Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

1958-1960 Cinelli Model B

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-23, 12:03 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I have a Masi built with Falck tubing.

Strange times right now, this bike should have sold with back up offers since the original post.
Demographics are going against the '50s to 80's collectables market in most categories. The people who had an attachment to halo products during that period but could not afford them are aging out and are in their paring-down phase of life. There are outliers, but generally, the trend holds with most collectables. With cycling, the purchaser pool is limited to passionate cyclists, males (with the odd exception), with discretionary income, an interest in collectables from that period, and still acquiring additional items.
Old 04-13-23, 01:21 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Demographics are going against the '50s to 80's collectables market in most categories. The people who had an attachment to halo products during that period but could not afford them are aging out and are in their paring-down phase of life. There are outliers, but generally, the trend holds with most collectables. With cycling, the purchaser pool is limited to passionate cyclists, males (with the odd exception), with discretionary income, an interest in collectables from that period, and still acquiring additional items.
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 04-13-23, 09:00 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,118 Times in 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
Or Jack Nicholson from The Shining...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 04-14-23, 07:23 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Or Jack Nicholson from The Shining...
'Eh, but the burglars from Home Alone actually were very interested in acquiring things!
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 04-14-23, 05:08 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
US demographics are not falling off a cliff as severely like other developed countries, but there is a turn approaching.
There are economic headwinds, but those have been obvious since 2007 on ebay. by 2008 there was a flip from auctions with no reserve to auctions with a high enough starting price to stand in for a reserve, then buy it now or best offer. That has continued. Components fare a bit better, but more set price or if does not sell, buy it now or make offer. Factor in that ebay has been ratcheting up the fees and shipping has very much increased, a challenge. I expect 2025 will be better.
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-14-23, 08:44 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 409 Posts
I agree, but it does seem like the stock of old bikes in good shape continues to shrink having been bought up and held by said demographic, as well as run into the ground (thank god we're well past the fixie times) by some of the younger crowd. Though the xbiking/altbiking subculture lightly and slightly flirts with permanent change to frames. Luckily they mess around with old 80s/90s mountain bikes usually. Perhaps in the next 10-25 years we'll see a large disbursement of high-end frames and bikes onto the 2nd hand market from those who grew up with bikes from the 50s-80s. And at that point, who will purchase them? I'm 29 and a severe outlier from most of the people my age who are into bikes...I wouldn't mind picking up a high end 70s race bike to be set up to be a sports tourer on the cheap

Another funny thing is parts availability. Electric shifting and disc brakes will continue to be pushed onto the market. Shimano Cues is a sign of the times, mechanical shifting is really starting to go the way of the dodo. At least, high quality parts. Luckily, friction shifting will always remain, but it's pretty annoying that shimano decided to change the cable pull with Cues and really stick it to the customer. As for what's next, who knows, the nigh-unkillable square taper bottom bracket might be on the chopping block within the decade.
Likes For Piff:
Old 04-14-23, 09:56 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Originally Posted by Piff
I agree, but it does seem like the stock of old bikes in good shape continues to shrink having been bought up and held by said demographic, as well as run into the ground (thank god we're well past the fixie times) by some of the younger crowd. Though the xbiking/altbiking subculture lightly and slightly flirts with permanent change to frames. Luckily they mess around with old 80s/90s mountain bikes usually. Perhaps in the next 10-25 years we'll see a large disbursement of high-end frames and bikes onto the 2nd hand market from those who grew up with bikes from the 50s-80s. And at that point, who will purchase them? I'm 29 and a severe outlier from most of the people my age who are into bikes...I wouldn't mind picking up a high end 70s race bike to be set up to be a sports tourer on the cheap

