Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Vegan double toe straps?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Vegan double toe straps?

Old 08-10-09, 04:15 PM
Retem
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
home made doublers and vinyl coated poly straps are the best deal get some old cateye or mt cristophe they tend to be more durable even if they are only available in day glo colors
Old 08-10-09, 04:42 PM
das_pyrate

Bikes: EAI Bareknuckle, 1981 Gios Aerodynamic, Giant Boulder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
most double straps are leather, which comes from cows.

/thread
Old 08-10-09, 09:46 PM
jakerock
helmet brake

Bikes: Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"/thread" =
Old 08-10-09, 09:48 PM
solbrothers
Banned.

Bikes: Cinelli Mash

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
lmfao @ vegan
Old 08-10-09, 10:06 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboIsGod
Getting a pair of all city double toe clips and am looking for double toe straps that are not made of leather. Suggestions?

Also, would it be possible to just use a single strap with double toe clips?

Thanks!
Buying leather or nylon doesn't matter, cows are going to die.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 08-10-09, 10:08 PM
Skones MickLoud
This steel horse I ride

Bikes: 1980something Schwinn Tempo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ilikebikes
Buying leather or nylon doesn't matter, cows are going to die.
mmmmm steak
Old 08-11-09, 11:27 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bratton
ladies, you're all re tar ded. f*** america!
but you live in Ridley, Pa?
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 08-11-09, 11:30 AM
jakerock
helmet brake

Bikes: Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://hubpages.com/hub/Chinese-Man-Eating-Live-Frogs
Old 11-05-22, 11:26 PM
josh672@l
Aluminum Ally

Bikes: 6ku urban track, fixed gear, wabi sub-15's

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh my freaking god

Just looking for some good double straps manufactured without having to kill a giant mammal. I mean, with scientific progress in the modern age it seems feasible. Someone said wellgo synthetic leather straps.. Okay, perfect. Then some troll had to call vegans silly, and this while thread turned into 6 pages of Hatfields vs McCoys. Jesus flipping christ. This is a bike forum not a moral philosophical political dietary whatever the hell everyone is on about forum.

Y'all need to chill the frick out. In the immortal words of Bart Simpson, "Don't have a cow man."

Last edited by josh672@l; 11-06-22 at 02:25 AM.
Old 11-06-22, 12:23 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificaslim
Just remember that one of the reasons people die of diseases like cancer these days is that they now live long enough to die from such diseases! Back when we lived more simply, people died at much younger ages and so we never had saw these diseases that kill people in their 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and beyond. Now we've managed to develop our societies in ways that have added decades to our life expectancy. We may have had those diseases all along, or we may 'create' them through the industrialization of society, but overall, we're still coming out with much longer lifespans than when we lived the simple life.
The evidence from pre-agriculture suggests people existed in tribes that limited their populations to what their environment could sustain and those that did achieve adulthood often lead long, healthy lives. That all that changed with agriculture, people owning land and needed a growing population to have bodies to farm it. Health and longevity decreased with agriculture. Longevity has come back with medicine but that does not mean we are living better than pre-agriculture humans.

Edit: and to topic - there is no reason you have to have double toestraps to have two toestraps on a pedal. I raced Smugglers Notch BITD with two pairs of Bindas. I cannot recall how i ran the torward strap but it was whatever we all did that ran double. (Might be able to find photos of track riders running them.)

And second edit: I plead guilty to answering and ancient post.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 11-06-22 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-06-22, 01:58 AM
josh672@l
Aluminum Ally

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Stop stop stop ✋️ 🛑 ✋️

THE THREAD IS ABOUT TRYING TO FIND QUALITY NON-LEATHER TOE CLIP DOUBLE STRAPS. PLEASE KINDLY SHUT THE HELL UP ABOUT ALL THIS OTHER NONSENSE. I'M SURE THERE IS A REDDlT FORUM AVAILABLE FOR WHATEVER NONSENSE YOU WEIRDOS DESIRE TO QUIBBLE BACK AND FORTH ABOUT.

Anyhow, there is a website called the Brooklyn Bike Doctor where they are selling Cinelli Duo Straps and they claim they are made with synthetic leather lined with nylon. Sorry can't post a link because this forum says I can't. Just Google "cinelli synthetic leather double straps" and look for the Brooklyn Bike Doctor site if you are interested.

Every other marketplace on the internet says that the Cinelli duo straps are genuine leather.

So either this Brooklyn Bike Doctor is lying to sell leather straps to New York hipsters (which is likely because this "Doctor" can't even spell the word "white" correctly on his website), or every other marketplace is calling them guinuine leather because they think that's what people want or are just propagating misinformation from all the other sites.

I couldn't find the straps on Cinelli's website, maybe because there are so many bike accessory products and no search function, or maybe they dont make them anymore, or maybe they just dont post them there which is weird because the kink pedal straps are listed there.

