Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How to lose weight. Any advice?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

How to lose weight. Any advice?

Old 10-29-22, 01:57 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by hcova
Hi there.
It seems that we need to teach to our body to increase the fat oxidation.
I found this article.
alancouzens.com/blog/improving_fat_burning2.html
Couzens’ big thing is aerobic training. That increases fat oxidation as a proportion of energy expenditure, but doesn’t really have much to do with weight loss per se. I would encourage anyone to follow his training advice, which is top notch, but for weight loss it’s just under-fuel and over-burn.

https://twitter.com/alan_couzens/sta...bEQvYr87Xh9_Uw
Old 10-29-22, 03:22 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You aren't going to teach a 60y.o. body much, if anything new. I weighed 203 (but liked it) several years ago. Then I got the Flu (no Covid then) and wound up 185(!) after it was all over. Worked back up to 195, which is kind of where I like to be. Just got sick again, and I can tell I've lost significant weight but don't have a scale at home and haven't been back to the gym yet. For anyone with weight to lose I can recommend The Flu™ as a sure fire way to drop significant weight for as long as your fever runs. Keeping it off means some denial in your future. Sweet things are out: cakes, cookies, pies ... dead to you. Don't kill yourself though. Cheat once a month or so or you will FAIL. A gym membership is just about mandatory since it isn't always possible to bike. Me and mine are pretty good about riding in rain and the dark and extreme cold but even we have to draw the line at glare ice on the road! So access to cardio equipment and, yes, weights, is necessary to maintain a neutral calorie situation over the longer term.
We quit almost all rain riding at about 70. Enough already.
Old 10-30-22, 11:25 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,709 Times in 2,909 Posts
Thanks a lot for your reply.
My problem is the anxiety I feel. So I eat anything, specially at night after my training workouts.
I weight 207 lbs .
My target weight should be 187 lbs.
Warm regards
20 lbs should be easy enough with a bit of simple calorie counting. An App such as MyFitnessPal would probably work. Just put in your details, target weight loss and it will provide you with the appropriate calorie deficit to get there and an easy way to log your intake. The simple fact that you currently eat "anything" implies that you could easily cut out a few calories. I've successfully lost 20 lbs in this way over several months. You don't even need to count calories after the first few weeks once you establish a baseline.

I doubt you would need to totally change your diet just to lose 20 lbs. Working on the route cause of your anxiety would probably have the biggest effect.
Old 10-31-22, 01:25 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Thanks a lot for your reply.
My problem is the anxiety I feel. So I eat anything, specially at night after my training workouts.
I weight 207 lbs .
My target weight should be 187 lbs.
Warm regards
According to research, anxiety tends to elevate cortisol, which in turn tells the body to store fat. Especially around the middle. So we get skinny-fat -- lean, or healthy weight on most of the body, with potbellies.

If that's a factor, methods to reduce anxiety may help with weight loss. There are a zillion recommendations for dealing with anxiety. What works for some won't work for others. I don't "meditate" unless that means napping.

After hitting 60 I found it most difficult to get rid of belly fat. But I contribute to that by eating more junk carbs than I need. I want 'em. I enjoy 'em. I just don't need 'em, or use them as fuel because too often I eat junk carbs before bed, rather than just before a bike ride, run or workout.

But I'm still doing okay. After serious injuries from a car wreck in 2001 my weight ballooned to 205. My optimal weight in my 20s as an amateur boxer was 145, welterweight. After resuming cycling in 2015 I got down to 145 again... for awhile. But after I turned 60, developed thyroid cancer and metabolic problems, my weight usually fluctuates between 150-160. Good enough, I'm not gonna stress over being a few pounds heavier. If I get above 160, I start eating more carefully, skipping the junk carbs and beer.

I eat more meat now, mostly because it suits my digestion better. I can't digest legumes, even with digestive enzyme supplements. I like fresh veggies and fruits, but don't digest them well. So vegan diets are out. And meat satiates my hunger longer. Often I'll eat only one full meal a day. My late morning meal usually combines breakfast and lunch, something like an omelet or oatmeal with an egg stirred in. That's about all.

It's not unusual for me to go without eating 12 hours or so many days of the week. I don't set out to do "intermittent fasting." I just eat when I'm hungry.

Occasionally I'll do a moderate workout without having eaten recently. But moderate or easy is the key. If I turn it into a hard workout I'll deplete glycogen and bonk, then crave sugar and junk when I get home. So the trick is to keep the exercise moderate or easy, for an hour or so. I usually prefer a walking or easy jogging pace for that kind of exercise. My area is very hilly and there are no easy cycling routes nearby.
Likes For canklecat: