Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding on the road when there’s bike lanes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding on the road when there’s bike lanes

Old 09-15-22, 12:24 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7620 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I'll pull to the right after a blind curve, but I never wave the motorist to pass. It's up to the overtaking vehicle to decide if it's safe to pass or not.
Too many times I have had a vehicle folow right behind me, unwilling to pass, while six or seven more cars lien up ... experience has shown me that it is not good to hold up a line of cars ... the last idiot in line will see no obstacle ahead, pull into the oncoming traffic lane, and pass them all---and pull back into the lane, right on top of me .... assuming no cars are coming during all that.

I assume all of us are alive and I assume all of us have plenty of experience dealing with traffic, so I am okay if we do it different ways .... so long as a car doesn't hit me I am pretty much fine if it hits you ..... I mean, if you avoid incidents in a different manner.
Old 09-15-22, 12:34 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 2,199 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
People hanging their clothes on the side of the road. Looks like nice road to bike on. Where is this if u don't mind.
Not sure what size 'there is a wire here' markers you wear? Or if you like 'em rusted.
This is a short cut commuting/truck route between Newcastle/Renton Highlands and Issaquah, WA USA
Lovely on Sat/Sun/holiday mornings, otherwise Sharing the Road is the order of the day.

R U local? Location matters.
Old 09-15-22, 12:41 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Since bike lanes went in downtown the amount of bike traffic has dropped sharply. Maybe a quarter of what is was. Outside of downtown general bike use has increased enormously.

We used to see old people slowly getting to their destination by bike. They are entirely gone. The lanes are too difficult, too dangerous.

Who does ride the lanes are gangs of school kids. They ride the oneway lanes the wrong direction and blow through every stoplight without looking. Yes, there are collisions.

City meetings about the lanes are always the same three people and unorthodox views are shouted down, just like here.
Old 09-15-22, 12:51 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6133 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,310 Posts
Originally Posted by L134
The local bicycle advocacy group, San Diego Bicycle Coalition, is pushing these damn things and they are, unfortunately, multiplying! In my view, they are the most dangerous place anyone can ride and I avoid them like the plague. They are unsafe at anything more than walking speed so what is the point?
Bicycle advocacy groups like them because they are supposed to be safer (they aren’t) for newbies. Unfortunately anyone who knows how to ride in traffic is trapped in these damned things.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-15-22, 01:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Get those clouds off my lawn!!!

Sorry, can't hear you, too busy staring at my front wheel.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-15-22, 02:49 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
How many of you still prefer to ride on the road even though there is a dedicated bike lane.
Just to be clear, a bike lane can just be paint on the side of the road. You are talking about either a separate bike lane (some barrier between the travel lane and the bike lane) or maybe even a separated path. If it's just paint then the only reasons not to ride in the bike lane is vehicles parked there, broken pavement, or debris. If it is a separate bike lane or path, there are all kinds of reasons not to ride there.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 09-15-22, 03:11 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 266 Posts
I avoid bike lanes where possible, as they are narrow, and bristling with barriers and dangerous lane dividers, and they eventually fill up with glass, road debris and broken car parts. Add to that the usual denizens of bike paths which includes kids on tricycles, aimless inexperienced cyclists, skateboarders, rollerbladers, pedestrians stopped cold in the middle having a 'coffee clatch', and dog owners with 20 foot long leashes that get caught up in your wheels.

Several years ago some misguided do-gooder bike advocates ruined one of the main north-south routes in town, by installing a 'bike path', which consisted of a borrowing a 10' wide strip of the roadway, installing a low concrete barrier, and plastic lane markers. Whereas the road previously was a 2-laner with very wide shoulders, now there are no shoulders, and cyclists riding at any speed are faced with a scary slalom course of lane markers, dog walkers, and broken-off car mufflers. Presumably the mufflers are there because cars hit the low barrier.

The solution to this is for experienced cyclists to be on top of the activities and lobbying of the local advocates and intervene in their efforts to construct more of these disasters. Know you local planning departments and city councilors.
Old 09-15-22, 03:16 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3179 Post(s)
Liked 2,006 Times in 1,149 Posts
[QUOTE=Mtracer;22647405]

Where I live, New Mexico, a few years back there was some proposed legislation to say that cyclist must use a bike path if available. This got shot down rather quickly. /QUOTE]

NY State law states you must use a bike path or bike lane if one is present. I suspect you could argue if the lane or path has structural defects that make it unsafe, but you'd be doing that in front of a judge after receiving the ticket.
Old 09-15-22, 05:48 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by Steve B.
NY State law states you must use a bike path or bike lane if one is present. I suspect you could argue if the lane or path has structural defects that make it unsafe, but you'd be doing that in front of a judge after receiving the ticket.
yeah, but you would be able to argue, because you would be alive.
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Several years ago some misguided do-gooder bike advocates ruined one of the main north-south routes in town, by installing a 'bike path', which consisted of a borrowing a 10' wide strip of the roadway, installing a low concrete barrier, and plastic lane markers. Whereas the road previously was a 2-laner with very wide shoulders, now there are no shoulders, and cyclists riding at any speed are faced with a scary slalom course of lane markers, dog walkers, and broken-off car mufflers. Presumably the mufflers are there because cars hit the low barrier.
Those low barriers are the worst. Cars going fast enough can cross them, although with complete loss of control and considerable damage, and end up on top of cyclists ... and cyclists can't hop them and if they sideswipe a barrier they fall into traffic.

Brilliant.
Old 09-15-22, 07:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
OK I lied. Again! If there is a path adjacent to the road, I usually will ride in the vehicle lane, unless I am blocking cars, to avoid glass, nails, mufflers and evil spirits. Varia alerts me to approaching vehicles so I know to get over. When I get the visual and auditory ‘all clear’ I do a head check and move back into the lane.

Old 09-15-22, 07:49 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,174 Posts
I've rode in areas where they have an 8' shoulder. You know, it's not a bike lane unless someone designates it as one....
Old 09-15-22, 08:02 PM
Trueblood

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
I believe in NYC, you are required to use the bike lane if it exists. Of course people often double park in bike lanes. The 'protected' bike lanes are hazardous, with electric bikes, scooters, citibikes, and private bikes, frequently going the wrong way....but I use them anyway. Pedestrians crossing against the light while on a mobile is frequently a feature. The 8th and 6th Ave protected lanes require a high degree of care. I will sometimes stray out of the dedicated lane on CPW when there are too many folks riding the wrong way, and then return a bit further along.
Old 09-15-22, 08:40 PM
TurboTrueno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I do it fairly often to avoid shattered glass. I've wondered if it is normal to have this much shattered glass on the roadside? Shattering windows is so rare in collisions, and I can tell this is green tempered window glass, not mirror glass shards

Even the seperated bike paths have this shattered glass here. Is it like this everywhere?
Old 09-15-22, 08:56 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,367 Times in 2,798 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboTrueno
I do it fairly often to avoid shattered glass. I've wondered if it is normal to have this much shattered glass on the roadside? Shattering windows is so rare in collisions, and I can tell this is green tempered window glass, not mirror glass shards

Even the seperated bike paths have this shattered glass here. Is it like this everywhere?
Like yes. There is an epidemic of car break-ins, at least in my area. People are looking for whatever they can steal and sell.

Old 09-15-22, 09:27 PM
TurboTrueno

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Too bad

Here too, but this glass is on like main roads and 80kph roads with no parking. maybe it just was embedded in peoples' car tires etc and was carried along
Old 09-16-22, 04:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Bike path or bike lane involve the same question for me. Outside of the obvious "is it rideable" question, my number one consideration is where it puts me in relation to cars turning rihht at the intersection. Those paths that are a few feet to the right from the road are invariably awful at busy intersections.
Old 09-16-22, 05:43 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2716 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,024 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboTrueno
Too bad

Here too, but this glass is on like main roads and 80kph roads with no parking. maybe it just was embedded in peoples' car tires etc and was carried along
Ends up inside the door until it rattles out the drain holes
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-16-22, 06:17 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
How many of you still prefer to ride on the road even though there is a dedicated bike lane.
I ride on the road for the most part, despite bike lanes. I wouldn't have voted for the addition of bike lanes if given the choice. Here, they are more of a feel good civic add-on and political point gainer; "see? we're doing something for the environment". I've found that the demographic which wants bike lanes are mainly female oriented.
Old 09-16-22, 07:16 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 818 Posts
I'll pull to the right after a blind curve, but I never wave the motorist to pass. It's up to the overtaking vehicle to decide if it's safe to pass or not.

If it's an uphill curve, I'll get over as far as I can, do a track stand and look back at the motorist. They almost always pass at that point, but if they won't pass, I get going again.

Edit: The "here's why you don't wave motorists to pass" scenario

1. You're climbing a twisty mountain road
2. A vehicle catches you and starts following
3. You round a blind curve and see that IN YOUR OPINION it's safe to pass
4. You wave the motorist to pass
5. The motorist passes, gets a view of the road beyond the blind curve, thinks that it's NOT SAFE TO PASS
6. Motorist does something unsafe, like swerving into you.
I often signal to motorists when I am ready for them to pass. Whether motorists pass on their terms or when I signal that I am ready for them to pass, they will react the same way in #5 and #6 above. Beyond that, I like my chances of reading the whole of the situation well enough to preclude what you pointed out in 5 and 6. I'll also hold up a hand as if to say wait when my read tells me it's not safe.
Old 09-16-22, 07:19 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by b88
How many of you still prefer to ride on the road even though there is a dedicated bike lane. Too many young kids and old people in the lanes who cannot control their bikes. I was riding on the road when this motorist behind me kept leaning on his horn. I was as close to the right side as possible but instead of passing me, he stayed behind me all the way to the next intersection blasting his horn.

