Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need creative or obvious way to carry single golf club on the bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need creative or obvious way to carry single golf club on the bike

Old 06-30-22, 11:42 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Duck tape to the chain stays
Old 06-30-22, 11:46 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts

my kid carries tools in a baseball backpack similar to backpack in pic
Old 06-30-22, 12:05 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
When I find myself similarly stumped, I tell myself, "A solution is at hand within 15 feet of where you're standing right now."

Example: a mountain bike front derailleur whose spring anchor point had snapped off. Jammed a twig into the derailleur to lock it over the middle chainring. Rode home, looked around, spotted a slit inner tube I'd thrown in the trash, cut a section out of the tube, rigged it to replace the spring. The derailleur shifted just as well, and maybe better. Used it that way for a couple of months until I got around to picking up a new front derailleur.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-30-22, 12:10 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'd just get a length of cord slightly longer than the club, tie an end to each end of the club, and sling it over my shoulder. As I think about it, surgical tubing would be even better than cord because it would be grippier.
Old 06-30-22, 01:12 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
When I find myself similarly stumped, I tell myself, "A solution is at hand within 15 feet of where you're standing right now."
I like that saying, and it's probably time for some thread drift. A few times I'd find myself in the backcountry having forgotten to pack something. Once was eating utensils. Then I realized there are sticks lying all over the place and about a billion people eat with sticks all the time. Now I don't worry about packing utensils any more.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 06-30-22, 01:13 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Yes, but more elegant - especially if yo are going to do this regularly: wrap strips cut from innertube around the headtube and seatstay/seat lug. Then tie the club to the top tube with innertube ties at those wraps. (Or wrap your club at those locations and keep the bike looking nice.)

My avatar photo shows a 24" chainwhip lashed to the top tube of my fix gear with an innertube wrap at the seatstay and around the tool handle. Toestraps secure it. (I made the tool with a piece that fits the seatstay to make it more secure. This was for week long tours, not a three mile trip to a golf course.)
I carried my hockey stick along my top tube with velcro. 4 mile ride each way. I'm not a very good hockey player. But, the method still worked for me.
Old 06-30-22, 02:16 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Dog poop?

Beer bottles?

Syringes?
It was in the context of hitting golf balls at a park or school.

John
Old 06-30-22, 02:29 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,874 Times in 4,638 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
I want to ride my bike 5 mins to the nearby soccer field to hit practice golf balls.
I would love to ride and not take the car.
Balls fit in my pocket, but how can I carry a golf club?

Stick in backpack, half exposed?
Lay across handlebars? Unsafe?
Someone here has to have a good hack!
How do you get to the golf course with your full set of clubs?
Old 06-30-22, 02:41 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Burley makes (or once made) a trailer for this kind of thing:

This would also allow you to use all of those useless golf features on a Garmin watch.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-30-22, 02:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
How do you get to the golf course with your full set of clubs?
How big must one’s pockets be to hold enough balls to make the trip worth it?

That’s a rhetorical question. I know this thread is BS.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-30-22, 02:51 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
How big must one’s pockets be to hold enough balls to make the trip worth it?

That’s a rhetorical question. I know this thread is BS.
To be fair I'll knock some golf balls around in the back yard but only use 2 or 3 at a time cause anymore I'd just lose em.
Old 06-30-22, 02:51 PM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
Two correct methods according to Grant Peterson.

Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 06-30-22, 03:49 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Watch that you don't short the terminals on your battery.

Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-30-22, 04:13 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.homedepot.com/p/VELCRO-B...24HD/202261940
Old 06-30-22, 05:35 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
A caddy?
Old 06-30-22, 07:40 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,493 Times in 1,190 Posts
I wrap a fishing pole to my top tube with a long bungie, but I bet you could just slide it down the back of your shirt.
Old 06-30-22, 08:15 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
For the amount of time spent on this thread, the OP could have walked there a dozen times.

