Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Old 01-10-23, 10:47 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,317 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
As someone with far more experience with discs that smd4…both setting them up and using them…as well as 50+ years of hand brake experience including using cantilevers on mountain bikes on mountain bike trails that people now tell me can only be ridden with disc brakes, I can confidently say that I’ve never experienced a situation where I couldn’t “precisely and accurately control the amount of clamping force” on any brake surface…rim or disc. As noted above, I have a bike that has disc front and linear back. I don’t use different clamping force depending on which brake I’m actuating. I don’t notice any difference in the force needed nor is one easier to use than the other. I have several cantilever equipped bikes as well and notice no difference in the ability to brake…even when doing so on fast downhills with a heavily loaded touring bike. The bikes…all of them independent of the braking system…stop where and when I need them to stop. It’s not something that I even think about while I ride.

Well they are being forced on us. Some of us have older bikes with rim brakes because a replacement isn’t available and, as has been noted elsewhere, there’s no need to discard a bike just because they don’t have the latest and greatest technology. My Moots…the one with the disc front and linear rear…is a very good bike that would cost me $8000 just for new frame. It still works as a mountain bike and there’s lots of other things I could dump $8000 on.

There is also the contingent of folks here on the Bike Forums and out in the world who try to convince us that we are risking out lives by using rim brakes. This whole thread started innocently enough with the simple question of “anyone else keeping their rim brake frames?”, and has garnered a whole bunch of insulting responses including being called luddites, being told that we are going to die if we don’t use discs, being told we are inadequate because we don’t use discs, etc. The question wasn’t “are rim brakes better?” or “are disc brakes bad?” There really was no need for disc brake users to even respond other then to stir the pot.

JohnDThompson has a valid point. Far too much is made out of rim wear. In my own personal experience…40 bikes over 40 to 45 years including mountain biking for most or all of that…I’ve replaced only 3 or 4 rims due to wear. In my experience at the local co-op (15 years of at least once a week volunteering and working on upwards of 20,000 bikes as well as donation take in), I seldom run across a rim that is worn out. I won’t say never but worn rims with visible cupping of the brake surface is a rare event, maybe 1 out of every 100 to 300 wheels.
Nothing innocent about this post. Take a look at the OP's first few threads it's a troll fest of epic proportions. Just chumming the water to get a feeding frenzy started, myself and the usual suspects jumping in.
Old 01-10-23, 10:49 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 2,976 Posts
No. It that us “rim guys” don’t think disc brakes are an upgrade. They are at most a lateral move.
I wasn't talking about the more sensible guys like you. My comments were aimed squarely at those who think disc brakes are most definitely a major downgrade, orchestrated entirely by Big Bike marketing to fool the less clever folk into buying a whole new bike.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-10-23, 10:51 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
We don't need no steenkin' disc brakes

Or Tubeless Tires

Or Brifters

Or... Well now... Let me think... Ha, I take it back. I may not need them but they sure must be nice ta have...

Last edited by zandoval; 01-10-23 at 11:07 AM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 01-10-23, 11:00 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,902 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If every poster had included the clause "Speaking strictly for myself" before offering an opinion, and not pushed rather absolutist ideas about disc brakes (esp in the limited actual experience), the thread would've died a quick death.
I love that my admission of experience (do you know exactly how much experience I have? And what that experience might be?), is such a bone of contention in this thread, And that you can't seem to let go of it as your main focus of argument! Again, it seems that's all you got.
Old 01-10-23, 11:09 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,254 Times in 2,934 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I love that my admission of experience (do you know exactly how much experience I have? And what that experience might be?), is such a bone of contention in this thread, And that you can't seem to let go of it as your main focus of argument! Again, it seems that's all you got.
You might want to review the thread to see who wrote what.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-10-23, 11:20 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,925 Times in 4,666 Posts
You're half way there.

It was your admitted lack of experience along with your several inaccurate claims about disc brakes, which have been quoted several times already. (So I won't bother doing it again.)

You remind me of a mother-in-law I once had, who exclaimed that The Simpsons is just an awful, awful television show. When I asked how many episodes she'd seen, she replied, "None! Why would I watch such a stupid program?"
Old 01-10-23, 11:23 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,902 Times in 1,763 Posts
You're half way there.

It was your admitted lack of experience along with your several inaccurate claims about disc brakes, which have been quoted several times already. (So I won't bother doing it again.)

You remind me of a mother-in-law I once had, who exclaimed that The Simpsons is just an awful, awful television show. When I asked how many episodes she'd seen, she replied, "None! Why would I watch such a stupid program?"
Again, I would get absolutely zero benefit from disc brakes. Zero, Nada, Zilch.
Old 01-10-23, 11:29 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,008 Times in 3,788 Posts
The rub is that your statements about disc brake performance (on/off, poor modulation) are so significantly different than what others experience.
Old 01-10-23, 11:38 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,317 Times in 671 Posts
Except for better braking performance ("the action or process of carrying out or accomplishing an action, task, or function.")
Old 01-10-23, 11:41 AM
Koyote

Given your claims about disc brakes, you apparently haven't used a good setup; so your judgment is a bit uninformed. But at any rate, if you had framed it this way ("I would get..."), you wouldn't have gotten so much pushback.

Originally Posted by Eric F
The rub is that your statements about disc brake performance (on/off, poor modulation) are so significantly different than what others experience.
Yep. He's not ridden a decent setup.

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Except for better braking performance ("the action or process of carrying out or accomplishing an action, task, or function.")
And he may not need better braking than he's already getting from rim brakes. But that's a separate matter from posting a bunch of inaccurate and uninformed opinions about disc brakes.
Old 01-10-23, 11:45 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Serious question since I don't use discs. Can you use brake cleaner on bicycle disc rotors?
Yes.
Old 01-10-23, 11:48 AM
Koyote

And this is what bf has come to: arguments about disc vs rim brakes, and hookers in Dubai.

It was inevitable.
Old 01-10-23, 11:52 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
Another successful thread by a "new for the umpteenth time user," designed to do nothing but promote bickering.

Old 01-10-23, 12:03 PM
tomato coupe

And this is what bf has come to: arguments about disc vs rim brakes, and hookers in Dubai.

It was inevitable.
Yes, and just like those deleted hooker threads, disc brakes will disappear without a trace once people see them for what they really are.
Old 01-10-23, 12:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,008 Times in 3,788 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Another successful thread by a "new for the umpteenth time user," designed to do nothing but promote bickering.
Meh. It makes my work day go by faster.
Old 01-10-23, 12:05 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson

N.B. in all the decades I've been riding, I've never actually had to replace a rim due to wear on the brake track.
The last rim I replaced due to brake track wear was an Open Pro which had maybe 10K miles on it. Started pulsating when braking and I measured it with a micrometer and it was substantially worn. I don't remember the number but it was surprising.

I'm over 200 pounds and do a lot of mountainous riding.

I have been with riders twice when the brake track blew off their front rims. The first one I was close and it was quite loud. I have seen other rims with the brake track collapsed.

When I used rim brakes on my mtb I rode in the wet a lot and I could tell when the front rim was gone because there would be a bad low spot which would thump through the bars when braking. I wore out several rims on rim braked mountain bikes.

I'm not anti-rim brakes, both my road bikes have them. There are times when I wish for something stronger, however.
Old 01-10-23, 12:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Member when someone claimed disc brakes will create imbalance due to weight on the left side of the bike, all the while ignoring the reality that rim brake bikes have chainrings, cassette, derailleurs, and chain on the right side?

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-10-23, 12:25 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Wow... lots of shaming of rim brake proponents here. Not a very inclusive discussion.

Rim brake proponents are being called out for being:
  • Luddites (anti-tech)
  • Inexperienced (with new tech)
  • C&V fans (worst than Luddites)
  • Conspiracy theorists (stick it to the man!)
  • Delusional
  • Etc.
However, the best rim brake proponents (me and Chris Froome) want rim-brake tech because it is simply better, regardless of cost:
  • It is a lot lighter, particularly due to the frame and fork design that doesn't have to support disc-brake forces
  • The wheels are lighter, due to not having to deal with greater braking forces.
  • The rim-brake forks are more compliant, due to not having to be bulked up for disc braking forces
  • Rim brake wheels are more aero
  • Rim brakes don't slice you or your pals in a crash
  • Rim brakes are cheaper and a lot easier to work on.
So there you go. Yes, I have a high-end road bike with discs. It is a boat anchor compared to the same rim brake bike but 2 years older. I work on discs almost every time I'm in the shop. I have $15k to spend on a new bike; going rim brake with Di2 Dura-Ace. Got all the parts I need, except the frame.
Old 01-10-23, 12:29 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts

Moots makes an $8000 frame? Does it have a whole lot of custom stuff?
I made a mistake and misread the spec page. That’s the cost for an XT build (Moots mountaineer YBB). Sorry. I can’t find just the bare frame on Moots page but Adrenaline Bikes sells the bare frame for about $4600. That’s not for a custom build. I’m off by around $4000 but at $4600 that’s still a fair amount of change to drop to get a disc ready frame.

That also doesn’t take into account all the other things I’d have to buy because, being the luddite I am, my current bike is a 135mm OLD 26” wheeled bike. I’d still be looking at about $8000 to make my current out of date…but perfectly adequate…YBB disc ready. I don’t consider that worth the cost just so that I can be “modern”.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-10-23, 12:42 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yes, and just like those deleted hooker threads, disc brakes will disappear without a trace once people see them for what they really are.
A whole lotta fun?
Old 01-10-23, 12:42 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Nothing innocent about this post. Take a look at the OP's first few threads it's a troll fest of epic proportions. Just chumming the water to get a feeding frenzy started, myself and the usual suspects jumping in.
May I remind you what the original post question was after the title “Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?”

Originally Posted by drz400
Maybe I'm just cheap and won't pay the price but I don't get paid to ride so I'm keeping my rim brakes. Anyone else out there or am I just an old fossil ?
There is zero that is chumming or trolling about that post. The question was asked and answered by many before a bunch of people showed up hurling insults.

drz400 is a newbie with twelve posts! That’s not many posts for someone who you label a troll. His questions might be a bit naive but I don’t see them as particularly controversial.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-10-23, 12:43 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
However, the best rim brake proponents (me and Chris Froome) want rim-brake tech because it is simply better ...
I'll see your Chris Froome and raise you one Bernard Hinault:

"It’s the most secure braking system, whether it rains or not. Whether you have carbon or aluminium rims, it doesn’t change anything."

"Carbon rims are very good when dry, but terrible when wet."

"If I was a pro, I’d have disc brakes. It works."

"Technically it has a lot of advantages."
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-10-23, 12:43 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Wow... lots of shaming of rim brake proponents here. Not a very inclusive discussion.

Rim brake proponents are being called out for being:
For the most part, a couple posters have been called out for spewing imaginary nonsense about disc brakes.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-10-23, 12:47 PM
tomato coupe

May I remind you what the original post question was after the title “Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?”
To be fair, he did ask "am I just an old fossil?"
Old 01-10-23, 12:48 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Until thru-axle becomes ubiquitous, I'm sticking w/rim-brakes. That said, rim-brakes have their own good qualities outright. So, yes, I'll be keeping mine. If I get a custom-made frameset that's meant to be light in weight, it will be rim-brake only (not even thru-axle).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.