12:40 PM
t2p

Originally Posted by thin_concrete
Have you seen the newer beaver toothed BMWs? I’ve had several Bimmers over the years, but I may have to become an Audi guy (again).
reminds me of the Subes for a short period ... and of course the ill-fated Edsel
Likes For t2p:
Old 04-06-23, 12:45 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 575 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
I'll pass, thank you
Don't blame you! We have no real choice but to put up with it twice/year.
Old 04-06-23, 12:59 PM
t2p

Originally Posted by phrantic09
there were some Pirates players in the lobby of the US Steel building trying to get people to go to games the other day. I ran by PNC Park while I was there, nice place.
we ran some neat loops when I worked in the city

one loop to Heinz Field and back - started at (under) the mon wharf parking area (down on walkway next to the river) - continued to the tip of point state park (fountain) - toward 6th Street / Clemente bridge - up steps and on to bridge toward PNC Park then toward or around Heinz Field and then loop back to finish

another loop went to the South Side (an nat lol) and back - started near / across from mon wharf parking area - toward and across Smithfield bridge - left toward the South Side ... then left across bridge (can’t recall which one lol - Birmingham something or 62nd Street bridge ... ?) - left toward and past the jail - continue toward mon wharf to finish

both loops were around 5 miles (each)

Last edited by t2p; 04-06-23 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-06-23, 01:07 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 1,381 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I've always enjoyed that SoCal language quirk. Freeways are so central to SoCal culture that you precede their names with "the".

It's like an honorary title: "You will address me as the 405."
its such an interesting grammatical error, made more common than not by sheer size of population.

the number of a freeway is a proper name; “the” is akin to saying “turn left on the washington street” or “turn left on the washington,” both of which are clearly wrong. “turn left on the street” or “turn left to get to the freeway” are of course correct.

also it’s just a lot of extra words.

my brother will say “take the 10 to the 405 to the 101” when just “take 10 to 405 to 101” would clearly suffice to describe the next two hours of hell.
Old 04-06-23, 01:08 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9309 Post(s)
Liked 6,166 Times in 3,384 Posts
Saw some serious cyclists going up some big hills today.

But, the coolest thing was the subcoming into port.

Likes For Mojo31:
Old 04-06-23, 01:11 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 953 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

one loop to Heinz Field and back - started at (under) the mon wharf parking area (down on walkway next to the river) - continued to the tip of point state park (fountain) - toward 6th Street / Clemente bridge - up steps and on to bridge toward PNC Park then toward or around Heinz Field and then loop back to finish

another loop went to the South Side (an nat lol) and back - started near / across from mon wharf parking area - toward and across Smithfield bridge - left toward the South Side ... then left across bridge (can’t recall which one lol - Birmingham something or 62nd Street bridge ... ?) - left toward and past the jail - continue toward mon wharf to finish

I started on Penn Ave, down and around the point, up the trail on the south side of the Allegheny, across the 9th street bridge, down the other side and back across the Fort Duquesne bridge. It was only 4, but I did 3 in the mornings too. The trail on the north side of the Mon was closed or I’d have checked that as well
Old 04-06-23, 01:17 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by thin_concrete
And to YouTube and MLB for not getting a deal done. I might be searching for a new cable provider…
They must have spent all their money on NFL Sunday Ticket, to my annoyance. I was hoping Apple would get it.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 04-06-23, 01:21 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by terrymorse
I've always enjoyed that SoCal language quirk. Freeways are so central to SoCal culture that you precede their names with "the".

It's like an honorary title: "You will address me as the 405."
Alternately, CA objectifies them as an object while the rest of the country personifies them with names ("MoPac", "CapTex", "Northway").
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 04-06-23, 01:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18228 Post(s)
Liked 15,033 Times in 7,113 Posts
My ex hooked me up with a terrific aide. When she’s done with one chore she’ll find another if you don’t give her one.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-06-23, 02:36 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

So the Phillies are of to a sucky start, and to make matters worse the home opener was supposed to be today, but they canceled it YESTERDAY due to predicted storms. Daughter #1 has tix and was not happy to hear this as it messed up her plans.

Now it's today and of course the predicted storms are nowhere to be found.

It's going to be a L-O-N-G season.
Old 04-06-23, 02:36 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by indyfabz
My ex hooked me up with a terrific aide. When she’s done with one chore she’ll find another if you don’t give her one.
Can she tune up your bike? Maybe clean the drivetrain??

I hope you are able to ride it again soon.
Old 04-06-23, 03:06 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10030 Post(s)
Liked 5,719 Times in 3,075 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Do you think this helps above/beyond placebo effect??
No way of knowing, and I only have a rather general feeling that it helps. Perhaps the most objective evidence that it's doing something is that I tend not to need to use an alarm to wake up in the morning when I'm using it. I turn it on with my first cup of coffee. I'll settle for placebo.
Old 04-06-23, 03:19 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12488 Post(s)
Liked 7,374 Times in 3,897 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Did it pass??
Solid as a rock! I even put my U-lock and tools in the decaleur to make sure it was worst case scenario.
Originally Posted by t2p
lookin good

but 23’s in that stuff - cringe

how big can you go ... 28’s ? ... more ?
Riding gravel on 23s is the only time I feel alive

33mm should be no problemo.

I farted around too much today
Big break for first lunch, then I saw a Pho place so I'm just finishing second lunch. Gonna have to haul ass to be able catch the National Anthem at the ballpark
Old 04-06-23, 03:34 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8611 Post(s)
Liked 2,772 Times in 1,637 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

maybe it was the 59th street Bridge. It's groovy.

Last edited by BillyD; 04-07-23 at 06:23 AM.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 04-06-23, 03:45 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
No way of knowing, and I only have a rather general feeling that it helps. Perhaps the most objective evidence that it's doing something is that I tend not to need to use an alarm to wake up in the morning when I'm using it. I turn it on with my first cup of coffee. I'll settle for placebo.
Sounds similar to "I have more good nights of sleep with my blue blockers, but nothing like 100%". The kind of thing that's frustrating to suss out.
Old 04-06-23, 03:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 9974 Post(s)
Liked 11,283 Times in 5,774 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Is it unique to So Cal? I was under the impression that Nor Cal folks do that, too.
Nope. We just call 'em by the numbers - e.g. I take 92 West to 280, go North to 380 and take that over to 101. Some might be preceded sometimes by "Route", like "Route 1", which I believe y'all SoCal dwellers call "the PCH".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-06-23, 03:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 9974 Post(s)
Liked 11,283 Times in 5,774 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Alternately, CA objectifies them as an object while the rest of the country personifies them with names ("MoPac", "CapTex", "Northway").
I've never heard anyone anywhere refer to I-80 as anything but "I-80" or "80".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-06-23, 03:54 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4699 Post(s)
Liked 7,594 Times in 3,592 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Nope. We just call 'em by the numbers - e.g. I take 92 West to 280, go North to 380 and take that over to 101. Some might be preceded sometimes by "Route", like "Route 1", which I believe y'all SoCal dwellers call "the PCH".
Just "PCH". No "the"...and never "the 1".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.