Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

fearing the slow good bye to rim brake bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

fearing the slow good bye to rim brake bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-22, 04:37 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
If you care that much, you should use the correct spelling.
Damn...didn't know we were presenting a thesis in front of the dissertation research committee. Better tighten up my spelling and grammar for my judgmental peers. Whoah.

It looks like you'd drive off a cliff if your phone told you to do so.
Jesus.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 06-07-22, 04:38 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Cycling can be about both. Or neither. Or whatever anyone wants it to be about. Don't presume to know others' motivations or claim yours is the "right" one.
Yep, for sure...good point and well taken.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 06-07-22, 04:41 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
fearing that it maybe time to sell my beloved steeds old with rim breaks to begin the Next phase in cycling.
Read that many will not build rim break bicycles. I love my bikes...feeling sadder older broker...
What's the big fear? They are just breaks (sic) on a bike. You might even prefer them.
Old 06-07-22, 04:50 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I don’t think you ever need to fear that you can’t find rim brakes going forward.

Now high end rims for those brakes might be a different issue.

John
Old 06-07-22, 05:29 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3510 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
It's about how it looks...all aesthetics.

You could keep your rim brake bike, I'm stuck with mine. Once I can afford another bike I'll get one with disc brakes and ride the same places I do now and enjoy it just as much.
Of course for some of us it’s about aesthetics! Who wants to be seen on an ugly, dirty, scratched up bike! For some of us, the mechanics of the machine are important too. Others—and I’ve seen more than enough bikes on this forum to know— don’t give a flying f how dirty the bike gets.

Then, others feel like they’re “stuck” with the bike they currently own and can’t wait to trade up to the latest-greatest.

I hope you get your disc brake bike; I’m in love with my rim brake bike. And the way it looks—and rides.

Last edited by smd4; 06-07-22 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-07-22, 06:21 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 377 Posts
fearing that it maybe time to sell my beloved steeds old with rim breaks to begin the Next phase in cycling.
Read that many will not build rim break bicycles. I love my bikes...feeling sadder older broker...
Why not convert your beloved bikes to disk brakes?
Old 06-07-22, 06:30 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
It looks like you'd drive off a cliff if your phone told you to do so.
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Jesus.
Take the wheel!

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 06-07-22, 06:59 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
I'm glad this topic is finally, for the first time, getting the attention it deserves.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-07-22, 07:01 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Why not convert your beloved bikes to disk brakes?
because.not cost efficient plus old. I do love them but like a 1990 mustang gt...very cool but newer just better.
​​sad to say it..
Old 06-07-22, 07:04 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
As long as your brakes stop, that's all that matters...makes no difference if it's rim brakes or disc brakes
Old 06-07-22, 07:08 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
This brakes my heart.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 06-07-22, 07:09 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I'm glad this topic is finally, for the first time, getting the attention it deserves.
Rim vs. disc, or brake vs. break?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-07-22, 07:12 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Rim vs. disc, or brake vs. break?
Yes.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-07-22, 07:15 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Having no fear it might rain on a big climb or the wheels exploding on long steep descents in 100F heat is the biggest advantage of discs.

If you watch UK hill climb championship where it rains often, the racers walk their bikes down from the top, they don't ride it. Many of them use rim brakes to save weight, but can't ride the bike down on it in wet conditions.
Likes For koala logs:
Old 06-07-22, 07:16 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

This guy got his finger cut off at the tender age of 4 by a disk break belonging to some brifter passing through Lompico:

Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-07-22, 08:25 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
You need to have a fleet.

A couple newer bikes that get the majority of the riding. In my case a gravel bike and a mountain bike. Both are new enough to have all the fixins, including disc brakes. These may get sold, or upgrades, or wrapped around a tree. They are super fun but don’t have soul.

Then a handful of bikes that age like fine wine. A few road bikes that are getting classicer every year. One (early aughts and 10sp Campy) I wouldn’t hesitate to ride up Pikes Peak or do the Triple Bypass on or whatever. It’s very capable but at under 500 miles a year, I don’t really expect it to ever wear out. The older bikes get even fewer miles.

Especially now, since I have been home 2 days since September, I only bring the bikes I’ll be riding with me.
Old 06-07-22, 09:02 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Ok, I’m good now. I finally forced myself to read through all the Park Tool guides on disc brake installation and maintenance and it’s not that big of a deal. So, now I don’t care about brake type when I need to build or buy a different bike.

Otto
Old 06-07-22, 09:02 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I can understand people not seeing the advantage of discs but fearing them? That I don't get. What is it that you fear?
That they straight up won't work after a decent amount of use? I ride two bikes with low end disc brakes regularly and its a complete nightmare. After paying to get it serviced the brakes are almost useless in a week or two, have spent hours trying to fix them myself. Cheap rim brakes are junk but they are much much better than cheap disc brakes. If I had to buy a new bike I would never buy disc brakes because of my bad experiences.

Also even when set up "correctly" they are prone to rubbing on the pads. Its the nature of the beast with disc brakes
Old 06-07-22, 09:07 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
That they straight up won't work after a decent amount of use? I ride two bikes with low end disc brakes regularly and its a complete nightmare. After paying to get it serviced the brakes are almost useless in a week or two, have spent hours trying to fix them myself. Cheap rim brakes are junk but they are much much better than cheap disc brakes. If I had to buy a new bike I would never buy disc brakes because of my bad experiences.

Also even when set up "correctly" they are prone to rubbing on the pads. Its the nature of the beast with disc brakes
****** bikes have ****** brakes. That's a shocker.
Old 06-07-22, 09:10 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
****** bikes have ****** brakes. That's a shocker.
400$ hybrids from a bike shop are very decent bikes, they aren't dicks sporting goods bikes, the brakes should work for thousands of miles.
Old 06-07-22, 10:07 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz

The best brakes I ever had was a classic Deore caliper rim brake on a classic steel road bike with chrome rims. It had stronger braking than cheap mechanical disc. But when it rains, the cheap disc still performed better.

I had bad experiences with cheap discs as well but eventually, I figured out how to setup correctly. I miss my classic chrome wheel bike but discs seems the way forward. It's more reliable on long and sometimes steep mountain descents, it doesn't wear out the rims, and among other advantages
Old 06-07-22, 10:23 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
With the billion different standards, I’m more confident that I can get pads for my bikes from the 80’s in 30 years than I am my new bikes in 10 years.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 06-07-22, 10:51 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
Last year I watched a YT video guy put disc brakes on his unrestored 1936 Dodge. LOL.
Old 06-07-22, 11:18 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I have four nice "road-ish" bikes. Three have rim brakes and the newest one, technically a gravel bike, has discs. I HAVE NOTHING BAD TO SAY ABOUT DISC BRAKES, THEY'RE GREAT. And I understand why the indurstry is moving that way - it's the only type of road bike that's selling. There's just not a market for rim brake road bikes any more.

But for simplicity and braking that really couldn't be better for the riding I do, I would be perfectly happy if all my future road bikes came with rim brakes. Rim brakes work very well for me. I know how to maintain and adjust hydraulic discs, but regardless of what anyone says, rim brakes are easier, especially when traveling and not in my home "shop".

My three rim brake bikes are getting pretty old. I have couple (steel and titanium) from the 80s and 90s. My carbon fiber Felt with 10 speed shifting is pushing 12 years old now, but is my favorite and I consider it to be my most precious bike in that I don't think I'll be able to get a similar bike it in the future. The other two (titanium and steel) will be easy enough to replace with used good quality steel and titanium, it's "only" a matter of looking and affording... and I won't have any concerns - or certainly custom rim brake framesets in ti or steel will probably always be an option.

Although I love carbon fiber bikes, I would be hesitant to buy a used one, especially as time goes by, the used, rim-brake carbon fiber framesets will be pretty old and well used.

Anyway, I don't think parts will be a problem in my lifetime which is probably about 20-25 more years. But getting a new mass market carbon fiber frameset will. Might be the reason I just switch to steel or titanium all-in. But I do love carbon fiber frames!

Last edited by Camilo; 06-07-22 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-07-22, 11:28 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I can understand people not seeing the advantage of discs but fearing them? That I don't get. What is it that you fear?

Irrational Fear of the unknown?

and then again Change from soft cushy comfy familiar to something new unfamiliar always hard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.