Another funny thing is parts availability. Electric shifting and disc brakes will continue to be pushed onto the market. Shimano Cues is a sign of the times, mechanical shifting is really starting to go the way of the dodo. At least, high quality parts. Luckily, friction shifting will always remain, but it's pretty annoying that shimano decided to change the cable pull with Cues and really stick it to the customer. As for what's next, who knows, the nigh-unkillable square taper bottom bracket might be on the chopping block within the decade.
The prices have been flat for a long time not including inflation and there seems to be no end to supply of what is considered as collectibles on eBay and local used marketplaces. Many aficionados of C&V have numerous if not dozens of bikes and have hit their acquisition limit because of personal restrictions not inaccessibility. A interesting point with bicycle collectables is there no real market for significant items with a history such as race winning bikes. For example Tom Boonen’s Paris Roubaix winning bikes or others. You would think they would show up at auctions demanding premium prices like other sport memorabilia but generally that is not the case.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 04-14-23 at 11:41 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 04-14-23, 11:38 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 750 Times in 409 Posts
The prices have been flat for a long time not including inflation and there seems to be no end to supply of what is considered as collectibles on eBay and local used marketplaces. Many aficionados of C&V have numerous if not dozens of bikes and have hit their acquisition limit because of personal restrictions not inaccessibility of an item. A interesting point with bicycle items is there no real market for significant items with a history such as race winning bikes. For example Tom Boonen’s Paris Roubaix winning bikes or others. You would think they would show up at auctions demanding premium prices like other sport memorabilia but generally that is not the case.
I guess my perspective is slightly different, I think there's been price increases for well-preserved bikes compared to 5-10 years ago. And I generally agree that many probably have hit their limit, but a lot in 'the trade' buy and sell through a revolving door. I don't really follow the top top end (because I can't afford it), but I am surprised to hear that the race-winning bikes don't command a steep premium. You'd think there'd be no higher trophy for the mega-fans.
Old 04-14-23, 11:55 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
'Eh, but the burglars from Home Alone actually were very interested in acquiring things!
Yes, and Cyril had lots of exposure to '79 Masis!
Likes For bibliobob:
Old 04-15-23, 08:40 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
The prices have been flat for a long time not including inflation and there seems to be no end to supply of what is considered as collectibles on eBay and local used marketplaces. Many aficionados of C&V have numerous if not dozens of bikes and have hit their acquisition limit because of personal restrictions not inaccessibility. A interesting point with bicycle collectables is there no real market for significant items with a history such as race winning bikes. For example Tom Boonen’s Paris Roubaix winning bikes or others. You would think they would show up at auctions demanding premium prices like other sport memorabilia but generally that is not the case.
Like many collectible items (stamps, coins, automobiles, etc.) a significant number of sales occur privately.
Many very-high-end collectors don’t bother with conventional public sites like eBay, Facebook or CL.
So yes, there is a market for those types of collectibles but no, it isn’t public or common knowledge.
Old 04-15-23, 09:04 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Like many collectible items (stamps, coins, automobiles, etc.) a significant number of sales occur privately.
Many very-high-end collectors don’t bother with conventional public sites like eBay, Facebook or CL.
So yes, there is a market for those types of collectibles but no, it isn’t public or common knowledge.
Doc is correct.
I follow and participate in the C&V sales of both bikes and sports (mostly tennis) sales pretty closely and know that there is a market for famous items especially used by famous players. It is a little sad that some of the later famous riders and players may not have appreciated or sell for as much as more recent star performers.
Old 04-15-23, 10:51 AM
alexihnen 

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Doc is correct.
I follow and participate in the C&V sales of both bikes and sports (mostly tennis) sales pretty closely and know that there is a market for famous items especially used by famous players. It is a little sad that some of the later famous riders and players may not have appreciated or sell for as much as more recent star performers.
I see this as well and find it particularly disappointing. Sports memorabilia is a massive industry. And even accounting for the relative popularity of cycling versus other major sports, I'm shocked at the the low price for some items. Trying to view it objectively, with a bike you are purchasing the actual tool an athlete used to perform his/her craft. It's almost like having the Indy Car driven by Mario Andretti. It would seem to be much more connected to the athlete and the sport's history than a game-worn baseball or basketball jersey, or a pair of shoes, but that's not what the market says. (Probably should be on another thread at this point.)
Old 04-15-23, 11:08 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
It also seems like some of this is secret society like biz.

They sell amongst themselves, often for very good money and we never see or hear anything about it, not that we could get in on it or stomach the POA anyway.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-15-23, 11:20 AM
Atlas Shrugged

The fact that many collectibles trade directly without going through a public process is another indication of the limited demand. As demand increases there is a strong incentive to market the collectible to the greatest number of potential buyers. As the potential buyers are so limited it is not worth the marketing costs to promote the product. A Confente showed up at a major auction a while ago but not sure of the outcome.
Old 04-15-23, 11:33 AM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Is this the C & V sales sub forum?
Likes For Hobbiano:
Old 04-15-23, 01:37 PM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 76 Masi, 77 Colin Laing, 78 Ritchey, 80 Jack Taylor, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 92? Andy Gilmour, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
It also seems like some of this is secret society like biz.

They sell amongst themselves, often for very good money and we never see or hear anything about it, not that we could get in on it or stomach the POA anyway.
I totally agree and totally disagree with the idea that the market for interesting/rare bikes are off to any measurable degree. Selling to a friend collector is so much better than eBay or CL and such.

Guy Apple
Likes For cinelliguy:
Old 04-15-23, 03:02 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Sorry to keep this off-topic nonsense going, but I have to chime in with the fact that in England many of the finest classic lightweight bicycles are traded rather inexpensively among the group of several hundred members in the Veteran-Cycle Club. The bi-monthly newsletters include a rather extensive classified section and most of the stuff is expected to trade hands in person at regional cycle jumble events. Some of the most experienced eBay UK purveyors are clearly making sizable profits by attending such events and bringing the bicycles and components into the public view for perhaps the first time since new in the 1930s-'50s.

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 04-18-23, 01:10 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,524 Times in 1,055 Posts
Another bump to save iab the trouble.

Somebody please buy this bike. All this waiting is giving it a terrible "I'm unloveable" complex. Kind of like Aaron Rodgers on draft day . . . .
Old 04-18-23, 05:13 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Another bump to save iab the trouble.

Somebody please buy this bike. All this waiting is giving it a terrible "I'm unloveable" complex. Kind of like Aaron Rodgers on draft day . . . .
It will likely be taking a trip south tomorrow, but full visitation rights would be allowed. With any luck, iab could ride it next year if there is a return of the Chicagoland spring rides.
Old 04-18-23, 07:33 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
The fact that many collectibles trade directly without going through a public process is another indication of the limited demand. As demand increases there is a strong incentive to market the collectible to the greatest number of potential buyers. As the potential buyers are so limited it is not worth the marketing costs to promote the product. A Confente showed up at a major auction a while ago but not sure of the outcome.
1) Not to take IAB’s sale posting entirely off course and perhaps to give it yet another affectionate bump, your economics weakness is showing. As PRICE increases, all being equal, demand falls.
2) Only high end/expensive/truly rare and collectible items sell privately. ‘Many’ is a misnomer. Lots of stuff gets marketed to the greatest number of potential buyers.
3) The comment about the Confente has no bearing on this discourse.
Old 04-18-23, 08:10 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by beech333
It will likely be taking a trip south tomorrow, but full visitation rights would be allowed. With any luck, iab could ride it next year if there is a return of the Chicagoland spring rides.
I support this plan!
Old 04-18-23, 09:43 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Originally Posted by rccardr
1) Not to take IAB’s sale posting entirely off course and perhaps to give it yet another affectionate bump, your economics weakness is showing. As PRICE increases, all being equal, demand falls.
2) Only high end/expensive/truly rare and collectible items sell privately. ‘Many’ is a misnomer. Lots of stuff gets marketed to the greatest number of potential buyers.
3) The comment about the Confente has no bearing on this discourse.
C&V bikes are fairly reasonably priced in almost all cases with no examples of a C&V bike even getting close to the price of a modern equivalent. There is no indication of any substantial price increases in the C&V market and this is before the current enthusiasts age out and start dumping bikes into a market with very limited demand. Collecting 60’s to 80’s bikes is just not a thing for younger followers of the sport. This is very evident with the high prices people are getting for older BMX gear which the current generation of collectors can relate to.

This would make cycling an outlier amongst collectibles; cars, art, watches, sports memorabilia etc. all have a public sales component so that the greatest value is achieved by the seller. Your idea that there is a secret cabal of buyers paying top dollar for premium cycling collectables without any public knowledge really makes no sense. More likely these collectable bikes are ending up in basements, garages and sheds being sold for minor or no premium.

My Confente comment was relevant as it was the only case of a C&V bike being auctioned by a reputable larger auction house amongst other collectables I had ever encountered.

But this is good news to those people who enjoy acquiring and collecting memorable bicycles and makes it a reasonably affordable hobby. If someone wants another Paramount or Cinelli it is within reason and wether the price goes up or down a bit over the time of ownership it really is not a big deal in the big scheme of things. Not so much for the restoration where you rarely get your money back out again. Even worse for those like myself who rarely hang onto bikes and sell them and take the depreciation as I change them out.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 04-18-23, 11:54 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 218 Posts
C&V bikes are fairly reasonably priced in almost all cases with no examples of a C&V bike even getting close to the price of a modern equivalent. There is no indication of any substantial price increases in the C&V market and this is before the current enthusiasts age out and start dumping bikes into a market with very limited demand. Collecting 60’s to 80’s bikes is just not a thing for younger followers of the sport. This is very evident with the high prices people are getting for older BMX gear which the current generation of collectors can relate to.

This would make cycling an outlier amongst collectibles; cars, art, watches, sports memorabilia etc. all have a public sales component so that the greatest value is achieved by the seller. Your idea that there is a secret cabal of buyers paying top dollar for premium cycling collectables without any public knowledge really makes no sense. More likely these collectable bikes are ending up in basements, garages and sheds being sold for minor or no premium.

My Confente comment was relevant as it was the only case of a C&V bike being auctioned by a reputable larger auction house amongst other collectables I had ever encountered.

But this is good news to those people who enjoy acquiring and collecting memorable bicycles and makes it a reasonably affordable hobby. If someone wants another Paramount or Cinelli it is within reason and wether the price goes up or down a bit over the time of ownership it really is not a big deal in the big scheme of things. Not so much for the restoration where you rarely get your money back out again. Even worse for those like myself who rarely hang onto bikes and sell them and take the depreciation as I change them out.
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 04-19-23, 12:18 AM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
Thanks, you now owe me a new keyboard and quarter of my berliner weisse.
Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 04-19-23, 12:23 AM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 328 Posts
@iab — sorry that we’ve collectively driven your for-sale thread off the proverbial cliff.

Also, is there some C&V game of whack-a-troll mole going on that someone failed to mention?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.