Anyhow I can't find the Wellgo synthetic leather double straps, just their leather double straps, and their pedal straps, which are obviously something different.

Anyhow I'm sick of looking, and I'm sick of all the other malarkey in this thread. The cinelli duo straps are exceptional because they have leather/synthetic-leather and a layer of vinyl to prevent stretching, and then another layer of whatever leather again, and their buckle system is said to be the best in the business.

I'm sorry cows, i'm sorry millitant vegans, and im sorry all you people with your brain so clogged with beef fat that you can't help but react like a bunch of psychopathic Karens every time someone mentions the word vegan.

I'm getting the cinelli duo straps, or im just going to get two vp synthetic leather straps on each pedal/clips, or maybe I will just go single because they're easier to adjust and i ride fixed with brake anyways (I aint gonna ruin my gatorskins just to do cool tricks). 😤 💪👌

I also plead guilty to answering an ancient post, and thank the previous poster for the recommending the use of two pairs of single straps in place of the double straps.

Last edited by josh672@l; 11-06-22 at 02:27 AM.
Likes For josh672@l:
Old 11-06-22, 10:43 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by josh672@l
Just looking for some good double straps manufactured without having to kill a giant mammal. I mean, with scientific progress in the modern age it seems feasible. Someone said wellgo synthetic leather straps.. Okay, perfect. Then some troll had to call vegans silly, and this while thread turned into 6 pages of Hatfields vs McCoys. Jesus flipping christ. This is a bike forum not a moral philosophical political dietary whatever the hell everyone is on about forum.

Y'all need to chill the frick out. In the immortal words of Bart Simpson, "Don't have a cow man."
Yo, the thread is from 2009 the last post before you got involved was from 2009 it is now 2022. The thread was over in 2009 it didn't go on after that, why go rehashing the arguments or just stirring the pot again? I doubt most of these folks are even on the forums anymore.

If you are interested in vegan/animal free toe straps, awesome start a new thread on it, this one had its heyday back in 2009 if not just let it go dude. This is the internet people say dumb stuff all the time and especially when talking about not intentionally harming animals, people go crazy when it comes to that. A lot of times it is people knowing they have done wrong but they don't want to admit fault in their own personal actions so they deflect, it is old news but it is something we probably all did at some point. I know I did for years until I couldn't anymore and eventually got on the path of veganism (a year before this thread started) There are more current and active threads to be involved in or if you had questions again start a new thread.

No need for zombies, even if they want graaaaaains...LOL
Old 11-06-22, 11:34 AM
josh672@l
Aluminum Ally

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yo, the thread is from 2009 the last post before you got involved was from 2009 it is now 2022. The thread was over in 2009 it didn't go on after that, why go rehashing the arguments or just stirring the pot again? I doubt most of these folks are even on the forums anymore.

If you are interested in vegan/animal free toe straps, awesome start a new thread on it, this one had its heyday back in 2009 if not just let it go dude. This is the internet people say dumb stuff all the time and especially when talking about not intentionally harming animals, people go crazy when it comes to that. A lot of times it is people knowing they have done wrong but they don't want to admit fault in their own personal actions so they deflect, it is old news but it is something we probably all did at some point. I know I did for years until I couldn't anymore and eventually got on the path of veganism (a year before this thread started) There are more current and active threads to be involved in or if you had questions again start a new thread.

No need for zombies, even if they want graaaaaains...LOL
This thread is not dead, you responding to my post is proof of that. If someone googles the subject, this is one of the first things to pop up, so it's the perfect place to talk about it. I've been a vegetarian/vegan for over 20 years, but I'm not here to talk about that. I'm just here to find some vegan double straps for the new track bike I'm building, and you never know when more people are going to add to the conversation. Speaking of which, the topic is non-leather double straps, not whether this thread is dead or not. It's obviously not, because anybody can still find this topic and add to it right here, so please stop trying to discourage people from contributing to this thread, Mr. Wallyworld.

And I agree that the reason people get offended by the mention of plant-based diets, is because they start to question their own actions in regard to morality and redirect their own shame back to the person who caused their self-reflection. Then they justify their own reaction by the fact that it's a common response in our current society.

Anyhow, for anyone else who found this prehistoric thread in the modern ages, I'm considering just doubling up on the single vp synthetic leather straps. VP makes excellent sealed bearing pedals, and chances are their straps are of comparable quality. Hope that helps.

Now, off to go eat some graaaaiiiiiins...
Old 11-06-22, 05:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

This thread is not dead, you responding to my post is proof of that. If someone googles the subject, this is one of the first things to pop up, so it's the perfect place to talk about it. I've been a vegetarian/vegan for over 20 years, but I'm not here to talk about that. I'm just here to find some vegan double straps for the new track bike I'm building, and you never know when more people are going to add to the conversation. Speaking of which, the topic is non-leather double straps, not whether this thread is dead or not. It's obviously not, because anybody can still find this topic and add to it right here, so please stop trying to discourage people from contributing to this thread, Mr. Wallyworld.

And I agree that the reason people get offended by the mention of plant-based diets, is because they start to question their own actions in regard to morality and redirect their own shame back to the person who caused their self-reflection. Then they justify their own reaction by the fact that it's a common response in our current society.

Anyhow, for anyone else who found this prehistoric thread in the modern ages, I'm considering just doubling up on the single vp synthetic leather straps. VP makes excellent sealed bearing pedals, and chances are their straps are of comparable quality. Hope that helps.

Now, off to go eat some graaaaiiiiiins...
If it was a great place to talk about it someone would have kept the thread going, it died 13 years ago. A new thread without the previous toxicity would have made sense rather than zombie this old bugger. The posters in it are long gone aside from one who is still an active poster but only made one post in this thread. A new thread always makes sense so if someone does search they find a new thread hopefully sans the ridiculousness of this ancient thread. Looking through it I didn't see much useful info and it was super off topic most of the time.

I was never talking about dieting (aside from the graaaains joke) not sure what relevance it has here. Dieting is not relevant to veganism or toe straps. I know it got mentioned back in 2009 in this thread but that was back in 2009 when this thread was last active and also when it came into existence and died. Dieting would be best in the nutrition section and discussion of veganism which is a separate thing would alas make the most sense in P&R or Foo unless the topic were specifically on cycling and finding vegan goods as it started here before it devolved on the 4th post.

Again I would suggest starting a new thread. Granted yes toe clips and straps are pretty old technology and I am pretty sure all the pros are clipless these days but still if people are using it, it could be a good new thread topic.

Oh and kudos for getting the Vacation reference : )
Old 11-06-22, 11:16 PM
josh672@l
Aluminum Ally

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If it was a great place to talk about it someone would have kept the thread going, it died 13 years ago. A new thread without the previous toxicity would have made sense rather than zombie this old bugger. The posters in it are long gone aside from one who is still an active poster but only made one post in this thread. A new thread always makes sense so if someone does search they find a new thread hopefully sans the ridiculousness of this ancient thread. Looking through it I didn't see much useful info and it was super off topic most of the time.

I was never talking about dieting (aside from the graaaains joke) not sure what relevance it has here. Dieting is not relevant to veganism or toe straps. I know it got mentioned back in 2009 in this thread but that was back in 2009 when this thread was last active and also when it came into existence and died. Dieting would be best in the nutrition section and discussion of veganism which is a separate thing would alas make the most sense in P&R or Foo unless the topic were specifically on cycling and finding vegan goods as it started here before it devolved on the 4th post.

Again I would suggest starting a new thread. Granted yes toe clips and straps are pretty old technology and I am pretty sure all the pros are clipless these days but still if people are using it, it could be a good new thread topic.

Oh and kudos for getting the Vacation reference : )
A person's diet is not the same as being on a diet. The diet of the panda bear is mainly bamboo, that doesn't mean that what she really wants is pizza but is afraid she won't be able to fit in her bikini come summertime. Her diet is bamboo, but she's not on a diet.. I'm sure you see the difference

And I never said I was looking for what the pros use. I want to ride to target or a restaurant and not have to carry and extra pair of kicks with me and change shoes before I go in and after I leave. And I'm not trying to wear a spandex body suit. I'm not a roadie, I ride fixed gear. I'm not trying to be Lance Armstrong, I'll pass on the steroids thank you. I'm happy with a critical mass ride once a month. I could care less what the pros use.

I'm done if your done, or we can keep this party going.
Old 11-07-22, 01:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

A person's diet is not the same as being on a diet. The diet of the panda bear is mainly bamboo, that doesn't mean that what she really wants is pizza but is afraid she won't be able to fit in her bikini come summertime. Her diet is bamboo, but she's not on a diet.. I'm sure you see the difference

And I never said I was looking for what the pros use. I want to ride to target or a restaurant and not have to carry and extra pair of kicks with me and change shoes before I go in and after I leave. And I'm not trying to wear a spandex body suit. I'm not a roadie, I ride fixed gear. I'm not trying to be Lance Armstrong, I'll pass on the steroids thank you. I'm happy with a critical mass ride once a month. I could care less what the pros use.

I'm done if your done, or we can keep this party going.
Just FYI veganism is not a diet.That is why I said what I said. Veganism is a way of living that completely avoids intentional exploitation and harm of animals.

The clipless comment was not about you or anyone being a pro/doing drugs just stating that is kind of where we are at for foot retention these days. However like I said if people are still interested in them let's start a thread on it, could be interesting.