Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Throttles as a regulatory target .

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Throttles as a regulatory target .

Old 09-27-22, 07:13 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I do like the band Minor Threat (though prefer Ian's later band Fugazi a bit more) but not threatening anyone.<br />No overregulation just trying to make sure we aren't classifying something that really isn't a bicycle as a bicycle and causing issues for bicycles. I get that there are older people and such but plenty of places to ride where a throttle is sensible. We see a lot of riders who are septa and octagenarians and one who is almost 90 and they ride throttle-less e-bikes and no real issues and if they did need a throttle most of them ride on the road anyway so if they got a different bike they could get one. No need to be stuck to busy roads all the time I know that must be the only option it can only be on pedestrian and multi use paths and I guess a highway or something but there are plenty of lower traffic roads in a lot of places.
<br /><br />I ride on MUPs as much as possible because I live in a city with tons of traffic and there aren't any lower traffic roads that go where anyone wants to go. The folks who regularly ride in the street are the lycra clad roadies who find the MUPS way too slow and congested because they can maintain 20-25 mph easily. WHY do you care if a bike has a throttle+PAS or just PAS if the bike is limited to the same speed (under 20 mph)? Why do you care whether another person pedals or just sits there? There is nothing special about "bicycles - they are means of transportation. This "purist ideology" is absurd imo and is the mentality that opposed e-bikes when they first came on the scene. oh no, you can't have a motor and be a bicycle. Now you can't have a throttle and be a bicycle. If it uses a chain or belt drive (direct drives are coming though) and wheels and can't go faster than 20 mph it should be fine on a MUP. Skateboards are legal there in my state, e-scooters under 20mph are legal. The more the merrier - because each one is a person not using a car. The only thing that should be banned from MUPS are *******s, lol. If you rode on a MUP with me you would never know I have a throttle; you're surely going faster than I am because I choose to enjoy my surroundings and the little take-off push of throttle I sometimes use is so perfectly modulated it just looks like I'm giving the pedal a good push. Very few people with throttles use them all the time - it's tiring to hold a button or push a throttle lever for miles.

Last edited by linberl; 09-27-22 at 07:17 PM.
Likes For linberl:
Old 09-27-22, 08:09 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,136 Times in 1,441 Posts
Ok, unless the comments become more civil the thread gets closed. Argue all you want but no insults please. Thanks
Old 09-27-22, 08:59 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Ok, unless the comments become more civil the thread gets closed. Argue all you want but no insults please. Thanks
The only argument here is from an individual who is making comments that oppose state law in most of the US including the states of at least three of the individuals responding (maybe him too since I don't know where he resides). AFAIK, he opposes this type of bike because his shop doesn't sell them. He doesn't add anything but his bias as a Specialized dealer.
Likes For 2old:
Old 09-28-22, 08:09 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I do like the band Minor Threat (though prefer Ian's later band Fugazi a bit more) but not threatening anyone.
No overregulation just trying to make sure we aren't classifying something that really isn't a bicycle as a bicycle and causing issues for bicycles. I get that there are older people and such but plenty of places to ride where a throttle is sensible. We see a lot of riders who are septa and octagenarians and one who is almost 90 and they ride throttle-less e-bikes and no real issues and if they did need a throttle most of them ride on the road anyway so if they got a different bike they could get one. No need to be stuck to busy roads all the time I know that must be the only option it can only be on pedestrian and multi use paths and I guess a highway or something but there are plenty of lower traffic roads in a lot of places.
Your answer here is only adding to my willingness to oppose your ideas. You are playing a bit too close to the rules set forth by Sol Alinsky
Likes For KPREN:
Old 09-28-22, 07:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
The only argument here is from an individual who is making comments that oppose state law in most of the US including the states of at least three of the individuals responding (maybe him too since I don't know where he resides). AFAIK, he opposes this type of bike because his shop doesn't sell them. He doesn't add anything but his bias as a Specialized dealer.
Very incorrect. It is nothing to do with what I may or may not sell. Also never have said what my gender may or may not be just FYI.
Old 09-28-22, 07:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by tds101
And an ebike with a throttle is nothing like a motorcycle. But, as usual, you attempt to pull this pathetic argument out of your,...hat,...🤣🤣🤣
Hence why they are mopeds not motorcycles. Motorcycles wouldn't have pedals, I was literally talking about actual motorcycles and riding them. It sort of flew over you. I would make some joke about not wearing hats but I do actually wear hats so it wouldn't be prudent...not gonna do it.
Old 09-28-22, 08:39 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Hence why they are mopeds not motorcycles. Motorcycles wouldn't have pedals, I was literally talking about actual motorcycles and riding them. It sort of flew over you. I would make some joke about not wearing hats but I do actually wear hats so it wouldn't be prudent...not gonna do it.
No one actually cares about what you were referring to, so stop wasting my time.
Old 09-28-22, 08:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

No one actually cares about what you were referring to, so stop wasting my time.
You actually do care because you keep wanting to confuse things and mention them. You are wasting your own time. It is not hard it is a throttled vehicle with pedals or a moped.
Old 09-28-22, 08:46 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

You actually do care because you keep wanting to confuse things and mention them. You are wasting your own time. It is not hard it is a throttled vehicle with pedals or a moped.
It's an electric bicycle with a throttle, that you refuse to accept. Do not quote me again, as I've already stated that you're wasting my time.
Old 09-28-22, 09:13 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
It's an electric bicycle with a throttle, that you refuse to accept. Do not quote me again, as I've already stated that you're wasting my time.
He reminds me of that guy who always ranted about Asian v. US made products, lol. I'm sure there's an ignore button here somewhere.
Likes For linberl:
Old 09-28-22, 09:15 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by linberl
He reminds me of that guy who always ranted about Asian v. US made products, lol. I'm sure there's an ignore button here somewhere.
That's my next step. It shouldn't have to go that far, but it is what it is (as they say) 🤷
Old 09-29-22, 07:31 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,136 Times in 1,441 Posts
Everything on the subject has been said. No one is convincing others to change their opinion. The last several posts are unnecessary and have nothing to do with the subject. Thread closed.
Likes For StanSeven: