Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Gravel bike tyre width for roads

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Gravel bike tyre width for roads

Old 09-12-22, 09:11 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I’m in the “wider is better” camp. Unless you’re trying to get your commute done with a 18-20mph average, there’s no reason to conflate speed with efficiency.

I don’t know much about the OP’s proposed route, but things like traffic, surface conditions and changes in these along the route may mean that the “fastest” bike configuration might not be the most effective.

When I was commuting to my old job, I found that while I did set the fastest time on my ‘fast’ road bike, my most consistently fast bike, according to my RWGPS tracking, was my XC hard tail MTB, running 1.95” BMX tires. My route had a combination of MUP, street surfaces and “super-sidewalks” with frequent surface transitions, and the big tires allowed the MTB to maintain a moving average speed within 0.5 mph of my road and touring bikes, which clocked significantly higher top speeds; the MTB didn’t have to slow down as much
Old 09-12-22, 10:45 PM
Stano9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the recommendations so far.

Originally Posted by mattkime
What wheels / rims do you have?

How much do you plus bike and gear weigh?
My rims have 20mm internal width and I'm already 260lbs without gear etc. so what would that mean for min width?
Old 09-12-22, 11:15 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5755 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
Originally Posted by Stano9

My rims have 20mm internal width and I'm already 260lbs without gear etc. so what would that mean for min width?
At 260+ pounds, I don't get why you're so focused on MINIMUM width. After all you don't see trucks running on sports car tires.

However the straight answer to your question is something close to 1.5x the 20mm width, ie 30mm or so.

Ideally the mounted tire cross section should resble an omega. That circular section allows the sides to flex and bow out sideways as the center tread depresses against the pavement. When everything is right, you're riding on air, and rolling resistance is minimized.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-12-22 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-12-22, 11:30 PM
Stano9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
At 260+ pounds, I don't get why you're so focused on MINIMUM width. After all you don't see trucks running on sports car tires.

However the straight answer to your question is something close to 1.5x the 20mm width, 30mm or so.
Not sure I get the anolgy, don't sports cars use wide tires.

Thanks for the numbers.
Old 09-13-22, 12:05 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts

I’d stay somewhere in the 35-38 range you’ve already got on there.

you can get something light and racy like Gravel Kings or some of the Conti GP or Contact series, or go the other way with any number of the Schwalbe Marathon family or split the difference with a classic touring tire like the Panaracer Paselas.

Given your weight, and that you’re probably going to be carrying some gear, I’d look at some of the beefier touring-oriented options like the Marathon Supreme, something with a little tread, and puncture protection to shrug off the road hazards.
Old 09-13-22, 03:53 AM
Stano9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Think I'll go with the schwalbe Marathon Plus in 38mm.
Old 09-13-22, 05:49 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 1,057 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon and Marathon Plus are among the top tires for commuting / durability / flat resistance

the standard Marathon will weigh less and roll better

this past summer met a few long distance bikers that switched to Marathon or Marathon Plus with great results
Old 09-14-22, 05:57 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Hate to tell you, but all this talk about speed and efficiency is totally out of the window if you use a heavy, stiff walled tire like the marathon plus.
You're a big fellow, so wider is always going to be better, but a marathon plus could very well be slower than your stock tires--but if you prioritize flat protection (and that's ok) then forget about speed, efficiency and nicer ride quality.

I have 32 supremes on my faster bike and love the ride feel. Sometimes I have 38 and 50 supremes on my touring bike, same opinion.

Until you ride more flexible tires, you can't imagine how much nicer they ride.
But again, you are nearly twice my weight, so wider is better and can still be fast IF you choose a nice rolling tire, and marathon plus is not this.
Old 09-14-22, 07:23 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Marathons of any variety would not be my choice if speed is what you want. I had a set of Marathon Supremes (forget the size, I think 32mm) and while they were surprisingly and impressively fast for a bomb-proof tire, switching to Compass (now Rene Herse) Bon Jon Pass 35mm ELs was a noticeable improvement in comfort and speed. The tradeoff is that they lack the extra protection of something like a Marathon Supreme.
Old 09-14-22, 08:55 AM
mattkime

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I agree with others that recommend a more supple tire. Yes, flats are a pain but you're unnecessarily slowing yourself down unless you know there are a lot of tire hazards on your way to work.
Old 09-14-22, 12:09 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 1,057 Posts
@ 260 lbs + most any tire will be 'supple'

and paper thin sidewalls would become a negative
Old 09-14-22, 12:20 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5755 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,395 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

Suppleness has nothing to do with payload, it's an inherent property of the tire itself. Yes, it's relatively less important with heavier riders, but ANY increase in sidewall stiffness will increase rolling drag.

As for paper thin sidewalls, again not a rider weight related consideration. The structure and pressure rating of the tire is purely a function of the body plies. Rubber is added to the sidewalls purely to protect those body plies from weather and road hazards. Riders riding on paved roads at proper inflation don't need to worry about the sidewalls. However, if you have gum (para) covered sidewalls, be aware that these are subject to UV or weather damage, so periodic inspection may be called for.

IMO- and biased by 50+ years riding tubulars, the best --- most efficient --- tires for road use are the treadless skinside tires offered by the major brands.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-14-22, 12:43 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
That's a heavy tire. Just my 2 cents, but I'd go with a tubeless lighter tire. Something like the smooth Gravelkings.
Old 09-14-22, 01:19 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Suppleness has nothing to do with payload, it's an inherent property of the tire itself. Yes, it's relatively less important with heavier riders, but ANY increase in sidewall stiffness will increase rolling drag.
Agree with Frank on this one. You can argue the extra mass of a 260 pound rider gives much more momentum than a 90 pound weakling/climber, but even a clydesdale will notice the additional hysteresis drag of the stiffer tire.