John
Old 06-30-22, 08:53 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
You could find a $5 ancient BAG BOY pull cart from your local Goodwill or from a garage sale.
Many of the BAG BOY models from the 1960's and 1970's have a pull handle which is almost infinitely adjustable as to the angle of the handle.
You'll see it when you see it.
Most others have a fixed angle of the handle stem which can't be adjusted (the golfer pulling, or pushing the bag has to use his/her arms to lift/lower their hands to the most comfortable and effective position for use.
Many of the various pull carts from the 1950's, 1960's and early 1970's were very well built, with quality axles and frames and very strong and sturdy with quality steel ball bearings and almost indestructible wheels. Most before the early sixties have narrow one inch hard steel wheels, like from a fifties era child's red radio line wagon, or from a fifties era garbage can cart, or from those triangular shape garden cart-wheelbarrows from the fifties.
If one was to find two front wheels from junk childrens' bikes ( example:spoked steel with innertube with schrader valve and not too agressive tread...no severly knobby-motocross like tires.... ideally,.you want normal, unagressive rubber tread pattern on the tires.) You could maybe find similar innertube & tire, pneumatic tire, garden cart-dolly type replacement wheels at Harbor Freight but junk bikes laying on a curbside trashpile might be the best low-cost solution.
Essentially, you adapt the ancient pull-cart in the same way that a purpose built bike trailer attaches. (e.g. like that Burley trailer that someone posted a picture of earlier)
My guess is you'll need scavenged used bicycle wheels to replace the original golf pull-cart wheels BECAUSE the pneumatic tire and shrader valve innertube bicycle front wheels scavenged for this DIY conversion will allow for a much smoother, more cushioned ride for the clubs, and a more stable ride for this DIY trailer golf cart following behind your bicycle. These ancient, strong, well built metal pull-carts already securely cradle most any size or shaped golf bag. The DIY part that you'll be faced with would be adapting the handle-arm to safely and securely attach like a bike trailer to your specific bicycle.
One important thing that you should remember to do each and every time AFTER YOU BUILD THE DIY trailer type attachment.....
**You'll need to use a golf bag that has the Snap On or Zip On "rain cover" or "airline travel cover"......whatever you want to call it......you know it is that which stores in the large long side pocket of the golf bag and seldom ever gets used by hacks and duffers, or folks in Southern California where it never rains, but good golfers who play all the time in the rain know the importance of trying to keep the grips dry.....thus the snap on rain hood is wonderful in rainy conditions. THE REASON THAT YOU WOULD WANT IT ATTACHED, SNAPPED ON OVER YOUR CLUBHEADS, FULLY ZIPPED, is Because it Will Keep The Clubs Contained Within The Golf Bag, Should You Go Over Any Bumps, or Irregularities in the Road while you are pedalling to the course with your clubs following your bike at 18 mph. You don't want the clubs to bounce straight up........the secured , fully closed up snap on rain hood will keep your clubs from doing that while in the DIY ancient golf cart trailer.

pictures of some really ancient type of golf pull carts that might give you a good DIY idea..............you'll likely find something like those for about $5 at Goodwill.
Lots of country folk in the South, find and look for those old golf pull carts to make low cost but effective DEER CARTS.
https://www.bcgolfhouse.com/history-of-golf-pull-cart
Old 06-30-22, 09:05 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak

Example: a mountain bike front derailleur whose spring anchor point had snapped off. Jammed a twig into the derailleur to lock it over the middle chainring. Rode home, looked around, spotted a slit inner tube I'd thrown in the trash, cut a section out of the tube, rigged it to replace the spring. The derailleur shifted just as well, and maybe better. Used it that way for a couple of months until I got around to picking up a new front derailleur.
My Di2 battery died once mid ride while in the small ring. I used a folded up Alavert blister pack to jam the FD into the big chain ring for the remaining 7 miles home.

Please don’t quote this post in the Di2 thread.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-01-22, 05:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
You could find a $5 ancient BAG BOY pull cart from your local Goodwill or from a garage sale.
Many of the BAG BOY models from the 1960's and 1970's have a pull handle which is almost infinitely adjustable as to the angle of the handle.
You'll see it when you see it.
Most others have a fixed angle of the handle stem which can't be adjusted (the golfer pulling, or pushing the bag has to use his/her arms to lift/lower their hands to the most comfortable and effective position for use.
Many of the various pull carts from the 1950's, 1960's and early 1970's were very well built, with quality axles and frames and very strong and sturdy with quality steel ball bearings and almost indestructible wheels. Most before the early sixties have narrow one inch hard steel wheels, like from a fifties era child's red radio line wagon, or from a fifties era garbage can cart, or from those triangular shape garden cart-wheelbarrows from the fifties.
If one was to find two front wheels from junk childrens' bikes ( example:spoked steel with innertube with schrader valve and not too agressive tread...no severly knobby-motocross like tires.... ideally,.you want normal, unagressive rubber tread pattern on the tires.) You could maybe find similar innertube & tire, pneumatic tire, garden cart-dolly type replacement wheels at Harbor Freight but junk bikes laying on a curbside trashpile might be the best low-cost solution.
Essentially, you adapt the ancient pull-cart in the same way that a purpose built bike trailer attaches. (e.g. like that Burley trailer that someone posted a picture of earlier)
My guess is you'll need scavenged used bicycle wheels to replace the original golf pull-cart wheels BECAUSE the pneumatic tire and shrader valve innertube bicycle front wheels scavenged for this DIY conversion will allow for a much smoother, more cushioned ride for the clubs, and a more stable ride for this DIY trailer golf cart following behind your bicycle. These ancient, strong, well built metal pull-carts already securely cradle most any size or shaped golf bag. The DIY part that you'll be faced with would be adapting the handle-arm to safely and securely attach like a bike trailer to your specific bicycle.
One important thing that you should remember to do each and every time AFTER YOU BUILD THE DIY trailer type attachment.....
**You'll need to use a golf bag that has the Snap On or Zip On "rain cover" or "airline travel cover"......whatever you want to call it......you know it is that which stores in the large long side pocket of the golf bag and seldom ever gets used by hacks and duffers, or folks in Southern California where it never rains, but good golfers who play all the time in the rain know the importance of trying to keep the grips dry.....thus the snap on rain hood is wonderful in rainy conditions. THE REASON THAT YOU WOULD WANT IT ATTACHED, SNAPPED ON OVER YOUR CLUBHEADS, FULLY ZIPPED, is Because it Will Keep The Clubs Contained Within The Golf Bag, Should You Go Over Any Bumps, or Irregularities in the Road while you are pedalling to the course with your clubs following your bike at 18 mph. You don't want the clubs to bounce straight up........the secured , fully closed up snap on rain hood will keep your clubs from doing that while in the DIY ancient golf cart trailer.

pictures of some really ancient type of golf pull carts that might give you a good DIY idea..............you'll likely find something like those for about $5 at Goodwill.
Lots of country folk in the South, find and look for those old golf pull carts to make low cost but effective DEER CARTS.
History of Golf Pull Cart |

You forgot the possibility of building a small dirigible airship capable of lifting the club and controlling it as a drone while riding.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-01-22, 05:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
For the amount of time spent on this thread, the OP could have walked there a dozen times.

John

Seriously, how many ways can there be to accommodate a relatively small object for a 5 minute ride?

OP keeps disproving the old saying about there being no such thing as a stupid question.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-01-22, 07:29 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I rode across town with a weed-eater on my back the other day by taking a length of it's string and tying it to each end of it to make a sling that I could put over my shoulder like a messenger bag.
Likes For beng1:
Old 07-01-22, 08:29 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 409 Posts
This thread/question reminded me of a thread that originated more than a decade ago, but was resurrected at the end of last year (2021). The premise, to me, was kind of humorous. But, maybe it can provide the OP with a solution.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...word-bike.html

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 07-01-22, 08:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Things I carried on my bike when I was young and stupid:

A cello
A mandolin
An end table
A floor lamp (bulb removed)

And the ever-popular pony-riding a second bike.

I regularly rode with my violin, but I had a proper case for that complete with a shoulder strap, so I don't count that as stupid.
Old 07-01-22, 09:02 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Seriously, how many ways can there be to accommodate a relatively small object for a 5 minute ride?

OP keeps disproving the old saying about there being no such thing as a stupid question.
To be fair the amount of people telling him to mount it to the top tube (where something as heavy as a golf club could easily come loose and get caught up in a wheel) shows that even stupid questions can have dumber answers. OP learn to ride one handed... or your backpack idea isn't terrible but id rather just ride one handed. You really dont need much skill. "hopping curves" is much harder than riding one handed and you have to do that on your 5 minute commute

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.