At the intersection, the motorist had to size me up before rolling down his window to berate me. Stating I should not be the road. Other cyclists joined in saying I’m an idiot. Meanwhile I yell out to the guy. I am legally allowed to ride on the road but you have a dog on your lap while driving which is illegal. Of course he was oblivious to this, only wanting to drive his point across that I should not be riding on the road.

There are no shortage of cyclists who will refuse to ride any MUP or bike lane, because some of them are bad. Some bike lanes and MUPs are fantastic. Others are not. Whether I use them or not is situational, though I do normally use dedicated infrastructure when it's available, even if it's not ideal.
Old 09-16-22, 07:21 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I often signal to motorists when I am ready for them to pass. Whether motorists pass on their terms or when I signal that I am ready for them to pass, they will react the same way in #5 and #6 above. Beyond that, I like my chances of reading the whole of the situation well enough to preclude what you pointed out in 5 and 6. I'll also hold up a hand as if to say wait when my read tells me it's not safe.
Exactly .... I am not saying everyone should do this ... as Mr. Eastwood tells us, "A good man knows his limitations ... "

But ....

If I cannot tell when it is safe to signal a car to pass, it would imply that I cannot safely drive a car. And, While i assume many of us lived most of our lives car-free, as I did, I also assume we all learned to drive, drove occasionally, and drive often to get to places to ride too far to ride to ....

So yes, I have no issue deciding what to tell a driver. What the driver decides ... depends on whether s/he is staring at the phone, or the nav screen.
Old 09-16-22, 07:32 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Exactly .... I am not saying everyone should do this ... as Mr. Eastwood tells us, "A good man knows his limitations ... "

But ....

If I cannot tell when it is safe to signal a car to pass, it would imply that I cannot safely drive a car. And, While i assume many of us lived most of our lives car-free, as I did, I also assume we all learned to drive, drove occasionally, and drive often to get to places to ride too far to ride to ....

So yes, I have no issue deciding what to tell a driver. What the driver decides ... depends on whether s/he is staring at the phone, or the nav screen.
I find it odd that some cyclists have an aversion to communicating with motorists. We do it regularly when we drive our motor vehicles. If I am on the interstate and see a trucker ahead of me signal a lane change, I'll flash my lights to let them know I am ready for them to come over. I have waved faster moving motorists around me on two lane back roads. If someone needs to enter the road from a side street or parking lot, I may flash my lights at them or wave them on. So the idea that it is somehow not a good idea to communicate with motorists while we are riding our bicycles seems strange to me.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 09-16-22, 08:19 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2568 Post(s)
Liked 1,889 Times in 1,185 Posts

If it's an uphill curve, I'll get over as far as I can, do a track stand and look back at the motorist. They almost always pass at that point, but if they won't pass, I get going again.

Edit: The "here's why you don't wave motorists to pass" scenario

1. You're climbing a twisty mountain road
2. A vehicle catches you and starts following
3. You round a blind curve and see that IN YOUR OPINION it's safe to pass
4. You wave the motorist to pass
5. The motorist passes, gets a view of the road beyond the blind curve, thinks that it's NOT SAFE TO PASS
6. Motorist does something unsafe, like swerving into you.
I'll wave them to pass sometimes. For instance, coming over a blind hill, being followed 50 feet back by a timid cager, if there's a downhill followed by a quarter mile of straight flat road, waving the motorist forward can encourage them to close the gap and perhaps pass. If I didn't wave them forward, I'd be halfway down the road and accelerating before they could catch me, and getting into the "will another car come into view too close to finish the pass at the end of the straight?" territory. I'm pretty picky about when to do that, of course.

I will stick out a hand to indicate it's NOT safe to pass anytime that seems appropriate. I'm continue to be amazed (and disgusted) at the number of people who think it's a good idea to get around the bicyclist going into a blind turn or blind hill -- one that I can see past, and know there's a car coming the other way!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-16-22, 08:20 AM
Desibona

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unfortunately, because of the materials and garbage that are randomly placed on the bike paths.
Likes For Desibona:
Old 09-16-22, 08:28 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3298 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 1,714 Posts

But ....

The problem is not that you can tell when it is safe to pass.

The problem is that you cannot tell if the driver behind you will think it is safe to pass.

Nobody can read minds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.